Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Moberley vs Mac

Posted by uncommon_sense on Sat, Jan 21, 2017, at 10:19 PM:

Anyone have score or details of game tonight?

Replies (39)

• MAc won by about 8 points I believe.

-- Posted by oldschool3 on Sat, Jan 21, 2017, at 10:20 PM
  • Mac won 66-58, moberly only lead once on a buzzer shot at the end of the 1st and the first couple minutes of the second half.

-- Posted by pj1972 on Sat, Jan 21, 2017, at 10:43 PM
  • Played the second half without the shot clock and the game is so much better with no shot clock. Both teams really talented. Get after it on defense and are disciplined and well coached. Great game to watch though not real smooth or pretty because there was so much defense being played.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 10:19 AM

MAC has a very good team. I believe they have 4 D1 commits on the team.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 10:27 AM

How did Dell Bogan do for Moberly?

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 2:52 PM
  • Think he had 4 or 5 pets. Late in the 2nd half radio said he had 4. Don't know any other stats he had.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 3:48 PM
  • Two very good teams with a lot on the line in region play. Regardless of what you think of the shot clock it IS in the rules and a game of that magnitude should not have been played with out it. Did they not set up someone to keep the time at the table and have the PA guy call it out every 10 seconds or something like that?

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 3:50 PM

Both games are on youtube under MAC athletics for anyone that wants to watch.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 3:54 PM
  • Wouldn't have Smith had to agree not to use it?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 4:55 PM
  • There was a lengthy discussion about the shot clock w/ about 6-8 min left in the 1st half, between the officials and the HC's. there was no back up clock available.. Apparently both coaches were good w/out a clock. I also heard that the officials said they were going to go w/out the clock...

The Bogan kid had a tough assignment guarding Roundtree, who has been on fire of late.. 24,20 points vs 3R and W Plains respectfully.. He had 13 last night..

Moberly had a rough night shooting the ball, they ave 91 a game, but were held to 58.. MAC's D was solid..

-- Posted by waterbottle21 on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 7:42 PM
  • Also might not have helped that the Hounds haven't played a very tough schedule.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 8:38 PM
  • I'm sure everybody would have had to agree to an alternative way to keep a shot clock count, I just can't believe they all agreed not to use anything. Oh well somebody was gonna take their first loss, no skin off my back either way.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Sun, Jan 22, 2017, at 9:17 PM
  • Moberly agreed to the no shot clock. No way you could have had someone keep it and then call it out. The place was loud...huge crowd..no guarantee's that it would have been fair to that. It was the same for both teams. Really did not affect the game until the last 7 minutes and then MAC used over 40 seconds and got a back door layup. The game is so much better without the clock. If Moberly had been ahead...they could have used it to their advantage..and they would have probably. MAC was going to win with or without the shot clock. Moberly will get them back at Moberly I am pretty sure.

Bogan started for Moberly. Did not score a great deal...but Moberly was held way below their average. Both teams struggled a bit offensively.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 12:21 AM
  • Could MAC and Moberly be the best college basketball teams in the state? Don't laugh, quite possible this year.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 8:09 AM
  • Bogey Man, I think that's a legitimate question. I have said before, that the MAC and TRCC teams of the early 90's could have beat SEMO. Region 16 has produced some major talent over the years and some very good teams.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 8:22 AM
  • You would think with the talent coming thru MO Jucos that the MO DI schools would be loaded with transfers. A natural feeder system is in place.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 8:37 AM
  • 3R's team in late 80's with Cobel (sp) and Spreewell would've beat SEMO and a lot of other 4 yr schools.. Can't remember if Fred Johnson was on that team or the year before.

-- Posted by waterbottle21 on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 8:48 AM
  • It's a legitimate question. Think about all the division 1 talent from 3 rivers from the early 90s.

Shon Peck Love-Alabama

Belvis Noland-Alabama

Benji Johnson-Idaho

Brian Price-Mississippi State

Sunday Adebayo-Hogs/Memphis State

Chad Allen-Memphis State

Justin WImmer-Memphis State

Anthony Beane-Kansas State

Latrell Sprewell-Alabama

Greg Coble-Murray State(late 80s)

Brian Blackburn-Arkansas State

I'm sure I've forgotten some.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 8:54 AM
  • Willie Walker - Colorado St. ?

Mark Kiehne - Arkansas St.

And they were all legit at those schools except Blackburn.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 9:18 AM
  • Seems like there was a dude named Jeff Ferguson that went to Liberty University?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 9:33 AM
  • Oz, I think Belvis went to Kansas St. as well, if I'm not mistaken.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 10:08 AM
  • These JUCO teams would not have beaten SEMO during the Shumate years. Probably not ever.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 4:08 PM
  • Keith Ferguson is the player who went to Liberty.

Yeah, the '92 National Championship team would have handled SEMO that year.....

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 4:50 PM
  • Coble and Sprewell played together in 88-89. No way that 3R team would have beaten SEMO's national runner-up team.....

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 4:52 PM
  • I'm inclined to agree with those who don't think 3 rivers could beat many of the Shumate led teams. The one of the two teams that SEMO had that finished runner up in the nation had some straight studs with the likes of Riley Ellis, Ronny Rankin, and Ray Pugh along with others. Michael Morris was a stud as well. The 88-89 team has some studs as well with local boys like Ray Pugh, who led the team in scoring. OTher local boys like Malcolm Henry and Mike Lewis were really good as well. And then you had Dwayne Rutherford who is one of the best guards to ever play as SEMO. Lost of great times for SEMO basketball.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 5:36 PM
  • The D2 teams Shumate had were WAY better than his D1 teams. Other than the few teams Gary Garner coached in the late 90's, SEMO has had some crappers come through, including the present.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 6:49 PM
  • joefrank78, I think you may be under estimating how good some of these JUCO teams were, and still are.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 6:56 PM
  • The D2 Shumate times were awesome!!! Show Me Center was nearly full and rockin!!!

Very unfortunate to see what Semo basketball has become...

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 7:26 PM
  • It's quite common to look at the records, etc for a team and leap to the conclusion they could beat teams at the next level. I remember "many" years ago when our JV team was loaded and had started out the season something like 10-1, 11-1. Everyone started filling them with the notion they could beat the varsity, which was something like 2-12. The coach noticed this and decided to have a "teaching moment," and had the teams scrimmage each other one night (in a closed session). The varsity proceeded to defeat the JV by around 15-20 points, which kind of brought the younger team back down to reality!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 7:31 PM
  • Juco region 16 is loaded with good teams this year, makes for great basketball and these smaller gyms are packed and exciting atmosphere. If haven't been to game should come and check it out.

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 8:32 PM
  • That's not really a fitting analogy, semo7178. If the JV players were better than the varsity, they would have been playing on the varsity.

I mean, I understand that you are suggesting that 3R's lofty 37-3 record was against JUCO competition and that's fair to point out. However, I'm just looking at the personnel......

Three Rivers '92 national championship team had several players who went on to very productive careers at D1 schools such as Alabama, Memphis, Mississippi State, and Kansas State while SEMO was pretty down at that time. I certainly don't think it's a stretch to say 3R had more talent that year....

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 1:11 AM
  • That was exactly my point marcus. TRCC was loaded!

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 7:06 AM
  • One of the best games I've ever watched was when "King" Arthur Long can to TRCC along with southeastern cc and the Raiders beat them. That dude is one of the best I've ever seen

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 8:52 AM
  • Oz, there was an Arthur Long from Dodge City CC. Is that who you're talking about?

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 9:04 AM
  • Yes. He played his first year of juco at Dodge City and then played his second year at Southeastern before moving on to Cincinnati.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 9:18 AM
  • I remember him well. I played against that Dodge City team. They were loaded with talent but very undisciplined.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 9:22 AM
  • It's been awhile since Three Rivers has been really good. Time for a change??

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 11:33 AM
  • In contrast to my previous post, I think the best example of a "younger" team being superior to an older one was the year the UCLA "freshmen" team (led by Lew Alcindor) defeated the defending champion UCLA varsity. That was the last year John Wooden had the freshmen play the varsity! Even after that defeat, the varsity remained ranked #1 in the national poll, yet wound up not winning even 20 games, and did not make the NCAA tournament (they only invited 22 teams that year). Wooden later said he felt his team was capable of repeating as champions, but were demoralized after losing to the freshmen team.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 11:56 AM
  • Bogey-It really has not been that long since 3 Rivers has been really good. They finished 2nd in the nation in 2010 and then went back to the national tournament in 2011-2012. It's not like there was ever a stretch when 3 rivers was going to the national tournament on a yearly basis.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Jan 24, 2017, at 12:49 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: