Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: State Champions?

Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 3:20 PM:

I like South Iron in Class 1.

Replies (41)

• But my opinion could change after I cover the South-Iron-Caruthersville game this Saturday.

It will be the first time I've watched South Iron in person.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 3:21 PM

If you haven't seen a team in person how can you predict them to win it? Not much logic there.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 3:33 PM
  • Kobeyashi

By studying their history this season and based on my observations on how they have performed in past seasons in the playoffs.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 3:41 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Call me old fashion, but I actually have to watch a team to make a BOLD statement that they will win State. I mean records, and who you beat don't mean anything. It is all about match ups and being able to see them play and see those match ups. There are teams that their records might not be the best, but I would take them over teams with a better record. If that makes sense

If you based it off of that then there is no way the NY Giants should have won the Super Bowl.

But I guess that is why you get paid the big bucks.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 3:45 PM

Class 1: Risco

Class 2: No idea. Someone outside SEMO

Class 3: Charleston

Class 4: Sikeston

Class 5: McCluer North

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 3:55 PM

Class 1 = SCC

Class 2 = Salisbury

Class 3 = Charleston

Class 4 = If it isn't Sikeston I don't care who wins...

Class 5 = Mcluer North

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 4:12 PM

I'm just predicting Classes I show interest in, which is all but Class 5.

C1-SCC until beaten

C2-Holcomb

C3-Charleston

C4-Sikeston

I think anyone that comes out of Class 2 district 1 has a chance to win it and also Class 3 district 1.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 4:13 PM
  • Class 1- SCC

Class 2- Sturgeon

Class 3- Ritter

Class 4- Borgia

Class 5- Nixa

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 4:41 PM
  • Only SEMO teams I see having a great shot are Charleston and maybe SCC, just because its Class 1.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 5:15 PM
  • Class 1-Risco

Class 2-Sturgeon (Holcomb could make a playoff run)

Class 3-Charleston

Class 4-I would love to see Sikeston win again but my gut tells me Soldan or Borgia might have something to say about that

Class 5-Vianney

-- Posted by dont worry on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 5:18 PM
  • Who's going to beat Borgia, scott? Even in down years, they always seem to play well when it matters. I see you've criticized 3 or 4 peoples' opinions...why did you ask for predictions then?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 5:25 PM

Hillcrest is better than Borgia and would see them in quarters. If Soldan is eliminated before the finals, I'd say Sikeston would be the favorite.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 5:37 PM

Charleston want back down from Cardinal Ritter if they do make it to Columbia. Both teams have to make it, and it will take more than just Ritters highly taunted recruit to beat the Jays. 5+5+ a bench. Tucker, Scott, Parham, Cassel, Grey, Watkins, Bogan,Bogan,

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 6:05 PM

The Jays Michael Hull, we are legit just like Ritter.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 6:08 PM

Oh, and the Jays Carter too, we are deep + some more jv players.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 6:10 PM
  • Class 1: Risco

Class 2: Sturgeon

Class 3: Charleston

Class 4: Sikeston

Class 5: McCluer North

I can also see Leopold and Holcomb making a deep playoff runs. Same for Notre Dame if they beat Sikeston in districts.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 6:14 PM

LAST BUT NOT LEAST........THE BIG DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 6:15 PM

Notre Dame and Sikeston, should be a battle!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 6:17 PM
  • Does anybody know the dates of the class 4 and 5 Final 4?

-- Posted by thepurpleturtle on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 6:57 PM
  • This will tell you all you need to know.

http://www.mshsaa.org/Activities/Info/Basketball.aspx

-- Posted by igobybob on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 7:06 PM
  • i could see in class 1 scc making a deep run if they play as a team...class 2 dont really see anybody from the semo area....class 3 charleston thats a no brainer.....class 4 i could see sikeston make a deep run.....and class 5 nobody again from semo......also could see risco,and notre dame be suprising playoff teams it will be fun to see how the state run plays out..... march madness got to love it

-- Posted by big_daddy1694 on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 9:59 PM
  • I just put Borgia because like farm said, that team comes to play in the playoffs. Its gunna take some studs to beat Nixa in Class 5.

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 11:10 PM
  • sorry guys but i don't see sikeston repeating. i understand the loyalty but ND has as much a chance as sikeston to win, and thats very very little. soldan will win. don't get me wrong, i think the winner of class 4 district 1 makes it to state again, but i'd be surprised with a championship. hope i am wrong

-- Posted by V,B on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 11:15 PM
  • Niixa will have to do something they don't do and that is play some D if they want to win state

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 12:01 AM
  • Class 1. SCC

Class 2. Sturgeon, Salisbury, Harrisbugh, Fayette, or Douglas, Whoever comes out of that district.

Class 3. Charleston, MRH, Ritter, or Hogan Prep

Class 4. Sikeston, Soldan, Westminister, or Hillcrest

Class 5. McCluer. McCluer North, Webster, or Vianney

Class 2. Douglas has a player averaging over 30 a game. Folks in Columbia says he's the best player in the area. Gotta go see him next week.

-- Posted by country-dude on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 1:24 AM
  • Class 1: Southland

Class 2: Senath

Class 3: Malden

Class 4: Ste. Genevieve High School

Class 5: Poplar Bluff High School

-- Posted by X-Man on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 8:21 AM
  • No one gave the Bulldogs a real chance last year either. They just need to take care of business in their district and anything can happen in the playoffs. Don't count them out. They have went against odds all year with their lack of height. Hard work and heart is a dangerous attribute.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 8:57 AM

Sideline Starter Bold Prediction: whoever wins Class 4 District 1 will be in the state finals.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 9:04 AM

Go ahead and pencil in Desoto, but have your eraser handy. There is an outside chance that they are upset in their DC game. Sikeston will have their hands full with ND as we already know.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 9:19 AM

If I were to seed the Sikeston quarter of the Class 4 bracket, I really think Sikeston and ND are the top two teams, better than DeSoto, Imagine, Farmington, Festus or anyone else. Now, if there were actual seeding, I think Sikeston would get the one, DeSoto the two, and ND and Imagine would battle for three and four but I stand by my prediction that Sikeston or ND will be in the state final. Everybody has seemed afraid of making a bold prediction this season so I felt like going bold.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 9:19 AM
  • Scott County Central has a very small lineup to win state. It's not unheard of. But history suggests it is unlikely.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 2:19 PM

Exactly Scott. Heck, Sikeston wasn't exactly hulking last year and they went undefeated. I'd trade size for talent anyway especially in Class 1.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 2:25 PM
  • That "little" Portageville team had a Division I caliber point guard, a 6-2 kid that could flat play and a 6-2 space eater inside. But yes, I do agree that was a classic David vs. Goliath matchup that year and shocking to see Portageville beat them. Jahidi White getting 3 first half charges was the key. He sat most of the first half, so then Ritter was a sophomore dominated lineup. Loren Woods, while 7-foot, was still a sophomore and frankly not a good basketball player at all at that time. Carrawell was a sophomore stud though. Portageville totally out-smarted them, drew the big guys out on the perimeter, and then attacked. Earlier that year, Ritter defeated Charleston. Word has it McFerren gave Bidewell an extensive scouting report on Ritter. Love seeing the SEMO boys sticking together.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 2:33 PM
  • Garmon was a '91 grad, just to be clear. But yes, a heck of a player too.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 2:40 PM
  • Sikeston's size is no doubt a concern. It was a concern last year too. Fairly unprecedented that a team with such a lack of height could win state in a larger classification. You very rarely see that. I'd love to see a list of the state champion teams, in any class, in the past 20 or 30 years with no player taller than 6'2" on the team. I bet it is a very short list.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 2:46 PM
  • East Carter didn't have a player over 6'1" in 03-04. No senior starters, all juniors. Then lost their senior year to Senath.

-- Posted by country-dude on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 11:22 PM
  • In '80 SCC played Slater in the 2A title game with no player taller than 6'2. Slater had 7 footer Joe Kleine that later played in the NBA...SCC won by 42.

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 1:48 AM
  • I wonder if this year's Risco or South Iron team could have beat Slater in 1980?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 2:19 AM
  • In the 1980 game against Slater, late in the fourth quarter, Cookson put the smallest player on the team guarding Joe Klien man to man. He must have got 4 fouls in 2 minutes, but that was funny.

-- Posted by igobybob on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 7:29 AM
  • Any thought on tonight's Caruthersville-South Iron game?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 9:45 PM
  • I thought South Iron had a bad 1st Quarter. After that they played with them and even tied it in the 4th. A good game for both teams.

-- Posted by country-dude on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 11:42 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: