Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Is a state title the only way to measure a season?

Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 9:05 AM:

I read Larry Doby's thread...."the only poll that matters" is the last one. I was pondering this yesterday as I was mowing my yard. Ha!

Is a state title the only indicator of a "good" season? If so, only 5 teams in Missouri have a "good" season each year. In other words...if you don't win a state title, did you have a "bad" season?

I tend to think that the success of the season is determined by the goals of the team. If the realistic goal for a team is a state title and the team doesn't attain that goal, it may be an underachieving or "bad" season. However, if a team's goal is to reach the district finals, but wins districts....I would say that team had a "good" season. It's just not possible to win a title every year.

What do you guys think?

Replies (13)

• It should not be the measuring stick. Sometimes the best coaching might happen on a team that is well under .500. In high school your are dealt the cards and you must play them. Sometimes a great season can't be measured on wins and losses.

-- Posted by minn13 on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 9:13 AM
  • I don't think Larry was implying that a state championship was the only means to measure a team's success. I think what he was saying was that, when it comes to polls (which everyone on SEMOBALL rants and raves about them when they come out), the only poll that matters is the last one. I agree with minn13, you can't even always look at the record and tell whether it was a successful season.

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 9:32 AM
  • I agree, minn. You are definitely right. Sometimes just getting to .500 might be the best a team can be.

I also agree, deadred. I don't think he was implying that. It just got me to thinking. I was mowing my yard yesterday and thinking.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 10:01 AM

I agree with the prior post.Let me say this because you know some ignorant comment is coming from a certain HHM poster.I do think that success is in the goals set.It would be great to win to STATE year in and out but sometimes it doesnt work that way.If you have a program that is struggling winning only 10 games one season and your goal is to win 15 the next year,success has come in that fashion.Look at KU{I know this is HS ball}but with teams Calipari has put together can you say he did have good ball clubs because he didnt win National Championships before.Noooooo.You have teams that sometimes win with the luck of a draw.Success is when your players go and play hard every game.Some of the best games I saw this year were with the teams who knew they were underdogs and played tough until they ran out of gas.But the competed.Winning is always great.One knows you cant win all the time and you can become better with loss because you know your weakness and work that way forward...Sorry for the essay.The SE area proved that they have good ball in place because of the representation in Arkansas wins St Louis wins Illinois wins an Columbia wins.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 10:07 AM
  • I'm sure someone will get on here and disagree with everyone but I tend to agree with what's be said. A championship is everyones goal at the beginning of the season, from little league to the pros. But not all teams have a shot at a championship. If a teams loses every basketball game one year but wins 10 the next, I say that team had a good season even though they probably had a losing record.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 11:03 AM

As deadred posted I was just talking about polls and I agree with the majority that a championship is not the only measure of success.

I wonder what the over/under is on how many posts before we lose civility?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 11:27 AM
  • I agree , success isnt always measured in wins/losses. If your team shows Heart, Class, and good sportsmanship. And they play hard all the time. Then youve had a successful season. only one team a class wins a State Title, but there are alot of schools that have successful seasons.... My 2 cents....

-- Posted by Hightops on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 11:59 AM

I agree with what everyone said as far as teams being able to set goals that aren't state championships and achieve them. I guess I tend to believe that teams can have good years without winning a state title, but only for a short period of time. Three years down the road no one says "remember 3 years ago when we had a pretty good season and won more games than the season before that". So I think state title are the way we measure long term success. No one on here talks about the greats district winning teams for the 70's, but they do talk about state titles. State championships last for decades, they go down in the record books. So good season short term, state titles long term is my opinion.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 12:07 PM
  • Success isn't measured in state titles. Example, SCC this year. Instead of their coach getting a raise, they took him before the board for his job. This story will last for decades...

-- Posted by country-dude on Fri, Apr 6, 2012, at 9:05 PM
  • I agree that success cannot be measured by state titles. That is asinine statement.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 9:29 AM
  • SCC lost 10 games, they lost the Christmas tournament, and they lost their conference. If they had not won the state championship, I think the general opinion would have been they had a bad season.

-- Posted by igobybob on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 1:24 PM
  • Because scc should OBVIOUSLY win the Christmas tournament every year and those other schools like Scott City and Kelly should NEVER beat scc either lol

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 3:15 PM
  • Or the fact they lost Otto Porter

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 4:52 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: