Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: The final hoops poll (the only one that matters)

Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Mar 28, 2017, at 7:08 PM:

2016-17 MBCA Final Boys Basketball Poll (Release 3/27)

Class 1

1 Walnut Grove 30-3

2 Advance 26-7

3 North Andrew 29-2

4 Glasgow 27-4

5 Winston 26-1

6 Hermitage 27-4

7 Greenfield 22-3

8 Scott County Central 23-7

9 Braymer 21-7

10 Jefferson 21-8

Class 2

1 Oran 22-8

2 Crane 20-11

3 Harrisburg 23-9

4 Sacred Heart 26-7

5 Hartville 25-6

6 Thayer 26-4

7 Wellington-Napolean 26-2

8 Salisbury 26-4

9 Greenwood 25-4

10 Marionville 25-4

Class 3

1 Northwest Academy 21-10

2 Whitfield 22-10

3 Hogan Prep 24-8

4 Mountain Grove 28-4

5 Cardinal Ritter 21-7

6 Southern Boone 25-4

7 Charleston 24-6

8 Fair Grove 21-5

9 Lamar 22-5

10 Saxony Lutheran 26-4

Class 4

1 Vashon 27-3

2 Bolivar 27-5

3 Kearney 22-8

4 Parkway Central 23-10

5 St. Mary's 25-4

6 Sikeston 24-5

7 Jennings 24-5

8 Helias 20-8

9 Hillsboro 25-4

10 Center 19-6

Class 5

1 Webster Groves 29-2

2 Lee's Summit West 26-3

3 Kickapoo 26-5

4 Chaminade 24-7

5 Rock Bridge 22-5

6 SLUH 21-7

7 Liberty 20-9

8 Nixa 25-4

9 CBC 20-10

10 Republic 22-6

2016-17 MBCA Final Girls Basketball Poll (Release 3/27)

Class 1

1 North Mercer 31-1

2 Walnut Grove 28-5

3 South Iron 24-6

4 Prairie Home 22-10

5 Wheatland 24-3

6 Jefferson 27-3

7 Leeton 26-3

8 Southwest (Livingston County) 18-9

9 Norborne 23-3

10 South Nodaway 23-4

Class 2

1 Skyline 28-2

2 Adrian 30-2

3 Scotland County 28-2

4 Oran 27-5

5 Clopton 26-2

6 Neelyville 22-5

7 Mid Buchanan 23-6

8 Gainesville 28-2

9 Thayer 25-2

10 Santa Fe 27-2

Class 3

1 Strafford 33-0

2 Whitfield 24-8

3 Lutheran North 23-9

4 Trenton 27-5

5 Southern Boone 24-6

6 Father Tolton 20-6

7 St. James 27-1

8 Southeast KC 19-6

9 Boonville 24-3

10 Principia 21-7

Class 4

1 Incarnate Word 28-4

2 St. Pius X (KC) 26-4

3 Dexter 23-9

4 Carl Junction 27-4

5 Chillicothe 25-3

6 Parkway North 24-6

7 Lutheran South 20-9

8 Center 20-7

9 Grain Valley 21-5

10 Osage 22-7

Class 5

1 Kirkwood 28-3

2 Lee's Summit 16-14

3 Rock Bridge 26-6

4 St. Joseph's 20-10

5 Washington 25-4

6 Lebanon 23-6

7 Jefferson City 25-4

8 Jackson 22-7

9 Branson 25-5

10 Lees Summit North 24-1

Replies (37)

• Nice to see SEMO well represented in the final polls.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Tue, Mar 28, 2017, at 7:24 PM
  • Not a bad year!

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Mar 28, 2017, at 7:40 PM
  • I would say that SCC should have been higher. Lost to Advance 54-52.

No disputing the state champions in each division, but #2 and down are up for debate. It depends on who is in your district, and then the district matchups, etc.

For example, I believe St. Mary's is the 2nd best team in the state for class 4 boys. They just happened to have to meet Vashon earlier in the playoffs.

No good remedy for this, but an observation.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 9:25 AM
  • Weird that Saxony Lutheran is #10 and Charleston #6.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 9:30 AM
  • Mr. Baseball: One remedy is to seed the final 16 teams and play a 16 team tournament from there. It won't solve the issue for districts that are loaded where the top 2 or 3 teams in the state are in the same district. But at least it allows teams like St. Mary's (an example) to have a chance to get to Columbia. MSHSAA is all about making money so they won't go for this. Other states do something similar to this suggestion. Also, in Arkansas the top two teams in a district move on. That might also be a solution but it would cut into MSHSAA's profit line.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 10:05 AM
  • The top three teams in Class 4 were clearly Vashon, St. Mary's, and Sikeston. Vashon had zero problem with its two semifinal opponents. Sometimes they do the rankings correctly as they should be. Sometimes they don't. I remember in 1993 that Portageville beat Bernie in a barnburner in district play. Portageville rolled to the title. Bernie still finished ranked 2nd. In 2008 Notre Dame beat Sikeston in districts. ND rolled to state. Sikeston finished ranked 4th. In 2009 Borgia beat Sikeston in a close quarterfinal game. Borgia rolled to state. Sikeston finished ranked 2nd. I'm not sure why the voters didn't follow a "true ranking" this year. Doesn't matter. Just something to talk about I suppose.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 10:19 AM
  • For a 16 team tournament, the seedings would have to be better than what they do for the in season periodic rankings. Those are generally not accurate.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 10:26 AM
  • no way that Charleston should be ranked ahead of Saxony Lutheran. That is ridiculous

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 11:41 AM
  • SCC lost to Advance by 50 (without a full team) in January and then by 20 in the sectional. Not sure where you got the 54-52 score.

Yeah, I'm scratching my head at Charleston ahead of Saxony as well. I'm sure it's an oversight by the voters but I'm not sure how that happens.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 11:55 AM
  • If your team doesnt make it to the final four why would you care what this poll has you ranked. As stated by someone else, the polls throughout the season arent accurate so why would anyone think the last poll would be. And i believe it was Risco that lost to Advance 54-52(not sure), and they are not ranked.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 12:18 PM

1 through 4 in the "poll" reflects the order of finish in the tournament in each class. Seems pretty obvious that MSHSAA or the MBCA instructed the voters to vote this way or that the MBCA did some creative tabulating. If MSHSAA and/or the MBCA feel insecure about a poll that doesn't match the results of the tournament, they probably shouldn't bother with one.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 12:39 PM
  • Polls can create some good publicity for your school and can maybe help to create some hype for games between ranked opponents. After that, they mean nothing. If I finish 4th in the state I have the experiences which are what make it great. Who cares if I'm ranked lower than that when its all said and done.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 12:51 PM
  • You care because it gives a gauge on what people thought of your team. Did your team gain respect or not? That's why people care about polls. Do they matter? Do you get a trophy? No. But it shows what people thought of your product.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 12:53 PM
  • I'm kind of feeling the same way UGW. To me it's a lazy way of doing the poll if you rank the way they finished the state tournament as 1 through 4. That'd be like college basketball ranking its top 4 teams as the teams that made the final four. Some years this might be the case, but probably not this year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 1:02 PM
  • And I don't buy it when people say polls don't matter. Well maybe not to them, but to many people they do. I know a lot of people in Bernie that are still very proud of that "No. 2" ranking to this day. They even printed up T-shirts if I recall lol.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 1:06 PM
  • Actually the 54-52 game was SCC over Risco in district final. Didn't Risco beat Advance in the regular season? I take back my comments about SCC needed to be ranked higher.

But again, there's Risco unranked in the final poll as well.

I may be biased, but I think the SEMO area has more than our share of good teams in at least classes 1-3.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 6:04 PM
  • Risco's only two losses were against Oran (Class 2, State Champ) and SCC (class 1, #8).

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 6:08 PM
  • Taxpayer Parent, your gripe about MSHSAA being all about money is somewhat unfounded or negatively biased. They are not all about money. They strive to make a small profit each year or break even. The state playoffs are based on school size and geographical location. MSHSAA is governed by the member schools and led by people who are elected/appointed by representatives of member schools. It is in the charter drawn up by participating member schools. You always have some districts or areas in certain sports that are stronger than others. Thats the way it is. If people dont like it, change the way things are run. Remember all big decisions are voted on by member schools. I dont how you would make it better by seeding teams, this is an inexact science at best and would bring into play more bias and politics, which we dont need IMO. Our leadership at MSHSAA is fiscally conservative which reflects the mindset of most Missourians. Your gripes are based on emotions and inaccurate information. Teachers, coaches, administrators, and officials all have a say in what MSHSAA does. Its called voting, not whining.

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 6:09 PM
  • I thought risco lost to south pem also. Maybe not. I think the what hurts risco is same thing that hurts Saxony. Strength of schedule. Let Saxony play Charlestons schedule day in and day out. Just sayin.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 6:40 PM
  • Yes I realize Saxony beat Charleston but that's only 1 game

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 6:41 PM
  • Risco is the smaller school in every game they play. Don't know how many opportunities they will have to enjoy another year like this recent one. Hard to upgrade schedule .Malden and NMCC aren't interested. Don't know why they don't play SCC. Used to . Lost to Oran,South Pem, and SCC. Did beat Advance, Portageville,Bernie ,Twin Rivers,East Prairie, and South Pem in a rematch. No longer go to Meridian. Havent heard any of the players complain about the final poll. I think they were more interested in playing their way to a better result.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 8:39 PM
  • Just to be clear, Risco and SCC don't schedule a regular season game but of course have played many times in the playoffs.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 8:54 PM
  • Did Bernie seriously get #2 shirts printed? Please tell me that was a joke. Speaking of which, when we went to Bernie 5-6 years ago...they had a program of some sort and all the players had their jerseys with blue jean photo shoots. I thought it was a joke but it was most certainly a "serious" photo shoot. Just jerseys n jeans. Cmon yaeger get your boys in check!

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 9:24 PM

If Saxony wants to be ranked higher maybe they need to toughen up their schedule. I know they beat Charleston convincingly in that ONE game. But, that's what it was. A 1 game sample.Do you all think Wisconsin will be ranked ahead of Villanova based on 1 game? I highly doubt it.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 8:22 AM
  • SAXONY....Last year (2015-16' 24-5 record) alot of teams dropped us from their schedule. This year (2016-17) we finished 26-4,and With 2 year contracts, we picked up Kennett, Caruthersville, North County, Park Hills, Twin Rivers and the Carbondale Holiday tournament (Meridian, Memphis U, Murphysboro, Ridgeway) I'd say a pretty decent upgrade from our previous schedule. Now this year more teams have dropped us and we have also added to our schedule Sikeston, and Duchense (St. Charles). So the 11 games we picked up are all good teams, and I believe we still need a couple more games. We are trying to make our schedule as difficult as possible.

-- Posted by Kdub102002 on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 9:31 AM
  • There was once this neighbor of mine who had a dog. That dog always came over into my yard and took a dump. My dog got tired of people saying the neighbor door could push out a bigger pile. So, I started feeding my dog the premium stuff instead of the Always Save crap. My dog eventually won the biggest pile award of the entire street.

This post is dedicated to all of you who like to get on Semoball and talk about how great you are/all of the great things you are doing. Peace.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 9:52 AM
  • We are not great, just trying to get better.

-- Posted by Kdub102002 on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 9:58 AM
  • If you all on here don't like the one game scenario of Saxony beating Charleston, then why are all games, including those for the state championship one game? Should this be changed to a series format?

Bottom line, Saxony was a pretty good team and beat Charleston when it really counted.

Charleston fans need to quit with the excuses and live with it.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 10:29 AM
  • So we play Saxony next year, wonder who we dropped

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 10:45 AM
  • Ozzy must have woke up on the wrong side of the barn this morning. Lol

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 12:19 PM
  • Mr. Baseball, dont see any "Charleston fans" on this thread. Believe the statements where more aimed at Saxony schedule, which Kdub quickly addressed. Pretty sure finishing 6th or 10th in the final poll is irrelevant to them (Charleston). But if it makes you feel better we will provide you a "safe space" here and we can all say Saxony is 6th and Charleston in now 10th.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 12:49 PM
  • Vandumpster100-My barn is insulated nicely and has a industrial size filter to keep the air quality high.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 1:04 PM
  • Sounds like a great barn. Too bad you woke up on the wrong end of it ozzy.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 2:11 PM
  • I care where Saxony and Charleston are rated only because it is logical and based on facts that Saxony should be rated higher than Charleston. I have no affiliation with either; but saying that it was one game and the "better team" lost is nuts. The game wasn't even close in the playoffs between these two teams. I don't care if it is these two teams or another two teams. You can't say a team is better than another if they lost to them, especially by double digits (generally speaking; but I understand cases where half a team is out because of the flu, for example). Keep your "safe space", whatever that means?? I have no dog in this fight except people dismissing facts. No Charleston fans on this thread, but Saxony detractors inadvertently lifting up Charleston on this thread to criticize Saxony-I get it. I don't feel better or worse, just making a logical statement based on facts that Saxony beat Charleston, and thus should be ranked higher in the final poll.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 3:11 PM

^ Quit being butt hurt and get over it. The body of work used in the poll thought Charleston was a better team than Saxony. If Saxony doesn't like it they should either: 1) Have beaten Caruthersville (Charleston beat them 2x)or 2) get the majority of the cream puffs off the schedule and play with the big boys. Its sounds like they are doing the latter for sure.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Fri, Mar 31, 2017, at 8:57 AM
  • Dumpster, you need to toughen up. We have enough softies in the world as it is.

It's a poll. Created by humans. Most of whom have never watched Saxony or Charleston play. Charleston likely got the nod because of their tradition. I can't see how that is so hard to figure out. Like Pimp/MoneyMike said, nobody should be printing shirts of their place in the poll.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Mar 31, 2017, at 9:32 AM
  • I am assuming that you are referring to me ozzy. (With the dumpster comment). Have you ever heard me comment about Charleston or Saxony?

Or was that first part only about me? You are the one that got on a post and explained how your dog takes a really big dump. And I am soft? And for the record, if you feed your dog premium food, he/she will actually take a smaller dump because the food will have more ingredients used by the animal, which produces less waste.

Good lord man.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Fri, Mar 31, 2017, at 2:15 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: