Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: B.A. Sports All-Star Game Award Recipients

Posted by drawmules on Sat, Apr 10, 2010, at 8:11 PM:

Volleyball Awards

MVP All-Star Game: Katie Diebold (Scott City)

Passing Contest Winner: Kristen Pratt (Puxico)

Spiking Contest Winner: Lauren Henderson (Fredericktown)

Defensive Player of the Year: Cassandra Bollinger (Jackson)

Offensive Player of the Year: Brooke Simpson (Scott City)

Setter of the Year: Lauren Seller (Leopold)

Player of the Year: Brooke Simpson (Scott City)

Coach of the Year: Haley Jennings (Scott City)

Basketball Awards

Slam Dunk Champion: Deonte Jones (Charleston)

Three-Point Contest (Girls): Lane Morrill (Notre Dame)

Three-Point Contest (Boys): Jake Owens (Bernie)

MVP All-Star Game (Small School Boys): Jake Owens (Bernie)

MVP All-Star Game (Large School Boys): Jay Raulston (Poplar Bluff)

MVP All-Star Game (Girls): Ruthie Johnson (Poplar Bluff)

Female Player of the Year: Lane Morrill (Notre Dame)

Male Player of the Year: Bobby Hatchett (Scott County Central)

Girls Basketball Coach of the Year: Becky Hale (Neelyville)

McFerron Award: Drew Church (Cape Central), Jim Vaughn (Kennett) {first time two coaches are selected}

Athletic Director of the Year: Diane Fowler (NMCC)

Heartland Courage Award: Randrick Caruthers (Kennett)

Best Large School Fans: Sikeston

Best Small School Fans: Leopold

Replies (11)

• Note: I've never agreed more with a list of award recipients.

Diane Fowler does any outstanding job as the A.D. at NMCC. I saw her at every athletic competition I attended at NMCC this year and she always greeted everyone with a friendly smile.

Haley Jennings, Becky Hale, Jim Vaughn and Drew Church deserved the Coach of the Year awards. These are the coaches I would have voted for this year. I think I've already indicated Drew Church did an outstanding job at Cape Central in previous forum posts.

Sikeston and Leopold continue to have some of the best fans in SEMO. I am not surprised they received awards.

Bobby Hatchett and Lane Morrill were remarkable. I'm not surprised they received male and female athlete of the year honors.

Brooke Simpson was and outstanding hitter (the best hitter in the state in Class 2) and Laren Seller almost always provided her hitters with perfect sets. Both of these players deserved the awards they received.

Randrick Caruthers received the Heartland Courage Award. I was also in the Bloomfield last year when Caruthers collapsed. I've never seen anything like it at a basketball game. He had a long road back and he definitely deserved the award.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Apr 10, 2010, at 8:27 PM

Jane not Lane.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Apr 10, 2010, at 8:46 PM
  • Correct Larry Doby.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Apr 10, 2010, at 10:13 PM
  • How about the Jake Owens performance? I hear he did an outstanding job winning the three point challenge and making MVP of the game yesterday?!

-- Posted by gobigbernieblue on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 8:01 AM
  • Yes. Owens was outstanding. I believe he had 21 3's in the three-point contest. It will be interesting to see if Three Rivers shows any interest in upcoming weeks.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 2:11 PM
  • Draw, is Jake Owens trying to go to college in baseball or basketball? I have heard different rumors so I was wondering if you might be certain on which sport he is looking to further his career in.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 2:47 PM
  • baseballfan2010

This is a really good question. Colleges are interested in at least four Bernie athletes. Jake Welch is headed to Southern Illinois University on a baseball scholarship. Quinton Stevens is likely headed Northwestern Florida State College on a baseball scholarship. Central Methodist is interested in offering Jake Owens a basketball scholarship. Several basketball programs have also shown interest in Jake Smith. However, I do not have the names of the schools that are interested in Jake Smith.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 3:19 PM
  • I'm a little surprised to see Deonte Jones win the dunk contest. I thought this was Ealy's contest to lose, but Deonte has got some hops as well.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Apr 12, 2010, at 8:18 AM

Ealy didn't play...

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 12, 2010, at 10:05 AM
  • He didn't compete in the dunk contest or didn't play in the game? What happened?

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Apr 12, 2010, at 10:17 AM

he didn't participate in either event.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 12, 2010, at 10:27 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: