Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Great Job Bootheel

Posted by mizzoufan6 on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 9:28 PM:

first of congradulations to Notre Dame for a great season i know they lost to Webb City. evryone is representing the bootheel greatly. i was at the Scc game scouts there looking at hatchett an porter. talk came about sikeston replacing holifield after his son graduates. after the back to back losses to borgia with the same defense. jus a??????? i enjoyed watchin all the local teams...thanks

Replies (4)

• You can forget the talk about replacing Holifield. That ain't gonna happen until he wants it to. Besides, look at his record over the past five years. Most schools would be proud of that record. And look at who he has lost to:

2010 Borgia (2nd in state), quarterfinals

2009 Borgia (state champions), quarterfinals

2008 Notre Dame (state champions), district championship

2007 Notre Dame (2nd in state),district championship

2006 Borgia (state champions, Sikeston 2nd), finals at state

His defense was not the same this year. In the past he rarely tried to use a press and he did so all this year. Also, he did experiment with a man to man at the end of the year. His defense is perfect for Southeast Missouri, but not so good when the game is different up North. Hopefully, he can make some adjustments but it is hard to put a square peg in a round hole. For the next five years he has an incredible pool of talent to work with. What has to happen is that the coaches of the younger teams and him need to get together and start teaching different defensive and offensive schemes. It is ridiculous to keep running a fast break when you are up by 30 points. They need to practice offensive strategies for the half court offense and different defensive strategies than the match up zone.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Sun, Mar 14, 2010, at 12:05 AM
  • He also has a step-son that plays and will be a Junior next year. I think he will be around for a few more years. Hopefully longer!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sun, Mar 14, 2010, at 10:44 AM
  • Hollifield has one major problem as a coach, and that is he has always been a bit reluctant to deviate from his game plan, not saying they arent good because his district championship gameplan was great this year.

PS: Kevin Roberts at ND has the same problem

-- Posted by semo2014 on Sun, Mar 14, 2010, at 11:35 AM
  • I am not a big fan of Hollifields by no means, but him, his coaching staff and the coaches for the JV and 9th through 7th grade teams have done a pretty good job of getting players ready to play. Sikeston has had some state champion type teams but between ND and Borgia they've fell short the last couple of years. I agree with you bball2010 Hollifield seems to be reluctant to change his game plan somtimes but it did look like he was working on that this year. So hopefully in the next season or two I will completely change my mind on him.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sun, Mar 14, 2010, at 1:48 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: