Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Bloomfield Christmas Tourney Seeding

Posted by paulbd on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 4:59 PM:

I figured since the SEMO Christmas tourney has a thread Bloomfield might as well have one.

How does everyone think the seeding is going to fall out for it?

Replies (47)

• 1. Kennett

2. Holcomb

3. Dexter

-- Posted by Ktownballer18 on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 5:09 PM
  • I guess every one from last year will be back. There will be about 4 teams that will have a good chance at winning it all. Kennett, Bernie, Holcomb and Dexter. I think Hayti,Portageville ,Bloomfield and Doniphan will win opening round games. I think this will be four in a roll for Kennett tying Dexter.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 6:31 PM

I see Kennett having no trouble with anyone other than maybe Bernie. Also, I think hayti could be a sleeper to knock off some higher seeds, although I don't think they would win it all

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 8:18 PM
  • Kennett will win if they play like they did against Caruthersville. If they don't, they won't. Consistency is a problem with very young teams, especially early in the season.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 11:24 PM

I agree with you there. Teams as young as Kennett and Caruthersville will have their ups and downs. There will be times they play lights out, then there will be times they play like crap. They will get better though as the season goes on. I'm glad Cville will have a couple weeks of solid practice time before their tourney in Dburg at the end of the month. They still play two games before then but they should be fine playing Senath and South Pem. I'm sure Heeb will have them boys ready when it matters most. Kennett's in the same boat, im sure they will be better come districts.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 1:03 AM
  • Here are the teams in the tournament:

Kennett

Doniphan

Portageville

Dexter

Holcomb

Bernie

Hayti

Bloomfield

Saxony Lutheran

Puxico

Van Buren

East Prairie

Malden

Twin Rivers

South Pemiscot

Richland

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 1:19 AM

1. Kennett

2. Doniphan

3. Portageville

4. Dexter

5. Holcomb

6. Bernie

7. Hayti

8. Bloomfield

9. Puxico

10. Saxony Lutheran

11. Van Buren

12. Malden

13. East Prairie

14. Twin Rivers

15. Richland

16. South Pem

I can see where many of these could be flipped flopped because I think there will be some close games throuhout the tournament.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 9:30 AM
  • 1. Kennett

2. Portageville

3. Doniphan

4. Holcomb

5. Bernie

6. Dexter

7. Bloomfield

8. Hayti

9. Saxony Lutheran

10.Puxico

11.East Praire

12.Van Buren

13.Malden

14.Twin Rivers

15. Richland

16. South Pem

I think 6-9 Could be flipped flopped a lot of ways. Dexter has not showed any offensive ability but have played tough schools early. Bloomfield shows streaks of being a solid team and Hayti and Sax always show up to play in this tourney. Puxico could give a few teams trouble with the snowbird style but they have to rebound the ball to get it going. Kennett should win this tournament but you never know at the Christmas tourney. That's why they play the games.

-- Posted by always619 on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 11:12 AM
  • It's difficult to gage where Portageville should be until they play more games.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 3:02 PM
  • Saxony Lutheran 73- Ste Gen 39. I thought Sax Lut was a class 1. Any info on this beet down?

-- Posted by mule1993 on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 7:32 PM
  • Saxony is 3-1 on the season, and every win has been a blowout. They have 4 players averaging 10 or more points per game. They should be a top 8 seed, I'd say 6 or 7.

-- Posted by SEMONole on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 9:14 PM

Saxony is Class 3.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 9:16 PM
  • Prediction: It is only a matter of time before Saxony Lutheran is a yearly favorite to advance to the semifinals at Bloomfield.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 12:19 AM
  • Private school had good recruiting class.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 8:00 AM
  • A couple of comments from a Saxony supporter:

Saxony was bumped up to Class 3 last year due to the multiplier imposed on private/parochial schools.

While our 3 wins have been by a fairly large margin, we probably weren't playing against some of the stronger teams in the area. But don't get me wrong - they were good wins and a great way to start the season. Our loss was against Crystal City and was by 29 points. I hope I'm wrong, but at this point, I think it will be a while before we become a favorite to advance to the semifinals at Bloomfield.

As far as having a "good recruiting class", last year we finished the season one game over .500 and the previous season was below .500. The players we have this year have been playing since Freshmen year, and we only have one returning starter from last year's team (he's a Junior this year). Probably the tallest player Saxony has had transferred out to play basketball at Jackson High School this year.

But I don't want to sound negative about our boys. What they have going for them is that they have a lot of heart and they go hard the entire game. On top of that, they are a very unselfish team, and you never know who will be the lead scorer on a given night. Every game so far has been a total team effort and I can't help but believe that will take them a long way this year.

-- Posted by saxonyfan on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 9:22 AM
  • Don't misinterpret when I say a "long way". I just meant that hopefully they will put together another winning season.

-- Posted by saxonyfan on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 2:26 PM
  • Am i missing something with kennett, they beat c-ville, but lose to rector? Seems suspect to me, i'd go with an upset somewhere

-- Posted by ihateAZ on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:18 PM
  • Won't really be upsets. Looks like Kennett will have ups and downs and occasional head scratchers this year. Already have.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 5:02 PM

I agree with Pete. With Kennett being fairly young, they will have their ups and downs as most young teams do. If they play with the intensity in this tourney like they did against Cville, they will win all games by double digits. Kennett has a pretty big team and their guards can shoot from behind the arc. Class 3 District 1 will be a dog fight with Kennett,Cville,Charleston

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 5:14 PM
  • One has to like Charleston's chances in Class 3, District 1 at the end of the season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:42 AM
  • Does anyone know what date they normally come out with the tournament seeding?

-- Posted by Wesman100 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:18 PM

Dustin

There is still alot of games left to be played before districts. If Kennett and Cville improve just a little bit between now and then, Charleston can be beat!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:26 PM
  • Cheesehead

I like Charleston's chances of win the Class 3 state title this season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 1:43 AM
  • Saxonyfan Oak Ridge 71, Saxony 59. If Saxony wins the consolation bracket they would be doing good. These are not seeds, its how they finish. I have already seen some bad seeding at tourneys.

1. Kennett

2. Portageville

3. Dexter

4. Bernie

5. Doniphan

6. Holcomb

7. Hayti

8. Bloomfield

9. Puxico

10.Malden

11.East Prairie

12.SAXONY

13.Twin Rivers

14.South Pem.

15.Van Buren

16.Richland

-- Posted by country-dude on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 3:56 AM
  • Not sure why this post was directed at me. I'm not the one who predicted it was just a matter of time before Saxony was a favorite to advance to the semifinals. Actually, I said it would be awhile before that ever happened. I honestly have no idea where Saxony will finish since I know nothing about the other teams. The only team in this tournament that is on our schedule this year is South Pem.

-- Posted by saxonyfan on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 7:36 AM
  • I think the Saxony -Ste Gen score had everybody second guessing their picks. Honest question. Is Ste. Gen that bad or was there something else going on in that game?

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 9:10 AM
  • I'm not going to call any team bad. Saxony just had a good night against Ste. Gen, due in part to the fact that Ste. Gen doesn't have the height that OR has and we were able to get a lot more inside shots to fall in. I think Ste. Gen's tallest player is 6'2" where I thought I read on another forum that OR has 4 players 6'4" or taller. We were also 7 of 15 from 3-point range against Ste. Gen vs. 4 of 17 against Oak Ridge, and we were better at the free-throw line against Ste. Gen. Add to that, we got in foul trouble early against OR (double bonus before the end of the 1st quarter), and finished the game with a total of 31 fouls. Can't win games when the majority of your team is in foul trouble.

-- Posted by saxonyfan on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 2:33 PM
  • Bluegold, I have no idea how the district will stack up and won't make any predictions.

-- Posted by saxonyfan on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 8:45 PM
  • How good was Crystal City saxonyfan? My nephew plays for them and he said they was good. I saw they beat Park Hills by 20 at home. Not trying to be a smartguy but Bloomfield is a tough tourney. The top 6-8 teams could be playing in the finals. I'm sorry if I offended you.

-- Posted by country-dude on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:16 AM
  • Regarding Crystal City - They are good and they have a weapon in Eli Sample. He scored 40 of the 80 points CC had in our 80-51 loss to them. As the SEMissourian stated, we had no answer for him.

-- Posted by saxonyfan on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 6:35 AM
  • I'm not saying we would have beat Crystal City if they didn't have Eli - the game would have just been a little closer. Crystal City is a very quick team.

-- Posted by saxonyfan on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 6:42 AM
  • Seeding should come out today!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:17 AM
  • (1) Kennett (2-3) vs. (16) Richland (0-4), 9 a.m.

(8) Hayti (3-2) vs. (9) Puxico (3-2), 7 p.m.

(5) Dexter (0-4) vs. (12) South Pemiscot (2-3), 2:30 p.m.

(4) Holcomb (3-1) vs. (13) Malden (2-3), 12:45 p.m.

(3) Portageville (3-0) vs. (14) Twin Rivers (1-4), 11:30 a.m.

(6) Bernie (4-1) vs. (11) Van Buren (2-3), 4 p.m.

(2) Doniphan (5-0) vs. (15) East Prairie (1-4), 10:15 a.m.

(7) Bloomfield (2-3) vs. (10) Saxony Lutheran (3-2), 5:30 p.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 2:50 PM
  • Is this official?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 2:55 PM
  • Yes those are official.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:00 PM
  • Portageville gets to play both the 1 and 4 seed this week.

-- Posted by paulbd on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:08 PM

How is Dexter a higher seed than Bernie? Am I missing something?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:22 PM
  • I agree cheesehead, quite puzzling?!?!

-- Posted by SCAA Fan on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 5:20 PM
  • Other thoughts

1. Dexter is ranked too high.

2. The possibility of a Portageville Bernie quarter final is interesting.

3. Saxony Bloomfield rematch looks good too.

-- Posted by paulbd on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 5:38 PM
  • Dons #2 and Bloomfield #7. They play in Doniphan on the 19th so we'll see how things go.

-- Posted by Wesman100 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:56 PM

I like the matchups this year. I think this will be a balanced tournament and the trophy is really up for grabs here. I can see any team 1-6 competing with each other.

-- Posted by froboy on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:53 PM
  • I thought it would be fun and interesting to compare the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament seeding by the coaches against Maxpreps state ranking for each team:

#1 Kennett, 116

#2 Doniphan, 53

#3 Portageville, 62

#4 Holcomb, 118

#5 Dexter, 266

#6 Bernie, 114

#7 Bloomfield, 140

#8 Hayti, 233

#9 Puxico, 296

#10 Saxony Lutheran, 216

#11 Van Buren, 337

#12 S. Pemiscot, 418

#13 Malden, 288

#14 Twin Rivers, 378

#15 E. Prairie, 446

#16 Richland, 539

-- Posted by Wesman100 on Thu, Dec 22, 2011, at 5:09 PM
  • i think maxpreps is as goofy as the polls.

-- Posted by GSP on Thu, Dec 22, 2011, at 7:07 PM
  • Kennett is the two time defending champs that's why they are seeded #1. Personally I think the brackets should be released this week not last week.

-- Posted by paulbd on Fri, Dec 23, 2011, at 9:44 AM

I agree paulbd.. Until Kennett is beaten in this tourney, they should keep their #1 seed. And yes GSP, maxpreps means nothing.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 23, 2011, at 10:30 AM
  • To tell ya the truth..none of this means anything at all. All the polls and all of the opinions of all of us on these threads mean nothing. What matters is when teams pair off on court. There is an old saying "to be the champion, you have to whip the champion", so I guess the seeding in the Bloomfield Tourament is probably right. Can't wait until next week!

-- Posted by Wesman100 on Fri, Dec 23, 2011, at 1:19 PM
  • You've got to get past the Dawgs before you get your shot at the champs! It wouldn't even suprise me if the champs don't even go to the title game. If not contained Massey can single handedly win a game for Holcomb.

-- Posted by paulbd on Fri, Dec 23, 2011, at 2:29 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: