Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Bloomfield Christmas Tournament

Posted by BaseballFan4 on Mon, Dec 4, 2017, at 7:09 AM:

Now that we are a little over a week into the season how is everybody thinking the BCT is going to look this year?

Replies (40)

• It might be a little too early to try for the entire bracket but I think the top 4 seeds, and in no particular order right now would be Dexter, Kennett, Malden and Bernie. Regardless of record Kennett and Dexters SOS is toughest in the field, and the teams they play prior to the seed meeting would beat anybody else in the tournamentand always get them both ready for the BCT. Malden held its own against a good Advance squad and seemed to beat SCC quite easily for 3rd at the OIT. Bernie beat Neelyville pretty good after Neelyville upset a state ranked Risco squad in the Bernie invitational. Also, Hayti and East Prairie might round out the top 6 spot before the seed meeting. East prairie has a nice win over NMCC. Hayti seems to play well at the BCT and are a defending district champion but I’m not sure what they lost to graduation.

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Dec 4, 2017, at 10:26 AM

Wish Saxony was still in this event with the local teams. Carbondale has great competition but it’s not as fun as playing against these teams.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Dec 4, 2017, at 11:02 AM
  • Semolian I agree Dexter will be head and shoulders above everyone else. Kennett might be closer to everyone else than they are to Dexter this year. Neelyville was without their two best players against Bernie, one of which put up 26 on Risco, so read into that what you will. Bernie is still really solid, though.

-- Posted by Floor Slapper on Mon, Dec 4, 2017, at 11:51 AM
  • Thanks for the info Floor Slapper. I didn’t know that about Neelyville just trying to base my projection mostly off of wins/schedules. JSTT-I think your team belongs in a bigger tournament like Carbondale’s. It seems to suit them and get them prepared better for districts then the BCT would. But it would be fun to watch SL in action.

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Dec 4, 2017, at 2:17 PM
  • This is Dexter’s tournament to lose. They should win the championship game by 10-15 points.

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Mon, Dec 4, 2017, at 6:56 PM
  • I wouldn't count EP out.

-- Posted by BLEEDRED79 on Tue, Dec 5, 2017, at 9:29 AM
  • Personally hoping for a Bernie vs Dexter championship game. I love seeing two rivals go at it with everything on the line

-- Posted by for 3...BANG! on Tue, Dec 5, 2017, at 11:36 AM
  • After last night seeing Dexter beat Charleston pretty easy to see who will be the #1 seed and the favorite. Bernie is solid as is Malden, EP beat New Madrid by 30 last week and New Madrid beat Kennet last night. Havnt seen much of Hayti yet. Always an exciting tournament

-- Posted by BaseballFan4 on Tue, Dec 5, 2017, at 4:59 PM
  • Don't count out East Prairie..I was impressed with them.

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 7:15 AM
  • Hayti is solid. Well coached, and athletic. I believe there are some really good teams in the tournament this year and will have some great match ups as the tournament progresses.

-- Posted by for 3...BANG! on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 8:08 AM
  • Does anyone know why Portageville dropped out of the BCT?

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 1:19 PM
  • I see where Portageville is playing in the clarkton tournament that runs thru December 15th.

-- Posted by But on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 2:51 PM
  • Dexter's victory over Charleston was "hardly easy!"

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 6:49 PM
  • Portagevulle played in both the Clarkton and Bloomfield Christmas tournaments last year . I'd assume they will do the same this year.

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 7:19 PM
  • Portageville will be in the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament this year. If they play together, as they are capable, they could surprise a lot of folks.

-- Posted by Black Knight on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 9:00 PM
  • Semo7178, I think baseballfan4 meant it’s easy to see who is the favorite after Dexters victory over Charleston.

-- Posted by semolian on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 9:16 PM

Proper punctuation can straighten out the meaning of that sentence....lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 10:22 PM
  • semolian, I can see where you could be correct about what BaseballFan4 meant.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 10:39 AM
  • Is the seed meeting tomorrow?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 10:16 PM

Doniphan will be tough. I can see them, Dexter, or Hayti winning it.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 11:12 PM
  • 1 Dexter

2 Hayti

3 Bernie

4 Kennett

5 Malden

6 Doniphan

7 East Prairie

8 ?????

Just my predictions. Think Dexter is gotta be the favorite to win it but I see Bernie matching up against them well and could give them a game .

Just my predictions

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 7:30 AM
  • How is East Prairie the 7??? They just beat another team by 90+ points. Doesn’t that show how dominant they are? Gotta be a 1 or 2 seed after that kind of performance!

-- Posted by El Capitan on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 10:30 AM
  • I honestly think Kennet is not a 4. EP throttled New Madrid by 30 and New Madrid beat Kennet by 20 the next week so I can’t see them being a 4. It’s Dexter then I think it’s about anybody’s guess and wide open from the #2 on.

-- Posted by BaseballFan4 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 11:12 AM
  • Chaffee beat EP.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 11:22 AM
  • East Prairie beat North Pem by 90 but then again so did Delta C7 . East Prairie does have a good team. It wouldn't surprise me if any of the above mentioned teams won this tournament.

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 11:26 AM
  • Going to be an interesting tournament. East Prairie and Puxico can score a lot of points. Doniphan's Barton just hit 51 in a game. Can be fun to watch if one of these teams gets hot. Probably Dexter's tournament to lose, but they won't be prohibitive favorites. Kennett is probably a six seed. Always a great four days of basketball.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 12:00 PM
  • With all due respect, Puxico is 2-4 and has lost to Van Buren and Naylor. I don’t want to hear anything about them in regards to being a potential threat in this tourney. Not hating by any means, just saying they haven’t showed me anything this year. Will probably be an 11 seed and maybe even “two and out” for the tourney if they don’t get it together.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 1:04 PM
  • Never said Puxico was a potential threat in the tourney. Said they scored a lot of points and would be entertaining. Look them to play at least three games.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 1:44 PM
  • Malden has the most talented team they have had in several years and a lot of the boys are just starting to get out of football and in to basketball shape.i think Malden,Bernie Hayti are 234 in any order.

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 3:38 PM
  • Anybody know when the seed meeting takes place?

-- Posted by BaseballFan4 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 4:25 PM
  • I don’t see a clear favorite. In fact, I could see any of the following teams win the tournament.

Hayti

Bernie

Doniphan

Dexter

East Prairie

Malden

Portageville

-- Posted by okachaw on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 5:14 PM
  • Chaffee did beat Ep. But Chaffee is a solid team at 5-1 and has been whooping a lot of teams. Ep has some quality wins and should be in top tier of this tournament. Teams like Bloomfield and puxico don’t have the quality wins ep does.

I know south Pemiscot is undefeated but they beat nmcc by one and ep throttled nmcc.

Plus Bloomfield barely beat Gideon and Gideon is struggling.

-- Posted by bootheelball on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 10:00 PM
  • And no way Kennett is over Ep. Nmcc killed Kennett and ep killed nmcc.

Ep should be no lower than 5 seed

-- Posted by bootheelball on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 10:02 PM
  • I know Neelyville had a good Bernie tournament and beat some teams that are in this Christmas tournament but they only beat Clarkton by a hand full and Clarkton is awful.

It is going to be interesting to see where everyone ends up.

-- Posted by basketball365 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 10:14 PM
  • Scores indicate East Prairie is for real. Doniphan lost to Hayti and Caruthersville at the Gideon tournament but still were in it down to the final seconds. Should be one of the most competitive BCT's ever.

-- Posted by doniphandon on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 11:11 PM

You can't compare scores against common opponent's. It's all about matchups. Some teams matchup better against some than others. Let's see what EP does when they play a good team. Quality of opponents is taken in consideration when seeding I'm sure. I'm that case, Dexter should have the 1 seed locked down. Prolly played one of the toughest schedules in SEMO up to this point. I think personally it will be Hayti, Dexter, or Doniphan who wins it but as we all know, anything can happen.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Dec 10, 2017, at 12:28 AM
  • EP has already played 3 good teams? Beat NMCC and P-ville by 20. And Chaffee is a good 5-1 team and has some potential this year.

-- Posted by lavar123 on Mon, Dec 11, 2017, at 9:44 AM
  • This could very easily be one of those years where the seeds don't hold up. Dexter is going to be the most battle tested, by far and would be a safe prediction to make the final four. After that, there is not any team seeded 2-5 that you could say is a safe prediction. Hayti, Doniphan, Bernie, East Prairie, Malden and Portageville are a wash.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Dec 11, 2017, at 10:08 AM

I watched the Portageville/Gideon game on YHCTV. I take that back. Pville is a very athletic team. I think if they can improve just a little, they'll be a handful for anyone.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Dec 11, 2017, at 11:30 AM
  • Of course you can compare teams against common opponents. That’s common sense. It’s not an exact science but it will hold true more so than matchups.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Mon, Dec 11, 2017, at 2:16 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: