Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Class 2

Posted by RedBlack on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 1:35 PM:

I think it is funny that Charleston was actually ranked to begin the season. Their number 1 pitcher is the only one who has won any games. There supposed number 2 would probably be a number 4 or 5 on any other decent team. And from what Ive heard they dont swing it very well. I'm glad Chaffee is finally getting the recognition they deserve. Out of the surrounding districts, its gonna come down to Clearwater, Chaffee or Valle, and Crystal City

Replies (38)

• And Twin Rivers, almost forgot them

-- Posted by RedBlack on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 1:37 PM
  • don't let win loss record overwhelm you. charleston is playing a tough schedule. playing bigger above average teams prepares you better than racking up the wins vs. weaker competition. charleston will be around win it comes to district semis, finals, and beyond. class two is talented in semo area with a lot of good arms. the teams with multiple good arms may have the advantage eventually, but naile, morris, stockton, winkleman can beat anyone on any given day.

-- Posted by roll tide roll on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 1:52 PM
  • Yes Naile can. But you have to get to the district championship to win it. which means two others, or atleast one other pitcher will have to win in districts. And I know Charleston plays tough teams. But they have not beaten a tough opponent. They lost to Dexter who is down and new madrid who is mediocre at best

-- Posted by RedBlack on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 2:08 PM
  • Assuming you are a Chaffee fan...Chaffee has suprised alot of people this year. Nothing but props for them, they have done well, and deserve to move into rankings, but dont get on and bash another team. The season is young. You dont know how teams will play when playoffs begin. Charleston plays Chaffee today, should be a good game. Hopefully that supposed number 2 you speak of shows up to prove you wrong

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 2:19 PM
  • who are some of chaffees better wins?

-- Posted by roll tide roll on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 2:23 PM
  • I'm a Chaffee fan and although we've played well this season, and beat some good class 1 teams, until we beat someone like Charleston, Twin Rivers, or Oran, it's all just talk. Losing to Scott City last week was not good. Over the next few weeks our schedule is tougher with Charleston, Oak Ridge (if Thomas pitches), New Madrid (who I think is better than some give them credit for), and Oran. We may also get a chance to play Twin Rivers next weekend at the Red Devil Classic which would be great.

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 3:14 PM
  • Class 2 is loaded in the this area. I guess it goes to speak for itself when the last 3 state champions in class 2 have came out of the Semo area. I can possibly see Charleston squeaking by to a district title if the cards fall right and Naile matches up in the championship game, granted they do play in the weakest class 2 district in the Semo area. Just because your obviously on the Chaffee bandwagon doesn't mean you have to get on here and degrade Charleston however. They can't help what they get ranked in state, however I do agree that they were strongly overrated to start the year off. As for Chaffee, cudos to them. No one ever dreamed they would win their district last year and it seemingly has carried over to success this year but I just cannot see them beating Valle.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 6:37 PM
  • Charleston has THE worst outfield I have ever seen in over 60 years of watching baseball.

-- Posted by Big Banger on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:08 PM
  • I have never bashed browning but I thought the kid threw low 70's.. I'm here to tell you.. That boy can pitch. I'd say he was 75-79 today. Chaffee is just swinging well. And Chaffee did not have their starting 3b and 2 hitter. Proud of those kids,. And alex Crowe needs props for going deep at charleston. He's 5'9" 145 lbs and that's the biggest field around.

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:08 PM
  • I have to concur with RedBlack. While a tough schedule (yes, they do have one) usually pays off in the long run, I don't see it happening for Charleston.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:12 PM
  • Seeing tough pitchers helps but winning games means something... Kids used to winning find ways to win and kids that are used to losing let games slip away

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:23 PM
  • Big banger, I'd say their center fielder is one of the best I've seen.. The left and righter fielder may have cost u 2 runs but lord have mercy your Cf saved you 3

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:25 PM
  • He has worked very very hard, he played a fine game today and last Thursday, 2 drop fly balls a game are killing us. 4 runs on dropped fly balls same thing at NMCC or so I hear

-- Posted by Big Banger on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 8:23 PM

And there outfielders are......who?

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 8:28 PM
  • Chaffee can swing it, we're in a funk, just gotta keep playing. Its a game, no one is drawing a check, lets have some fun. I know winning is more fun than losing, but it's a game. I use to play for a coach in what use to be the Mid Western league who use to say, it's a game, have some fun. If your grandmother is sick, winning this game doesn't change that. And we were getting paid!Let's have some fun. Congratulations to Chaffee for a job well done. Let"s hope the rain holds off and we'll play Sikeston tomorrow.

-- Posted by Mck279 on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 8:32 PM
  • redblack, y get on here and talk crap like that? who do you think you are? everyone now knows you're a Chaffee fan and if i was from Chaffee, i would be pretty ticked off by what you said.. Chaffee is decent at best.. sure they are swinging it pretty good but playing a weaker schedule doesnt help you that much.. so what that they are 11-2 right now, but you do have to play Valle in the district.. On the other hand for charleston, well right now they are terrible.. They go hitters 1-5 and thats it.. Jacksquat, yes their outfield is terrible also but just like Mck279 said its just a game and they arent getting paid.. its high school baseball.. Not every school can have that holy water like Chafffee does to bring out those studs.. lol.. most schools have down yrs like from what i have seen its Charleston this year.. If i was the Naile boy i would be sick, knowing you're probably the best pitcher in Southeast Missouri and you have an outfield that cant catch a fly ball or you have four guys who cant hit the broad side of a barn.. I hope to see Charleston back up that kid soon and even the Browning kid and help those boys be able to get some wins under the teams belt and watch them play well throughout the year.. also for chaffee, be nice to see them beat a northern team in Valle, who is usually a powerhouse year after year.. Good luck to both teams for the rest of the year...

-- Posted by winnerwinner on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 12:00 AM
  • I'm pretty sure i defended the charleston outfielders.. I said the cf was great.. so don't say i brought down another team, my statements were browning impressed me alot and the cf was very impressive, and yes redblack don't be talking stupid crap. Were both chaffee fans but don't beg for the kids to be humbled. the second they get over their heads they will have a loss that crushes them just because thats how this game treats you. and i don't think you can say they have a weak schedule. They've played district and conference games and also played Cape Central.. I think every team has played some weak teams. Chaffee is 2a.. so playing 1a and 2a schools isn't weak when you are a 2a school. the smallest 2a school in the state at that. If chaffee can get 8 hits off valle and 14 off browning im going to have to say they have a better shot to beat valle then what people give them credit for although i do understand valle is the favorite and crystal city is the overall favorite

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 12:15 AM
  • Charleston is still a dang good ball club.. most 2a schools don't have a 1-5 in their lineup that good and i know the others aren't up to par with the rest but find me more than 5 2a schools that has 9 solid players all over the field.. if naile throws today verse chaffee they probably win and then browning could pitch later in the week verse someone like a naylor and they'd win both. They chose to beef up the schedule though so they won't win as much but it doesn't mean they aren't a good team because they are.

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 12:26 AM
  • jacksquat i wasnt saying anything bad to you, i was just agreeing with you on the outfield.. but yes the CF is pretty darn quick..

-- Posted by winnerwinner on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 1:08 AM
  • Browning played better than I expected. He threw strikes, we just hit it well. The better team won

-- Posted by RedBlack on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 8:29 AM
  • Considering Charleston already has 3 boys that have signed to play college baseball (McKinney, Browning, and Naile) and a 4th that probably will (Stallings), that's something for a class 2 school. Not many small schools have that many in a class that go on to the next level. Minner has them playing a tough schedule in order to prepare them for districts. Don't count them out just yet. They would have won districts last year if the host school had not played games with the scheduling.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 8:36 AM
  • But I would not count out Chaffee either. I realize Valle is the heavy favorite to win districts but I'm not giving it to them just yet. The Chaffee team believes they can win, just like last year when they ousted Bernie and their ace. Chaffee is doing all parts of the game this year well - pitching, hitting, and fielding.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 8:41 AM
  • Yes deadred and how many seniors will they lose from the team this year. They are playing really well right now but I hear next year could be even better. Any idea?

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 5:41 PM
  • Chaffee loses 3 SRs this year, all starters: 3B, LF and #1 pitcher. But a good freshman class from this year will help out.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 6:46 PM
  • how about them Charleston Bluejays? They beat the Sikeston Bulldogs in 8 innings today, with naile throwing a complete game.. great game

-- Posted by winnerwinner on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 9:41 PM
  • ^ha

-- Posted by BG10 on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 9:51 PM
  • What's that all about?

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 10:17 PM
  • Charleston was over ranked no doubt, we have too manny holes that can't we can't hide. When you bash stallings browning watkins and the other freshmen pitchers will someone please include run support in your bashing, example, what would have happened if naile had faced thomas of oak ridge? if you go back and look at run support i believe you will find that naile hasn't faced other teams number one pitchers and for good reason, but he has recieved over 40 runs of support when he pitched, which means he probably faced the lesser pitchers while all of his counterparts have only recieved about 10 runs of support combined. I know many coaches get caught up in trying to pad a kids stats ,era - wins ect. for the paper and so some kids can pad their stats to look good for recruiting or all conference and all state purposes but to be fair lets include the full facts before we bash. and yes naile is the best pitcher in semo and charleston has no other pitchers, there outfield corners are well non existent, but to get a win someone else on the team has to do something or we would be reading about a phenom striking out 21 ever 4 days and we are just not there yet,

-- Posted by CharlestonFan on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 11:13 PM
  • How did Sikeston put up 8 today?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 11:17 PM
  • Dropped fly balls. 1st inning bases loaded 2 outs dropped fly ball 3 runs scored and so on. 2 earned runs

-- Posted by BG10 on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 11:22 PM
  • how did bases get loaded?

-- Posted by CharlestonFan on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 11:25 PM
  • Keep your heads up though. Sikeston's hitter can put the ball in play alot better than the 2a teams charleston will face in districts can. Which means less chances of players making errors and more strikeouts for Naile.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 11:25 PM
  • 2 singles and a walk. Then 2 k's and then the flyball

-- Posted by BG10 on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 11:30 PM
  • Against East Prairie James Naile pitched against Conner Scott. I can't honestly say that Connor is EP's number one, because I don't know that to be a fact. Perhaps Mikey Russell is their number one. But No one can question the fact that Connor Scott is a STUD. So thats at least one instance where James has faced a quality pitcher. Why does everything have to be so analyzed? Let em have fun. It's a team game. We win as a team and we lose as a team. For every dropped fly ball, there was perhaps a grounder that got through, or a couple of walks, that puts the runners on base prior to the dropped fly ball. Thats baseball. Let em have fun. I told my son the other night, just have fun. The time will come when you have to make the mortgage, car payment and put groceries in fridge. Enjoy it while you can. Just play ball and have fun.

-- Posted by Mck279 on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 7:55 AM
  • winer, there are other players on the bench that can catch fly balls for your info!

-- Posted by CharlestonFan on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 8:15 AM

Who are they?

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 8:32 AM
  • First time seeing the Bluejays this year and I walked away impressed. Bottom of the order came through strong yesterday when the Jays needed big hits. I don't think any of the 6-9 hitters for Charleston came in with a Avg. over 150, stocked me with what they did yesterday. Would have like to seen that 1B for Charleston hit yesterday, big kid and only a freshman. Has to be better hitter than that kid who DH's for him.

Bulldogs had a poor hitting day yesterday with runners in scoring position. Not worried though we have a young group and will bounce back and be fine.

Good luck to the Jays the rest of the way.

-- Posted by bb4life on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 9:02 AM

Hey CharlestonFan where was the run support vs. ND when Naile pitched? and where did you get the 40 number from? Jay's have only scored 13 runs since April 8th before yesterday. Must have a kid on the team or something to be bashing one of the better pitchers in the area after a big win.

-- Posted by I.P. Freely on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 9:17 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: