Replies (77)

• -- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 8:40 PM

46-42 Hazelwood after 3;

Hardimon on bench with 4 fouls

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 8:46 PM

Hazelwood extending its lead

54-44 with 5:30 left

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 8:53 PM
  • Hey birdfan are you going to final four? Go Jays!!!

-- Posted by indian73 on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:06 PM

64-61 Hazelwood with 53.5 seconds left

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:07 PM

Yes, I’ll be in Springfield

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:07 PM

Tied up with 30 seconds left

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:11 PM
  • The Bluff announcer just moments ago actually said, "The Mules are going to try to win the game!" Yep, that's right!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:12 PM
  • Down by two, missed 2 FTs, then missed two put-back attempts; lost by two.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:14 PM

PB inexplicably fouls with 12.6 seconds left; Hawks convert both free throws....Hardimon fouled and misses both free throws; PB has two chances at putbacks and neither would fall.

Hazelwood wins 66-64

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:14 PM
  • What in the world was that foul at 12.6 seconds? Why would that foul ever be committed?

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:17 PM

Mysteries of the universe

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:18 PM

Sounds like PB put up a better fight than many expected

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 10:37 PM
  • Inexplicably?

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 11:51 PM
  • On the road

Underdog

Playing to win

Not arguing for or against the foul

But I can see the strategy

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 11:54 PM

If you’re playing for the win and don’t mind fouling, why not apply defensive pressure and go for a steal? Makes much more sense.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 6:39 AM
  • And why let them run 25 seconds off first holding the ball just to go out there and grab the kid?

-- Posted by sm0723 on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 6:49 AM
  • Going for the steal makes more sense

Should have asked hazelwood to call timeout so he could explain that strategy to his players

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 7:00 AM
  • No if's and's or but's (DUMB PLAY) to foul.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 7:01 AM
  • Coaches coach.

Eat your hot dog and drink your Diet Coke in the stands.

-- Posted by Nada on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 7:38 AM
  • Unconventional yes

Maybe we should have backed into a 2-1-2 zone and waited

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 7:52 AM
  • Will got lost in the moment, and thought they were down a point, instead of tied.

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 7:55 AM
  • He say that on the radio ?

Or paper?

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 8:16 AM
  • Marcus if that's what happened that's an ouchie. Right up there with Hillsboro's last second inbound play.

-- Posted by oldroundballer on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 8:20 AM
  • I talked to someone after the game who was close to the action. Unfortunate how it turned out, but these things happen sometimes.

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 8:26 AM
  • I talked to someone after the game and she thought we should all get a medal then go to Mcdonald s for an ice cream cone

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 8:45 AM
  • McDonalds over Culver's?!..... talk about poor strategy.....

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 8:49 AM
  • You know when it happened, I thought that might have been the case that someone thought they were losing but come on. That's still a sad excuse due to the fact they waited 20+ seconds after the timeout beforehand on the free throws. 64-63 with a timeout as Bluff had one more free throw to shoot to tie it up.

Everything should have been discussed right then. Bluff makes the free throw and Central brings the ball to midcourt and holds it until 12.6 when Bluff fouls.

-- Posted by CalPreps on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 8:57 AM
  • I'll remember all these different takes next time I'm interviewing for the head coach of the third and fourth grade league team

I hope I get hired!

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 9:03 AM
  • Had some Culver's just last night thank you very much. :)

-- Posted by oldroundballer on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 9:06 AM
  • People expect coaches and players to be perfect, and we all love to second guess after a loss, but you can't deny that Bluff coach got a TON out of those players all season. From the first game to the last, they were the most improved team I watched this year. They lost a one-time high D1 recruit, and somehow came together stronger and won their district.

In the end, they went down swinging. That's a season worth saluting.

-- Posted by Fish on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 9:43 AM
  • Well said, Fish.

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 9:48 AM
  • "Went down swinging"

Couldn't have said it better!

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 10:26 AM
  • I agree they played well this season and the biggest reason for that was Leech wasn't playing. I don't expect any team to be perfect but to foul in that situation just boggles me.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 10:56 AM
  • I completely agree with BIGELW on both points about them being better without Leech and the foul to be mind boggling.

-- Posted by CalPreps on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 11:57 AM
  • Explain how the biggest reason is leech not playing?

Should we run the the kid off for next year?

Should we hire bigelw to tonya Harding him?

Genius!

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 1:34 PM
  • Maybe bluff improved this year because 4 of our kids were playing in their third straight district finals

Maybe Durden improved

We'll never know

Fun season over

Now we can cheer on sikeston hayti

Dexter

Neelyville

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 1:40 PM

No love for Charleston crazyparent?

-- Posted by mz259 on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 2:29 PM
  • My bad

Go jays!loved the victory over Whitfield

Representing the semo north!

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 2:48 PM

Just giving you a hard time. Thanks

-- Posted by mz259 on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 2:50 PM
  • Yes they are better without him. He doesn't know how to play without the ball in his hands, he doesn't know how to use his talents to make his team better. Ask just about anybody who knows basketball and they'll agree. Doesn't take a genius to watch them with and without him to see that but thanks for the compliment.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 7:27 PM

He’s an offensive sinkhole. He doesn’t pass or move without the ball. He jacks up 25-30ft 3’s with no second thought about getting teammates involved.

He’s skilled, no doubt. But a terrible teammate. You ask half of PB’s varsity if they’d prefer to play with or without. I bet most will vote without.

-- Posted by FlyEaglesFly on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 10:44 PM
  • It takes a real man to cut down a 17 year old kid.

-- Posted by Nada on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 11:28 PM
  • I would like to buy the above a beer

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 11:50 PM

Crazyparent wanted an explanation as to why Leech not playing was a big factor to their success. I gave said explanation. Wasn’t cutting him down. Didn’t even bring up him having to be removed from team and suspended from school.

-- Posted by FlyEaglesFly on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 4:50 AM
  • Only seen him play with the team one time last year and he didn't look good in the mix. Few trips looked promising as he would drive the lane draw defense and send out a good pass to a teamate then the rest of the game he just wanted to jack volleyball 3s without setting up an offense and didn't really care to help play defense but again that was the only game I seen.

-- Posted by Sharon peters on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 7:12 AM
  • Calling him a “terrible teammate” isn’t “cutting him down? You attacked his character. And then you follow that up with a passive-aggressive comment about what you didn’t bring up ... by bringing it up. I bet you get stuck at the store all the time by pulling on the door that reads ‘PUSH’.

Like I said, it takes a real man to attack a 17 year old.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 7:39 AM

I attacked his character? Settle down.

I gave examples as to why I said he’s a lousy no good teammate. He doesn’t pass, play defense or genuinely put out effort. He likes to chuck it from the cheap seats and look flashy. If he tried half as hard for PB as he does in AAU, this conversation never happens.

-- Posted by FlyEaglesFly on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 8:19 AM
  • Yes, “you attacked his character”. It takes a real man to attack a 17 year old.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 8:31 AM
  • You should have waited a year because at 18, he’s fair game. Hogwash! The facts are the facts regardless of whether you like them or they make someone feel bad. Calling someone a terrible teammate isn’t a character attack especial when what he has displayed in his short time in the SEMO area shows that he doesn’t have much character to attack. You guys need to get a grip.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 8:47 AM
  • Amen T-Roll.

-- Posted by CalPreps on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 8:58 AM
  • We're all keyboard heroes w very limited first hand knowledge and years of experience

Criticizing a KID anonymously!

Any coach w confidence in his abilities would take a talented kid and work w him

If you don't think he would have integrated w the team this year then you should be blaming the coach. If we were picking teams on the playground he would be first or second pick

Depending on how you feel about thatch

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 9:12 AM
  • This entire conversation should be put the rest and I wish him better luck on his next high school (Jonesboro according to some on this board). Hopefully he makes smarter decisions and is successful.

-- Posted by CalPreps on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 9:18 AM

Did I ever say he wasn’t a talent? No. I said he would be the “kid” (he’s almost an adult, but whatever) that nobody wants on their team.

PS. Nobody would pass on Thatch, so he’s shooting for 2nd pick.

-- Posted by FlyEaglesFly on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 9:20 AM
  • Funny you say nobody would want him on their team

Kind of like the fat girl at the bar? That somebody is taking home

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 9:45 AM
  • Bet an ice cream from Culver's you can't find a coach in semo that wouldn't take him next year

They'd be lying if they said they wouldn't

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 9:48 AM
  • Crazyparent....Considering that Leech was recovering from a compound fracture in his leg(impeded by a degree of vitamin deficiency), maybe you should put as much blame on his orthopedic doc and nutritionist as his coach. Then, he made an ill-advised decision at school that derailed any possible playing time he might have garnered late in the season....

Furthermore, whoever advised him to insist to the Stl Eagles staff last spring that he be the starting point guard(ahead of Darius Garland) isn't really looking out for the kid's best interests either......

I hope Marcedus gets things aligned and has the success that his talent would suggest.

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 10:09 AM
  • Just reread my post not sure where I blamed his coach?

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 10:39 AM
  • Compound fracture?

Might want to google that and make sure that's the term you are wanting to use

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 10:43 AM
  • Not defending anything the kid has done

Just find it funny that supposed adults want to tear a kid down for being a kid

I deal w high school /college age kids daily and to expect them to be 100% adults is foolish

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 10:47 AM
  • Thanks for pointing that out. Complex, was it? Just repeating what I was told, erroneously I assume? If you know more about the nature of his injury, I'd love to hear the facts.

Broken leg with complications, in any event, is the reason he wasn't playing at the onset of the season.

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 10:58 AM
  • Reread your post. True, there was no DIRECT blaming, more of a postulation. The spirit of it still feels castigating towards Durden. Maybe that wasn't the intent?

In any event, I still think the responsibility of harmonious coexistence lies equally with coach and player....

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 11:11 AM
  • Attacking a 17 year old kid is sad. I don’t care what he’s done or hasn’t done athletically. I don’t know him, but nothing short of a felony should bring such hatred for a kid.

A worthless adult not might care that he’s “fair game” when he leaves high school, but that’s how common practice works.

Character comprises many things that feed into being a teammate. You sad people attacking a kid’s character are the same “adults” screaming at coaches and refs. And none of you wash outs and never has beens will play on his team or anyone else’s and neither will I. Get a life. Act like an adult.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 12:35 PM
  • Please quit calling college students “kids”. Maybe if we had higher expectations then we would not be living in a society with full grown children.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 12:50 PM
  • My communication skills need polish

Front desk won't type my replies. My intent was if the other posters want to blame someone then that would be the coach not the player

I give Durden credit for doing what needed to be done this season

The rotation evolved all season to where it was firing on all cylinders

Example the Mcdonald kid had very little pt early became a starter and was a force in the post season

Funny how bluff won districts and only had 3 kids on the all district selections left Mcdonald off

If Durden is involved in the selections I'll ding him for that

Everything else would be kudos

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 12:54 PM
  • Your tax dollars support a system that treats them as kids

When the schools and government change drastically back to self responsibility then we can grow up as are parents did

Good luck with that happening in our current nanny state

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 1:01 PM
  • Please quit calling a 17 year old high school junior a “college student”. Maybe if adults acted like adults then kids would follow an example.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 1:25 PM
  • I deal w high school /college age kids daily and to expect them to be 100% adults is foolish

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 10:47 AMReport comment

Here's a thought you SPOS, I wasn't referring to a high school kid.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 1:43 PM
  • Why would one assume the district champion (T-E-A-M) would necessarily merit three players on the All-District team? One should not penalize deserving players simply because their "team" did not win the district title.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 1:48 PM
  • Breathe keyboard hero count to 3 and breathe

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 1:50 PM
  • Jackson had 4 players on the list

Seemed excessive to me

I'm obviously biased

-- Posted by Crazyparent on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 1:59 PM
  • Considering PB district them and Jackson should comprise of most of the selections. I think he's 18 or close to it. I was told (don't know for sure) he can't play AAU this summer because of his age. Bottom line is he isn't a good teammate and if that's attacking his character then maybe he needs to hear it.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 3:10 PM
  • I doubt he needs to hear character development advice on a sports forum. Leave the kid alone.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 3:43 PM
  • "Attacking his character" 🤣🤣

If an 17-18 year old feels his "character" is hurt from critisim on how he doesn't fit in a role, the real world is gonna be a biotch.

I guess we need to build character back up with statements like good effort in that game, good help defense. Your an icon kid, way to be an example to all of the younger kids in the school.

As adults would we then be good character builders, or would we be building a figment of imagination?

-- Posted by Sharon peters on Sat, Mar 10, 2018, at 7:51 AM
  • It takes a real man to criticize a 17 year old kid. And it’s mind boggling that some “adults” are self appointed keyboard martyrs for high school athletic character development. Of course, it’s the same people who complain incessantly about refs missing calls, coaches calling bad plays, kids not adequately performing, and reminiscing about scoring 4 touchdowns with Al Bundy.

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Mar 10, 2018, at 8:01 AM
  • At least their are still a few real men out here!

-- Posted by Sharon peters on Sat, Mar 10, 2018, at 8:02 AM
  • Yep. I see those “real men” screaming at their kids, the refs, the coaches, opposing players,and then driving their ‘97 Cavalier home to bash all of them on a sports forum.

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Mar 10, 2018, at 4:34 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: