Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Top 3 guards in semo this year?

Posted by head coach on Mon, Nov 19, 2012, at 10:54 PM:

#1 ruffin from sikeston he is a monster with the ball in his hand he can do anything with the rock,handles jumper he an all around player. Last year this man hit 33pt. that was contested come on now 3

#2 ryam parham from c town is another elite guard in semo he help led the blue jays to a championship last year and can shoot lights out when he is hot.

#3 idk about this spot I havent seen anyone outside the pack like these to.

Any thoughts?

Replies (162)

• From Scott-Mississippi Conference in no particular order....Johnson(SCC), Moore and/or Ressel (Oran), Sanders (SC)

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 7:59 AM
  • Ruffin, Ryam and Sanders.

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 8:07 AM
  • Ryan From Charleston, Michael From Charleston, Ruffin From Sikeston, And JT From Sikeston

-- Posted by ballerd on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 2:40 PM

Jamal Johnson from Caruthersville

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 2:41 PM
  • I'm pretty sure JT is not a guard for Sikeston.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:00 PM

Yeah, JT isn't a guard. The best two are Parham and Ruffin in whatever order you want to put them in. After that, there is a dropoff before we get to #3. I can't decide who I think that would be but they are not the Scott City kid. No offense to him.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:06 PM
  • Keep an eye on the Jamerson kid from NMCC. This kid has a lot of talent.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:12 PM

I thought it was spelled Jimmerson, Reddirt.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:14 PM
  • Wasn't sure, but I think your right Sideline. Thanks.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:15 PM

I think Willie Jimerson from NMCC is pretty good. He could mabye slide into the 3. Jordan Pavy from Risco is pretty good as well, im just not sold on Risco as a whole yet.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:17 PM

Sorry I was typing while you guys were haha. It's actually Jimerson if you want to get specific, but I spell it with two M's all the time by mistake haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:20 PM

Gotcha Buck. I had seen your spelling of it in the past which is what I was basing my assumption on.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:34 PM
  • Kevonte Mitchell from Kennett is pretty good too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:49 PM

I thought Mitchel played forward? If he is a guard, he definitely deserves to be in the top.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 3:53 PM
  • I remember him as a guard Cheesehead, but you may be right. Regardless, Mitchell is still one of the top players in Semo.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 4:01 PM

Yeah, I hesitated listing Mitchell because I couldn't remember if he played guard or forward and which he would play this year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 4:01 PM
  • Mitchell plays a combo guard but can play the 3 and 4 if need be. I would consider him the 3rd guard behind Parham and Ruffin, which could be listed in any order.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 4:02 PM

Parham is a better passer and has better vision but I would give Mitchell the advantage over Parham in scoring. He is much more of a scoring threat than Parham. I haven't watched Ruffin enough to make a case on him so I'll take Sideline's word for it.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 4:10 PM

Vashawn was first team all-state last year and is going to be quite the scorer this year I think. He played a lot of ball both with the Sikeston team and with a few of those AAU, travel, select, whatever teams I think. I'm not one who knows a ton about the AAU circuit so not sure what exactly you would call what kind of team he was playing on but the point is he played and improved a lot.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 4:27 PM
  • I believe he did play on an actual AAU team, as we as others.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 4:32 PM
  • As well as others. Spelling police.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 4:33 PM
  • Sideline...Are you going to tell us what other guards aren't in the top 3 or are you just going to single out my son. You're the only person out here that would say something like that. Just plain rude. Why would anyone single out a player as a guard who isn't in the top 3? The thread is "Top 3 Guards in SEMO This Year", not "The top 2 Guards and the Only Other Guard Who is NOT in The Top 3". I understand you have a right to your opinion but why would you single out one young man? The number 3 guard could be anybody but its definately not the SC kid...I'm sure Jesse wouldn't take offense to your comments but as always I do. I ask you as a personal favor, please don't comment on my son, good or bad.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:10 PM

Well, somebody listed him and I voiced my disagreement. Don't really care if he is your kid or not. I think Ruffin and Parham are. I would consider Jimerson. I would consider Mitchell. I would maybe consider Johnson but I don't think he is quite in that top tier. Michael from Charleston is pretty good. Pavy from Risco is a good small school guard but I don't think he's top three in the area. JT on Sikeston isn't a guard. And finally, Sanders is good, probably one of the better ones in the Scott-Miss conference along with the others you listed but I don't think top three in the area. There, that is every player mentioned on this thread as potentially amongst the best three in the area and my thoughts on them. I'd put Ruffin, Parham, and Mitchell as the best three as there are few kids in the area who come close to how good these three are. Most the other ones listed are good but not on the same level. Jimerson can get there and Michael Hull is one to consider. There are obviously others but those are the ones that stand out. If you can't stand the analysis, don't read. I will do you no personal favors.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:23 PM
  • Ronnie1, none of us are unbiased when it comes to our kids, but I didn't read Sideline's comment as a personal attack on your son. He just said he didn't think he was one of the top 3 guards in Semo.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:25 PM
  • drake from kennett is a good choice also. if you consider Mitchell a forward. he is fast,can score and handle the ball very well.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:26 PM

Ronnie just hates me Preach. It happens.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:28 PM
  • Preach, I just found it very coincidental that he would single out my son especially with his past opinions of SC basketball. He didn't call out any of the other young men mentioned as "not in the top 3". I didn't put Jesse in the top 3 in the area. I only mentioned Scott-Mississippi Conference because I know those boys and I've seen them all play. I don't gauge any players on how good they are if I haven't seen them play. I don't gauge kids on hearsay and others opinions of them.

Also hate is a strong word sideline...disdain would be more accurate.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:36 PM
  • But lets get past this and carry on with the thread.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:37 PM
  • That's why you shouldn't have ever let it be known who your son was in the first place.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:43 PM

You don't read, do you? Your buddy UFO did put him in the top three. I disagreed with that, noted my opinion, gave reasoning, let you get huffy and derail the thread, explained my thinking process on everyone, and we are now moving on. Sorry for the detour Ronnie caused everybody.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:43 PM
  • Haha sideline u dont wanna mess around with a mad mama!! U better start lookn over ur shoulder, she mite be coming after u haha! Ur post was fine, parents these days think their kids created God, ifya know what i mean.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:43 PM

The last comment obviously was not aimed at you BIGELW.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:43 PM
  • Oops ronnie is probly a mad daddy, sorry!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 5:49 PM

I would say Parham for sure. Ruffin is a good shooting guard haven't seen him in a true point guard position since Jamison ran point last two years a Wiggins before that. So this year would be the year to see him in the absolute point position. I have to say that SCC always produces a good talented guard. So it's up for grabs.Have a better position when season start.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 6:38 PM
  • Ruffin's game is silky smooth, and I would always call on him to make clutch shots. Parham is a physical beast though. He's thicker than some SEMO team's post players. He'll be a big scoring threat because he can get to the rim at will. These two will fight for top player in the area all year I believe

-- Posted by semo501 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 7:03 PM

Larandis Banks from SCC is also someone I believe an eye should be kept on.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 7:25 PM
  • Sideline--Your basketball cohorts are "sensitivie"...Ready for some football!! How bout those rebels? They're like Cape Central...Need to play a full 4 quarters and we would be 7 and 3!!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 7:39 PM

I know it Bullet. I'll be down in the land of cotton for the Egg Bowl this Saturday. That LSU game last weekend was a heartbreaker.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 8:41 PM
  • I agree about Larandis Banks. I think he will be a beast this year. I watched them play about six or seven times last year. This will be his team for the next two years should be exciting.

-- Posted by waw1981 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 9:32 PM
  • I'd say Ruffin and Parham are good choices, with Mitchell in there as well. Jimerson from NMCC would be a good 4th in my opinion. Mitchell plays the 2 most of the time and the big difference with him and the others on this list is that Mitchell is 6'4. He will be a difficult matchup. Not that the other won't be, but his size out on the perimeter makes him a really good prospect for the next level.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 10:27 PM
  • I think Banks from Scc may be the best

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 11:03 PM
  • I think Banks from Scc may be the best

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 11:03 PM
  • Stlscott--dont know about the best yet. I do think he can get there. He is only a junior this year. He shoots it good from the outside. As far as ball handling skills. That is yet to be seen as he hasnt ran the point a great deal. He is a smooth player and should do nothing but get better. SCC and its fans has a lot to look forward to.

-- Posted by waw1981 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 11:40 PM
  • the kid from Kennett (Mitchell) is a guard. I think he and the Jimerson kid from NMCC are probably the top 2 in the bootheel.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 11:43 PM
  • Holy Crap, someone is sensitive,. Sideline starter, just gave an honest opinion. Isnt that what we all do?

(Well suppose to do ) Im glad no one knows who my kids are. Would hate to get my undies in a bunch during thanksgiving !!!!

-- Posted by Hightops on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 8:53 AM
  • 1. Parham from Charleston. He's the best by a long shot and it is not even close. Dude is a stud.

2. Mitchell from Kennett and yes I do consider him a guard. Last year he played a lot of point guard and he is one of the top shooters in the area. At 6'4 he could be a big time player.

3. Ruffin from Sikeston is a good player. I'm interested to see how he plays without Jamison who was such an excellent player.

4. Jimmerson from NMCC. This kid could be special. He can get to the rim or shoot the 3. I want to see him develop the mid range game. If he does he could be the best in the area before he graduates.

5. Banks from SCC. The next great guard to suit up for the Braves. Look for him to have a great season as the leader of a young team.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 10:40 AM
  • Jimmerson's future is exciting. I saw him take over a couple games for his team last season as a freshman. This year he'll be NMCC's primary scoring threat and will definitely put up good numbers!

-- Posted by semo501 on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 1:01 PM
  • banks is in the top 3 for sure.. just wait.. and Peyton Montgomery a sophomore point guard at Chaffee is really a good player just needs to get a bit more consistent on his outside shooting

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Nov 21, 2012, at 2:02 PM
  • 1.Ruffin-Sikeston

2.Walker-Portageville

3.Parham-Charleston

4.Jimmerson-Nmcc

-- Posted by Cheesepuff on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 11:49 AM
  • Look for Al Young at Cape. He's only a freshman, but is very quick and smooth. He's not a top area guard at this point, but he will hold his own with them.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 12:12 PM
  • 1. Jesse Sanders

2. Nick Van Exel

3. Eddie Jones

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 1:37 PM
  • Cheesehead, I forgot about Portageville's Dom Walker. He certainly deserves consideration as one of the top guards in the area.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 2:52 PM
  • And the bait has been set.. Whose dumb enough

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 5:32 PM
  • Oops, sorry Cheesepuff. I see I gave Cheesehead credit for your mention of Walker instead of you.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 5:42 PM
  • What about Davis from Leopold

-- Posted by Hello3 on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 8:55 PM
  • Haha it's ok preech but yeah he was an all-stater last year and I see him coming back even stronger this year he's and under the radar player

-- Posted by Cheesepuff on Thu, Nov 22, 2012, at 10:29 PM
  • I haven't seen anyone from south of SCC enough to rank them, but from just the kids I've seen play personally:

(1) Parham

(2) Banks

(3) Sanders

(4) Moore

(5) Davis

(6) Ressel

There are lots of teams I have not seen and lots of guards out there that I'm sure I've overlooked but these are six of the better guards in the area without a doubt.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Nov 23, 2012, at 9:39 AM
  • Parham is a step above the other 5 but the rest of my list really could be in any order.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Nov 23, 2012, at 9:41 AM
  • Parham is the best gaurd in the area..Hands down the other guys don't come close..He's a true point gaurd he passes 1st and can take a team apart by himself..He is top 5 in the state..Ruffin not so much he's decent,but not on Parhams level..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Fri, Nov 23, 2012, at 12:20 PM
  • GotRings...I agree with you but have you seen any of those other guys play?

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Nov 23, 2012, at 2:55 PM
  • Who will be running point for Cape Central, ND, and Jackson this year?

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Nov 23, 2012, at 3:02 PM
  • My new rankings go like this Parham, Jimmerson, Mitchell, Banks, and Ruffin. I was really impressed with Jimmerson. He has improved. I was also impressed with Mitchell because he looks stronger and took it hard to the basket but he still coasts on D. Parham is the best in the area by a long shot.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Nov 24, 2012, at 8:34 AM
  • I havent posted on here because I wonted to see were it will go

1st some of the post on here has ruffin as 5 or not even in the covo but lets think about this. He has play for sikeston since he was young he know the system, when him and ryan parhym were freshman I remember being at that game it was a straight up shoot out between them two before ruffin got hurt, as a sophmore he play behind darryl howard and still put up great number on the varsity level, last season he was just a monster he put up plenty of sikeston points last season and was a big reason they won some of those games also mad all state and was in the 11th grade. Him being a senior now I cant imagine what level of play this kid is at now while everyone else was at home eating he was some where hooping in some of u guys eyes he may not be number 1 but for u guy not to put him in the convo as top three is just stupied

-- Posted by head coach on Sun, Nov 25, 2012, at 11:20 AM
  • head coach... I only left him out of mine because I've never seen him play. I only ranked players I've seen play in person. I'm sure he's in the mix though.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Sun, Nov 25, 2012, at 2:13 PM
  • GotRings, you're obviously from Charleston based on your completely biased opinion. While I agree that Parham is one of the top two guards in the area, to say that no one is even close to him is an asinine statement. Ruffin is at LEAST as good as Parham, and could be better. That's just my opinion but there's no way there's that big of a gap in those two players.

-- Posted by Brownbomber on Sun, Nov 25, 2012, at 2:54 PM
  • Brownbomber thats what im saying there both good amd no im from sikeston if u were asking me where im from and ruffin is going to show everyone who dont think so BIGRED WE RED HOT HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by head coach on Sun, Nov 25, 2012, at 5:48 PM
  • Brownbomer what can I say..My name speaks for it's self(Rings)lol..So you know something..Ruffin is very talented I know the kid and I've got respect for his game..He is capable of scoring big @ times..I know them both pretty well..Honestly I've watched and played pick up games with Ruffin and Parham on more than 1occassion..Both good gaurds ruffin is the closes 2Parham i've seen.. He has my vote 4second best gaurd in semo..I just give cred when its due..My opinion is just that..My opinion..I give all semo teams and coaches their just due..Doesn't matter where im from I rep. semo..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Sun, Nov 25, 2012, at 10:27 PM
  • I would go with:

1. Ryan Parham is an extremely solid basketball player all around. He handles the ball very well, plays great defense, and is very capable of a double-double any given night. Ryan makes everybody around him a better player.

2. Vashawn Ruffin caught my eye his sophmore year in the state semifinals when he took over to swing the momentum Sikestons way. I thought that it was a scary sight in the making for most bootheel teams seeing as though he was only a sophmore then. He's done nothing but impress me since. Can't wait to see what he has in store for us this year.

3. Willie Jimerson only a sophmore, he is terrorizing to the opposing defense. He can pick you apart piece by piece anyway he desires. His incredible jumping ability isn't to shabby either. Standing at a brief 5'9 and throwing down 2 handed jams (as seen at the riverbend) is pretty impressive to me. Before this season is over, he may even slip into my #1 spot before the year is up.

-- Posted by dont worry on Sun, Nov 25, 2012, at 11:08 PM
  • Boy,

That Uncle Charlie sure is a smart one. Comparing our Sanders to two retired professionals.

We sure do appreciate your continued support of Ram basketball!!!

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 5:43 AM
  • Yeah UFO...I don't think Jesse is as good as those 2 but if Charlie believes that, I appreciate it and if not, I thought Rachel had rules out here regarding belittling high school players.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 2:34 PM
  • Do you know when SC plays Oran, UFO? Its at Oran I think.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 2:35 PM
  • Sideline---You need to get control of these rabid basketball folks!! Hotty Toddy!! We dominated State and are headed to a bowl!!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 6:46 PM

Hey Bullet, I'll let the rabid be rabid. Helps me look more sane. Hah. And man oh man was Saturday night phenomenal to see live. I'll be at the bowl game as well. Hotty Toddy to you buddy.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 7:15 PM
  • I'm trying to get a group to go to bowl also..Wonder which one we'll get? I had to watch on tv but that was dominant...Hopefully Freeze can continue and we can get that number one recruit from Geogia...Carry on with the basketball thread but had to get my 2 cents in!!!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 7:19 PM

Lots of fluid, moving parts in regards to which bowl Ole Miss gets. It is either the Music City Bowl in Nashville or the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham. I don't know about you but I would much prefer doing New Year's Eve in Nashville. In regards to the number one recruit in the nation from Georgia, Robert Nkemdiche, it is essentially 100% he is going to commit to Ole Miss in the next two weeks. I actually saw his brother Denzel, a redshirt freshman linebacker for Ole Miss who should be all-SEC this year, out on the Square late Saturday night and talked to him for a minute. He told me Robert would be at Ole Miss and it was a done deal. It's an exciting time to be a Rebel fan. Sorry to derail the thread but I wanted to give Bulletman the full scoop. I may start a thread over on the college discussion forum and keep you updated on the recruiting class if you want me to Bullet.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 7:24 PM
  • I was thinking Liberty Bowl or Music City....I also talked to a softball player at the Vandy/Ole Miss game that knows Nkemdiche and she said it was a done deal...When momma speaks, sons listen!!..His brother is a beast at Ole Miss and we have the number 1 QB from Mississippi coming next year but I was impressed with Wallace...Great arm!! Somehow I need your cell number so we can get together at the next opportunity...Which isn't basketball!! HA!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 7:35 PM

sideline and bulletman....when were you at Ole Miss....my son graduated from Ole Miss; he was there when Eli was; he is a fraternity brother of Justin Wade and Big Todd Wade

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 8:46 PM
  • Ronnie,

I do not know when we play Oran. I believe it will be a good game this year.

Wonder who our favorite Uncle will cheer for? His hometown team or our Rams that he enjoys bragging about so much??

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 9:50 PM
  • LOL...we play them next Friday @ Oran. They won big tonite also.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Nov 26, 2012, at 10:11 PM
  • Back to the three best guards. Those that saw the Charleston and North Little Rock game got to see a remarkable matchup between Parham and the Little Rock point guard. Maybe the first time I have seen Parham physically outmatched. But in the end he found a way to lead his team to the win. Never underestimate mental toughness and the desire to win.

-- Posted by Swish on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 8:47 AM
  • Josh Daume will be running the point for Jackson this year, I'd imagine. I don't know if you all watched any games but he is much further along the road than jimmerson from nmcc. If I recall from the dexter shoot out in the summer, jimmerson's immaturity led him to get easily frustrated, and never made a significant impact for his team. He has more talent than most, he just needs to do a little growing up, which will happen in the next couple of years. He's just not elite at the moment.

-- Posted by Bluecando on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:17 PM

Summer ball and high school ball are much different. I'd say Jimerson is off to a good start so far. He scored 29 and 23 in his first two games.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:29 PM

I guess it will come down to CHS vs SHS in January when they meet an Ruffin an Parham will showcase their team. I think CHS will prob hav the upper hand because as usual CHS came out at the riverbend with a secret weopon of a kid I hadn't heard of. So until they match up I guess it's a toss up.I still say Riffin is a shooting guard more so than a point. He can shoot the Ball anywhere on the court but had problems turning the ball over under pressure. I'm sure with summer AAU play he has gotten better. Anybody can score but a true guard assist an scores interesting to see how it plays out.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:45 PM
  • THE GUARDS FROM ORAN IS A LITTLE OVER RATED I THINK FROM WHAT I've seen .

-- Posted by exoball on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 1:55 PM
  • Which guard exo? If you saw them play last night I understand your point even though that might have been the worse guard play/game Oran has played in the last two years.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:10 PM
  • I wouldn't put him in the top 3 but that sophomore from malden is starting to make a name for himself. He scored 41 on chaffee with 11 rebounds then scored 29 on scc. He is showing potential especially for his age.

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:25 PM
  • Don't judge anyone this early guys. Oran's guard play will be among the best in the area. I've watched those guys for several years getting better and better. They'll be outstanding before midseason imo.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:31 PM

I'm actually in agreement with ole Ron on this one. Somebody is feeling cordial today.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:33 PM
  • LOL...It can't be me. I'm the same smart aleck a'hole everyday!!!!!!!But I'm glad we agree!Probably on both things!LOL

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:37 PM
  • Oran better have good guard play tonight to get past maldens defense. Im sure malden will run that full court press.

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:58 PM
  • oran will beat malden by at least 12 imo

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 5:05 PM
  • i believe banks should be in the top 3

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 5:06 PM
  • I say malden by 5 and scc by 15

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 5:12 PM
  • i look for alex and seth to come up big for oran tonight imo but it will be a good game....only thing oran needs is bigger parking lot lol i thought i was at state having to walk a half mile to the gym lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 5:20 PM
  • kmasters I remember having to take a bus from a church a quarter mile down the road to Delta's gym for districts back when Oran and BC played in the early 2000s so it could be worse but I agree its not the best.

As for the game, I look for Oran to slow it down against Malden and play some type of zone and make Malden hit thier shots. Malden plays out of control. As long as Oran makes Malden play half-court defense and Oran gets back on defense I think they will be just fine.

Oran 72, Malden 61

SCC vs Advance has potential to be a great game. I was beyond impressed with Advance last night. If Barr has a game like last night this could be a close one folks. However, I look SCC's speed and pressure to win them this one.

SCC 66, Advance 59

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:07 PM
  • Unc I agree with you. But knowing maldens athleticism and speed has the defensive advantage over Oran I'd say if malden executes their press and gains a slight lead they will win but if they cannot capitalize then Oran will win b.y by 10 or more

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:17 PM
  • if malden would stay in control of the ball and quit taking bad shots they could be alot better than they are..they have some pretty good kids that can play ,but they play out of control alot and that hurts them..they play pretty good though

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:54 PM
  • im telling all of ya if you havent seen banks play for scc you need to go watch him.....he is only a junior and he is a beast. he can shot from outside,he can take you from the dribble and he will dunk on you....a very good kid.

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 11:03 PM
  • Back to the original topic. So far this year #1 has to be Jimmerson from NMCC. The numbers don't lie! They may have lost a close one last night but it was not because of him. Check the stats.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 10:41 PM

Pure scoring numbers doesn't mean you are the best guard. You have to look at other stats inlcuding assists, rebounds, steals, and assist-turnover ratios when comparing guards. Also, look at which guard position they are playing.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 8:23 AM

Dion Foster from Portageville is a Excellent Point Guard. Arguably one of the top 3 POINT Guards in this area. Very underrated

-- Posted by Dirty Dan on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 1:56 PM
  • Not saying one is better than another , I am saying Mitchell from kennett will be a D-1 player after next year. More than lickley as a guard

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 7:22 PM
  • I've seen Mitchell play quite a bit the last couple years, and I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he could be a D-1 prospect. Not saying the kid isn't good, just not D-1 good.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 7:41 PM
  • I'm sure if he was playing for sikeston or charleston he would be on your list but since he's not , I guess he wouldn't even start for either team much less play at the next level. We will see after next year.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 7:53 PM
  • Mitchell is a D1 guard, period. To suggest that he isn't just shows your ignorance for basketball. He is 6'3 and there isn't much he can't do. I'm not saying he is the best player in SEMO but fact is God gave him the body/ability and that's what will separate him from the other small guards around here. I'd take any bet out there that says he won't be D1.

-- Posted by indianchief on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 8:11 PM
  • Bleacherking,

That's a good spot for you, in the bleachers and preferably without offering any opinions on basketball.

-- Posted by indianchief on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 8:12 PM
  • Thought he was 6'4 but either way he will be a D-1 player. Might be 6'5 by then. Again if he played a little north of knnt they would be singing a different tune.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 8:29 PM
  • Mitchell has the size of a D-1 guard, yes. Does he have the skill set of one? Not that I've seen. I think he scored 20+ at the Riverbend against West Memphis, but I think his turnovers also had to be somewhere in that range as well. Fact is, everybody saying he will go D-1 is from Kennett.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 9:15 PM
  • If he played at sikeston or cape or charleston , I would still say he is a D-1 player. Yes people from knnt say that because they see him every game and know what he is capable of. Either way it's an opinion, we will find out after next year

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 9:28 PM
  • Mitchell is just a junior and keeps getting better and better. He didn't play very well against west Memphis and still scored 20 plus and had foul trouble. No excuses, that happens. He has been over 20pts every game and grabbed 18 boards against cville. He is a do it all guard who will only get better. Biggest factor is he is a great kid with great grades and has a chance of getting drafted in baseball. I'm not saying he doesn't have things to work on but I assure you that he will have SEVERAL D1 schools knocking at his door next year. Name me one 6'3 guard who you have seen that's better in SEMO last ten years who isn't named Hansborough.

-- Posted by indianchief on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 10:09 PM

Greg Tucker? I think he was 6'3, not sure though. I agree about Mitchell, the kid can straight play ball.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 10:32 PM
  • I personally don't see him as a Division 1 guard either AT THIS POINT. Not to say he won't get better. To answer your question IndianChief, you are right, very few people can name one better. However, the biggest reason for this is because almost every 6 foot 3 kid in semo ISN'T A GUARD. And with the size Mitchell is, I can assure you Kennett's schedule is THANKFUL that he isn't playing inside more. With the young guards Kennett has now, they obviously only choose to do this for the kid's sake and not the team's, which is their right. I think Mitchell can play by the way, honestly I do. But I think he needs to get alot stronger, and alot tougher mentally. I have seen him taken out of his game and disappear by defenders with much less ability who get really physical with him.

-- Posted by No sir on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:31 AM
  • He better learn to play through being beat and banged around cause at the next level be it Juco through D1 everybody plays physical.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:45 AM
  • To Bleacherking & anyone else that thinks the MITCHELL kid is not D1 potential, this is the MITCHELL kid mom. You all have the right to your own opinion but i have facts right now that their is 2 D1 schools looking at the MITCHELL kid right now & also staying in touch. Shall i name them!!! Not to mention he's a great baseball player either way he will go to college. By the way he is a legit 6'4.

-- Posted by ktown mom on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:41 AM
  • 1) Ryan Parham

2) Willi Jimmerson

3) Vashawn Ruffin

-- Posted by CTFan on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:06 AM
  • Here we go another Ronnie letting it be known who their kid is.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:08 AM

I'm sure those D1 schools see the upside of Mitchell; I believe he has tremendous potential beyond where he is, right now.

I've also seen kids offered D1 scholarships that I saw play and my thoughts were, "what are they thinking?" But, most of those kids turned out to be contributors to their respective programs. My point being, most scouts know talent when they see it.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:10 AM
  • That's right BIGELW we are what you call PROUD Parents.Some of guys get on here with only opinions i'm getting on here with FACTS!! With that being said i will let you all continue on with your opinions.

-- Posted by ktown mom on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:20 AM
  • Nothing wrong with being a proud parent heck i am too. I hope he does get to go D1 but i have yet to see it the couple times i've seen him play. Just stating my opinion.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:37 AM
  • How did you guys think Al Young looked last night as a freshman against Sikeston's defense. I saw in the box score he had 17 and didn't make a 3. Was he shooting just inside the arc or driving a lot?

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:39 AM
  • He looked good. Lots of drives to the basket and hit several free throws. I don't recall any shots outside the paint

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:44 AM
  • Terry... there has to be a good 1A game somewhere tonight....go find it.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:50 AM
  • Ktown mom, I'm sure these guys didn't mean to offend you. They can have their opinion about who can play what. I think your son is a great player and will have his choice in baseball or basketball at the next level. It doesn't matter what they think anyway. We know

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 7:59 PM
  • Ktownmom,

No need for you to defend your son. I know it's natural for a mom to defend her kid but this isn't a place for mom or dad to do so because a lot of people on here don't know the truth. Fact is, I know you and your husband and you are great parents and have raised a great son. Just let the haters talk, that's what they do.

-- Posted by indianchief on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:14 PM
  • No Sir,

Problem with people like you is you make comments that sound good, but aren't true. For example, name one defender or instance where a defender has made Mitchell disappear. You can't do it, I bet ya. Fact is, he avg 17.7 as a sophomore against a stiff achedule(26 at charleston as a sophomore and avg 20 plus against SEMO teams as a sophomore. Most people didn't know much about Greg Tucker until his junior year. This year will open everyone's eyes about Mitchell and if someone can't see this kid as a D1 kid, they don't know the game. Cheesehead, I loved Tucker but he wasn't the size of Mitchell and I will argue that Mitchells upside is a lot higher long term.

-- Posted by indianchief on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:19 PM
  • His upside is huge, can't wait to see how far he goes

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:38 PM
  • No sir is a Risco fan, what do he know about a division 1 player!!!!!!!

-- Posted by kdjones on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:54 PM

After what I saw tonight, Dion Foster is by far the best shooter I've seen this year. He runs that offense pretty good, even though they didn't get the win.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:57 PM
  • how did domonique do

-- Posted by kdjones on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:05 PM

He didn't do to much for what I seen. I'm not sure why either. Maybe it was just an off game.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:09 PM
  • who's the gaurd from Twin Rivers they say he liget.

-- Posted by exoball on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 7:03 PM
  • Michael Snider probably.

-- Posted by Hornets on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 7:12 PM
  • he will have his hands full with the bulldogs.

-- Posted by exoball on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 7:19 PM
  • Snider had 27 tonight against the bulldogs.

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 9:54 PM
  • That was one big win for TR.Keep playing hard good thing happen.

-- Posted by Royal Flush on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:18 AM
  • portageville better step it up this week is seed week for bloomfield christmas tournament.

-- Posted by exoball on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 8:41 AM
  • Mitchell- Kennett

Newbill-Hayti

Shephard S. Pem (girl)

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 10:26 AM
  • My kid had 18 vs Charleston last year. Your handle proves you don't know jack about basketball. Run along and play with your bat and baseball. There are some very good guards out there in some of the small schools. Davis from Leopold, Ressel from Oran, Moore from Oran, SCC's guards, some others. Also how can you rank a player you haven't seen? I don't rank anything strictly by hearsay and someone else's opinion.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 2:01 PM
  • I'm not saying there isn't some good guards on the small schools but the difference in my opinion is that most the bigger schools play tougher competion night in and night out and that's what the difference is. Most, not all of those guys aren't going to look as good if they played against thougher teams almost every night.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 2:27 PM

I'd say four of the top six guards in the area played in the SEMO Conference tourney last week (Ruffin, Parham, Hull, and Jimerson) as well as two guys who will definitely be in the discussion in the future (Robert Bogan and Al Young). The other two that would be in my top six are Mitchell from Kennett and Banks from SCC. Those six have all been pretty consistent so far this year. Sure, they haven't had lights out numbers every night but they are all consistent and doing their job against the first string of their opponent primarily. Ruffin, Parham, and Hull are seeing the best go against them and play against good schedules being on Sikeston and Charleston. Every night, their opponent knows they are playing for a statement win, kind of like playing the Heat in the NBA right now. They are bringing their best against them and those three guards are showing out. I'd say the six I named are on a different tier than the rest of the guards in the area.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 2:56 PM

sideline, while both Robert and Del Bogan play at the guard spot, it's probably Del that you'll be hearing about in the future....he's a soph and getting plenty of playing time and is quite impressive. His brother, Robert, is no slouch but Del is the better of the two on the hardwoods; Robert is the better on the gridiron.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 3:13 PM

I do get them mixed up birdfan. I meant to include Del in the next good players group as well. Thanks for differentiating for me.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 3:20 PM
  • 1) Mitchell from kennett hes 6'4 and avgeraging 20 something a game and against c ville he pulled 18 boards.. hes an all around player and can play multiple postions

2) ryan parham from charleston- hes had 4 years of varsity experience and is a true pg he has a nice shooting touch hes not much as a scoring threat but that doesnt mean to not guard him because he can hurt you with 3 ball.

Ruffin-havent seen him play but he is a good player from what I read and can take control of the game if needed

-- Posted by Fathead73 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 4:00 PM
  • Ronnie---I don't have a dog in this fight but the thread is about the TOP 3 guards in SEMO..Not the top 3 guard you've seen play. Those 2 kids from Oran would get torched by any the the guards Sideline has posted, even the freshman from Cape.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 4:20 PM
  • That's so ironic bulletman if you understand what I'm saying.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 5:05 PM
  • I was talking to someone who attends Webster Groves the other day and he was telling me that the schools up there call class 4 the JV league. If people up north in Class 5 call class 4 the JV league I wonder what they call the classes under 4, sorry but there is just too big of difference between Class 4 & 5, and classes 1 2 and 3. The guards at these smaller schools don't play the big boys in class 4 and 5 and really just cant keep up with these bigger schools guards. I would have to agree with bulletman, even the freshman from cape would destroy these smaller school kids this year.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 5:19 PM

Ok folks, didn't Poplar Bluff just loose a basketball game to South Iron again (Class One school)...makes second year in a row. BIGELW, yes big schools see better competition every night, but that does not automatically equal better players.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 5:49 PM
  • Lose not loose

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 6:02 PM
  • Ive seen Webster play this year and as good as they are every year they looked like a JV squad, IMO basketball is down in st louis this year.

-- Posted by stlscott on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 7:09 PM
  • I do think Maplewood is going to be hard to handle, and they play kind of a brutal schedule which will help in the end.

-- Posted by stlscott on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 7:10 PM
  • I didn't say its always true but most of the time it is.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 7:16 PM
  • south iron though is one of the best class 1 teams in the state year in and year out. so i wouldnt hold it against poplar bluff to much.

-- Posted by Nelly62 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 7:58 PM
  • banks would start for any of those teams ya mentioned and yes he is from the small 1a school.lol class doesnt mean crap......its if you have the ability to play at a higher level not what class you are playing in...get real if the class determines if you are good our not,then i guess bubba is average because he played for a 1a school noooooooottttttttt

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 8:07 PM

Yes, you are right Nelly, South Iron is/has been one of the best class one schools in the state and ofcourse SCC has even been better. A lot of folks seem to be making the old big school is better argument. They forget that SEMO and TRC have no problem with recruiting small school talent: Nick Niemczk from Bell City (class one)plays for SEMO; James Macklin from North Pemiscot (class one) plays for TRC; and Jordan McGowen from Bernie (class two) plays for TRC. And of course, the most famous Class One player from the Bootheel, Otto Porter plays for Georgetown.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 8:22 PM
  • Nick was the only one out of them offered a scholarship from TRC. And I'm not saying that some guys from small schools can't outplay guys from bigger schools but its a small %.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:00 PM
  • lol is all i can do smh lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:07 PM

How many guys from Poplar Bluff are playing for either TRC or SEMO right now? This is a rhetorical question....

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:09 PM
  • 2 guys from pb playing at MAC

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:15 PM
  • what big school are you saying is good cape an jackson are down i heard. and they are big schools.

-- Posted by Royal Flush on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 1:36 PM
  • T H 4 P said the big schools he watched are not big caliber just so so...

-- Posted by Royal Flush on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 1:59 PM
  • Jackson was supposed to be really good this year, not sure what's going on with them. Cape is really young and I didn't expect them to be where they are now. They're playing pretty well and will only get better. Either of these teams would still dominate the small schools though.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 3:30 PM
  • banks is a beast i think he had 38 against billings today .good job bub,keep up the hard work you are going places keep the head straight and the heart of ball going

-- Posted by kmasters on Sat, Dec 15, 2012, at 5:28 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: