Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Bernie VS Hayti what are your thoughts on this one!

Posted by mulesfan77 on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 9:58 PM:

All I can say is i think this is Bernies year :) just hate that I will miss the game on the 18th ;) hope dramules will be there with live updates :)

Replies (57)

• Didn't hayti lose to Bernie earlier this year?

-- Posted by sawdust49 on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 10:02 PM
  • Yes by about 30 but I just don"t want the same thing to happen like last year againnst. P"ville lol

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 10:06 PM
  • Anything's possible as we alll know, but I don't see it. I think if Bernie keeps their heads together, they will win by 20 plus.

-- Posted by sawdust49 on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 10:15 PM
  • Agreed!!!

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 10:30 PM
  • The other half of the state playoff bracket was the one that was loaded with more ranked teams. Only one other ranked team in the bracket with the Mules, so the main part of the competition will eliminate each other before getting to Columbia, if the Mules can get past Hayti. If they continue to play the way they did tonight, it should be a great game and punching their ticket to the Mizzou Arena in the final 4. I covered Mules basketball for KMAL in Malden back in '88 when they took second in state. This team has alot of heart, comparable to that team. It should be a great ride, can't wait to see how it comes out!! Unlike back in '88, I will be following the Mules this year if they get the opportunity to go for it all. This time of the year, each game could very well be your last because teams step up to the plate and are ready to play when they take the court. Hayti Bernie at Poplar Bluff will be a memorable game I think!

-- Posted by early80smule on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 11:33 PM
  • early80smule

I think I know you very well.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 12:10 AM
  • You may very well. I graduated from Bernie in 1984, having played basketball under Morris Karnes and Jim Davis. I was on the air at Malden from 1987-90 and then the news director at KDEX back in 2003. So I have been a bit of a mainstay in broadcast here off and on for some time. We were in the same gymnasium tonight, as I have been at several ball games this year.

-- Posted by early80smule on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 12:21 AM
  • Bernie by 800 points.

-- Posted by Pwilcox on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 9:07 AM
  • I'm ready to watch this game! Could be dangerous for the mules though.

-- Posted by Mulesfan on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 1:03 PM
  • Pwilcox-

I have to agree w/ you about and the 800 pt spread. The only problem is that this will be closer than SCC vs Risco. Not a good game unless you go to Farmington.

-- Posted by Hoss Jones on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 1:23 PM
  • I would say Bernie isn't going into this one expecting an easy time. I think they are preparing for a hard fought game and I would expect Hayti to be better prepared than they were last time. Now, the Mules are playing extremely good ball right now and I expect them to punch their ticket to Columbia, but not going to step out on that limb about a point spread. I will guarantee that it will be fun to watch though!!

-- Posted by early80smule on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 6:03 PM
  • I think Bernie thinks it will be an easy game. Coaches are the only people who thinks games won't be easy. Those Bernie kids, after beating Hayti once already by 30 and then holding Van Buren practically scoreless, assume Hayti will be a walk in the park. The only thing Hayti does better than Bernie is rebound. They can't shoot free throws, they aren't a great shooting team, and they are very turnover prone. Bernie rebounds well enough, shoots the ball tremendously, is great from the line, takes a lot of charges, plays great defense.

Try explaining to a 16 year old kid not to overlook a team they beat by 30 two weeks ago. Doesn't matter what you say, what crazy speech you give, they will take the game lightly. Bernie will jump around like lunatics, stomp their feet like they are doing something...just to show they are pumped up and excited. But the fact is, they expect to win this game easily. The only way Hayti has a chance of winning this game is if they hit over 10 three pointers, which won't happen. And no, Hayti won't be better prepared. Prepared for what? Not letting Bernie get open three pointers? Okay...take away all the three pointers, and let Jake Smith foul everybody out inside. Good one.

-- Posted by Pwilcox on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 6:17 PM
  • Well, as I said before, it is a dangerous game for the Mules. But with their talent and experience, I say pack your bags Bernie fans, it's going to be an awesome ride to Columbia.

-- Posted by Mulesfan on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 8:26 PM
  • GOOOO BERNIEEEE!!!!

-- Posted by mhsbball on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 8:27 PM
  • I really don't know what will happen in this game. I didn't watch the first Bernie / Hayti game. However, I was shocked Bernie won the first game by 39 points. I think Hayti is capable of playing Bernie much closer. Hayti nearly defeated Bloomfield earlier this year and Bloomfield has a win against Bernie this season. It just doesn't get any easier for the Mules on Saturday.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 8:31 PM
  • I almost made this into a whole different thread... But I think Bernie and Meadow Heights are becoming a little more than friends, if you know what I mean ;) Who saw the shirts the Bernie boys made for the sectionals?

-- Posted by Mulesfan on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 8:39 PM
  • Bernie boys and Meadow Heights girls both played at sectionals in Park Hills AND in quarter-finals at West Plains last year. I think they opposed the same school at districts. So these kids already had a "relationship" and many remember each other from last year. I think it's really cool that we can support another team from OUR DISTRICT that is state-bound also. Wouldn't it be great if the adults could take pointers from the kids??

-- Posted by early80smule on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 10:27 PM
  • LOL AMAN!!!!! EARLY80SMULE ......I think it is awsome to see the KIDS from both schools are doing. I don't think i have ever seen 2 Schools so far apart or at anytime do this that i can remember, but these two teams have been going on the same Journey 2 years in a row and some how created a bond that will be always be remembered .....i know there was a VIDEO that someone from the school made last year from bernie that has a few pics of the MH students cheering ....... All i can say is GO MEADOW HEIGHTS and BERNIE MULES maybe we both will take the JOURNEY to the FINAL FOUR together :) or even to that #1 state championship :)

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 10:35 PM
  • I think Meadow Heights deserves the credit. MH was supporting Bernie in the District last year and it became so obvious that the Bernie boys wanted to show some thanks.

Then, when both teams advanced, it became a great thing to pull for each other. Both teams had a great run last year and both teams hope to go further this year. Here's hoping both make it past this next step. Those shirts need to live a little longer. GO MH girls!!

Make the shirts last!!

-- Posted by troll on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 10:36 PM
  • :) I think some REPORTER needs to do a little article on the kids pulling together like they have for the last 2 years. It might actually show PARENTS and other schools how 2 teams can come together and cheer and support one another :) It would be something nice to read in the paper

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 10:39 PM
  • REPORTER = drawmules???

I think this would be "sports journalism" at it's finest!!!

-- Posted by early80smule on Thu, Mar 11, 2010, at 11:46 PM
  • Sorry guys. I am trying to finish two large feature articles I have to submit to a college in Texas before Sunday. I've been working on a midterm essay for the last four hours. Tomorrow I have to interview four people for one of the feature articles. Right now I'm just trying to find enough time to attend the basketball games. I won't disagree an article or even a book about this year's basketball team would make a great story. But right now I don't have extra writing time. I also have a really bad headache from staring at my computer for the last four hours. Goodnight and good luck on Saturday Bernie.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Mar 12, 2010, at 12:53 AM
  • It's all good drawmules, I am networking some old contacts from my broadcast days to try to get this situation some media coverage. We will see if anyone gets interested or not. I'm shooting at tv and print coverage, hopefully it will draw some attention this weekend. It's funny that after I had booked my hotel room in Columbia you posted that you was staying at the same hotel as we are!! LOL!

-- Posted by early80smule on Fri, Mar 12, 2010, at 5:42 AM
  • Bernie by 25. Go Jake Owens and the Bernie Mules.

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Fri, Mar 12, 2010, at 7:15 AM
  • early80smule

I looked at 17 motels in Columbia and in the end this was the most attractive I could find for the price. The breakfast is suppose to be very good.

I'm sure there will be media coverage this weekend early80smule. The Daily American Republic in Poplar Bluff does a great job covering Bernie.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Mar 12, 2010, at 10:38 AM
  • Once again Bernie will be the favorite, not as big this time as the Van Buren game. Most of us that follow basketball around the Southeast knew that game was a total mismatch. Regardless of the 1st matchup, Hayti will try to slow it down some and will keep it somewhat close because of their athleticism . Bernie will force the pace causing the Indians to make more offensive decisions/turnovers on offense which will ultimately decide the outocme.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Fri, Mar 12, 2010, at 11:42 AM
  • mac baseball

In my opinion, Bernie has a great chance to win this game. The game of week is probably Kennett vs. Cardinal Ritter Saturday night. I am going to watch both games. I'm not convinced the Bernie / Hayti game or the Kennett / Cardinal Ritter game will be close. But I think Kennett has a better chance against Cardinal Ritter than Hayti has against Bernie. I also think Hayti has a better chance against Bernie than Risco has against Scott Central. But I like Bernie, Scott County Central and Cardinal Ritter's chances on Saturday. I think it would be hard to proclaim any of these games will be thrillers. But you never know in March.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Mar 12, 2010, at 9:01 PM
  • It's on tonight!! I will no be able to make tonights game if I want to go to state. I wish the Bernie Mules the best and hope for a big win. If I go tonight then I will have to miss state for work. So I booked 3 nights in Columbia with the confidence that I will need next weekend off for the final four!! Go Bernie!! This will be my first missed post season game but I think it will be worth it for state!!! Bernie Mules by at least 20!!!! My wife will be keeping me updated!!!! P.S. Since I can not make it I am sending two people in my place to make sure we have enough fans cheering on the Big Bernie Blue!!!! ;-)

-- Posted by gobigbernieblue on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 6:36 AM
  • Go Bernie! We will be rooting from 250 miles away!

-- Posted by Capt. Mule on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 10:47 AM
  • Sources tell me Bernie center Jake Smith will not play because he is in the hospital with food poisoning.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 12:48 PM
  • Sources now say Smith "has been" in the hospital and it is unlikely he will play.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 1:00 PM

That's got to be a stricking blow! But good luck today bernie!! They can't let that get them down and they have to go play hard!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 1:01 PM
  • Soup is at the game dressing out for the record. I heard he had been sick but feeling better! So I would say that he will not be needed much today but will be on hand just in case!!! Pack your bags Bernie fans we will hopefully be punching our ticket in a few hours!!! I believe we will be ok with or without Soup today! He is a key player and if it were with a stronger low post playing team I think it would be a blow. Hopefully my thoughts will be correct. Go Big Bernie Blue!!!

-- Posted by gobigbernieblue on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 1:45 PM
  • Sorry to hear about the Meadow Heights lose!! :-( Let's hope Bernie can make it a win! It's game time!! Here we go!! Go Big Bernie Blue!

-- Posted by gobigbernieblue on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 2:22 PM
  • 34 To 15 Halftime Baby!!!!!!! Looking Good!!! Go Bernie Mules!!!!

-- Posted by gobigbernieblue on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 3:22 PM
  • Look out Columbia!! Your about to have a lot of Blue in your town!! Great Job Bernie Mules!!!

-- Posted by gobigbernieblue on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 4:16 PM
  • Mules are state bound hope to see them play on Saturday!!!!

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 4:59 PM
  • HEYA does anyone know anything about the ESKRIDGE team that the MULES will be playing thursday and will there be any type of online coverage or anything/

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Sat, Mar 13, 2010, at 11:32 PM
  • If Crader is at Columbia by noon on Thursday I am sure she will provide Cover it Live. If Crader is not at Columbia by noon on Thursday drawmules will provide live updates on the basketball scores thread.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Mar 14, 2010, at 12:44 AM
  • Wellston-Eskridge plays in one of the tougher conferences in the state, so their record is a little bit misleading. They feature Ben McLemore one of the top players in the state (he's very likely going to be in the top 25 nationally by next season). I've heard some say he's every bit as good as Bradley Beal.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Mar 14, 2010, at 4:16 AM
  • Thanks FarmBoy06. I wanted to learn more about this team also.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Mar 14, 2010, at 4:48 AM
  • http://www.maxpreps.com/contests/4UNrUGU1UESlxNnPeG0JMw/basketball-winter-09-10/... yup you are right this kid looks like he is pretty good ...:) just hope he can handle the MULES defense :)

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Sun, Mar 14, 2010, at 1:36 PM
  • I was looking it up on maxpreps, and this kid seems pretty good, but he has NO supporting cast. Against Cardinal Ritter he put up 23 but he only had two teammates score more than 6 that game-Eskridge lost 63-82. They beat Scott City 77-61 where he had 31, but he had only one other teammate score over 9 points. He scored 27 of the 60 points eskridge scored against St. Vincent. Eskridge won 60-50. It sounds to me if bernie can defend him while taking the other boys out of the game they could win this easily. Focus on taking them out of the game, and focus on making him out score ya, because if the stats and hype are true; you won't take HIM out of HIS game.

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 12:05 AM

Good money says that man to man Jake Welch will slow McLemore down.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 3:49 AM
  • TheCamp....I'll take that bet. There is not much that Bernis is going to be able to do to slow down McLemore. He's going to get 30pts and an absurd stat line like he has done all year, BUT that doesn't mean Bernie can't beat Wellston. Best thing for Bernie to do is still try and contain McLemore but clamp down on the rest of the team.

Here is a new video of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIcfVs8SyWU

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 10:51 AM
  • semolian

Who do you think will win this game?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 12:23 PM
  • Count me in on that bet too....

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 12:52 PM
  • FarmBoy06

Who do you think will win this game?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 1:11 PM

Crash, I watched the video. He's pretty darn impressive. I still think a quicker defensive guard will slow down those threes. In the last two games Bernie scored a lot of points on offensive rebounds. If they don't block him out he may put a damper on that part of their game.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 1:14 PM
  • Hard to say draw...I haven't watched a lot of Class 2 ball around the state, but from what I've seen around here, it isn't a terribly strong class. I think Bernie will fare well in Columbia. I don't think stopping McLemore should be their focus, because it isn't happening. Obviously don't just let him walk to the basket and score, but focus more on eliminating his teammates (which sounds like it isn't too hard to do). I like Bernie's chances in the semis. I'm just glad McLemore is at state so I can watch him.

On another note, it looks like Sturgeon will be tough to beat.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 1:39 PM
  • FarmBoy06

I agree with your comments on Class 2.

I was impressed with Sturgeon when I watched them play Scott County Central this summer. Nevertheless, after watching the youtube video of Wellston I cannot say I'm less impressed with Wellston than Sturgeon. I think Clever will take fourth in the state. I'm not going to post my predictions on how the other three teams in Class 2 will finish.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 2:13 PM
  • I haven't seen anyone have any predictions on this game what do u all think? That Kid looks pretty awsome but i think Welch will slow him a little but he looks dang good for sure :) I just hate i am going to miss this game only the 2nd this year i have missed of Bernies..... I think Bernie should come out on top ... by looking a little closer to the other players seems as if Ben is the scoring factor on their team.... THe mules usually have a balanced scoring of the 3 or 4 guys most games.....

PREDICTIONS????????????????????

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 8:10 PM
  • Bernie 62 Eskridge 51

Sturgeon 68 Clever 42

Bernie-56 Sturgeon-64

Based on the same mathematical calculation that predicted Borgia would beat Kearney by 20 points.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Mon, Mar 15, 2010, at 9:01 PM
  • I agree with mules77 I think if the jake welch plays defense against the mclemore kid like he did against garret light in there district finals Bernie will be in the state championship game. go Bernie

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Tue, Mar 16, 2010, at 9:38 PM
  • I'll go out on a limb and say McLemore is going to have at least 25 points no matter what. It's what the other guys do that's going to matter. I don't see anybody slowing this kid down much.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 4:48 AM

No offense to anyone but, Light had 18 against Bernie. If you've seen the highlight reel of McLemeore I think it's pretty obvious that McLemore is just a wee bit quicker. I'm in Farmboy's camp. Of course, anybody can have an off night (see Borgia v. Kearney).

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 7:24 AM
  • I agree FarmBoy06.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Mar 17, 2010, at 11:29 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: