Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Girls basketball

Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Oct 30, 2017, at 7:22 PM:

Hope I don't get booed off, SEMOBALL needs a girls basketball forum, too. I would like to see a girls Top 10 for debate, as well. Appreciate any thoughts on the best area teams. I saw the Cauble girl from Oran over the summer. She's a scoring machine.

Early word in Mineral Area Conference is many teams on the up cycle with talent. Farmington, North County, Park Hills, and Arcadia Valley all will field decent teams.

Replies (92)

• I think Dexter is still the Team to beat in semo.

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Mon, Oct 30, 2017, at 9:51 PM
  • I'm with you Bogey! Jackson should be strong again this year!!

Coach Abernathy is doing a great job with his program!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Oct 30, 2017, at 10:02 PM
  • Is the girl at New Madrid that is supposed to be so talented still there and is she in high school yet? Fill me in Buck!

-- Posted by indian73 on Mon, Oct 30, 2017, at 11:59 PM
  • Also curious about New Madrid. I think I remember someone posting last year that their 8th grade team was undefeated and very talented. Park Hills have another good freshmen class that went undefeated in middle school.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Oct 31, 2017, at 8:56 AM
  • I think we need a girls basketball page as well.

-- Posted by semobuckets91 on Mon, Nov 6, 2017, at 12:57 PM

Yes NMCC girls basketball should be very good. I believe this year's freshman class completed both the 7th grade and 8th grade seasons undefeated. (don't quote me on 7th grade). Byrd played for the St. Louis Eagles who won the Atlanta Summer Slam Championship. She's recieved scholarship offers from likes of Indiana and Mississippi St. already. Now since they are freshman you might not see a deep run this year, but I think NMCC girl's basketball should be competing and winning district championships soon.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 6, 2017, at 1:15 PM
  • Maybe not this yr but the following 3 yrs SG's Girls have a shot at winning a dist title! Their Freshman class is loaded with Talent

-- Posted by Bleed Green OG on Mon, Nov 6, 2017, at 3:12 PM
  • That's good to hear bleed. Being from the festus area, I need good girls basketball to follow. Don't get me wrong we've had average teams but nothing to brag over in recent years

-- Posted by Observer24 on Mon, Nov 6, 2017, at 4:12 PM
  • South Iron in class one. They have a great group of girls.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Tue, Nov 7, 2017, at 10:00 AM
  • I believe all 3 of our girls final four teams have almost everyone back.

Class 4 Dexter

Class 2 Oran

Class 1 South Iron

-- Posted by Sports guy on Tue, Nov 7, 2017, at 10:56 AM
  • Has the Cauble girl committed anywhere yet? Could she be a possible MU homegrown recruit?

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Wed, Nov 8, 2017, at 9:40 AM
  • I believe she is only a junior.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Nov 8, 2017, at 10:03 AM
  • Class 5 - Bluff has a couple of really good underclassmen back and will be improved. Jackson will continue to be good but they lost a lot to graduation. Good post player at Jackson.

Class 4 - Dexter will be without Garrison until end of January but has a good group back. Should win the district if they play up to potential and stay healthy. But Sikeston has a good player that transferred from Malden I hear.

Class 3 - Don't count out Saxony Lutheran. Lots of good kids coming back. Park Hills will be strong as always.

Class 2 - Oran will be very strong as we all know. But don't count out Neelyville. Two VERY talented kids coming back.

Class 1 - Don't know much about South Iron. Never count Naylor out however I am not sure if they may be up in Class 2 now.

I'd love to see a top 10.

-- Posted by bearcatsports on Wed, Nov 8, 2017, at 10:13 AM

Naylor is class 2.

The Neelyville/Oran quarterfinal game last year was a slugfest. I think both teams have a lot of talent returning.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, Nov 8, 2017, at 11:19 AM
  • Anything but a trip to the final four for Neelyville would be a failure. We added a starter from Poplar Bluff to a loaded lineup

-- Posted by LeBum on Wed, Nov 8, 2017, at 6:07 PM
  • SEMO Conference tournament seeds are out

1 Saxony

2 Dexter

3 Jackson

4 Notre Dame

5 Poplar Bluff

6 Cape Central

7 Sikeston

8 Kennett

Tournament is November 27, 28 and 30 at Saxony

-- Posted by bearcatsports on Wed, Nov 8, 2017, at 9:17 PM
  • LeBum who did you add? You didn’t need much to be VERY good.

-- Posted by bearcatsports on Wed, Nov 8, 2017, at 9:18 PM
  • The Dodd girl that was at P.B. is now at Neelyville. I'm told she went to school at Neelyville in her younger days.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Wed, Nov 8, 2017, at 9:54 PM
  • If she was at bluff and she's in high school and transferred won't she have to sit a year out? Ive heard of some other kids having to do that. Is it a state thing or depend on the schools involved? What grade she in or does that make a difference?

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Thu, Nov 9, 2017, at 12:19 AM
  • Not if her family moved into the Neelyville district.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Thu, Nov 9, 2017, at 3:20 AM
  • Neeleyville's district is very tough from top to bottom. Their district has Naylor, Alton, Van Buren, Thayer and I can't remember who else. I heard Thayer played them really close last year in the championship game.

-- Posted by SemoBBMan on Thu, Nov 9, 2017, at 6:35 AM
  • I agree that there is a need for a girls bb page.

MAAA Girls predictions:

Small

AV--needs to be beaten to drop off top--talented and a new coach

West County-good young kids coming up

Valley--lots coming back?

Bismarck-do they have enough kids for a team?

Valle-Good player, but is that enough?

Kingston-??

Large

Farmington-won last year--can the guards get the ball to the big kids/can bigs run with the guards?

Central-lots coming back-should be pretty good--Size matters?

NC-How much will Forbes be missed? She did so much for them?

Fred-Francis is back--can they get guard play?

SG-Good young 9th grade class--Can Reed carry them?

Potosi-new/old coach will lose his hair with this team.

Make your predictions/comments.

-- Posted by bbfab on Thu, Nov 9, 2017, at 1:55 PM
  • Looks like 2 or 3 really good girls games tonight and over holiday break,some top ranked state teams gna be going at it,should be fun to watch and see how everyone is stacking up. Who wins tonight jackson or notre dame? Poplar Bluff or oran? Couple of smaller schools taking on the larger schools.

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Mon, Dec 18, 2017, at 10:56 AM
  • Also will get to see how the nmcc team with all ther freshman talent look against some above 500 teams as they play in that tournament. Kneeleyville will get a chance to go at dexter i hope that should make for a slugfest

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Mon, Dec 18, 2017, at 11:05 AM
  • Dexter is the best team I have seen. Jackson kept Mosby at bay a few weeks ago, but their other girls lit it up beyond the arc.

Saxony is right behind Dexter, they are a pretty complete team with size, shooters and athleticism, I'd be surprised if they aren't in the final 4 for their class.

Jackson was right with them until Alexis went down. Now they are struggling to find an identity on Offense, but their outstanding defense will keep them in games.

Notre Dame has underperformed each time I have seen them this year, including their gutsy win last night. I don't understand why they don't get more 3 point looks for their shooters.

Cape has a decent duo in the Reece girls, but no depth and I think their coach makes adjustments too late.

Just the opinions of a Long time fan, not a bball expert.

-- Posted by insidescoop on Tue, Dec 19, 2017, at 7:34 AM
  • The Byrd girl is back at NMCC? I heard she played at nmcc , Then moved and played a season at Nettleton in Jonesboro. And also played on an AAU team there? I wonder what happened Nettleton has a heck of a girls program.

-- Posted by StraightCotton on Tue, Dec 19, 2017, at 9:10 AM

Yes Byrd plays for NMCC, as well as several other freshman. Very young team, but lots of potential.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 19, 2017, at 10:26 AM
  • Looks like another great championship game on the way at twin river tournament. Little old kneeleyville against the big school of dexter. They both are really good but I've gotta pull for the little school to win. Win or lose i will have to say they're gna be state bound, really impressive to watch.

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 11:33 PM
  • Chaffee has developed a really nice team. They are turning some heads in the area.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 7:32 PM
  • Chaffee was already good last year.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 7:50 PM
  • I watched the Bess girl play and was very impressed. Is she getting any college looks?

-- Posted by LeBum on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 8:13 PM
  • Who does the Bess girl play for? I thought she was from Poplar Bluff (Gene Bess).

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 8:26 PM
  • I jinxed Chaffee tonight. Sorry.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 9:04 PM
  • Yes from the bluff and a VERY good player all around. Definitely plays the game differently than some of the more talked about point scorers. Just my opinion here but scoring alot of points doesn't make a player great especially if they are taking alot more shots than their team or getting them points off easy transitions, to me a great player is good at every aspect of the game and has a great competitive but sportmanship attitude towards all top to bottom. Again just my opinion but seeing and reading up on some of the areas best female basketball players i would definitely put her at the top.

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 9:18 PM
  • That's a great point Gr8sports!

-- Posted by Soloflex on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 10:23 PM
  • Charleston has 2 scorers that really put up some points look out for senior Conner Watkins and sophomore Ashanti Jones

-- Posted by HoopSwag on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 1:18 AM
  • Sportsmanship among the players is pretty common. Kids will usually rise up to the expectation that is placed before them. Although it can be tougher in today's world with mommy and daddy sitting up in the stands second guessing every move and even threatening to move elsewhere if their expert analysis isn't dignified. If a coach can get kids to buy in they are doing great work.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 11:57 AM
  • Good post Oz. So true.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 12:36 PM
  • Hopefully theirs Steelville folks on here because your team played great. Great underdogs who should of won tonight. 30+ plus fouls called is ridiculous. Refs were very quick with that whistle. Take the refs out and easily one of the best girls game I've seen. What happened to the girls tournament in park hills? I don't remember it being that small

-- Posted by Observer24 on Sat, Dec 30, 2017, at 10:34 PM
  • Kiley Bess has visited SLU and Missouri State, that I know of.

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Sun, Dec 31, 2017, at 6:41 PM
  • Tylei Byrd (NMCC 2021) has "offers" from Mississippi State University, Indiana University and Southeast Missouri State with interest from several other Division 1 Colleges!

-- Posted by Soloflex on Sun, Dec 31, 2017, at 8:11 PM
  • Observer the PH Tourney has been 16 boys teams and 8 girls teams as long as I can remember. Probably not enough hours in a day get more games in than they do already.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Sun, Dec 31, 2017, at 9:36 PM
  • Soloflex. What is an "offer"? Just curious. That seems to be alot of offers for a freshman.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 1:00 AM
  • Proud parent. No problem here.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 2:58 AM
  • Great question Vanduser2000! About 4% of high school girls basketball players go on to play at the Collegiate level! An "offer" is a tool used during the recruiting process to express serious interest in offering a scholarship to a prospective student-athlete! It allows student-athletes to have an understanding on what school and level they could potentially play for, however no offer is concrete until that student-athlete passes the NCAA clearinghouse and sign with that particular school which can't be done until his or her Junior year! There is a lot that goes into the recruiting process that I am still learning but it doesn't take long to see how much hard work these student-athletes have to put in on the court and in the classroom!

-- Posted by Soloflex on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 9:45 AM
  • Anybody know how Saxony girls are allowed in the SEMO Conference but the guys aren’t? Just curious as to how that works.

-- Posted by SEMONole on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 10:01 AM
  • SEMO Conf. Bylaw 3-2:

When a school is ranked as having a Top 5 recruiting class in the state, the said school will not be allowed in the conference. This pertains to both boys and girls teams.

-- Posted by Triple on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 11:08 AM
  • Thanks solo. Appreciate the info.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 5:52 PM
  • They have to schedule all the teams in the conference. At least I would assume that.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 8:00 PM
  • Girls were basically playing everyone already. There were only 7 teams in girls Conference (no Charleston or New Madrid in Conference for girls) 8 teams made sense for tournament etc. Saxony boys don’t play a number of the SEMO boys teams.

-- Posted by bearcatsports on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 8:13 PM
  • That would be the fault of the SEMO teams dropping Saxony

-- Posted by SEMONole on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 8:47 PM
  • Good move to drop Saxony. They Recruit to beat small schools and nothing to gain for large schools playing them.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 9:07 PM
  • Dexter girls are in the SEMO conference too but their boys got out of it several years ago.

Also the signing date is November 1st of a player's senior year. There used to be an early signing period for a week in November for 4 years schools, if they didn't sign the player then they had to wait til April of the next year. Now Juco's, and I guess all colleges, can sign players as of the 1st of November their senior year. I know that's for basketball and softball, I assume it's every sport now. D-1's can offer a player anytime, Jucos can't give a player an official offer until their junior year is over.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 9:30 PM
  • Just saw a bracket for the little new years tournament at delta, i see saxony is in it again. Most definitely will walk thru to the championship but can st Vincent or oran compete or stop them?

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Mon, Jan 1, 2018, at 10:19 PM
  • Oran can give them a run. I don't think st Vincent can.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 2:00 AM

Oran is down a starter, so it will be tough. But Oran did win it last year.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 8:43 AM
  • Which starter is out for oran larry?

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 8:57 AM

Payne.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 10:35 AM
  • Saw saxony play they are very tough this year, is she out for the season and if not do you kno of an estimated return. Was she already out in chaffee tournament? Saw where chaffee took them to the wire and if i remember right oran handled chaffee fairly easy last year. Hate to hear that,small schools definitely seem to struggle with depth

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 4:22 PM

Should be back within the next couple of weeks from what I understand. She did not play in the championship game against Chaffee nor in the two-point loss at Poplar Bluff.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 4:28 PM
  • All teams will definitely want to be ready for the end of the year if possible, looking forward to seeing the southeast girls prevail again in there state hunts. Last year was a really great 1 hopefully can repeat

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 5:01 PM
  • From what I hear Saxony plays at Oran sometime in the next few weeks. Saxony is adding the Smith girl and Oran might be 100% healthy. I’ve watched the Smith girl play ball, she’s a very talented player to add to Saxony who already has proven to be a very balanced team. In the Delta New Years championship, Saxony seemed to shake off Oran early. The question is will they be able to do it on Oran’s home court?

-- Posted by Basketball877 on Fri, Jan 5, 2018, at 10:03 PM
  • Basketball87! Is this young lady Stan Smith's daughter? He was a heck of a player back in the day!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Jan 5, 2018, at 10:29 PM
  • My query about Oran is if they possess a second scorer

-- Posted by Idiosyncratic Logophile on Fri, Jan 5, 2018, at 10:34 PM
  • Yes I agree with the previous comment. The Cauble girl seems to shoot every time down the court. Don’t get me wrong, she’s a good player, but on Saxony’s/Dexter’s team I feel like she would be average.

-- Posted by Basketball877 on Fri, Jan 5, 2018, at 10:57 PM
  • IndianPride I don’t believe so. She’s from Delta, she has two older sisters who were all-state and played ball in college I believe.

-- Posted by Basketball877 on Fri, Jan 5, 2018, at 11:00 PM
  • From what i have understood from other posts and people at other games the girl oran has out is a very big part of there game, she can not only score but is a HUGE part of their defense, looking back to last years play shes definitely makes a difference in them but the fire power saxony shows may be more than they'll be able to handle. 1 thing ive heard continously about oran and kneeleyville is they come to play n play hard from start to finish. When exactly do saxony and oran play again? Thats turning into a huge rival contest i believe.

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Fri, Jan 5, 2018, at 11:14 PM
  • 3Rfan, Dexter did drop out for a few years but I believe they have been back in now for a while. Made it to a semi-final game this year.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 12:23 PM
  • Saxony probably won't have any problem winning at Oran.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Jan 7, 2018, at 11:36 AM
  • court observer you are correct, I haven't been to the conference tourney for a few years and forgot about seeing their scores there this year.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Sun, Jan 7, 2018, at 9:31 PM
  • i believe Saxony plays at Oran the 15th of this month.

-- Posted by Basketball877 on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:29 AM
  • Thanks for the info basketball87, 3Rfan it may be a little different story this go around, orans other starter may be back and being on thr home floor might be enough to get within striking distance

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:52 AM

Saxony “should” win against Oran with everyone returning and bringing up the Smith girl from JV. They let Oran beat them once in the Delta Tournament, but in the second matchup later that season, walked away with a 30+ plus victory. Don’t know if Oran lost anyone really and all of Saxony has returned! Just a matter of stopping Cauble.

Dexter for sure is number #1 and will remain a powerhouse. The younger Mosby girl is still there and is quite the player! Looking forward to making it out to some of their games!

-- Posted by TheSpectator on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 12:09 PM
  • Gr8sports I made no mention of the Saxony-Oran game but it should be closer with the other starter back. I was told when Oran played at P.B. that she was their second leading scorer and best defender. She would likely have a made a difference in the outcome of that game but their big kid had a great game that night so who knows. I'll have to see if I can make it to next round of Saxony-Oran.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 4:05 PM
  • I hav seen saxony 2x this year but haven't seen oran just whats been written and hearsay at other games, but are definitely going to do my best to get dwn ther and see the next meeting, after all last year's top girls teams playing each other and the levels of intensity they bring every night I'm going to make it a point to watch as many as I can b4 they all make their state runs. Hopefully southeast missouri has some boys and girls teams that make it to the final 4.

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 4:50 PM
  • What district is Saxony in?

-- Posted by Michael Corleone on Tue, Jan 9, 2018, at 2:09 PM
  • Class 3 District 2

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Jan 9, 2018, at 4:12 PM
  • That district goes from Arcadia Vally to Saxony to Doniphan. Probably no real threat to them in district, they handled Twin Rivers pretty well in November.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Tue, Jan 9, 2018, at 4:19 PM
  • Does kneeleyville play saxony? If so anyone know when? Is there anyone else in the area to stop the new kneeleyville team?

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 10:00 PM
  • Neelyvile plays Saxony January 22nd at Saxony.

-- Posted by Wildcat11 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 4:25 AM
  • NEELYVILLE!!!

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 2:41 PM
  • Are we finally going to talk about Poplar Bluff sophomore Kiley Bess. Said all year long that she's the best player in the area.

-- Posted by LeBum on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 9:36 PM
  • Big game tonight to set the P.B. single game scoring record with 50 points, and she did it when they apparently needed all of em to win to in OT at Sikeston.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 9:49 PM

Brian’s daughter?

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 10:14 PM
  • yes sir

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 10:23 PM
  • That is awesome! Hopefully MU coach is watching her. Keep these great talents in state. Great job Kiley!

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 11:54 AM
  • Thayer had 2 girls better than the Bess girl last night. Bess is very good, but Thayer beat them 25+ and played their JV almost all of the 4th quarter. Them and Neelyville will be a battle in the district.

-- Posted by pathos on Tue, Jan 23, 2018, at 8:56 AM
  • What is Neelyville class 2?

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Jan 23, 2018, at 9:03 AM

Yes

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Tue, Jan 23, 2018, at 12:04 PM
  • Could lead to an interesting sectional and quarter final that is if Oran can pull it togther. Which I think they might be they have scoring alot of points lately. I'm not sure where they will meet either one those teams just a thought.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Jan 23, 2018, at 2:18 PM

Last year they played in the quarter at 3R, it was a barn-burner! We were very fortunate to come away with the win.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Tue, Jan 23, 2018, at 3:19 PM
  • Saw the score of chaffee game last night and oran what happened to Chaffee i had to dbl chk that score. The previous game played looked close? Chaffee missing alota players? I also watched neeleyville and saxony, saxony was missing probably ther top player but neeleyville is definitely good, going to make for an exciting 2nd half of season watching all these teams fine tune for the big show

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Tue, Jan 23, 2018, at 5:02 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: