Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: American Legion Baseball

Posted by backintown2012 on Mon, Jul 12, 2010, at 9:43 PM:

Let me begin by saying this an observation from someone that has followed Sikeston American Legion Baseball for a few years, not just a passing comment of this year's performance of both senior and junior teams.

Managers and coaches put many hours of their own time and I commend them for that. Having said that, one has to ask what is their motivation. Love for the game or securing a starting spot on the roster for their son or their coaches son. I have seen players miss games for personal reasons, vacations, etc. When these kids come back, they step right back into starting positions. What about those who never miss a practice or game. There is no gratitute or reward for loyalty and commitment to the team/season.

There is no excuse for Sikeston American Legion Baseball, both junior and senior teams, to have the win/lost records over the last few years.

I commend those players and coaches who love the game and have the talent to play/coach at that level. Shame on those who stand in the way of those who should play/coach at that level.

Replies (46)

• Good post but I have to correct you on one thing. The Senior Legion co-coach Crosbey was given $1000 to coach the team by the two managers of the them and the other co-coach was guaranteed his High School players would make the team. Not passing judgment but you asked what the motivation was. I believe the Jr. Legion team coach just loves coaching. I do believe his son plays on the the team but I believe he has been coaching these teams for years not just one.

-- Posted by Interests Me on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 8:01 AM
  • Interests Me.....I will agree with you on one thing for sure...Coach Charlie on the Jr legion is an OUTSTANDING coach. He coaches to teach the game of baseball and politics is not a question. jarhead1776...U must be talking about the jr legion when u said the players miss games then step right back into there spots..bc Sr legion has playey almost all year with just 9 players.The Sikeston SR legion program is one of the worst in the area and has been for awhile.Alot of ppl was upset about the SCC players playing. Last night they had 11 players at game 5 of them was from SCC with out those guys Sr legion would not have a team. As far as Crosby getting paid for coaching...well all I can say is they threw that money away!

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 12:52 PM
  • I agree that Coach Charlie is a great coach. He wants to improve the Sikeston Legion program and I think he is doing a good job. I agree that you have to have players from the area to make up your team. One of the players from SCC was 1st team all conference this year along with 1st team all state. As a coach I would want the best of the best on my team. Look at Cape Legion. It is made up of kids from Kelly, Scott City, Notre Dame, Clearwater and Cape.

-- Posted by goodbaseball on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 1:38 PM
  • I was going to leave my statements to stand on their own merrit. But after the comment from SCC1990, I have to respond. I'm sorry but I don't agree with your comment about being an outstanding coach. Outstanding father for being part of his son's athletic career. Outstanding citizen for volunteering his time and sometimes money to keep this program going. Outstanding man for doing the job that others won't do or can't do for other reasons. Outstanding coach, unfortunatly, is not synonymous with the above group.

You can't fully teach that which you are not fully knowledgeable of. Just to mention two examples of mis managing, I have seen over the years, the game is tied, you are the visiting team on defense in the bottom of the 7th inning.

They have runner on 3rd and one out. What does he do? Infield and outfield play regular depth.

Slow grounder hit short, runner scores-game over.

Mis-management.

One more. Second inning. Runners on 1st and 2nd.

Coach calls for bunt. Batter squares to bunt but

thinks ball is low, pulls off. Catch throws to second and picks off runner, who had not waited to ball was bunted and got to far off base. Batter gets chewed out, pulled out of the game and replaced at his position with the man that got picked off. The man that was in the wrong got rewarded. This all took place in 2nd inning for crying out loud. There are more examples, but these two really stand out in my mind.

Outstanding father, citizen and man. Absolutely.

Outstanding coach. Not hardly.

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 2:19 PM
  • jarhead1776...I was not at game so i will have to go with you on Outstanding father,citizen and man that is trying to change the Legion program for the better. A town the size of Sikeston deserves to have a better program.

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 3:19 PM
  • I generally allow debate on coaching decisions, but this undoubtedly a personal discussion. I appreciate the civility with which it has been handled to this point, but let's be wary of where we're going.

I understand that there has been plenty of unrest in the Sikeston Legion program and am willing to facilitate some healthy discussion.

And now to assume the role of devil's advocate:

I have absolutely no knowledge of the ins-and-outs of this situation (though I was aware the team hadn't played regularly all summer)and no opinion about who is right or wrong, but I think attendance is an issue for any and all summer league teams.

Kids (rightfully so) go on vacations with their families, have other responsibilities (dreaded jobs) and other summer activities (basketball camp or baseball game?), etc. I don't necessarily think a kid should be punished for this by losing his spot in the lineup. But again, I don't know specific details pertaining to this team.

As for the coaching debates, major leaguers get picked off leaving too early on a bunt attempt from time to time...

As for the infield not being in, I'll give you that one uncontested if that was the case.

Alright, enough from me. :)

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 4:08 PM
  • Rachel i do have one thing to say about players missing games and/or practices for other reasons. I know for a fact that at most of the try-outs the coaches hand out forms that the players write down days that they know they will miss throughout the summer for FAMILY vacations etc. but these kids also know that they make a commitment to this summer team and missing for optional things like summer football or basketball camps is not something that they are supposed to skip legion games for. I know that there were kids from a few legion teams throughout the area that made it last year but were cut this year due to the fact that they missed so many games. You have to think about it for the long hall, say a team keeps 13 players 5 of which are pitchers, if just 1 pitcher gets hurt you are down to 4 which is hard enough to play in a tournament with. If another pitcher decides that he wants to go to football camp then the team is down to 3 pitchers in a district tournament that is double-elimination...there is no way to win that kid of tournament with 3 pitchers and that could ruin a teams state run.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 6:10 PM
  • Your are right about if it were not for SCC players they wouldn't have had a team, there were 5 from SCC baseball team. And I don't believe it was the SCC players that were the problem with the other players it was the fact that no matter how many errors were made they still played both games. They had set spots in the lineup, managers kids had set spots in the line up so that left room for two in which if you were not one of the Scott Central Coaches players or the Managers kids you had to take turns sitting out. Yes, so I heard about the ALL State Catcher but there others clearly were not the best in their position. It was just a chance for SCC's coach and Managers to help their players and sons get better. This is not what Legion is all about. This is why they only had 9 players nearly all summer. This why they can't get anyone to play for them. And this is why Sikeston Legion continues to go down. And this is the reason Sikeston players go elsewhere to play. In a why is is a good thing they only had 9 that way everyone got to play!

-- Posted by Interests Me on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 6:53 PM
  • Rachel,

Please understand the above comments are not intended to be a personal attack. It is just an observation and constructive criticism of a great program that has gone way down. The powers-to-be need to take a look at the selection process for players and coaches. Its time that the American Legion gets serious and put Sikeston baseball back on the map..

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 8:10 PM
  • If all of the Sikeston boys played Legion, like back in the day, this team would be tough. The fact is, PROSPECT Baseball KILLS Legion teams, especially Sikeston. If it wasn't for Prospect ball, you have an entirely different team. Don't blame the coaching, don't blame the city, blame Prospect Baseball. If this wasn't taking place, you can add Tyler Anderson, Drew Harper, Trent McMillian, and probably Cody Rice, Jason Issacs, Jordan Williams, and a few out of town kids that would have followed along.

This is the reason Sikeston Legion is not good. Better players want to paly for better teams, and players want to play with good players, which goes for the seniors or older players...

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 8:24 PM
  • Interest Me...if it will ease ur mind about the SCC players And Sikeston Legion... I know for a fact at least 3 maybe all 5 WILL NOT return next season.

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 9:16 PM
  • Bulldogs2010.....Sikeston Legion program and all there politics caused good ball players to move to PROSPECT Baseball. Look back in years past Blake Dewitt and Jacob Priday played PROSPECT Baseball!!!

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 9:20 PM
  • I understand, but I doubt every single Prospect Player in the state of Missouri plays prospect ball for the same reason. The BEST players will play prospect ball. Blake and Jake played Prospect ball to get noticed by colleges and pros, and to play the best competition, they did NOT switch to prospect ball because of the coaches. There is just more to offer for Prospect ball, and that's why the Legion team has suffered.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 9:38 PM
  • Prospect Baseball gives you more exposure to the big boys, Legion does not. That may not be the ONLY reason, but it is definently the biggest. I am not a huge fan of the Sikeston politics as well, I see your point there.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 9:40 PM
  • Who can blame any gifted ballplayer for wanting the chance to get noticed by colleges and pros. Anyone notice the cost of college or the salaries the pros receive? But you can't make me believe that in a three or four county area, Sikeston American Legion SL/JL teams can't field highly competitive teams.

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 10:30 PM
  • I was told that Blake did play some legion ball. Was this earlier in his career or just flase information?

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Jul 13, 2010, at 10:40 PM

It looks like SCC1990 is so close to the situation it is scary. Congrats to your HS team who finally won 7 games this year. Looks like King Limbaugh is the man, give him a standing ovation! Watch-out R. Cookson, I see some competition headed your way.

Looks like to me if all 5 of his players were as good as everyone thinks they were maybe their win/lose record would have been a little better. I believe Sikeston Legion folks need to take a long look at who they let take over the season. It is a bit ridiculous to let a HS Coach, Coach Legion on the stipulation that all his HS players get to come with him. That is obvious parents! As far as Sikeston not having enough players because of Prospect Ball that is not true. It is because of the Rep. Sikeston Legion has problems just like this situation. PB has plenty, Dunklin Cty sure isn't lacking prospect ball talent. The Nuts are loaded. lol had to through that in! So your arguments are going on where. Politics has hit Sikeston once again. Shame on you!

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 7:28 AM
  • I for one am very thankfull for Prospect Baseball. The fact is that the kids that want to play baseball on the next level such as college have to get noticed. Not all highschool coaches will go the extra mile for their players. I am not a fan of the Sikeston ploitics and it is not fair for the boys that work hard and give baseball their all.I have seen coaches in the past play their sons and sit others that are better in a certain spot. As you see with Sikeston Legion when you do things like that you don't have a winning team and you don't have boys that want to play for you.

-- Posted by goodbaseball on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 7:37 AM

Hoops...Meant to say YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE GOING NO WHERE. I have got to get a secretary. lol

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 7:37 AM
  • And when one of those SCC players went AWOL one weekend to go play for one of the local prospect teams I understand it caused a bit of an uproar and left Sikeston Sr Legion shorthanded. Why in the world would anyone even put together a summer team with only 12 or 13 players? Too much going on in the summer to think that there would not be times when a few boys were gone.

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 8:24 AM

I understand there were only a 10 or 11 left after some of the boys figured out what was going on. I also understand that some players left early on before the start of the season and went to other teams because of the "Sikeston has problems" rep hit and I also understand that an All-State player quit because of the favoritism. Comments being made about a "Secret Handshake" by SCC players and Limbaugh. What a fiasco! Sikeston Legion it is about time that you step in and better the program.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 9:12 AM
  • I really don't understand all the blame that seems to be put on the SCC players. The problems with Sikeston Legion started way before any of those players. First off is not Coach Limbaugh from Sikeston? It seems as if everyone wants to play the blame game. Sikeston Legion didn't get the rep it has over night and it won't be fixed in one summer. Favoritism has always been part of Sikeston baseball. It is a shame, because I think Sikeston has just as many talented boys as our surrounding areas.

-- Posted by goodbaseball on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 10:38 AM
  • Blam it on the ref is clueless...limbaugh showed up to bring his scc players to tryout and was then asked to coach. The whole season he has been the first base coach while Crosby makes the lineup everyday and is over at 3rd. He played for sikeston his whole life including junior and senior legion. Why would he want the program not to succeed? Limbaugh's high school season should not get bashed bc the sr legion team is struggling. Yes it is a plus that he is able to be with his scc players but what coach wouldn't want that opportunity. And this handshake thing is just hilarious. Obviously someone else must be a little more connected than scc1990. And to think a coach would get on a blog and bash his other coach is insane. Know the facts before you accuse.

-- Posted by Desoto2134 on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 11:12 AM
  • Blame it on the ref : If you have seen the Nuts play this year, they are anything but "loaded".

I can personally promise you if prospect ball was not taking over SEMO, Sikeston would have at least 6 more players, all whom started on Sikeston, and two Dexter players who were all conference.

It is definently a mixture of bad politics and lack of players, but you try to convince some good players to come play with a below-average team.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 1:03 PM
  • No one is blaming those kids they are blaming the politics. If it hurts your feelings about their skills then that is your problem.

Desoto, You need to asked the players about their secret handshake. They know all about it. It is true. Also it was quoted by Bohannon himself that it was one of the stipulations by Limbaugh that he brings his players with him. Who wouldn't want a spot on his coaches team and what coach wouldn't want to opportunity to make is players better for a better season the next yr.? Sure does make that coach look better too!

Come one people, no one has a summer team with only 11 or 12 players unless something is up. Do Baseball minds need to draw you a picture?

9 on a Team

Bohannon Manager's Son - 1

Underwood Manager's Son - 2

4 SCC Players - 6

1 SCC Player shows up after 3 DH scheduled games, never attended tryouts, starts and never sat out giving any rotation to any player. This was NOT the All-State Catcher either. - 7

2 spots open and the rest rotate. Hey, the boys that play all the time know it too I don't care how much you try to convince them they are the next babe ruth they know whats up. GET IT NOW???????????? duh As someone said. Shame on you Bohannon, Underwood, Crosby & Limbaugh! You guys Legion a bad name.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 1:03 PM

Bulldogs, LOADED as in enough players. and it was meant to be somewhat Of a joke. Legion and enter tournaments that prospect teams can they just have to play the schedule Legion games as well.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 1:07 PM

Desoto has got to be female. lol

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 1:08 PM
  • And blam it on the ref must be at least 12. Who cares if players that go to school together have a secret handshake? Did it hurt your feelings or something that you weren't included? I'm sure they would be more then happy to teach it to you. Bottom line...yes the legion program is not what it used to be and anyone with your ''baseball mind'' knows that prospect ball has played a part. These kids have chosen to play their weekends in dallas, tx or manhatten, ks playing at k-state rather then stayin in southeast Missouri. It's just hard for me to respect someone that says peoples names and bashes them under a nickname. Tell them personally if you feel that strongly about it. That'd be the MANly thing to do.

-- Posted by Desoto2134 on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 1:34 PM
  • Desoto.it is about.the team. But u just admitted to and proved the point.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 1:45 PM
  • BTW If you consider the thruth bashing then so be it. I guess it does hurt when the truth is in the open. Maybe next year legion will be better.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 1:57 PM
  • I didn't say anything that people didn't already know there norm. And I just know all 4 of those coaches and know that they all hate it that the team has struggled. Nobody wants to lose, so yea you could say I'm standing up for them.

-- Posted by Desoto2134 on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 3:25 PM
  • the reason why the sikeston legion program has gone down is the POLITICS if you have been to a game you would understand! What Matt Limbaugh is doing with the scc kids is just trying to make them better for next year and if u have been to a legion game not all Scc players plays every game.

-- Posted by basesloaded17 on Wed, Jul 14, 2010, at 11:23 PM

Well basesloaded I guess they'd have to if they only have 9 players. lol Isn't one a SR? or not?

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 8:33 AM

Mr. Limbaugh, Am. Legion ball is to make all players better not just one school even if it just so happens to be the one you were hired to coach. But then again it would make you look better.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 8:34 AM
  • All the scc players are Sr's 2011....Isnt Crosby the HEAD COACH???

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 8:42 AM
  • American Legion Baseball has been around since 1925. It has had its share of Major League players that graduated from this program. The list is far to great to list all, so I'll just list a few. Ted Williams, Stan "The Man" Musual, Bob Gibson, Johnny Bench, Bob Feller, Yogi Berra and yes Albert Pujols. Over 50 Hall of Famers. I wonder what they would think of Propect Ball. Not knocking Prospect Ball, just standing up for an American Tradition. If you are good enough, you are going to be noticed.

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 9:49 AM
  • jarhead1776...great post!

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 9:52 AM

Well SCC1990 if they are all going to be Sr's this coming year then that just proves the point!

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 10:29 AM
  • jarhead that was probably the best thing said in this whole thread. If you are good enough it doesn't matter who you are or who you play for you will get noticed.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Thu, Jul 15, 2010, at 12:19 PM
  • Congrates to the players andthe coaches on your 2 district wins. This program came a long way in a very short time!

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Sun, Jul 18, 2010, at 10:56 PM
  • In response to the jarhead thread about Sikeston Jr. Legion, I would like to clarify a few things. 1)runner on 3rd, 2 outs, infield back - I went back through the scorebook because I didn't remember this game. We lost 3 games with walk off hits. First game, runner on 2nd with 2 outs - centerfielder dropped a fly ball, run scores - game over; Second game, runner on 2nd, 2 outs, intentional walk, #4 hitter - next hitter grounds ball to 2nd -E4 - game over; Third game, runner on 2nd, no outs, basehit to CF, run scores - game over.

Next clarification - pulled kid in 2nd inning because he failed to bunt. #1- the ball was down the middle of the plate. My opinion - he just didn't want to bunt. Also, you forgot to mention the two fly balls he let drop in front of him because he wasn't hustling or the fact he was the relief pitcher that day and that I pulled him so if I needed him to get ready, he could - small details!

Next, your question about my motivation to coach? Good question! I have asked myself many times what sane man gets up at 3:30 a.m., works 11 hours, comes home at 4:00 p.m., change into uniform, get to the field to drag, rake, water and line the field for a game, coach for 5-6 hours, then after the game drag and rake, turn lights out, lock up, go home at 12:00 a.m., eat something and finally go to bed for a couple of hours. Yes, I guess I do all this just so my son will get playing time. You would think that the fact that he led the team in hits, RBI's, homeruns and tied for doubles, second in AVG & SLG, and 3rd in OBP, would be enough to get playing time. My son also had to help with all field work with me and sometimes could beg another player to help.

As far as kids at camps, vacation, etc. I encourage kids to play more than one sport & I don't penalize a kid for going to the camps or vacations.

You asked why Sikeston struggles in American Legion BB? Sure Prospect & traveling teams hurt. I can name at least 7 talented players that would have been playing on Jr. Legion. But the main reason, in my opinion, is most kids today are lazy. When is the last time you saw a group of kids playing Indian Ball, or taking batting practice in the cages? As a matter of fact, when was the last time you took your kid to the cage? Everybody thinks his kid is the next Blake Dewitt. I was lucky in that I coached Little League when Blake was growing up. Not only did I get to see how talented he was, I got to see how hard he worked to be that good. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel I did a good job coaching this year. I don't feel we played up to our potential and that's on me! But, I tried to teach the game and demand respect for the game and the umpires. But if that's not enough, let me know. I will gladly send you my key and let you put up with the crap and I'll go trout fishing next summer!

Oh yea, Blake Dewitt and Jacob Priday played Jr Legion 2 years and Sr. Legion 1 year.

-- Posted by Coach Charlie on Sun, Jul 18, 2010, at 11:28 PM
  • Coach Charlie, I would like to thank you and all other coaches that put in this amount of time and effort for a team. I have personally seen you and your son working on the field and getting everything ready, Jr Legion districts comes to mind fist because it just ended a week ago. I agree your son is a very good player and could tell that other teams and coaches respected his talent by the way they played him in the field. But everybody here should know that when a team does not do very good all the blame is placed on management because that is the first person people look to for answers.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jul 19, 2010, at 3:49 PM
  • I want all that read this forum comment, again, that my comments were not intented to personally attack anyone.

Coach Charlie, you have my sincere apology. I have prided myself in keeping my personal opinion to myself unless I was asked. I should have let my comments on July 13 and 15th be the only ones I made, if any.

You keep the keys, I'll do the fishing.

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Mon, Jul 19, 2010, at 7:41 PM
  • Congrats to Coach Charlie and every legion coach this year...The SR Legion team really played together as a team..not a half sikeston half scc half who ever. They played as the Sikeston Sr Legion team and it showed in the district tourn. Great job coaches and all players!

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Mon, Jul 19, 2010, at 9:48 PM
  • SCC1990 you know you always have a home in Sr. Babe Ruth. I know a coach that would love to have the SCC players next year.

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Tue, Jul 20, 2010, at 6:33 AM
  • As a parent of a baseball player I would like to Thank Coach Charlie for all he has done over the years with baseball. My son was coached by Charlie from pitching machine to jr legion and has great respect for him as a coach and a person. Thanks again Coach Charlie and good luck next year!

-- Posted by goodbaseball on Tue, Jul 20, 2010, at 12:06 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: