Central (New Madrid County) High School

Charleston High School

Doniphan High School

East Prairie High School

Kennett High School

Malden High School

Twin Rivers High School

Just did Top 3 Classes for this thread!

Pick your order and then defend your #1 choice. Make a case why they deserve it more than the others in their district!

Replies (59)

• Cape central, sikeston, charleston. Sikeston gets #1 due to better record, tougher schedule, beat nd by 18 at home and lost by 8 on road. Nd on a winstreak but they played teams like advance, stvincent, and maybe oran so SOS is pretty lame.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 10:27 PM
  • I agree. Cape Central, Sikeston, Charleston get the top seeds. Cape Central is clearly the class of their district with the best record. Sikeston too has the best record and is state ranked. Charleston needs no defense as they've beaten everyone else!

But wow, are the Class 3 and 4 districts loaded! Should make for some incredible basketball games!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 10:38 PM
  • If ND were to beat Perryville convincingly, they would have a legitimate arguement for the 1 seed. Would have to beat them by 20 or more points to be convincing enough. And I don't see it being lopsided like that

-- Posted by V,B on Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 11:55 PM
  • Class 3 will probably be Charleston. The #2 seed, as of today, will be a tossup. Caruthersville lost last night and Doniphan closes out their season with Kennett, Caruthersville and Charleston. Their record is now 18-2 with a loss to Portageville and Poplar Bluff. Kennett is 14-6 and closes out with NMCC, Dpniphan, Dexter and Scott County.

Also, kennett is playing Hayti tonight in the BCT and Doniphan will be playing in the OFC Tournament that begins this weekend in Naylor.

-- Posted by Wesman100 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 10:37 AM
  • lol Dexter is 6 people away from being 3A thats got to suck.

-- Posted by Sour Pus on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 10:49 AM
  • With this years stacked 3A...wouldn't make a lot of difference

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 10:55 AM
  • Perryville has to go to Notre Dame. No way they go in there and win that game.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:04 AM
  • hoops....what is your take on Class 4, District 1? Who do you think should get the #1 seed? I think it should be Sikeston based on their overall record, body of work, and they split with ND (each team won at home). They lost twice to Charleston (in close games down to the wire) and beat two VERY GOOD teams: Desoto and Imagine Prep.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:08 AM
  • And....they went TO Perryvilly and beat Perryville by 9.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:08 AM

semohoops - I believe Perryville is capable of beating Notre Dame at ND. ND is in no way a lock at home.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:14 AM
  • I just think it's unlikely. Just a hunch. I think Perryville can beat ND, but going on the road like that may be asking a bit much.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:21 AM
  • As of right now, I personally think Sikeston should be No. 1 and whoever wins the Perryville/ND game should be No. 2. That is assuming all teams win out. If Sikeston loses to Bluff tonight or Cape next week, then everything changes. But right now, as I type this, Sikeston has had the best season of the three. But it will all come down to how the coaches vote and many times there is a lot of posturing in those seed meetings. Coaches will vote, not who you think may deserve the top seed, but who you would rather player in a semifinal.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:24 AM

If I had to seed Class 3 District 1 today, here is how it would go.

1.Charleston

2.Doniphan

3.Kennett

4.Caruthersville

5.NMCC

6.Malden

7.Twin Rivers

8.East Prairie

I have Charleston winning this district with little trouble, unless Cville, Kennett, or Doniphan plays lights out. No reasoning needed as to why Charleston is #1 seed. Now, these seedings are as of today, not for the rest of the season. I'm sure things will change by then.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:30 AM
  • How very true semohoops....unethical way of doing it, but they sure do seem to think that way.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:58 AM
  • Sour Pus just wait till next year, looks like there will be some teams moving classes. It looks Kennett will be in class 4.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:10 PM
  • Really? Kennett in Class 4?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:20 PM

NMCC will be class 2 before you know it. Maybe next year in football.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:27 PM

What is Kennett's enrollment numbers suppose to be for next year? What is the required number for Class 4

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:29 PM
  • NMCC has more than 100 more students than Charleston and they are still Class 3 in hoops. Are you just talking about football?

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:32 PM
  • 2012-13 and 2013-14 enrolement for Kennett is 564. The new class break for class 4 is 500-1106.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:35 PM
  • Correction enrollment

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:36 PM
  • These are numbers for basketball only.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:39 PM
  • This was the enrollment breaks for the 2010-12 sesaons. Wonder why the drastic change from 569 to 500 on the bottom portion of Class 4? NMCC has 486 students, which firmly puts them in Class 3. Maybe football has different breaks? With over 300 students, Charleston is also firmly in Class 3.

Class 1

119 and below

Class 2

120 - 227

Class 3

228 - 568

Class 4

569 - 1174

Class 5

1175 and above

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:40 PM
  • Here are the breaks for the next 2 years.

Class 1

126 and below

Class 2

127-244

Class 3

248-498

Class 4

500-1106

Class 5

1114 and up

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:45 PM
  • I wonder how that will affect the district then. Will a team drop out, pick up another team or will there be an uneven number of teams?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:52 PM

Semohoops NMCC doesn't have that many students any more. It's closer to 400. Yes I was just talking about football, that's why I listed football. And yes football breaks are different But hey thanks for picking out my one comment

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:52 PM
  • By those enrollment breaks, Kennett is no doubt in Class 4. NMCC is only 12 students away from Class 4.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:53 PM

'fan, where did you get these?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:54 PM
  • It will be interesting when MSHSAA assigns the districts. They normally balance the districts to closely the same number of teams. I expect Kennett will go into class 4 district 1.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:56 PM
  • Larry these numbers all come from the MSHSAA website

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:57 PM

do you have a link, I can't find the new breaks, just the current breaks?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:58 PM
  • My comment was about Class 4, District 1....sorry, I didn't specify. The only team off the top of my head that could change is ND with the multiplier, but I don't think they are in any danger of moving. Anyone know about anything about this or what team or teams could drop out or be added?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:58 PM
  • -- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:59 PM
  • Always glad to be of service BuckMajor! Come on, you know I love ya! mmmwaa :)

NMCC now has 448 students in the next two-year cycle.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 1:59 PM
  • Also Farmington will head into class 5

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:00 PM

Thanks, I saw the enrollments but haven't seen the actual Class Breaks. Did you do those yourself or is that on the MSHSAA website?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:00 PM

And my comment was more of just a future outlook thing. More and more students keep leaving each year. So more 3 or 4 years down the road, except football.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:01 PM

And my comment was more of just a future outlook thing. More and more students keep leaving each year. So more 3 or 4 years down the road, except football.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:01 PM

I know I know haha :)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:02 PM

New numbers put Kennett at 564, Fredericktown at 567, and Dexter at 568. If these new cutlets are around 500, gotta believe someone currently in Class 4 District 1 will move. I'd say Ste. Genevieve goes to District 2 and you may see one of their teams shuffled since one of those smaller Class 4 STL schools may have dropped (Or Imagine Prep may really shut down).

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:03 PM
  • Charleston is down to 274.....what on earth is going on over there? Is the town shrinking that fast? Just asking.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:04 PM
  • -- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:05 PM
  • I would agree that most likely Ste. Genevieve will move to district 2. It just makes sense.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:08 PM

Agreed semofan. I think it will be easiest on everyone. Sikeston was taking them off the schedule anyway from what I had heard. But man does a rough district get some added beef with Kennett replacing Ste. Genevieve. Talk about a definite upgrade. Also, Sikeston needs to get another title or two in the next three years while still in the current system because six classes is coming probably after the next cycle (2014-2015 season) and Sikeston will definitely be Class 5 and probably be stuck in a district like Cape is which will extend a lot more space across the state.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:12 PM

Thanks 'fan.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:23 PM
  • It will be definite upgrade to the strenght of the district. Since Kennett is already on Sikestons schedule, I wondering who they will pick up if they are dropping Ste. Gen.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:35 PM
  • Your welcome Larry

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:35 PM

I'd like to see us pick up a strong St. Louis team. Jackson plays a Vianney or a McNorth or a Webster Groves every year. I'd like to get a series going with Maplewood, Ritter, Soldan, McCluer, McCluer North, Hazelwood Central. Any of those strong STL teams that will really put a challenge to us (and maybe we can pull an "upset"). That's just wishful thinking. We'll get whoever wants to get on the schedule with us. Maybe we'll get invited to another shootout or something. It just all depends. Again, the dropping Ste. Gen thing isn't really official. I had just been hearing that the series probably wouldn't be renewed. No offense to Bernie but I'm a little ready to work them off the schedule after we get our games in at their place this year and next year. I know they like playing us but they are the only Class 2 or lower team on the schedule and I've become a supporter of beefing up our schedule now that we are starting to compete year in and year out.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:42 PM
  • I'm pretty sure you're right sideline. Ste. Gen won't be on the schedule next year. Not sure who will replace them though. Some teams just flat refuse to play Sikeston. Although I actually like the Bernie game. It's a fun atmosphere and a classic large-small matchup. After next year, I'm not sure if that series will be renewed. The one game I was really disappointd to lose on the schedule was Portageville. Those were always fun, competitive games until the last two or three, and then two years ago the game got snowed out and Portageville didn't want to make it up and just dropped it altogether.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:46 PM
  • I agree on beefing the schedule sideline. Bernie is down this year and that may be a change that needs to be looked at. Also Blytheville has been down for a couple years now, that is another possibilty. And don't forget Borgia (they played Notre Dame this year), and maybe Dyer County.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:49 PM

'Fan not certain if these are the actual breaks or not. Above the table it says, "Example of Standard Enrollment with Basketball Registered Schools Only". Plus this is from April 2011.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:49 PM
  • Larry, it says at the bottom of the page how to tell which proposals were approved.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:57 PM
  • Dyer County is not interested in coming to Missouri. They tried it once and lost to Advance.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 3:02 PM

I don't want the guys to have to go all the way out into the heart of Washington County to play Borgia. It's impossible to win a game out there. I'd hate to try to deal with out-of-state teams too. Now, if they are the only ones who want us, we'll take what we can get. Games with Portageville and Bernie and the small school-large school atmosphere are nice but I'd just like to personally see a little more beef on the schedule. I'm not going to be upset or anything if we don't though.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 3:03 PM
  • Did not know that, I did know they were at the shootout in Dexter this summer and heard they requested to play Sikeston.

-- Posted by semofan01 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 3:04 PM
  • Yes they did. Heck of a game too. Went into overtime. Soldan and Imagine Prep specifically came to Dexter to play Sikeston as well.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 5:14 PM
  • I think you are underestimating Perryville this year. The only games they've lost, they were missing players. They lost to Sikeston by 9, but were without big player Ross Moldenhauer. It will definitely be a good game vs. Notre Dame, and an even better week of Districts!

-- Posted by phsfan on Sat, Feb 4, 2012, at 9:54 AM

Moldenhauer played against Sikeston, scored 14 points.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 4, 2012, at 10:03 AM

Maplewood was scheduled to play Sikeston at the Cape Shootout. They pulled out for some reason and were replaced by Imagine Prep. Sikeston would play just about any team in Missouri if the game got put together. You can try to peddle lies if you want but you're not fooling anyone.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 4, 2012, at 10:29 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: