Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Who wins the Semo Christmas Tourney and why?

Posted by semocardsfan21 on Sat, Dec 22, 2018, at 9:47 PM:

I’m picking Jackson. I think they will beat Cape Centralin the championship.

Replies (25)

• Cape Central wins this tournament fairly easily

-- Posted by Semo1990 on Sat, Dec 22, 2018, at 10:15 PM
  • Cape doesn’t win anything easily other than swimming. And that too will likely change since the geniuses want to build the new pool down by the sink holes and the discount cigarette and liquor store.

But there’s no dominate team in the tourney so Cape has a good shot.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Sat, Dec 22, 2018, at 10:34 PM
  • Jackson has responded to a loss against Poplar Bluff by going on a 6-Game winning streak, beating Vianney and Lutheran South better than Bluff did in the shootout a week and a half ago. Last year, Jackson faced practically the same Central team and was tied 30-30 at half-time. In my honest opinion, watching these men closely, this is a better Jackson ball club than we saw last year. I expect Cape and Charleston to give Jackson the attention they deserve.

Cause if they don’t, they’re in some trouble.

-- Posted by Touche on Tue, Dec 25, 2018, at 4:26 PM
  • Jackson with an enrollment of around 1500 students (9-12) is ranked 3rd behind Charleston with an enrollment around 300 students.

The good news is they rank just ahead of 4th ranked Oran with an enrollment around 200.

With all these students and resources available, figure Jackson is given all the respect they deserve.

-- Posted by UFO on Wed, Dec 26, 2018, at 1:35 AM
  • These games are a lot closer then what I expected. Could be some real barn burners tonight.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Dec 26, 2018, at 3:40 PM
  • @more cowbell do you have ANY idea what you talking about when it comes to swimming and the building of a new pool in Cape? You do realize that all the state titles were won in St Louis and have nothing to do with the Bubble, right?? Do you know why they want to build it in the area your describing as a "sink hole" or the sizes of pools they are opting to build and why that matters to a swimmer? MY GUESS IS NO!!! Most people have no idea about the sport of swimming so educate yourself first before you comment on the future home of the boys AND GIRLS CT swim team. Oh and Central wins Christmas Tournament hands down with Chauncey Hughes as the MVP.

-- Posted by talktothehand on Wed, Dec 26, 2018, at 6:06 PM
  • The district would like a pool built to competitive dimensions and specifications to accommodate training (like the Bubble, but better ... Bubblelicous maybe) because state titles are won by training, not just competing in St.Louis. The current proposal doesn’t do that, at least not the 50 meter type. The proposed pool construction site is down by the sink holes and discount cigarettes and liquor store. The geography of the proposal isn’t that hard.

The proposed pool is being sold as a community enhancement project (that I believe is ill conceived). City leaders probably aren’t going to spend $10,000,000 to construct (and then an additional $1,000,000 per year to operate) a home for a couple dozen student-athletes. The proposed leisure pool and a probable 25 meter pool will be as much a home to senior aerobics classes and a de facto daycare.

I’m not an expert on swimming just as I’m not familiar with competitive yo-yo. I also don’t belong to the League of Professional Paint Drying Viewers.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Wed, Dec 26, 2018, at 6:53 PM
  • This is Cape Central's tournament to lose. There is no one that can match their athleticism. It's as simple as that, really.

-- Posted by JMoney20 on Thu, Dec 27, 2018, at 12:46 PM
  • I predict Cape by 20 points in the final.

-- Posted by Keeping.it.real on Thu, Dec 27, 2018, at 4:29 PM
  • Cape by 20 over who?

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Thu, Dec 27, 2018, at 5:10 PM
  • Well I hate to say it Central by 20+. Good team and coach.

-- Posted by Keeping.it.real on Sat, Dec 29, 2018, at 9:31 PM
  • New Format

Cape Tournament: Jackson, Cape Central, N.D., Sikeston, Dexter, Perryville, Woodland, Scott City, Saxony, Charleston, East Prairie, Kelly, Kennett, Malden, Twin Rivers, and Doniphan.

Bloomfield Tournament: Van Buren, South Pemiscot, Oran, Oak Ridge, Meadow Heights, Chaffee, Bloomfield, Advance, Portageville, Hayti, Bernie, Leopold, Bell City, Scott Central, Richland, and Delta.

Left Outs: Holcomb, Gideon, and Puxico.

-- Posted by Outfield on Sat, Dec 29, 2018, at 10:09 PM
  • Why make the small schools go play in the dark barn? Small schools, in general, tend to bring a larger following. Or at least switch locations each year. I do like your idea, though.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 12:08 AM
  • Good overall idea really! But I agree switch locations. And if this idea doesn’t fly with some, I feel like you still have to agree that there are some schools that do not need to be in with the bigger schools. This year, for me, it was Bell City. Those poor boys gave it all they had but there was no chance to even be very competitive. I know there were several conversations going on where people felt bad for them. Applaud the endless effort though!!

-- Posted by ballgoods on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 12:16 AM
  • Thanks. If we would get a Sikeston-Cape or a Sikeston- Charleston matchup in my opinion it may take the SMC to satisfy the attendance. Also IMO Sikeston fans just might fill up one side on lower level of the SMC for 4 games! The SEMissourian could sponsor both venues now that we all pay for SEMOBALL!!

-- Posted by Outfield on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 10:29 AM
  • The 16 teams in the tournament own it and share the gate so the small schools will never leave.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 11:23 AM
  • smo723 what is the gate pay share situation at Bloomfield?

-- Posted by Outfield on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 2:18 PM
  • devil74, Sikeston may travel well. But I was disappointed in crowd for Central-ND game at SMC semifinals night.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 2:59 PM
  • Toe I missed Friday night, however,the photo gallery pictures look fairly full. The paper does not publish nightly attendance anymore. Why semoball? N.D. barely survived to be in the semis and with a more competitive tournament more than likely would not have been there.

-- Posted by Outfield on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 3:44 PM
  • This is the first time in several years I’ve been there. I guess I was expecting a larger, more engaged crowd with the Cape schools match up.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 4:04 PM

Hey,

I just wanted to jump in and say the Southeast Missourian published nightly attendance figures all four days of the tournament this year, as it has done in the past. It was on the front page of the sports section.

Off the top of my head, attendance for the last two days was over 4,000.

Now, carry on.

-- Posted by Phillip Suitts on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 11:49 PM
  • Gate pay share doesn’t exist at Bloomfield. They own that tournament.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 11:54 PM
  • Thanks Phil, if possible it would be nice to see the scoring leaders list, attendance, and fans picture gallery, which I missed this year unless it was somewhere else, on SEMOball!

-- Posted by Outfield on Mon, Dec 31, 2018, at 9:37 AM
  • The All-Tournament team is seen at the Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament at the Show Me Center Saturday, Dec. 29, 2018. Cape Central's Kinyon Hodges, Oak Ridge's David Layton, Notre Dame's Thomas Crippen, Delta's Eric Berry, Charleston's Terridean Bogan, Cape Central's Tyrus Reddin, Cape Central's Chauncey Hughes, Jackson's Payton Salyer, and Oran's Jacob Shoemaker

-- Posted by Keeping.it.real on Mon, Dec 31, 2018, at 2:48 PM

Since so many people are asking, the scoring leaders and all-tournament team is at https://www.semoball.com/christmas. There was a problem with the all-tournament team, which is why it wasn't showing up initially. That has been corrected.

We did not do fan galleries this year, and attendance was listed exclusively in the newspaper as it has been every year.

-- Posted by Phillip Suitts on Wed, Jan 2, 2019, at 10:30 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: