Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Bernie vs Wellington Napolean?

Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 2:40 PM:

Kick it off, what do you think? Wellington starts 2 sophmores with only one loss. I believe Bernie will have the size advantage in this game (maybe not). I know Wellington is state ranked higher but most sites I have read have Bernie ranked as the better team. Anybody seen Wellington play?

Replies (21)

• I am taking Bernie by 10 to 15 points.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 4:11 PM
  • Massey has Bernie as a 5 point favorite, 56 to 51.

I don't know much about Wellington, but I do think you are right about the size advantage, I have heard that their tallest player is 6'3", but I am yet to hear or see anything on that.

-jason

-- Posted by jcrow on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 7:40 PM

What's going to help Bernie in my opinion is the fact that they have played a great schedule, one of the most competitive for a Class 2 team in Missouri and won games on it. A lot of Class 2 schools don't play teams like Notre Dame let alone beat them. Couple that with their ability to shoot and scrappy defense and I like the Mules in what will be a very close game in my opinion. Also, I think this game is a de facto state title game considering that these are the two best teams of the four left. It definitely won't be easy but I hope the Mules pull the win.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 7:54 PM
  • I say whomever wins this game will be State Champs. I hope it will be the mules as I will be there cheering them on either way. :)

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 7:58 PM
  • Can't really say height has a great factor once u make it to the "ZOU". Alot of these teams come in with height but it's the teams with stamina that take trophies home. Look at Bernie's latest victory as they had a 6'9" player to compete with. But he couldn't handle the pressure. I think sideline is right...the schedules will help Bernie as they have faced Dexter twice, notre dame(the team to play sikeston the closest since district championship-bernie only lost by 3 @ ND btw), twin rivers, and of course class 4 champs sikeston. If those games don't get u ready for a Missouri class 2 final four then nothing would. Good luck to ALL SEMO teams.

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:00 PM
  • Bernie 57-49

-- Posted by mule89 on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:02 PM
  • Semolian, Bernie beat ND by 3 at Bernie.

-- Posted by mule89 on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:05 PM
  • My bad mule89, I mustve read that wrong on maxpreps. Wish I coulda seen that one. The only high school game I've seen this year (2011) was this past Saturdays Bernie-new haven game. Was well worth it.

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:17 PM
  • semolian,

I'm quoting you on this one: "Look at Bernie's latest victory as they had a 6'9" player to compete with. But he couldn't handle the pressure."

This is one time I'm disagreeing with you. As your friend I must correct you on this one. It wasn't that Fleer couldn't handle the pressure. It was the simple fact New Haven only played 6 guys the entire game, whereas Bernie played 8 to 10. That Fleer kid was a beast on the boards and made some real nice shots.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:32 PM
  • Check out Wellington's maxpreps page for information on the team. It looks like they are all around 6'-6'2" with a 6'3" player leading them with 22ppg 11rpg.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 7:06 AM
  • exzalmanian:

I'm agreeing with you as i believe that was part of the coaching strategy. It also helped to get them in foul trouble and foul out there 6-4 monster. After that happened McGowan went on a tare taking Bernie to victory. I do believe Bernie has the advantage at State due to experience. 7 or 8 of these boys were there last year.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 9:22 AM
  • Exzalmanian, according to st. louis high school sports webpage, bernie played six. Also Eli was held to just 12 points(his lowest since districts began), he was held to 15 by Oran, yet in his district tournament he scored 55 points in 2 games, in his 1st district game alone he had 39 points and 13 rbs. NH won that one 61-60 in OT. This is why I still say its Bernie's pressure that helped them.

BBfanatic: I agree it did help them get in foul trouble though as NH Haven must not be used to a fast paced team as their highest score this year is 67 twice, once was against another class 2 final four-New Bloomfield. But they also have 3 games where they scored 38 points and won all 3.

-- Posted by semolian on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 10:54 AM
  • Semolian:

I agree with you also as the pressure I'm sure made a differance. Bernie played 9 players and St. Louis webpage is incorrect. I know these boys well.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 11:32 AM
  • Wellington looks good on paper; as they have 5 guys with good numbers and one that looks real good. Wellington will also have the home court being only about one hour from the big show. Bernie may not have the fans this year as they did last, may make a difference.

-- Posted by bballfan40 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 11:53 AM
  • Bernie by 8, pressure defense will make Wellington run out of gas in the middle of the 3rd q. Bernie then will win the title by 15 against whomever they play, just what i think though.

-- Posted by ealge97 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 4:15 PM
  • eagle97:

I agree with all you have said but I think Bernie will beat wellington by more like 12 points.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 4:43 PM
  • Man I hope you're right. Without seeing Wellington play, the #1 ranking scares me a bit. However, the Mules have been overachievers all year, so I'll go with Bernie to win this one as well. Coach says you only have to score one more point than the other team, but I hope the margin of victory is a little more.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 4:56 PM
  • bbfanatic sounds good to me.

-- Posted by ealge97 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 9:09 PM
  • GO MULES!!!

-- Posted by RRT1 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 9:31 PM
  • What radio station will carry the game. Also, if anybody knows the radio stations for the Charleston and SCC games then let me know. I appreciate it

-- Posted by wholt on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 9:47 PM
  • ALL,

go to foxsportsmidwest.com, they will be streaming live for all of the action this week, also they have a link with the schedule of games as well. I think it might be a TV there since you are in Missouri, I live in Fort Polk, Louisiana so that is how I am going to watch it, oh yeah

Bernie by 9

-- Posted by BHS90 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 11:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: