Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Flame-throwing High School Pitchers

Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 9:36 AM:

Okay, I was kind of bored so I thought I would create a thread asking you guys who is the hardest thrower that you have seen in Southeast Missouri (High School Only)?

Replies (64)

• Personally, the hardest thrower that I have ever seen come through Southeast Missouri was Ryan Modglin from Scott City. He was clocked as high as 94 mph as a senior in high school. Impressive.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 9:37 AM
  • I saw Modglin his Sr. year and Simmons his Sr. year (both from Scott City) and I thought Simmons actually threw harder than Modglin. Simmons was hitting 90. I never saw Modglin hit that high but heard he could. Also got to see Stevens from Bernie this year and by far the hardest I've seen this year.

-- Posted by deadred on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 10:03 AM
  • I have seen Stevens from Bernie throw several times and I would say he is in the high 80s at his best. What do you think?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 10:08 AM
  • high 80's, maybe touching 90 when I saw him.

-- Posted by deadred on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 10:38 AM
  • I am surprised that he signed to a juco. I know it is a highly ranked juco. However, shouldnt a bigger college like SEMO want him with him throwing as hard as he does?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 10:45 AM
  • SEMO was at the game looking at him when we played them.

-- Posted by deadred on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 11:13 AM
  • fan2010

You can read all about him on the Pro Day website. There may be several reasons why he dicided on juco in Florida other than a college around close. Go to www.prodaybaseball.com and maybe you will see how hard he throws, clocked by professional scouts with professional radar guns! Knowing Quinton I'm sure he and his family looked at every avenue on what was best for him and his future.

-- Posted by scoutone on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 11:17 AM
  • I have read his credentials on that website before. I believe it says he was clocked at 91 mph. Last time I spoke to him or his dad, they said he wanted to go to SEMO. I was just curious why SEMO did not offer him.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 11:31 AM
  • How do you know that haven't made an offer?

-- Posted by scoutone on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 11:42 AM
  • I dont. I just figured that if they did, he would be going there and not to a juco in Florida because last year I had the privilege of getting to speak to him and his dad and they both said that they would love for him to get the chance to play at SEMO.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 11:45 AM
  • I believe his parents would have liked to keep him as close to home as possible as would any parent but with him progressing the way he has believe me JUCO and Florida is the place for him now and the upcoming months. I would think SEMO would like to have him but knowing what has been offered to him in Florida he probably won't accept.

-- Posted by scoutone on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 11:58 AM
  • I have been told that he has already signed with the juco. Therefore, he would not be able to accept any other offers would he?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 12:29 PM
  • A player can sign with a JUCO and still sign up but cannot sign with another JUCO. If a player signs with a four year university he cannot sign anywhere else until he or she is released from that school.

-- Posted by scoutone on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 12:39 PM
  • Ooh, I did not know that. So in other words, if a player signs with a JUCO, that player can still go somewhere else after he/she already signed with that JUCO?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 12:55 PM

Back in the early 70s, Mark "Big Country" Littell from Gideon could bring it with the best of them. You may remember him as the closer for the Kansas City Royals and, later, with the St Louis Cardinals.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 3:26 PM
  • baseballfan2010

Are going to the SEMO Conference Tournament on Saturday to check out all the big name pitchers? We should sit with each other and talk baseball. I'd love to meet you.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 6:32 PM
  • Draw

I would but I am actually considering attending the tournament in Chaffee this weekend (weather permitting of course). There is a chance that I might get to see a few big name pitchers that I have yet to see in the past couple years like Andrew Dooley from Chaffee or Cody Kennedy from Meadow Heights.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 7:53 PM
  • Earl Wheeler around 1987-88 for Dexter could bring some gas. He went on to play for Oklahoma State. It's funny to read comments about pitchers speeds. They are almost always inflated for one reason or another. If you see some kid really, really bringing it at a game, it is mostly like low 80s. This talk of high 80s, even 90 mph talk, well, I guess I would like to see the gun myself. That brings up another topic. I haven't educated myself on it lately, but it used to be that the type of gun used actually played into the debate. There were two kinds back in the 80s and 90s, the JUGS gun and I forgot the other one. One of them was notorious for registering higher speeds. If you do a little research you will find that the average Major League pitcher fastball is just under 92 mph. It would be pretty rare for a high school kid to be hitting high 80s or very very rare to hit 90, that is approaching major league standards.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 8:32 PM
  • Based on what I know, the JUGS guns tend to be the most accurate.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 8:51 PM
  • baseballfan2010

Meadow Heights is in the Chaffee tournament? When were they added to the tournament? I didn't know they were making the tournament up this weekend. deadred . . . Is this true?

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 9:17 PM
  • This weekend is a different tournament, a round-robin with Chaffee, Puxico, Meadow Heights, and St. Vincent. The Round-robin always follows the weekend after the Red Devil Classic in hopes that it does not rain at least one of them out. Does not look good though for Saturday especially. Not sure why but, if either is rained out, they never make up the games.

I know there are 3 games Friday, not sure of the schedule but I know Chaffee vs Meadow Heights is the last game at 7:45.

-- Posted by deadred on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 9:27 PM
  • Great Fun

Although I have not been back in this area long enough to recognize the names of these young men, I do totally agree with you on the speeds of high school pitchers. Most of them would be very disappointed to know how fast (or slow) they really are. So would their parents. If a high school kid is throwing in the low to mid 90's, word would travel fast and you would have alot of "out of towners" come to watch them play. These folks would have their own guns and know how to use them. It is what they do for a living. They have heard all the bull **** and are not easily impressed by hear say. They are easily recognized by their clothing, demeanor, and a gaggle of local "know it all dads" clinging to their every movement. If these kids are really throwing that hard the major league scouts and their teams would draft these kids right out of high school....NO questions asked.

-- Posted by redhawk1 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 9:41 PM
  • Well said redhawk1, I completely agree!

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 9:45 PM
  • red

Hate to prove you and 2010 wrong but, most scouts you will never know if there at a game or not. They will not dress in uniform simply for the reason they (I agree) don't like for a bunch of parents around. The scout at Bernie the other day was not in uniform and was not in uniform the last time he looked at the athlete ( western attire). Do you even know about how some pros clock pitcher? which type of radar gun they use? I believe the scout at Bernie had no radar gun but another means of clocking pitchers. Do you know how high school players get drafted if their good enough?

-- Posted by scoutone on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 10:28 PM
  • scoutone I have been around baseball for many years in various parts of this great country. It is all the same. The scouts do not mind talking to parents and to baseball fans alike. It's a profession they like and are very good at it. As for clocking pitches with anything thing other than a "gun", beware of scout wanna-b's useing stop watches...what a joke!!! If anyone has their doubts of a legit scout, look in the baseball directory under the team he is supposedly representing. If his name is not in there he is just another wanna-b getting some poor kids hopes up...(with a cowboy hat on)

-- Posted by redhawk1 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 11:38 PM
  • wrong again red, he may just be a bird dog scout but he is a scout who reports to a supervisor. The first thing a potential high school draftee has to have is his/her name turned into MLB (which has already been done), they have to graduate, a scout even as low as a (bird dog scout) looks at a prospect if he likes them he will them report them to his supervisor, they will then look at the kid themselves, if they like what they see they will them report to their superior and then could possibly be placed on the draft board. Once their name is turned into MLB they are on the radar of every pro-team in the nation. There are 2 different radar guns to clock a pitcher. One is clocked 2 feet from the time they release the ball and the other is behind home plate. Some smaller scouts will not use a radar at all because it draws attention so he will use a stop watch instead, just like they use when clocking a catcher's pop time from home to 2nd base. Oh there is another scout on their way humm, sorry!!!

-- Posted by scoutone on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 12:35 AM
  • "Oh there is another scout on their way humm, sorry!!!"

There is going to be a major league baseball scout at one of Bernie's games scoutone? This is definitely a historic time for the Bernie baseball program. When? Can you reveal the date or do you have to keep it a secret? Do you have inside information on when the scout will make an appearance? Would you be willing to share this information off the record?

baseballfan2010

Do you ever attend Bernie's baseball games or do you live in the south near the beach?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 12:52 AM
  • baseballfan2010

Are you even from Missouri? You seem to follow baseball nationally. Am I correct?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 12:54 AM
  • LOL, No I am from Missouri. I dont think I have ever even been near the south except for maybe way back when I cant even remember haha. I attend Bernie games sometimes, not often, but sometimes.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 6:11 AM
  • I heard that if you signed with a junior college you are then eligible to be drafted directly into the majors. if you join a Division 1 college and sign then you are not eligible for major league draft. does anyone know the truth about this?

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 8:22 AM
  • I have never heard of any pitcher from Southeast Missouri ever legitimately hitting 90 until Ryan Modglin. I've seen a few that I thought were hitting mid to upper 80s at the most, but Modglin is the only one I've heard that was a legit 90 guy. The only one that I've seen hit 90 with my own eyes was Ozark's Lucas Harrell against Sikeston in the state semifinals a few years back. He was hitting 92 to 93 that day. He was drafted pretty high by the Giants I believe.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 8:43 AM
  • Ervin "Slick" Collier was a hard thrower for NMCC and was followed by Matt Gilmer in the early '90s. Slick hit 90 and was drafted by the Mets. Matt could hit mid to high 80s and went on the play college ball Missouri State. I remember being a kid and watching Slick pitch against Flat River (Park Hills Central) in the state playoffs and the scouts sitting behind home plate with the radar guns. There were about 5 or 6 scouts that day in attendance. Modglin also attracted the scouts with radar guns behind home plate. I'm surprised more haven't come to see Stevens.

BMuleFan if you sign juco, after your freshman year you are elgible for the draft. If you go to a four year university you are not elgible for the draft until after your junior year.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 9:50 AM
  • Thanks coachpanther. I think this may be why Quinton Stevens is signing juco maybe for possible chance at early draft selection. the Welch kid signed with SIU so he would not be eligible for draft till after junior year. i know both of them have alot of work to do but they are both also very talented. I'm sure more scouts may come if they get to state playoffs.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 1:19 PM
  • mulefan

do you think bernie can win their district, if so what are their chances of getting to state playoffs?

-- Posted by scoutone on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 3:14 PM
  • scoutone

Chaffee is the most underrated team in Southeast Missouri. If Chaffee gets past Bernie in districts I would consider Chaffee the favorite to advance to state in Class 1. Bernie is the favorite in Class 1. However, Chaffee is not far behind Bernie and we haven't heard much talk about Chaffee advancing to state. Everyone is concerned about Cooter. Cooter is very good. But based on what I have seen so far Chaffee could be the greatest threat to Bernie. However, both Cooter and Chaffee are capable of beating Bernie in one game. But I think Chaffee is much better than their record.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 3:32 PM
  • And NEVER NEVER NEVER count out Oran. Oran has great coaching and you never overlook teams with great coaching.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 3:33 PM
  • scoutone

Bernie without a doubt should win their districts. I believe they should also make an appearance in the final 4 at state. I agree with drawmules, Bernie has beaten Cooter and Chaffee both this year but anything can happen with a good pitcher on the mound.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 4:20 PM
  • It is really difficult to talk in terms of 'should,' especially in baseball, regardless of what level. Good example is Southeast Mo State beating a juggernaut like SEC power Alabama, Miss State, etc. the past few years. I would go out on a limb and say the chances of that happening in a sport like basketball are extremely small, but in baseball it can happen. Soooo, 'should' in baseball....Hmmm, I see your point, these are good teams, but..... You get the idea. ND 'should' advance to state, but it will be difficult for them to get out of districts if the other team has an ace on the mound. There is no 'should' in baseball.

Draw, I had no idea that Chaffee is that sound. Let's not forgot that in postseason, you WILL face another teams ace. Odds are neither of these teams (Bernie/Chaffee) will win state. Just saying.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 7:57 PM
  • Sorry, I see that you said "advance to state." Big difference in saying they should 'win' state. Sorry about that. There is a big distinction. Winning state means you almost HAVE to have 2 ace pitchers which almost certainly the other team will have. An ace pitcher can get your team there often, two ace pitchers are the key to winning it, often.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 8:00 PM
  • GreatFun

I disagree to some extent. Last year it was no secret Cooter was the favorite to advance to state. They made it. The two years before that Oran was a clear favorite. They made it. This year Bernie is a favorite and Chaffee has the best shot to beat Bernie based on how the playoffs and pitching matchups could go. I'm not declaring anyone from Southeast Missouri will win state. I do not believe a Class 1 team from Southeast Missouri has won the state title in the last eight years.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 8:02 PM
  • Yes, I see your point. So in class 3, who should advance? Realizing Southeast Mo has a shortage on class 4 teams, I'll give you a break on that prediction :o)

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 8:16 PM
  • Why does the Southeast Missouri area compete well in the state tournaments in basketball and volleyball but not as much in baseball?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 8:16 PM
  • well cape notre damne won last yr. where are they from?????lol

-- Posted by long ago on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 9:45 PM
  • long ago

Notre Dame competes well in every sport every year.

Smaller schools traditionally struggle at the state tournament. Scott City did win a state title a few years ago. This is the only Class 1 or Class 2 school I recall winning the state tournament since I have followed baseball in Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 9:52 PM
  • drawmules..

Thanks for the props to Chaffee. We are a young team but have 4 quality pitchers. The boys definately think they can win districts. And if they don't this year, I'm already looking forward to next year. We only lose 1 senior and none of our pitching. We have 1 Sr, 3 Jr, 4 Soph, and 1 Fr starting this year so like a lot of small schools this year, we are young. Looking forward to the Oran game which is next Friday (5/7) at Chaffee. Should tell a lot about how things may go at districts.

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 10:53 PM
  • deadred

Do you have any games scheduled for eary next week?

-- Posted by scoutone on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 11:27 PM
  • Chaffee plays at NMCC on Tuesday and Saxony Lutheran on Thursday then Oran at Chaffee Friday.

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 11:30 PM
  • Thank you.

-- Posted by scoutone on Fri, Apr 30, 2010, at 11:33 PM
  • "Why does the Southeast Missouri area compete well in the state tournaments in basketball and volleyball but not as much in baseball?"

The only team that can compete in Southeast Missouri is Notre Dame and well we all know why.............

But for the rest of us, we play each other down here and sorry, but most teams are avg. at best.

The 3A and 4A schools in the city that are playing each other, play someone very competitive every day and most of them have more than 1 stud pitcher. So they will pound an avg. pitcher in the playoffs, but in southeast Missouri you will be lucky if you get 1 pitcher that can really pitch.

Simple fact, look at the teams that advance in playoffs they have more than 1 pitcher. Notre Dame may run into that problem a little farther into the playoffs this year, unless they pray for rain in between so Young can pitch all the games. I have seen that before!!

-- Posted by tlks2much on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 9:50 AM
  • Personally, that is why I think Bernie could very easily end up being upset early in the state playoffs if they get past districts and Im not completely sold on that either. Chaffee and Oran could give them lots of problems because Stevens is more than likely not going to pitch until the District Champ. game and even if Bernie does decide to pitch Stevens in the district semis. then they will more than likely be facing either Chaffee or Oran in the finals without being able to throw Stevens.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 10:27 AM
  • Bernie is my team but you are right. Whoever executes on any given day will win. We were not supposed to be in the championship game in basketball either but we were and almost won.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 12:33 PM
  • BMuleFan

I disagree with your thoughts regarding basketball. Bernie was projected to be in the state finals in basketball. Bernie never played a team ranked higher in their class in basketball before the state finals. Van Buren, Hayti, Oak Ridge and Eskridge were ranked below Bernie. Sturgeon was ranked above Bernie.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 1:26 PM
  • baseballfan2010

Bernie has other pitchers capable of winning the district semifinals and state quarterfinals. I think Bernie has four or five pitchers the could beat Scott County Central, Bell City, and Leopold. Oak Ridge might be interesting if they can put their ace on the mound against Befnie. Stevens will be needed against Chaffee and perhaps Cooter. But the playoffs stack up for Stevens to be available in both games. Chaffee has the best chance to beat Bernie. Cooter has the second best chance. Oak Ridge has the third best chance if they can put their ace on the mound. Hoewever, if Chaffee pitches their ace against Oran Bernie's chances of beating Chaffee go up significantly. Bell City has a pitcher that can beat Bernie if Bell City can score runs. But nobody hits like Bernie. This is why I like their chances. Bernie has hitting and perhaps the best pitcher at a Class 1 school in the state of Missouri.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 1:36 PM
  • I agree. Bernie can really hit. I don't know how the playoff brackets will be set up as far as when Stevens will be able to throw, but in Class 1 baseball, an ace like that can take you a long way. I definately think Bernie is beatable, though. Does Bernie have any other above average pitchers that could throw some of the games that Stevens can't and still give their team a good chance of winning? I haven't really seen Bernie play much.

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 1:52 PM
  • Does anyone know who Bell City's ace pitcher is?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 2:12 PM
  • sportsaholic

Bernie has only lost three games this year. Bernie has other pitchers. Owens has already won games gainst Cooter and Leopold. Shelton won games against Greenville and Neelyville. Keasler and Johnson also have wins.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 2:30 PM
  • sports

Bernie's pitching has really come alive these last few games. Keasler has been pretty consistant all season, Owens pitched a really good game his last outing, Johnson only a sophmore porbably has the best velocity behind Stevens on the team, Shelton not really a fastball thrower but has a really nice curve and with the defense that stacks up behind him while he is pitching makes him pretty effective, Woods a lefty hasn't pitched much yet but can deliver for strikes to changed things up and we also have a freshman Hatchel who throws for strikes. So I feel really good as far as pitching as long as we throw the right man in the right game.

-- Posted by scoutone on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 5:03 PM
  • drawmules

I guess you are right about the basketball. you also have great insight to the 2 very good and 3 good bernie pitchers. Good hitting is also a plus for them to get to state and be successful.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 6:58 PM
  • As far as the flame-throwing high school pitchers, did anyone see Garrett Broshuis pitch in high school? He went to Advance, was all-state his junior and senior years, and went on to pitch for Mizzou and in the San Fransico Giants minor league system for several years before just recently retiring to pursue a career in law. Did anyone see him pitch in high school?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 10:03 PM
  • I saw him pitch.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, May 1, 2010, at 10:03 PM
  • I heard a lot about him but I never got to see him, what all did he have?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, May 2, 2010, at 10:11 AM
  • I came across this site and forum and had to say....MY SON, JAKE SEILER,III. PITCHED 94 MPH FASTBALL, LEFT HANDED PITCHER FROM REEDS SPRING HIGH SCHOOL 1988-1992.

-- Posted by PROUDESTMOM on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 12:17 PM
  • I always heard his biggest asset was between his ears. He was a pitcher and not a thrower.

-- Posted by deervalley on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 12:50 PM
  • Didnt there use to be a pitcher from Doniphan a couple years ago that could throw in the high 80s?? I dont remember his full name but I think his last name was Keeney.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 11:46 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: