Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Semo Boys Top 15

Posted by Golden_One on Fri, Oct 21, 2011, at 6:01 PM:

What are some thoughts on the top 15 boys basketball teams in the area?

Replies (81)

Sikeston is #1 until they are defeated, then Charleston at #2, then Caruthersvile at #3... the rest will not be known until some games are played to have a good gauge on them. Just mu opinion

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 21, 2011, at 6:13 PM
  • c ville is #2, get it right.

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Oct 21, 2011, at 11:06 PM
  • I mean Dexter is #2.

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Oct 21, 2011, at 11:23 PM
  • This is the basketball forum, Wise one.

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Sat, Oct 22, 2011, at 12:07 AM

Some people are a little slow!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 22, 2011, at 12:15 AM

Apparently the ole WISE ONE isn't so wise!

I actually agree with the first teams you picked and if I had to go down further.

1 Sikeston

2 Charleston

3 Cville

4 Cape

5 SCC

6 Desoto

7 Jackson

8 Farmington

9 Bernie

10 Notre Dame

11 Kennett

12 Risco

13 Portageville

14 Dexter

15 Perryville

just my opinion!

-- Posted by Haterade on Sat, Oct 22, 2011, at 12:29 AM
  • @Matt Foley

I agree with your list. The only change I would make would be to lower SCC. I just don't see them being as strong as some teams listed below them.

-- Posted by dont worry on Sat, Oct 22, 2011, at 1:13 AM

I actually thought about moving them down on the list but out of respect for the team that has been SCC I left them high until they work their way down the list. I think they earned the repect to be in the top 5 at the start of this season.

-- Posted by Haterade on Sat, Oct 22, 2011, at 3:31 PM
  • What about Doniphan?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 4:12 AM
  • I'd put Leopold in there somewhere and drop Jackson down, and probably put Perryville higher on the list.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 9:41 AM
  • What about Bloomfield?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 6:50 PM

@ Dustin I don't see either of them being Top 15

-- Posted by Haterade on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 7:23 PM
  • I'm satisfied considering what you guys know about cape and what we have in store.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 7:54 PM
  • I see Doniphan as a better team than some of the teams on this list.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 8:23 PM

The Official Sideline Starter Top Ten will start right after the new year this season. It really is tough to do preseason top lists for a sport like basketball. I think that the only real givens are the top three. Sikeston, Charleston, and Caruthersville are a cut above everyone else in the area. I put them in the top three in that order. After that, I'd say that Cape is fourth because I don't think they are at the level of the top three but I think their talent is better than anybody else considered. I don't think these supposed "secrets" Cape has in store are going to be nearly as impactful as they are making them out to be but I'd like to see the Tigers compete in Class 5. DeSoto would be my #5 but they could move down depending on their conditioning. They have a lot of talent in their two SEMO signees but other than that, they are a team lacking any depth. Any of those top three teams will wear them out real quick. After those five, I have no clue. SCC may be the true #4 team but I don't know how they'll do without Otto. Risco is looking very strong in Class 1. Perryville may be able to compete after their 20 win season since they bring everyone back. Bernie and Portageville are always good. We'll see how it all shakes out so I'll just say my top five in order are Sikeston, Charleston, Caruthersville, Cape, DeSoto.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 8:33 PM
  • DeSoto will be very good this year.

-- Posted by SCAA Fan on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 9:06 PM
  • Could DeSoto beat Sikeston? Are there any Sikeston fans out there to comment on this thought?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 9:09 PM

I don't see it happening Dustin. Just like last year, Sikeston will wear DeSoto out because they don't have any depth. DeSoto had a lead on Sikeston 16-12 or so going into the second quarter last year and Sikeston allowed something like 14 points over the next two quarters. The teams that are going to contend with Sikeston will have to be conditioned and have some good bench players (see Charleston). As Rocket has always said, a 6'10" guy isn't nearly as tall when sucking air leaning their body weight on their knees.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 9:13 PM
  • Does anybody know what all teams will be playing in the Bernie Invitational Tournament at the beginning of the season?

-- Posted by dont worry on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 10:37 PM
  • don't worry

Eight teams

Risco

Bernie

Bloomfield

Holcomb

Puxico

Twin Rivers

Campbell

East Prairie

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 10:42 PM

Between Risco, Bernie, Bloomfield, and Holcomb, that will be a fun top four to start the year. I put Risco as the early favorite but anything could happen. I'd really like to see a Bernie-Risco final.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 10:43 PM
  • Sideline I agree. I'd love to see that match-up.

-- Posted by dont worry on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 1:17 AM
  • Thanks for the love, sideline. :-)

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 8:13 AM

Well, I know how much of a hissy fit you had after I didn't attribute those words of wisdom to you last time Rocket.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 8:53 AM
  • I watched Farmington, Desoto and Sikeston this summer. Unless Desoto can find a way to play with better poise against the Bulldogs, they will likely have a hard time in that match up. But Desoto is intriguing. They have a very good guard and great size. But like the poster above said, that size can be neutralized in a hurry with constant pressure. Farmington would actually match up with Sikeston a little bit better because of their overall athleticism. If Farmington could play with poise and take care of the ball they could give Sikeston a run. But Sikeston is still the favorite in class 4.

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 9:45 AM
  • Have they found an 8th team for the Oran Invitational yet? I know Greenville will not be playing in it again this year.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 1:34 PM
  • GSP.....I agree with you. Most people outside of the Sikeston area think Sikeston will be down because we lost 4 starters. That actually is the furthest thing from the truth. We will be VERY GOOD once again.....and, frankly....in the near future, too. Sikeston will play with the same frenetic pace as they always have.....except, this year, the WHOLE team can shoot from the perimeter. They are also probably as much or maybe a little more athletic....as a team. We do have a lack of size again, but we have a way of neutralizing size....as you mentioned. I'm not gonna say we are undefeated again, but I only see 3-4 games that will give us fits....before the playoffs (Clarksville, AR, Charleston - twice, and Caruthersville). I think we can will all of those, but we will have to play good.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 1:41 PM

Don't forget about Cape... I hear that since the NBA isn't in action they are trying to see if any players have any eligibility left! Church is building the best recruiting class for 2011-2012 season!

NOT 100% SURE BUT JUST WHAT I HEAR!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 3:36 PM

I hope they didn't sign Lebron. He'd choke in the fourth quarter for them every game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 3:38 PM
  • Wow! That's hateful......

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 4:13 PM
  • scott...we know about Soldan. They are very good. We wouldn't play them until the finals. I'm not saying we have an automatic ticket there at all.....just saying that is where we would matchup. We know Desoto is good, but most people think Sikeston is gonna be down because the kids don't play for the Eagles and other teams. Sikeston is the real deal again.....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 6:40 PM
  • A team most people aren't thinking about is Saxony Lutheran. They did win their district last year and return most of their team and 3 starters. What do you guys think?

-- Posted by SEMONole on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 7:14 PM
  • They lost the Klaus kid, he carried that team...

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Oct 24, 2011, at 7:16 PM
  • All this talk about Sikeston, watch out for Notre Dame.

-- Posted by TWINCJAYS@YAHOO.COM on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 8:40 AM

Care to elaborate, twincjays?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 9:02 AM
  • onlyh thing good bout notre dame is the hunchback of quazimoto. who i just think mite look like some of yhou sikeston fans Bucko.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 9:13 AM

All this talk about Sikeston, watch out for Greenville.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 9:22 AM
  • Bearcat, that was kind of funny.

Your showing progress

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 10:26 AM
  • tank you very much Dustin Ruy. i have just not clamed to be much of a basketball expurt though, manly just football. i have jut worked a little bit with sikestons defense and you all see they are tackling better now. it is just all on the tehnique.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 10:48 AM
  • ND beat Jackson by twenty over the summer.

1 Charleston

2 Sikeston

3 Cville

4 Notre Dame

5 Desoto

6 Cape

7 Farmington

8 SCC

9 Jackson

10 Bernie

-- Posted by TWINCJAYS@YAHOO.COM on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 10:52 AM

Didn't Jackson lose their two best players? I don't think they were going to be much of a power this year anyway.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 10:55 AM

Summer ball matters for nothing more than working on fundamentals and meshing as a team. It's about like NFL preseason in terms of a measure of a team's regular season success.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 11:04 AM
  • ND will be better then yall think.

-- Posted by TWINCJAYS@YAHOO.COM on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 11:28 AM
  • Class 5-Cape Central

Class 4-Sikeston, Desoto, and Farmington

Class 3-Charleston and Caruthersville.

Class 2-Thayer, Hayti, Advance, Portageville

Class 1-Scc, Risco and Leopold.

Sikeston is probably the favorite in Class 4.

Charleston and Caruthersville looks dead even to me.

Thayer has a legit shot at a state title.

Scc is still the favorite. But for the first time in a while, others may actually have a legit shot at beating them this year.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 11:50 AM
  • 1. Charleston

2. Sikeston

3. Caruthersville

4. Notre Dame

5. Cape Central

6. SCC

7. Bernie

8. Jackson

9. Poplar Bluff

10. Leopold

*Charleston will be the team to beat this year. Sikeston will be good but they lost ALOT (please dont say that their JV from last year will replace Howard, Hatchett, Porter, and Holifield because they WILL NOT!) Notre Dame will be better than what people think (A Lot of senior experience coming back) Cape will be good but better by the end of the year. Scc just lost to much(PORTER) Jackson will be alright if they can get the ball to their big guys, but that is easier said then done against sikeston, charleston ,and Notre Dame. PB has potential and I just like Leopolds team.

-- Posted by PO526 on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 6:42 PM

Man do the "weaknesses" of Sikeston sound a lot like last year's "weaknesses"of Sikeston (They won't replace that which they lost). The current class of seniors has not lost a basketball game on their primary level of play...EVER. Never lost in seventh, eighth, freshman or JV, and didn't lose when they were on varsity last year. They have talent. Will it be a piece of cake for them to replace the phenomenal players from last year? Of course not. But these guys know how to get a win better than any class to ever come through Sikeston. They have been playing within the Holifield system since they have been playing for the school. And only four players who will be getting good playing time play football with only one being a starter. This team is ready to take on the challenge. That is why I think they are going to be #1 in the area.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 6:54 PM
  • PO526....please doubt them again. They will let their skills do the talking. And when the ball is thrown up for the tip.....just try to keep up!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 7:24 PM

Have any Missouri schools went back to back season's going undefeated? What are the odd's of Sikeston pulling that off?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 7:29 PM
  • Sorry, i didnt mean that they would not be good. I still put them at 2nd. so i guess what i am trying to say is that they will not have that dominant man in the middle(porter), that lights out shooter(Holifield), and their best player(Hatchett). they WILL BE GOOD. I just think that charleston will be better. i guess we can just wait for the SEMO conf tourny.

NO disrespect sikeston fans. Sorry if i did.

-- Posted by PO526 on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 7:48 PM
  • I didn't take it as disrespect. I just don't think you are a very knowledgeable about Sikeston's team. This year's team is probably a better shooting TEAM than last year. There are a few names that will be new to most people. They are going to have HUGE years......Kil'ron Coleman, JT Jones, Markeith Bratcher....along with the names already known (Terry Jamison, Caleb McGee, Vashawn Ruffin). Sikeston will be VERY GOOD. The Sikeston Charleston matchup will be a very good game!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 7:53 PM
  • People will say every year that ND will be better than people think because they're quick and they play hard. Although they may be quick but they wont be sikeston quick from last year and not as athletic therefore they will have no answer for a team with size. I don't remember the last time ND had a team that didn't have a single big man or star that other teams had to focus on. Ya they'll play hard nosed, hand checking, getting away with too many fouls basketball...doesn't mean they'll be any good.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 7:57 PM

The reason they don't have a big man this season is because Cape is drawing all the big talent like Nesby's kid. I think Cape is offering more free trips to Great Wall or Show-Me's! Just need to sweeten the deal a little more and next season could be theirs!

It is ok... Notre Dame will be back soon enough it only takes one recruiting class to make things turn around.

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 8:16 PM
  • Are you saying that Tyrone Nesby's kid plays at Cape? How big is he?

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 8:38 PM
  • 6'4/5" around 220. He's a strong athletic kid. And when I say kid I mean it, he's only 16a and and acts like a high school kid but if you saw him in public without knowing him you might think he's in his 20's

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 8:51 PM
  • Sikeston starting five is going to resemble last years starting five a lot. And this is the class people have been waiting on. We've literally thrashed every team at some point. And I know those other teams can get better, but playing against last years team, the year before that's team, and themselves have made them tough to beat.

And their attitude is on point, they know they won it last year, but they know it's not going to come easy. They take it as a job, and their going to take care of business this year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 9:32 PM

There is only one team that beat Sikeston last year, and that was the Sikeston JV.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 9:49 PM
  • In class 1, nobody said the darkhorse team. A team that won 20 games and only lost 1 senior. A team that beat Leopold in the finals. SOUTH IRON. Their best player is a sophmore. They are young and deep. I believe they will be pretty salty. They picked up C-Ville and Poplar Bluff on their schedule. Look out for South Iron.

-- Posted by country-dude on Tue, Oct 25, 2011, at 11:30 PM
  • SemoSports2..ND played Chaminade a few weeks ago in a high school league and beat them. They also played a team that started 6'7 and 6'8 and beat them, so size is not a problem for ND.

-- Posted by TWINCJAYS@YAHOO.COM on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 8:53 AM

^^INCREDIBLE!!!^^

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 8:57 AM
  • Just want to get this straight.....So is Darius Brown (who is Tyrone Nesby's son...originally from Cairo, but went to Paducah Tilghman last year) enrolled at Cape Central?

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:01 AM
  • That seems to be the case Crash, according to some bloggers here. I saw him play a couple years ago. He's a big strong athlete. When I saw him it was hard to believe he was just a freshman. Very physically mature at an early age.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:09 AM
  • South Iron is not a darkhorse. They are a legitimate contender. I just forgot to mention them.

-- Posted by GSP on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:18 AM
  • Not sure how Cape has become such a "move in zone"?

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:28 AM
  • chuck.....it seems to have started with the Wilkes kid a few years ago. Hmmmmm......

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:32 AM
  • Good point Barkley. I demand an investigation.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:33 AM
  • Actually even before Wilks. They had a 6'6" kid named Seville Bell from Cairo and a 6'8" kid named Scott Chestnutt, and THEN another 6'8" kid in Wilks. All three just tremendous talents too. It wasn't like they were big stiffs out there. All three were Division I caliber.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 9:39 AM

How come they can get this great talent but just won their first district title in 14 years?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 10:17 AM

I think it has became a "move in zone" since the pressure to win is pretty big in Cape. Think about it ND in the same town winning a few titles makes a public school in the same town want to "make it happen" as soon as possible. If they would all just chill out, have a hotdog and a coke their time will come.

Latest rumor has it that Trey Lyles is being considered to come in and close the deal for Central over the next couple years.

Just rumors! No Sources!

-- Posted by Haterade on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 10:24 AM
  • I wonder if its discipline problems that promote the constant change? I know that Wilks and Chestnutt definitely had their slip-ups during their brief tenure at Cape.....

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 2:36 PM
  • The way it sounds it could be a very interesting Christmas Tour. at SEMO this year. Could be six or seven that could win depending on the day.

-- Posted by deervalley on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 2:43 PM
  • Saying you beat chaminade without brad beal, in a summer league game is not impressive at all

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 3:05 PM

Yeah, Chaminade lost everything. They were an average team without Beal and are even worse considering they were very senior heavy last year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 3:07 PM
  • There is no need to investigate Darius, his uncle lives in cape and is a big time central fan and wanted to get him out of cairo. He came for awhile his freshman year but his mom didn't want to move to cape. I don't know why he went to paducah but he is in cape because his uncle wants him to be.

I can't speak for all the other players but Wilkes came with Mccord and left with him before graduating. Curtis branch was in cape because of semo. If you could be in central pe classes and watch the amazing athletes in this school play sports you would wonder why we don't compete with these top tier teams in state but really its just because our best athletes are too bust messing up in the classroom and on the street so they never get a chance in a uniform.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 6:50 PM

Can you move to live with your uncle!? Or does it have to be a legal gaurdian!? Just wondering.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 7:02 PM
  • Chestnutt had D1 talent, size, and build, but never had the heart or head to make the most of it. He was getting some mid-major interest and even some assistants from Minnesota and Iowa came down to see him during the Christmas tournament.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Wed, Oct 26, 2011, at 7:04 PM
  • The teams for this year that i think are going to do well is Charleston , Sikeston , and SCC . BOOTHELL basketball and Big B's Bluejays , Bulldogs , and Braves ! Can't wait until basketball season .

-- Posted by BlueJay Fan on Sun, Oct 30, 2011, at 10:03 AM
  • Heard Cape has another "move in"; a kid from TN. Supposed to be really good. I also heard that he is long-time Kelly coach Nick Lanpher's grandson. If that's true, I'd bet the kid can play some ball!

-- Posted by luvmesumbball on Fri, Nov 11, 2011, at 5:58 PM

To be honest I think NO ONE IS SURPRISED OF THIS AT ALL.

If it is true all I can say is "Nick Lanpher's Grandson COME ON DOWN... You are the next contestant on The Recruit is Right!"

Local game played by Cape Central's recruiting coordinator...

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Nov 11, 2011, at 6:20 PM
  • I go to Cape and haven't heard of this. We did get another kid late last week though, he hasn't played in awhile but has a good shot. Not sure about the rest of his game though.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Nov 11, 2011, at 9:01 PM

NEXT!!!!!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Nov 11, 2011, at 11:12 PM

Look back at the beginning of the season's posts and see how things actually panned out.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:36 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: