Brett Thomas

Neil Johnson

Logan Dollins

Chase Young

Tyler Anderson

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Thu, May 5, 2011, at 11:52 PM

Luis Matos

-- Posted by Shadow-the-hedgehog on Fri, May 6, 2011, at 3:27 PM
  • in no particular order, Williams from Central, Heisserer from N.D., Clark from Jackson, Grantham, Dollins, and Lack from Kennett, Murphy from Malden.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, May 6, 2011, at 7:48 PM
  • idk what to say about williams from central

-- Posted by uptobat on Fri, May 6, 2011, at 7:50 PM
  • trey gardner can hit the ball

-- Posted by uptobat on Fri, May 6, 2011, at 8:03 PM
  • brett dirnberger from scott city

-- Posted by chris whites on Fri, May 6, 2011, at 9:22 PM
  • You mean Clay Baker isn't considered one of the best hitters in the area?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, May 7, 2011, at 5:07 PM
  • Eric Hayes from ND

-- Posted by Jacksmith9 on Sat, May 7, 2011, at 9:30 PM
  • From ND Hayes, Heisserer, Landewee and from kennett Grantham and Lack

-- Posted by <8910> on Sun, May 8, 2011, at 9:25 AM
  • Johnson has used a wood bat this season and is still hitting the ball well. i think he has swung a metal bat 1 game. but still he is hitting .500 with a wood bat.

-- Posted by baseball_player on Sun, May 8, 2011, at 9:26 AM
  • Don't pat yourself too much on the back (8910)

-- Posted by newfrontier60 on Sun, May 8, 2011, at 12:50 PM
  • -Tanner Murphy---Malden

-Tyler Anderson---Sikeston

-Drew Harper---Sikeston

-Kody Moore---Oran

-Bret Thomas---Oak Ridge

-Andy Lack---Kennett

-- Posted by dont worry on Sun, May 8, 2011, at 1:21 PM
  • I would take Ross Moldenhauer, Tyler Blessing and Jake Dobbelare from Perryville in my line-up everyday

-- Posted by deckerd31 on Sun, May 8, 2011, at 4:38 PM
  • ND hayes, heisserer, sophmore chase simmons ( hasnt had many at bats).. Jackson baker koehler petzoldt scott city fortner dirnberger

-- Posted by Baseball1994 on Mon, May 9, 2011, at 8:14 PM
  • Chaffee's freshman Cody Payne and Scott County Centrals Dustin Johnson (batting over 500 right now)

-- Posted by loveofthegame on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 8:35 AM
  • I want to see Payne and johnson play against some tougher competition consistantly.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 11:39 AM
  • Payne has played pretty good competition.. They've played Oran, Charleston, Cape, Notre Dame, Oak Ridge, East Prarie, Scott City, Twin Rivers, Shawnee, Saxony... I mean he is a freshman in a 2a school. Id say with the age he's age and playing equal to better competition he has really excelled this season.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 1:20 PM

Hayes? No way.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 4:39 PM
  • i just didn't remember him doing anything when we played chaffee, I believe we had a few stolen bases also. Maybe he just had an ofc game though.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 5:27 PM

Adam Grantham is hitting .557 with a .984 slugging percentage.

-- Posted by Thats A Winner on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 6:02 PM
  • What do you have against these younger players? If they are hitting these pitchers it doesn't matter how old they are. If they are the best in our area......they are the best!! 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade doesn't matter!!

-- Posted by loveofthegame on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 7:49 PM
  • but thats the thing, THEY ARENT THE BEST!!

-- Posted by winnerwinner on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 9:22 PM
  • My point is just that they may seem like the best among small schools but when compared with other larger schools they wont seem as good and may not even be on varsity. The best example of where this shows is the christmas tournament.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 12:24 AM
  • When is the Christmas Tourney? I'm looking forward to seeing some of the small school talent. Surely the Christmas tournament isn't in December, I don't think the field will be in very good shape come winter.

-- Posted by stlfanin501 on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 1:20 AM
  • I think he's referring to basketball maybe? Baseball is a little different but I agree, a class one ace may be undefeated in a class one schedule, and a class 4 pitcher might be .500 in a class four schedule.. But 9 times out of 10, the class four pitcher is probably better

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 2:07 AM
  • Yes gadget that's exactly my point.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:17 AM

So what I'm hitting. 500 wifh 45 homeruns at the all-star break in mlb 11 the show... beat that

-- Posted by Shadow-the-hedgehog on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:45 AM
  • Really you are not comparing basketball to baseball?? SCC is a very small school and has been kicking butt in this area for years. They won the Christmas Tourney. These smaller school all have larger schools on there baseball schedule. If the players are hitting the "big" school pitchers, they can't be to bad. So yes that would make them amoung the "best" hitters.

-- Posted by loveofthegame on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:20 AM
  • Payne had 2 hits against cape central.

and watch what you say about the christmas tournament for next year.. leopold n SCC are tiny and they'll be 2 of the top 5 teams

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:46 AM
  • SCC has been a top team for quite some time. I'm talking about as a whole larger schools are dominant over small schools in talent except a few exceptions.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 12:35 PM
  • Plus when a smaller school plays a larger one. They usually aren't facing the big schools top pitchers.

-- Posted by BG10 on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 2:09 PM
  • Bg10- its not the small schools fault that they arent facing the best pitcher they still perform off that team and they cant controll who pitches

they hit whoever comes up

-- Posted by baller21 on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 9:05 PM
  • To further bg10's comment, if your smaller school players hit decently against big schools 3 4 5 pitchers and a big school hitter hits the same against the 1 or 2. The big school hitter is the better hitter. I understand that everybody plays different against different people but this is hypothetical. When we play somebody we normally see they're ace or the 2, same goes for jackson and ND, so when you see our hitters going 2-4 in the paper think that we're going against the best they could put out there. Like today against bluff they threw Quinton west, they're ace, and we knocked him around and got him out in the 2nd. Tomorrow you better believe we will see the best jackson has to throw. I understand for some small schools this is true, like if its an important game against clearwater you will see logan morris and we could pitch in the 1 or 2 spot for anybody around but after him the skill drops off. Its like that for most small schools, so you may only see 1 ace out of 4 games.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 11:17 PM
  • Tyler Blessing from Perryville looked really good he was 4-4 with 4 doubles earlier this year and has hit in what seams every game posted this year.

-- Posted by baseball_bum on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 10:49 AM
  • CHSballer - agreed. That is why it is so hard to determine the "best" in high school. Teams don't play the same teams and don't see the same pitchers. That does not mean there are not some small school hitters among the best, likely there are. It's just that you can't always tell by just looking at the box score and batting averages.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 11:21 AM
  • Johnson could hit or pitch for any school no matter what class.

-- Posted by braves win on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 9:22 PM

he was o-4 today with 2 ks

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 9:35 PM
  • Which Johnson are we talking about? If it's one of them from SCC, then that has to be a joke. If it's the one from Woodland then I agree.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 9:39 PM
  • Neil johnson? Yes he could do anything he wanted for any team around here.

Ramsey scott for us needs to be considered in this forum. He is hitting over. 400 right now as a sophomore. He tore it up on jv earlier this season and has just continued it on varsity. He has came through in some huge clutch situations for us. Be sure to keep your ears open for his name in his next two years of high school ball.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, May 18, 2011, at 12:13 AM
  • Yes Neil Johnson is a great all around player

-- Posted by baller83 on Wed, May 18, 2011, at 12:20 AM
  • best hitters

Grantham

murphy

Dollins

Cody H from ND

Anderson

brett thomas

Blessing

neil Johnson

hayes ND

Lack

landewee

-- Posted by sportspa on Wed, May 18, 2011, at 1:06 AM
  • Cody Groves- Gideon

-- Posted by BulldogPride on Wed, May 18, 2011, at 11:42 AM
  • Dustin Johnson

-- Posted by braves win on Wed, May 18, 2011, at 9:43 PM
  • Ramsey scott was 3-4 with 5 rbis today against sikeston.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, May 18, 2011, at 10:23 PM
  • Landewe??

-- Posted by Backyard ball on Wed, May 18, 2011, at 10:24 PM
  • i was about to say ramsey

-- Posted by centraltyga on Thu, May 19, 2011, at 7:27 AM
  • Moldenhauer ended up hitting around 520 to 530 for perryville this year..dobbelare finished around 450..as for the small school big school argument, it can go both ways...I think an ace is ace no matter what class level..the big difference is against teams like kennett,jackson,cape cental, you are more likely to see a quality pitcher no matter what day of the week it is...also, the same goes with hitting...if a kid can hit, the numbers will be there...they may be a little inflated at the lower levels but that's the way it works

-- Posted by deckerd31 on Thu, May 19, 2011, at 10:06 AM
  • decker31,

I agree Perryville has some quality ballplayers. I watched Perryville play 3 games, where do you rate Oran compared to the teams you played as far as all around? I beleive Dobblare pitched that game.

-- Posted by luckyone4 on Thu, May 19, 2011, at 10:17 PM
  • Big School, Small school, it doesn't matter. It's not about where you go to high school. Its about the talent. Yes big schools may generally have more more players with exceptional talent than small schools but small schools will also have players that can out play some of the better big school players any day of the week. The better players are playing more than just high school baseball,such as prospect ball or good legion programs such as DC and Cape, where they will see far better talent than they will see at the high school level. The point some of you are trying to make is just because a kid is playing 5A baseball hes better than 1A and 2A talent, which is crap.

As far as the topic of best hitters in the area. I think that Joe Campbell is one of the top hitters in southeast missouri, if not the best. He put up great numbers in his four years and is going to a legitimate college program in the fall. In years past Campbell has been no push over program. From 06-09 they had 8 players go on to play college baseball. In the class of '10 they had Zack Jackson, who was an outstanding ball player but from my understanding didn't put forth the effort of continuing his career in college. They have produced a lot of talent for a 2A school if you ask me. South Pem has also spit out a number of college players in that time frame as well.

-- Posted by SEMO_Fan89 on Thu, May 26, 2011, at 5:29 PM
  • I agree with you a little, every few years there are a group of good players together in a smaller school, but for the most part there are just one here or there.

On saying no difference between small or bigger schools, thats crazy!

Ask Cape,Jackson,Sikeston,PB or even ND if they don't get everyone's best pitcher? Do you think a big school is going to throw a good pitcher against a small school if the next day they are playing one of these schools?

Why has Notre Dame not played Charleston in the past few years? They only played them this year if they would throw James Naile.

That's why I have always said the big schools are in a lose/lose situation when playing the smallers schools. If they win, they are suppose to, if they lose they look bad.

Thats why alot of the smaller schools players have better numbers. (avg.,HR,RBI)

I know there are some legit players out there and they will be found but every small school doesn't have great players like all these High School boys that get on here.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, May 27, 2011, at 11:04 AM
  • Averaging sending 2 players per year onto college ball isn't anything special when you come to bigger schools. Notre Dame is a perfect example, it wont happen this year but normally they send 4-5 players on to some level of collegiate baseball.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, May 27, 2011, at 12:03 PM
  • Don't you think that good 2A programs see their opponents best every time they square off as well? At the 2A level there is some of the best pitching I've seen in the area in years past, note that i strongly believe the talent level the past two years as been well under par. But take Senath, Campbell, and South Pem for instance. Everytime these teams met you seen a good arm on the mound for both squads. Senath had Heath Horvath (pretty consistent with mid 80's) South Pem had Tyler Thompson(mid-upper 80's) who is tough at any level especially when he has his off speed. Campbell had Dylan Lynn. Not sure what his velocity was in high school but i'd say consistently low 80's maybe touching up to mid 80s with good breaking pitches.

One of my former players is playing at the juco level as well. So when them and three rivers or jefferson got together i was hoping to get to see these guys throw. Thompson was good both times i seen him. Never got to see Horvath throw but he had good numbers for a freshman and even threw a perfect game. I was impressed by Lynn, that young man has really developed into a solid pitcher, fastball upper 80's-low 90's. He's come a long way since high school.

These three young men all had solid years at the Juco level and Heath and Tyler are only freshman. Tyler has an offer from Arkansas State University(D1). Heath will have plenty of interest from d1 schools and good NAIA schools during his sophomore season. I heard that Lynn received interests from D1 schools but is going to be attending Harding University(D2).

My point that i am trying to get across is that these "big schools with so much more talent then these small schools" aren't producing big time division 1 baseball players. Big and Small are both producing a lot of good juco players, some smaller d1 players, and some NAIA and other NCAA schools (d2 and d3).

Sorry for kind of taking the topic from hitting to pitching in this post. I will agree with you on one matter though. Bigger Schools are producing more hitters and position players, but as far as pitching goes I got to give it to the small schools.

-- Posted by SEMO_Fan89 on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 5:16 PM
  • As I stated, the small schools almost all have 1 pitcher that could be the ace at nearly any school around here and then another pitcher who is decent and could eat innings at a larger school. I'll use cape central for my example, we had andrew williams, andrew Hileman, and ronnie scott. All three could pitch against a smaller school even like chaffee and cone out with a win along with another 1 or 2 pitchers that could pull a win out. Our top.three could also all get a win against bigger schools like sikeston who we faced in the district championship game. My point being there is just more overall talent at bigger schools except for those rare years where a small school has it all like scc has in basketball. Oak ridge had brett thomas who is going on to play baseball at mizzou. When he pitches, they win without a doubt, but when he doesn't they have to rely on their hitting to win their games.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Jun 15, 2011, at 9:04 PM
  • Cape senior legion obviously has some good hitters after winning 15-1 today.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Thu, Jun 16, 2011, at 7:24 PM
  • BB-BORE, did you not get baseballguy's memo? Besides, Cape Sr Legion played a bunch of 8th graders today. That doesn't count.

-- Posted by short-stop22 on Thu, Jun 16, 2011, at 8:13 PM
  • I stated something about the showcase tournament in cape this weekend and they had to at least be 16...

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Thu, Jun 16, 2011, at 9:45 PM
  • ANYONE HAVE ANY UPDATES ON THE CAPE TOURNEY TODAY.

SCORES, PITCHERS AND ANY OTHER HIGHLIGHTS IF ANY?

THANKS

-- Posted by 1Daisey on Fri, Jun 17, 2011, at 11:43 AM

TANNER FREAKIN MURPHY

-- Posted by Gaga11 on Sat, Jul 9, 2011, at 1:30 AM
  • Logan Faith--Poplar Bluff,Best Hitter

-- Posted by meatman1 on Fri, Nov 4, 2011, at 1:11 PM
  • Ramsey Scott, junior, cape central.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Nov 4, 2011, at 7:49 PM
  • And what are those kids from Campbell doing these days? Isn't Kyle the only ones still playing? Also, last I checked, Joe isn't playing college baseball anywhere. Signed, but didn't go.

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 5:14 PM
  • @Rocky09.. Joe Campbell(OF) and Dylan Lynn(RHP) both signed to play at Harding University, but following the departure of pitching coach and the coach who recruited them left, they backed out on their commitments to Harding. Both were granted releases and Lynn is pitching for SEMO and Joe is now playing for TRCC. And I believe Dustin Crane from Campbell is still playing at the college level. But yes Kyle is still on the team at Lyon. So you are correct there.

-- Posted by SEMO_Fan89 on Wed, Jan 25, 2012, at 4:18 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: