Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Tiger Shootout

Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:07 PM:

Just got home from the Tiger Shootout and I was impressed with a few things. I didn't get to see the game but Charlestons win after playing first, playing a tough game last night and being the only local team to have a game last night. I thought Curtis Branch looked good. He's fast, he can shoot and can make some incredible passes. I can't wait till Cape plays Sikeston again. And the thing that impressed me the most was the way Jackson came back and made their game close after being down big. I know McCluer Norths B.J. Young got tossed on a phantom punch but they had a big lead and Jackson played great in the second half. If Jackson hadn't missed so many shots in the first quarter maybe things would have been different.

Replies (119)

• Will their be anymore games played?

-- Posted by semohoops1 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:27 PM

Branch: very impressive in my first look at him. Broke someone's ankles in the 4th. Humble ki, too.

Jordan granger, McCluer North: a young Patrick Ewing. Yeah, I said that.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:28 PM
  • Fatboy

What do you mean "phantom punch"? That kid took a swing....period.

vincebrown

I agree with you about Granger....I thought he was the best player on that team.

Let's not crown Branch as the second coming of Jordan. He played very well.....but Francis Howell is NOT VERY GOOD......AT ALL. He needs to play against a good team to see what he is really like. I heard on the radio that Francis Howell has won 5 games. They must have beaten some REALLY BAD TEAMS!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:44 PM
  • I seen Rocket brought his walker to the games today! haha

and i agree well see curtis against a good team, he makes some crazy passes but he looks kinda uptight when he plays to me

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:46 PM
  • Curtis Branch plays better against better teams. Just wait until you see him against sikestan. He wont even have to pass it through their press.

-- Posted by CTathletics2010 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:48 PM
  • Here the cape fans come again.. They dismantle a below par team and their back on top of SEMO.. There's no curtis branch in team.. And one player isnt a 30 point swing.. I say sikeston will win by about the same amount

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:52 PM
  • Curtis Branch is what every Central fan has been waiting for this year and he more than lived up to the hype. The thing that impressed me most about him is how strong he is with the ball, when he is determined to get to the basket, he does and he finishes. Central was very impressive all the way around, this would have been a very close game if Branch was not playing because Williams had a bad shooting game and didn't make a shot until late in the 3rd, maybe the 4th I'm not sure. Branch is without a doubt the best point gaurd in southeast missouri. I don't see anybody on their schedule that will walk away with a win unless Cape just has a very bad game. Branch not only brings plenty of skill but an electric attitude that fuels the whole team. He didn't start today but came in within the first two minutes and they just turned it on.

I was a little dissapointed with McCluer North, for being the #1 team in class 5 they sure didn't play like it today. If they would have played Cape today they probably would have lost and would lose against SCC. I do however think that they were out there just going half speed, you don't have a player that averages 36 points and ranked 18th in the country only get 12 points against an unranked team. The 6'8" junior forward was very impressive, to compare him to somebody down here, he plays a lot like Otto but is built a little thicker and not quite aggressive but he has a very good shot and shoots from everywhere. I hope they come down again next year because I would like to see hime play again before college.

Notre Dame played a very even opponent but I believe ND lost because of the size of the other team, they always had 2 6'5" guys in the game to stay on Tolbert. He had 16 in the first half but they made some very good half time adjustments and kept him scoreless for the 3rd and only allowed a few points before he fouled out in the fourth. I think Tolbert really needs a week off, you could tell that he was still struggling from when he went down during the christmas tounament, whatever injury he has must be serious because he isn't as quick, isn't jumping as high, and has a very noticable limp.

I was not there either for the Charleston game but the way I understand it is that they were toying with the other team.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:53 PM

That's the Cape cockiness we've all come to know and love.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 7:58 PM
  • So you think cape will beat sikeston? Even if you knew they couldnt you wouldn't admit it because you've admitted you hate sikeston..

But this reminds me a lot like football and we all know how that turned out..

But there in two different classes and one will make it much farther then the other.. But we all know who that's going to be..

And gotta give charelston dapps for playing a tough game last night and following the next day with a quality win..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 8:01 PM
  • No, if you remember you would know that I said that Central would play Sikeston in the championship of the conf. tournament and Cape would stay close for a little while but Sikeston would eventually pull away. If you would watch this Central team this semester you would understand where I am coming from, the reason for Cape's losses thus far have been turnovers, against Sikeston they had tons of them in the back court for easy lay ins. Now they have a very good point gaurd that can take control of this team and handle the ball.

I dislike Sikeston fans, never said Sikeston teams. After they beat us the 2nd time in football I was cheering for Sikeston to take down the west. Don't be so quick to judge.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 8:14 PM
  • woah inspector i typed that before reading that you were there today...i never saw the gadget shirt.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 8:15 PM
  • It's pretty hard to beat any team without your best player and especially a good team like Sikeston. I don't know about up tight but it was his first game and might of been nervous. He played more aggressive in the 2nd half. I would taking him as my PG over any guard on Sikeston.

And it's not like in football our best player was out and came back the 2nd game.

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 8:30 PM
  • Rocket

What I mean by "phantom punch" is it looked like he was trying to pull away from a Jackson player who had hold of his jersey...period. You saw it one way I saw it another.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 8:47 PM
  • SemoSports? Branch is going to just dribble right through Sikeston's press??? Just a quick question for you, do you know anything about basketball?????? The reason why I ask this, and I ask this to anyone on here, what is the easiest and best way to get through a press? SemoSports says Branch........WRONG!!!!!!!! The easiest way to get through a press is to PASS the ball!

As far as Branch and his Cape puppets, I warn you now, you will get tired very quick. SemoSports, what happens if and when he tries to get through ever press on Sikeston. It might work for 2 or 3 quarters, but not 4 quarters. Not in enough condiition or shape. He has sat for too long and hasnt played in a basketball game till today. I know that we are a month away before Cape travels back down here to get another butt kicking.

One last thing, I didnt know this till today guys.....I didnt know one player makes an entire team better than Sikeston. You can 2 or 3 starters off Sikeston and they can be sick or hurt and Sikeston will still click on its cylinders. I heard this line in a movie and i thought that it would fit for SemoSports.....

"When you pull on that jersey, you represent yourself and your teammates. And the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back! Get that through your head!"

To break that down for you....it's a team game!!! Cape as a team is not on the same level as Sikeston in football and not in basketball.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 8:49 PM
  • I never said he would dribble through the press but as someone above stated, he is a great passer. He has tremedous court vision and will be able to make the passes to get past half court into the offense. You can't say he isn't in shape because he has been practicing and conditioning for the whole season, he didn't even break a sweat today. I know they didn't play that great of a team but still, he ran a lot more than the rest of the people on the court and didn't even sweat. I know one player doesn't make a team but a very solid point gaurd can take an average team to a very good team and Cape was above average to begin with. No offense to any of Cape's other point gaurds but they have had trouble with pressure all season and that is where Branch will help the most. Another thing, I think the last game against Sikeston Cape's pg's had a combined 4 points; they now have 5 scoring threats on the court, it makes a HUGE difference!

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 8:59 PM
  • I'm calling this right now, Curtis Branch will be on the all southeast mmissourian team, all district, and all conference team while only playing one semester of basketball.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 9:01 PM
  • You Cape fans just crack me up.....seriously. Yes, the Branch kid is good. But, my Lord, Cape played the worst team in the shootout. I guess that's just luck......yeah right!! That team couldn't beat a good church league team (no offense to church league teams)!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 9:05 PM
  • A Sikeston fan calling somebody out for cockiness...oooo.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 9:07 PM

^ LOL right!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 9:10 PM
  • Fatboy

I'm not trying to start anything with you, but the official got it right. The kid threw the punch. I know he was saying something else, but he threw it. I was sitting on the opposite side of the benches. It was very obvious. I had some friends sitting on the other side of the gym and they said they couldn't tell.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 9:11 PM
  • For some of you folks who watched Branch...all the hype I heard before he was eligible was "Bobby Hatchett but with a better shot". I know it's hard to tell from only a game or two, but is that pretty farfetched, or did he look to have that kind of potential?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 9:13 PM
  • Bobby was a little faster sprinter and a little better jumper but branch is just as quick, has the handles, better shot, and stronger.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 9:28 PM
  • I thought all the SEMO teams played well. Charleston looked good even after playing sikeston the night before. Granted Berkeley was not very good. Notre Dame played well. They can really guard people but they need somone to score. Tolbert had a great 1st half...where was he in the second? Once Jackson realized they could play with McCluer North the game was over. What an effort to come back. Central played the worst team there but with Branch, they will be a lot better. They no longer played that SLOW pace. They looked like they belong playing in the SEMO conf. I like the new pace they play at.

On a side note...Scott Co. would beat every team in there by a lot. Sikeston might also.

-- Posted by PO526 on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 9:33 PM
  • I was a little amazed at once the Jackson game was over, how the gym emptied....

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 10:23 PM
  • SemoSports,why do u put all of sikeston fans together in one group?You had a bad time in,were you the one in baseball?So many haters on here I forget who is what. Another question for anyone where is curtis branch from originally?

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 10:34 PM

Prolly a lot of people went to just watch McCluer North. If I for example, would have went to the tournament, the only reason would have been to watch them play. I get to see charleston, ND, Jackson, and cape play 3 or 4 times a year. So I wouldn't care about seeing them. My motivation would have to see MN. Just my take on maybe why it emptied like you said.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 10:35 PM
  • I was a bit taken aback that there were so few Cape fans there...for the unveiling of the greatest Point Guard to grace SE Missouri. Surely Bluejay would have an argument for that, ie...Michael Morris, Ricky Jamison,Jeremy Biles and so on. I find it crazy that Branch has already been put on a pedastel. What you think Bluejay? Buck? Farmboy? Semohoops?

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 10:39 PM

I find it crazy too. It's like the saviour has come haha. But will see how he progresses as the year goes.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 11:12 PM
  • Not questioning the skills..... just the Cape faithful putting all their eggs in one basket.... reminds me of the Jujuan Bell era..... and we know how that worked out. Guess I shouldn't compare apples to oranges......

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 11:19 PM

Charleston has been a point guard factory over the past 20 years: Michael Morris, Jeramy Biles, Carlos McCauley, Tim Frazier, Ricky Jamison, Michael Smith....and the list goes on.

NMCC always said during Charleston's state championship runs, until Derek Tipler came along, the difference in the Jays and the Eagles was Charleston's point guard.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 11:22 PM
  • Along with those PG's were some awesome finisher's as well....All State caliber as well as college potential. Charleston has had some above average talent to work with.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Jan 8, 2011, at 11:26 PM
  • It is sort of like football, they said their best player didn't have a good game the first time and it was worst the second time around..

Good teams don't lose to anyone by 20 even if their best player is out.. That means other players don't step up? Or do they just think like most cape fans "oh well branch will be back next time we play them".. He is good but they may have 5 guys that can score but they don't come 10 deep, those five players better be D-1 talent.. Which their not..

You can have branch and i'll take howard and jamison any day of the week..

And i was there for the MN and half the cape game i had my shirt on i seen rocket..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:04 AM
  • I'll take Branch and Tisdell against those two anyday.

Where'd you sit at, facing benches or behind them?

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:23 AM
  • Sorta like you'd pick byrd and moore?

I'd take Hatchett, Porter, Howard, Jamison, and Holifield over cape's line up any day of the week..

I'd take my junior class too

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:30 AM

I'd take Howard and Jamison. They've proven themselves much more, have better speed and defense, and Jamison is money from the free throw line. If you are up in a close game with under three minutes to go, all you have to do is give Terry the ball and you've got the game won. Most clutch player in Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:30 AM
  • Well I'd think they've proven themselves more considering Branch has only played one game thus far and this is Tisdell's first varisty year although he is leading the team in ppg and maybe rebounds. I'll take Branch from the line or behind the line anyday. Just wait for the rematch, and you can't say it will be like football because in football we had everybody both games, in this rematch we will have our two top gaurds playing and maybe a 3rd to come off the bench depending on how his injury rehab progresses.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:38 AM
  • I hope you pick up 5 more shooters.. Your gonna need it..

Its like a broken record.. Wait till next time

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:45 AM
  • Rocket

I'm not trying to start anything either, just having a little fun. I was sitting on the same side as the benches so we saw it different. If he did throw a punch, that was just plain stupid. He's going to play for Arkansas in the SEC next year and he's going to be playing tougher defenders than Jackson so he needs to toughen up a little bit. Someone put on here that SCC and Sikeston would have beat all 8 teams playing and I agree. I don't think any of the teams could have handled the full court press that either team brings.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 7:47 AM
  • From behind the benches it looked like he just mouthed off or maybe pushed him i didnt know he punched him till he got home..

Oh a side note.. Everyone says sikestons fans complain and are disrespectful the whole time.. Those jackson fans had me laughing at how ridiculous they sounded.. A group of guys mocked him the whole way out of the gym

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:13 AM
  • I was sitting across from the benches during the Jackson-McCluer North game and yes B.J. Young did throw a forearm toward the chin of the Jackson player. He didn't connect very well but the intent was there. Getting ejected now before playoff time may send a message that inappropriate behavior on the court has consequences. If this happened in a district or playoff game it could cost a very good team a chance for a State title. This is his 3rd school in 4 years so there may be a history of trouble. He has gone from CBC to Hazelwood Central to McCluer North. On another note the Branch kid looks like a very good player and should help Cape Central to improve, how much only time will tell.

-- Posted by semo ref on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:55 AM
  • If he didnt have to sit out any years that means he moved from one place to another, and to assume a high school student has a history of trouble from one Basketball game is idiotic, obviously he isn't your average basketball player and wouldn't be going to a D-1 college if he was a terrible kid..

Okay so he let his anger get the best of him..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:09 AM
  • Wow Semosports, I hope you don't end up eating your words. After one game, ONE game, your making Branch seem like a god. Not only has he played one game, it was against a 5 win team. Not the best team to evaluate him against. I mean I can see you saying that Branch is going to be a good point guard in the future, you can usually tell that from any game. But, to say the he's Bobby Hatchett with a better shot and more strength? That's a little crazy.

Now, let me clarify: I'm not saying he isn't the next Hatchett, because I haven't even seen him play. But c'mon Semosports you gotta be a little more conservative because if he ends up not being as good as you think your going to look like an idiot.

-- Posted by thepurpleturtle on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:14 AM
  • He's not bobby hatchett, those are two different levels

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:03 PM

McClure North didn't impress me. SCC or Sikeston would have rolled over that team to be honest with you.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:37 PM
  • gadget

I didn't have a walker....I had the Rascal (motorized cart) for your information!! LOL!

Fatboy

I agree with you and the SEC comment. Some friends and I said almost the exact same thing. I'm sure he's not used to playing physical like all the teams in SEMO play and he just lost his cool. I don't know who said it about the Young kid going to other schools.....I heard that too. Seems to me that he may have an attitude problem.

I have to give Jackson credit....they didn't quit and almost won. I'm sure MN thought they could cruise to the win.

Ref

I'm glad you were sitting on the same side as me. It was obvious on that side of the floor.....IMO.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 1:04 PM
  • Gadget, I didn't assume he had trouble so it wasn't idiotic. He left CBC because of grade problems and was kicked off Hazelwood Central's team for discipline issues so that may be a history of problems. Hopefully he will mature, see the error of his ways and go on to a college career to better himself.

-- Posted by semo ref on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 1:42 PM
  • I didn't say he was the next Bobby, i said you can compare him to Bobby but Bobby has better top speed and is a better jumper, pretty much what i mean is that Bobby is more athletic and an inch or so taller but Branch has a better shot and stronger. They are about even as far as quickness and handles. I'm not just basing this on one game, it's also based on all the summer games.

During warmups of the Jackson game the MN players were just out there messing around and having fun and it continued in the first half when they were walking up and down the court. I think that they were planning on just easing through this with a W but Jackson was probably one of the most physical teams they've played, like Jackson always is. I was facing the benches and it looked like John was holding onto BJ's jersey and when he couldn't separate he tried to throw a "quiet" elbow. The way I understood it was that he wasn't recruited very much at all until this past summer when he came onto the scene strong in AAU ball. This info came from what Crash Davis wrote during the cover it live thing. He seemed to have a lot of info on this kid and the team overall.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 1:48 PM

SemoSports, if you want info on BJ Young, just head over to the stltoday website. The posters over there think he is an equal to Bradley Beal out of Chaminade. In terms of Branch, he does not have a better shot than Bobby, sorry. Bobby was a complete package that could burn you himself or dish it out to the right guy and let him do it for you. On defense, he was relentless and just as talented. To not be on par with Bobby doesn't make him a bad player but don't try to say he has equal handles or quickness. There was a reason Bobby got recruited so heavily.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 1:59 PM
  • And there is a reason Branch is being recruited by several smaller D1 schools including SEMO. I do not know if you were there yesterday but if so then you have only got one look at him and you should be quite impressed with the kinds of passes he made. I think before you judge him so quick you should watch him play a few more games if. Yesterday he was just toying with the other team, you could tell because he would ask for the ball up top just so he could cross somebody, drive to the basket, and dish it off so he could get his assists and double-double.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 2:44 PM
  • Looks like Branch as been on a H.S. tour in the STL area over the past few years.

This is just a question so please don't get all crazy. I heard this is Branch's 3rd school in 3 years. Is that correct?

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 2:45 PM
  • Sorry...Young's tour through STL schools.

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 2:46 PM
  • I think Branch is a real good player but i agree lets wait till he plays against some good teams and see how it plays out, that team they played Sat. was TERRIBLE.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 2:48 PM
  • coming from john wall that means a lot...

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 10:40 PM

He also can run the scoreboard, buys the coach snacks from the concession stand, and donates his shoes to an orphan after every game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 10:55 PM
  • Semo ref said the same thing I've heard about Young....left because of academic issues at CBC his freshman year, kicked off the Hazelwood Central team (who is undefeated right now....would be scary good if he was still with that group) his sophomore year, transferred to McCluer North last year but had to sit out because of transfer rules. Even so, he was still being recruited by some mid major regional schools (Missouri State, SIU, etc) until this spring when he had a huge game against top 25 2011 prospect Tony Wroten and continued dominating the AAU circuit. Though he has signed a LOI with Arkansas, there appears to be questions on whether he will qualify (no first hand knowledge at all, just passing along what several others have said including recruiting experts).

As far as Branch goes, I've heard good things but haven't watched him in person. I imagine he will immediately help Cape Central out, especially considering their need for help in the backcourt.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:10 PM
  • Sideline starter you should be a comedian because that's the funniest post I ever read. You'll be hearing his name a lot the rest of the season so get used to it. He's the best pure PG in the area hands down.

But it won't matter because it won't be vs. anybody good until Sikeston. Nobodys good except Sikeston according to you.

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:26 PM

Yes, there is no other team in the state of Missouri with any talent near the level that Sikeston possesses. I've never given any credit to SCC, Charleston, Kennett, Jackson, Cape, DeSoto, Farmington, Caruthersville, Portageville. I didn't go watch the Christmas tournament for two nights because Sikeston wasn't there.

But all sarcasm aside, I just have a tendency not to hype up Sikeston players as these untouchable figures because they are not, just like Curtis Branch isn't, just like Keilon Moore and and Chris Bird proved not to be. I know better than to continually pump up a player because I've seen Sikeston people do it before and eat crow for it i.e. the Cal Lane era. If you guys want to say that Curtis Branch is the best PG in the area over and over based off what he has done against one weak opponent, be my guest. I'm just trying to keep the Cape egos on the ground until they play a few SEMO Conference games and let those players do it for me.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:36 PM
  • An outsider from Arkansas looking in. A few years ago I coached against a jr. high player from Nettleton Jr. High in Jonesboro Ar. that was outstanding, could it be the same Curtis Branch?

-- Posted by whatarush on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:40 PM
  • Yes it is whatarush. Coach Dickey Nutt nudged him into Missouri to play a little ball.

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:54 PM
  • Yeah he's from Jonesboro and went to Nettleton. How are you saying he's not an "untouchable figure" since you can't judge someone after one game. You're contradicting yourself.

I heard Central plays Farmington on Wednesday btw. So you can get a better judgement of that. I you even consider Farmington a decent team.

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:55 PM

Play that game if you want to just to avoid my point. And yeah, if Grindel is back for Farmington, then it will be a good game to judge his talent as well as how he will be able to contribute as a teammate. Without Grindel, Farmington is an average team at best though. Want to dispute that? Just look at the disparity in scoring margins with and without him in the games against DeSoto.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 12:01 AM
  • JWall...is he quicker than Howard from Sikeston? Is he quicker than Hatchett too? Because if he is...which i don't think anyone is quicker than Howard....he will be tough. I say Howard because he can pick your pocket at half court and he can shoot a layup before you even know it. Do I think Howard is the BEST guard in the area??? No, but he is quicker than anyone I've seen. And before you think I'm bashing my own player, I think before you put Branch as the best PG in the area I think he should play the best defense in the area. We will see come mid Feb what he's got. Yes Farmington will be a good measuring stick, but Holifield will come up with something to contain him. Not stop him all together but contain him.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:09 AM
  • Ctjungle you have to have the hardest head in america.. No one is an untouchable figure.. So yes he can say Curtis branch isn't after your faithful followers show back up after seeing cape play a kelly like school..

As soon as they lose with branch all the hype will be over..

And if he is faster then darryl or janiel maybe he should do track.. He'd probably be one of the fastest people in the state..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 3:09 PM
  • He has a brother that came to Cape for a while that is supposedly a track star, while he was here he was going to alternative school though and is now living with relatives back in jonesboro. jungle11 never said he was an untouchable figure he just said that you can't say that he isn't either if you don't believe in judging after one game.

What a lot of you don't think of is that us Cape students have been going to school with him since last spring and have seen him play more than just this past saturday.

dogs, who is the best defense in the area, SCC?

sideline wasn't it you last night that was saying that one player doesn't make or break a team and now here you are saying that Grindle holds Farmington together. that's why we say you are contradictory.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 3:40 PM
  • It's a principle thing not something about facts.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 4:06 PM
  • Okay in his first game he traveled and threw a pass got that block... He is not untouchable..

Enough facts for ya?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 4:15 PM
  • I'll restate my previous statement and maybe this time you'll understand it. It's a principle thing NOT about facts. Your last post made you look dumb because I said it's not about facts and you listed facts. Is that simple enough for you. Besides gadget none of this princple stuff related to you until you jumped in, it was all directed at sideline.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 4:23 PM
  • I read it wrong, i finally had a mistake..

But how can you honestly say he is untouchable when no one is? If he was Gods child then he'd be going to duke.. He is not even close to bobby hatchett or Otto Porter..

Do you see SCC fans coming on here saying how great he is? No because he is proven himself against more then just 5 win teams.. So untill he plays a sikeston, or farmington don't try to tell anyone he is "Capes chosen one".. Which maybe he is, that wouldn't be tough.. He made plays that any good player in the SEMO area could have..

Everyone already hates cape, and to continue to talk him up before he's played in a BIG game is making YOU look dumb..

But it wont matter come about march when Curtis Branch and his discples are sitting at home..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 4:44 PM
  • More people hate Sikeston than Cape, sorry to burst your bubble there.

I never said he is untouchable and you act like I have only watched him play one game.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 5:00 PM
  • I'm starting to get a man-crush on Curtis Branch, and I have never even seen him...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 5:04 PM
  • How many players does Sikeston have that are being recruited by D1 schools for basketball.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 5:15 PM
  • Darryl Howard.

Corey Porter.

Will Hollifield.

All three have D1 schools showing interest in them.

-- Posted by Bleacherbum on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 5:23 PM
  • The reason people hate sikeston is different from the reason people hate cape let me explain..

People hate sikeston because teams around here cant beat us..

People hate cape because you THINK teams can't beat you..

13-0

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 5:40 PM
  • And Janiell Hatchett..

And in the furture probably Kilron Coleman, Terry Jamison, Keldon Warfield, Eldridge Gipson, Caleb Mcgee, Vashon Ruffin, Reese Porter and Jt Jones..

Oh wait thats the whole second team too?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 5:45 PM
  • The best thing is that you guys didn't hate cape until this year when we showed some success in football. O ya nevermind this all started last year when we beat you in basketball.

O wait but the second team doesn't matter because half of them are too young for college to look at and let'ssee how they progress before we king them the next comings of Jordan.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 5:56 PM
  • We were more successful in basketball for the past 4-5 seasons bud, and WAY more successful in the past two years in football..

And you asked a question who is being recruited and i answered with hatchett, and the people who WILL be recruited.. Not who will run the SEMO area like Ole curtis..

You can't beat me.. Just give up

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 5:59 PM
  • i'm sure i can...wait a few weeks and then another month for baseball season. i already got you to admit that you read something wrong and that i had an arguement about SCC. far more than anyone else has acheived on here.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM
  • Yet again a postponement.. First it was Keilon had an off night, then you realized sikeston is the real deal(which was evident), then it was wait till we Get god's one and only curtis branch, now it's baseball..

And actually i'd give the second best poster award to my boy rocket or sideline starter..

And i'll tell TA to pegg you in the neck for me

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:05 PM
  • best non-sikestonian.

go for it, tell your good friend tyler to hit me, i'll job on down to first.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:13 PM
  • actually tellhim to hit me 6 times in a game, he doesn't throw that hard and i wouldn't mind getting a school record.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:15 PM

TA has more god given talent in Baseball than you could ever dream of

-- Posted by VeteranDog54 on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:32 PM
  • did i ever say anything about his talent besides his pitching velocity. honestly he has great velocity for his age but i'm just used to faster.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:37 PM
  • and you have no idea who i am so your statement is plain ignorant and rude.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:37 PM
  • Spoken from a true crybaby..

I was being sarcastic..

You rude person.. Pshh SMDH

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:40 PM
  • SemoSports, would you let Rocket689 throw at you? Please...

We can make it an event and I'll charge admission.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:50 PM
  • I was once clocked 72 with a wiffleball.. No lie

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:51 PM

SemoSports, I didn't realize you started your hate-filled rant based off my statement not to judge Branch yet also saying he isn't an untouchable figure. Yeah, that was a bit contradictory but I assume you know what I meant and just want to attack my wording because you along with every other Cape fan think I just hate Cape Central with a passion. To be honest, I have no problem with Cape or their students. In fact, I have quite a few friends who graduated from there at the same time as me. All I want to do (and I have failed) is try to show you guys that the hype machine isn't going to win you games or respect. I know it from experience. This board lit up three years ago when Cal Lane moved back to Sikeston and many Sikeston fans crowned that team right then and there. Then, Ryan Willen came off of injury and blew out Sikeston along with every other team in the state on their way to a title. Lane turned out to do more harm than good for the team. Curtis Branch is a similar character. much hyped-up talent from watching practice and gym class but hasn't proven himself on the court yet you think the fact that he is in the lineup gives you the game. It is dangerous thinking my friend. Now, to spend the day putting down Sikeston athletes and trying to seem "hard" isn't going to provide any credibility to your posts. Calm it down.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:53 PM
  • It wouldn't be hard to figure out who you are.. If you cross refernce the football roster and the baseball one too..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:01 PM
  • Blah Blah Blah.......

-- Posted by mandm96 on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for the love, Gadget!!

Bro, it might take me a little bit to get loose, but I can still bring the high octane!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:31 PM

Can we take a semoball pole or vote, or just come to an agreement that SemoSports has far and above taken my spot as the sikeston hater!? Anyone anyone!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:31 PM

I'd agree Buck. For a hater, I still enjoy what you post and respect you on the site.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:33 PM
  • I say we take a vote that if anyone argue's back and forth like a bunch of menstruating women (no offense Rachel) just because they want to see their own posts that they have to hit themselves in the head with a hammer at least 10 times.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:36 PM

Thanks sideline. I respect yours too. And I agree dude!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:43 PM
  • This thread is officially out of hand. I'm terrified at the number or sensible, level-headed posts inspector was able to make before things went bad.

Can we all please agree to stop talking about causing physical harm to one another? I mean really? Really?

Not every topic is a matter of monumental importance. Not every player is a D1 superstar, not everything is about Sikeston-Central, etc., etc., etc. Geezzzzzzz.

This thread is officially on my nerves. Say something not relevant and reasonable about the Tiger Shootout or direct a post at another member, and I'm going to delete it.

Someone please think of something new for us to talk about and start a new thread? (I'm looking at you sideline starter. Got something?)

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:53 PM
  • By the way, I officially used "this thread is officially" two times too many in that last post. :)

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:53 PM

Give me fifteen minutes. I'm on it Crader.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:56 PM
  • Thanks!

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 7:59 PM
  • I try to give reasonable debates and i get critisized i act like an idiot i get it worse its a lose lose!!

But does Bj young have to sit out the next game since he was booted?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 8:46 PM
  • Yes. In high school sports if you are ejected, you sit the next game. Same goes for coaches. And if it's the last game of the year and you are a junior, you sit the first game your senior year. I believe that is a national high school rule.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:17 PM
  • Rachel, would continuing the ongoing debate about Curtis Branch, reasonably of course, be ok on this thread or should we start a new one. And you were at the shootout saturday, what was your first impression of him?

I just have one more quick off topic thing to get out there and I'm done, I've taken a cutter from Ryan Modglin in the gut and just about a hour ago took a fastball from Neil Johnson off the arm, don't think much more harm could be done.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:33 PM

You're so cool.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:40 PM
  • shouldn't you be thinking of a new thread.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:42 PM
  • Wow, you are so tough. I doubt anybody else could get through that experience without a hospital visit.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:52 PM
  • I was at the shootout. My impression is that Branch is good and that he will improve an already good Central team and help them win games.

There were certainly flashes of great skill from him and I believed Central coach Drew Church when he said he was an unselfish team player. He certainly appeared to be and he when I talked to him he seemed to be a nice, humble guy with plenty of insight. I enjoyed meeting him.

That being said, it was one not very close game against a team that didn't really have much to threaten Central with anyway. I don't think it makes sense to try to make broad statements about his game or compare him to anyone based on Saturday's performance. It was a good debut from him and Central has a soft schedule over the next week or so that should give him some time to get comfortable.

Anything beyond he's clearly good and will clearly help Central is just jumping to conclusions. As I've said many times before, the beauty of sports is that we'll find out soon enough how good he/Central is. That's why they play the game, etc., etc., etc.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:59 PM
  • I mean really somebody said that they would pay to see rocket throw at me so I'm saying that he wouldn't do anything that hasn't already been done.

Sideline I meant to say this last post. No I don't think you hate Cape Central with a passion just like I don't hate SHS with a passion. We are all very passionate fans of our school and hate others who try to tell us differently.

Rachel I have a proposal for a new banner to put under the semoball logo: Welcome to semoball, we're one big hateful family. or like on another online forum i'm involved in "Where every statement gets ripped apart and scrutinized."

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:03 PM
  • All right semohoops, semosports and sidelinestarter. All of you hug right now and make up! Serioulsy man-hugs all around.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:08 PM
  • For the record, that's my first ever comment to semosports. I just thought it was funny Rachel. I have no problem with Cape being excited about their new player and their team.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:10 PM
  • I will accept that post as a hug, semohoops. :) You are off the hook.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:11 PM

SemoSports, I'm sorry for sarcastically noting that gloating about getting pegged by baseballs is cool. By the way, I did make that new post buddy. It just got buried before it had a chance.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:13 PM
  • That's the best hug I've got.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:15 PM
  • sideline starter, I will also accept your post as a hug, though admittedly not a very strong embrace. Haha. The use of the word "buddy" is rarely a strong sign of affection. :)

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:16 PM

I'm not exactly a warm and fuzzy fixture on this board.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:18 PM
  • Haha. I hold out hope for both world and semoball forum peace, where loves conquers all. Or something...

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:19 PM
  • not sure if I've said anything to semohoops before. i think my last post to sideline in the second statement was one of the nicer ones, well at least not life threatening or anything.

No I did not even get a chance to see the thread because i was working but i can only imagine what it could've been with the posts earlier.

Really I'm not a bad poster, if anybody can remember back to the summer and into the fall before the half way mark of football, I was actually one of the "liked" Cape posters. Things don't take a turn for the worse until people start twisting words.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:19 PM
  • I got hit by Clay "The headhunter" Driskill one time, he throws high 90's

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:31 PM
  • I didn't mean to imply you were a bad poster, SemoSports. Just making light of the little tiff/sarcasm battle you all were having.

I still and always have liked you. :) Just trying to bring peace to the thread. I hope Neil didn't do any permanent damage and that you got a few good swings in.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:37 PM
  • The tiger shootout was great...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 8:52 AM
  • I'll reply to this one more time and I'm done. Nobody said that he is as good if not better than Bobby, at least I didn't. I said that he is about even in some things, not as good in some, and a little better shooter.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 3:46 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: