Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: State Rankings

Posted by semocardsfan21 on Tue, Feb 8, 2022, at 3:40 PM:

Which state rankings are the OFFICIAL state rankings? Is it the MBCA Polls or Maxpreps rankings? I feel the individuals (I'm being nice, would prefer to call them something with less dignity) who rank them on the MBCA website don't fully understand the criteria. What does everybody else think of these? And boy, does Southeast Missouri teams get screwed over!

Replies (16)

• Semocardsfan21 I would say MBCA is more accurate...and I feel semo prolly has all teams that deserves mentioned in the MBCA polls. Who do you feel is left out that should be in there?

-- Posted by indian73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2022, at 6:42 PM

MBCA for sure. Thereís only one poll that matters imo & itís determined in Springfield at the end of the season. Itís pretty accurate too because if you bring home a 3rd place trophy, youíre ranked 3rdÖ and so on and so forth.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Feb 8, 2022, at 10:38 PM
  • Maybe capeC should be top 10 class 5..🤷🏻‍♂️

Donít know enough about the current top 10 list...

-- Posted by indian73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2022, at 11:04 PM
  • Cape should probably be top 5. Cardinal Ritter plays and beats all the out-of-state teams they play but gets beat when they play local or Missouri Schools. They are way overrated.

I will say again, at the risk of being off-topic, Southeast Missouri teams see high-quality defenses more often than other parts of State. Blair Oaks hasn't seen a defense as good as NMCC. Most teams in class 5 haven't played a defense as tough as Cape's. I don't know enough about Cape's roster, how deep they are etc, but I do think they are underrated and that they will match up well against other parts of State defensively, though they may struggle offensively.

-- Posted by Uncle Fatz on Wed, Feb 9, 2022, at 2:10 PM

CR is down this year, by their standards anyway, and is likely getting votes due to their previous 2 seasons. BO beat them by nearly 20 and BO beat NMCC in a much, much closer game. Cape Played played NMCC to an OT loss and beat NNCC by 1. Based on that logic alone, Cape Central is a better ball team. If the state tournament plays out right, CR and Cape could meet in the quarterfinals for a shot at Springfield.

I agree Cape Centra is a top 10 Class 5 team this year. The good news though is they will have a chance to prove it.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Feb 9, 2022, at 8:23 PM
  • State Rankings are cool and all but they truly have no meaning at all in the grand scheme of things. Getting to Springfield and winning there proves who the best teams are.

For example since itís well known iím a fan of Campbellís basketball team.

Lakeland and Mid-Buchanan were both ranked numbers 1 and 2 all season last year in class 2 but got beat in their sectional. Campbell was #4 and they won it all. And this season they were state ranked early due the success they had the previous year. Even though itís apparent that they do not deserve the state ranking. Itís all a guessing game as itís hard to gauge teams from across the stateÖ

-- Posted by CaptainC on Thu, Feb 10, 2022, at 11:57 PM

CaptainC - Agree wholeheartedly on that. There is *some merit in state rankings, but once you get past the "no doubters" like Vashon, Charleston, NMCC, Delta, Ellington, SI, CBC, etc. it's basically a toss-up. I've seen teams come into playoffs with a 30-0 or 29-1 record and get absolutely dominated. For example, in 2000 Ironton came into the sectionals against NMCC with a record of like 29-1 or maybe even undefeated. Had a young man named Chris Foster who ended up playing at Northern Iowa averaging somewhere around 32 a game. An unranked NMCC team with a record around 22-7 turbo clocked them and nearly all of Foster's points came during the mop-up time. Ironton was ranked top 2-3, NMCC went on to win the title.

I get the excitement of being ranked, but it's an imperfect system at the high school level due to inconsistent competition levels around the state. A team like Cape who hasn't been ranked or made many waves in the playoffs the past few years won't get attention until they have a deep playoff run. Considering their youth at key positions, a deep run this year will and very well should, have them ranked throughout next year. It also doesn't help that virtually the same squad laid an egg a year ago and drastically underachieved. I do, however, attribute much of that to the season upheaval due to that virus that shall not be named ( :) ).

Anyway, I think we all know which of our (Bootheel) teams have a chance to advance and have a shot at a title and which ones do not. Does Cape? I think the ingredients are there to throw a kink in the plans. But for now, I think they probably like playing the role of underdog, but who am I to speak for them?

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Fri, Feb 11, 2022, at 1:19 PM
  • Bootheel teams I think will make final 4...

Bernie, Charleston, NMCC and CapeC..my prediction Bernie(finally) and Charleston will win state titles...

-- Posted by indian73 on Fri, Feb 11, 2022, at 1:53 PM

We have to make it past Caruthersville in districts...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Feb 11, 2022, at 4:17 PM
  • I agree with all those Indian, I probably wouldn't bet on Bernie to win, but I will be rooting for them.

-- Posted by Uncle Fatz on Fri, Feb 11, 2022, at 6:04 PM
  • As far as the bootheel, I am going to say Charleston and NMCC will represent SEMO in the final 4.

Bernie can win their district and POSSIBLY go to the final 4. I truly believe Alton has unfinished business from last year and they are really good. I will be rooting for Bernie but that quarterfinal of Alton and Bernie will be a must watch game.

Cape Central has all the ability to make a run. they just have to actually DO IT instead of laying an egg like last year.

-- Posted by CaptainC on Fri, Feb 11, 2022, at 10:39 PM

...we just defeated a STL team: STRAIGHT OUTTA CHARLESTON...⛹️‍♂️

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sat, Feb 12, 2022, at 11:09 PM
  • This is interesting.

If Bernie were to win a State Championship, they may have to beat the same 4 teams that Campbell beat on their way to a State title last year, albeit in a different order.

Campbell's run:

Alton

Valle Catholic

Norwood

Salisbury

Should Bernie win their district(no small feat, as they may have to beat Advance a 3rd time, which won't be easy):

Valle Catholic is the 1 seed in district 4(which would match up with Bernie)

Alton is the 1 seed in District 2 and is probably the favorite to make the Quarterfinals, since they just beat South Pem, the 1 seed in District 1.

Salisbury is the 1 seed in District 7(which would match up with the winner of District 1-4 Quarterfinal Winner in State Semis), is 20-1 and appears to be a favorite to return to Springfield.

Norwood is 23-1(only loss to Thayer, Class 3 #1)#1 in the State, and has one of the best players in the state in Garrett Davault. This would be the matchup in the Championship game, should both teams make it.

It probably means nothing, as one off night can send any team home. Just thought it was interesting to look at!

-- Posted by omaha on Tue, Feb 15, 2022, at 9:36 AM
  • South Iron boys has lost two games in row. They lost to Fatima and last night they lost to Steelville by 7 a team they dominated at the Christmas tournament. Does anyone have any information on whatís going on? Maybe Leopold or whoever comes out of district 1 may have a chance after all?

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 16, 2022, at 11:46 AM
  • Omaha, I looked into that and thought the same thing! I knew Alton, Norwood and Salisbury all were bringing back a good heap of talent. Didnít know much of Valle Catholic. It would be cool to see Bernie play the same teams if they keep winning!

-- Posted by CaptainC on Thu, Feb 17, 2022, at 11:13 PM
  • Class 4 MBCA POLL

Team

1 Vashon

2 Blair Oaks

3 Mexico

4 Father Tolton

5 MICDS

6 NMCC

7 Richmond

8 Fatima

9 Ava

10 Whitfield

Others receiving votes: Pembroke Hill, Aurora, Kirksville, Hollister, Miller Career Academy.

The Coaches Poll overall looks pretty accurate.

-- Posted by otheroldman on Wed, Mar 16, 2022, at 10:02 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: