Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: When should a team back off

Posted by bobma2000 on Mon, Feb 20, 2017, at 9:13 PM:

Just saw the final for the Marquand-Zion/Advance game It was 110 to 19. A 91 point lead That's 91 points.I get it. It's district playoffs Advance is a number one seed vs. the eight seed. Kids are pumped and they want to show everybody just how good of a team they are.I didn't see the game and have no horse in this race.This is where the coach should steps in. Now I'll get complaints about he play all the second stringers and how do you tell them to stop scoring Advance scored 3.5 points every minute when I'm pretty sure the clock ran the whole time in the 4th quarter. Good coaches know how to play the stall game. I've argue this point before. High school baseball has a 10 run rule after five innings Basketball should change the 30 point rule I think once a team gets a 45 point lead in the first half the game should be over, 40 point lead in the second half the game should be over

Replies (61)

• I had to look at that score twice to make sure I was seeing right. I didn't see the game got there at last minutes was told starters played until half then jv played second half. Wonder what the score was at half?

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Feb 20, 2017, at 9:20 PM
  • Let them play we don't need anymore silly rules. Did fine without the turbo clock all those years

-- Posted by Bootheelbball on Mon, Feb 20, 2017, at 9:26 PM
  • The winning coach should use this time wisely to get some kids more playing time that normally don't get much. Sometimes that's the only way those kids play. I think Advance only has 8 I believe so that's a little different.

-- Posted by Bootheelbball on Mon, Feb 20, 2017, at 9:34 PM
  • Because calling the game in the first half or the other team stalling with the ball with their bench players is so much less humiliating than just getting your tail whipped?

-- Posted by The Deuce on Mon, Feb 20, 2017, at 9:39 PM

Advance brought up almost their entire JV team for this game and they played nearly the whole 2nd half. It was 65-15 at halftime and they outscored Marquand 45-4 in the 2nd half and most of that was JV.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Feb 20, 2017, at 9:49 PM
  • Stay classy Advance. Don't let people fool you, Mayo and another starter were still in the game with 4 minutes to go in the 4th.

-- Posted by El Burro on Mon, Feb 20, 2017, at 11:13 PM

That's a hell of a lot of Runs scored!!! I would hate to see all of the pitcher's ERA after this game! WOW!

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 7:05 AM
  • Football to Basketball. Malden is to Advance(Classless) as Kelly is to Marquand(Helpless)= Winners(Us) over Whiners(You)

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 7:06 AM
  • Bill, you completely miss the point, hopefully you are joking.

These are not professional athletes, and almost none of them will play college athletics. At the end of the day, these students should be learning something from participating in high school athletics.

The players are not making the decision to do these kinds of things, the adult coaches are. Are they not in a position to teach compassion as well as the pursuit of a championship? Would Advance be any less prepared for their game tonight had they held the ball a little in the second half?

I don't think I've ever heard a coach say, "well, we lost tonight because we took our foot off the gas last night and only scored 80 instead of 120."

At the end of the day, the responsibility is on the administration at Advance to control their coach if he is not able to control himself. The administration are the ones who are supposed to be setting the example for their students, staff, and community. Why in the world would you be okay with this as a Principal or Superintendent.

-- Posted by El Burro on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 7:21 AM
  • Its the same thing every year when a team gets beat this badly. Advance should show class in terms of who they're playing and how they're playing. However, if they have the bench kids that never get to play, in the game, those kids should be allowed to play a little.

We live in a soft society. The kids at Marquand are that bad at basketball for a reason. They don't work at it enough. Nothing against them, but I doubt they're that worried about it this morning. We, as people, care about the things we invest in. They obviously haven't invested much time in basketball over the years. If they don't care, people with no affiliation to the school should care.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 7:24 AM
  • asdf1234, don't confuse what Advance does to actual basketball, because they definitely don't play it....There is a fine line to the question at hand but I didn't see the game. If they truly played their JV in the second half and were not pressing, then I don't really have a problem with it.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 7:38 AM
  • Marquand should have just forfeited before the game, in all actuality

-- Posted by yaeger on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 7:46 AM

I was at the game. I saw the whole game. I doubt most people on this forum even saw the game. Did Advance play hard? Yes. They didnt press in the second half but they still played hard defense. The problem was Marquand quit. Period. The players didnt even hardly make it past half court. They acted defeated and thus they were. They probably turned the ball over 35 times in the game. I agree Advance should have played some of their starters less. But the JV played primarily the second half. And if a starter was in, they were not looking for their shot, but instead passing it to younger players. Advance definitely didnt get better by playing yesterday, but that was the hand that was drawn to them. Marquand only had 6 players. They just couldnt run up and down the court with Advance.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 8:16 AM

So for the record, I dont think they did anything classless.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 8:56 AM

If you are up 50 you don't call timeout with 40 seconds left no matter what the situation.

-- Posted by Stuart on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 9:37 AM
  • ozzyandharriet....And there is one huge problem You say Marquand doesn't work at it enough. Well maybe Marquand works as hard as is allowed under MSHSAA rules. Advance works at it to the degree where maybe they are violating MSHSAA rules about practices. You say we live in a soft society and that is true but we also live in a society where rules are set and should be followed. When rules aren't followed then the rule breaker have an unfair advantage.

-- Posted by bobma2000 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:31 AM
  • Good lord. Why do we go over this every year? There are good teams, and there are bad teams. I would take it more as an insult if I was on a bad team and knew the other team was trying not to score.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:33 AM
  • Bob, do you have anything to add as far as advance cheating?

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:34 AM
  • The community at Advance supports a "win at all costs" program. Once the talent is dry, nothing will be left behind. Watch it happen.

-- Posted by Triple on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:38 AM

Why are you spreading slime and lies about a program? There is no basis to that statement. How about we support our local teams not bash them. I for one want to see the best out of our teams.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:43 AM
  • There are plenty of examples. Just ask them!

-- Posted by Triple on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:47 AM
  • Bobmaa- Works as hard as can be allowed under MSHSAA rules? I wasn't aware that MSHSAA regulated the amount of time that a kid could got to a basketball court at the park or out in their driveway and work on their game? Get over your self-righteous self. Practicing illegally has nothing to do with why a team can only score 19 points in a game. Ridiculous, as usual.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:58 AM
  • Vanduser That's a B.S. answer If you're on the losing side and your down by 90 you're insulted already. You just want the end to come fast You're like many others that are rooting for the winning teams Like Harlem Globetrotters fans you are there to be entertain by watching the better team destroy the other team. Like the Romans cheering for the lions against the Gladiators Once again all I'm really saying is that basketball should adopt a mercy rule like in baseball. Once one team is up by a certain amount of points the game should by called No matter how much time is left on the clock

-- Posted by bobma2000 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:58 AM

Have a feeling a number of these Advance nae sayers are fans of teams that have felt the wrath of a Hornet's sting this season

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 11:00 AM

You play to win the game. If the team only has 6 players there is only so much you can do.

Also, if the JV plays the entire second half what are you gonna do? Tell them to pass it around? Don't try! This is your only game, but you can't try! No, they have the right to play hard as well.

Personally, I feel that as a coach a game like that should be used to work on your offensive plays that you struggle with. Perhaps you have a set that never seems to quite work right. Run it against a defense, make them go all the way through it at least once, and then play. Maybe all they need to see is that set actually can work before it becomes really useful.

If we wanna be really "don't hurt anyone's feelings" then the coach could make them pass at least 12 times or so before a shot is taken or they come out. Someone will always be upset though, no way to make everyone happy.

Thus, as long as Advance wasn't still pressing and starters weren't in; I say they're fine.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 11:39 AM
  • I do want to say something that has nothing to do with this post but the girl from Lebanon, I think that's who Bell City played, did an awesome job playing with the guys.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 11:47 AM

TFA, it was Leopold and yes she does do a good job with the boys!

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 12:04 PM
  • I knew it started with a L thanks I'm kinda forgetful lol

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 3:21 PM
  • TFA let me know if your coming up Monday I'll be around!

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 3:38 PM
  • I plan on being there since we have a 6:00 game

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 4:14 PM
  • What time will they let us in gym do u know?

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 4:17 PM
  • What time is your game 7? I believe they open the doors 1 hr before tipoff!

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 4:26 PM
  • Game is at 6 and thank you I will try my best to be there by 5

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 4:34 PM
  • No bobma, it's not a bs answer. It is the truth. It would embarrass me as a player to hear the other coach making his team go easy on me. It is a competition. You learn from winning and you learn from losing. It is that simple.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Tue, Feb 21, 2017, at 10:55 PM

So Advance scored 99 pts in a semifinal win against Oak Ridge. Did the run up the score against them to? Should they have taken it easy on them?

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Wed, Feb 22, 2017, at 6:07 AM
  • Are you trying to stir the pot a little? I think you know the answer to your own question.

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Feb 22, 2017, at 7:12 AM

I know the answer, but apparently others do not BonScott.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Wed, Feb 22, 2017, at 7:36 AM
  • Since this is posted in a baseball forum I would agree that 110 runs is a LOT.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Feb 22, 2017, at 8:57 PM
  • I heard today (true story!) a local H.S. quiz bowl team defeated their opponent 130-0. Should they have began intentionally missing questions?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Feb 22, 2017, at 10:02 PM

semo7178 clearly they should have completely quit answering. Maybe even lay off the buzzer!

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Wed, Feb 22, 2017, at 10:31 PM
  • You should take some lessons in sportsmanship and ethics.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Mar 10, 2017, at 10:51 AM
  • So as your team is winning 300-0, it would be OK for my team to undercut one of your guys and tear up his knee. NO mercy, baby, nobody is suppose to feel sorry for you either.

It's like what would happen in baseball - if you are still stealing bases with a 10 run lead, then the batter be ready for a fastball coming at his head.

Sportsmanship can work both ways.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Mar 10, 2017, at 11:44 AM
  • Spoken like a Trump lamb being led to slaughter.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Mar 10, 2017, at 12:22 PM
  • Where's the love? Just stop it.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Mar 10, 2017, at 9:55 PM
  • Great job by Donald on the Obamacare replacement bills, or Trumpcare. His great idea is reducing the tax credits for incomes under $30K costing the poorest Americans $6K per year in tax credits, and increase tax credits for incomes over $200K, and reducing Medicare. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. During the campaign he promise the first thing he would do was repeal Obamacare and he had the solution all figured out. Lies, lies, lies. He didn't have a clue on what to do with health coverage, so he makes a couple modifications to benefit the rich.

He just makes stuff up. 3 to 5 million illegal votes. Proof?? None. Obama wiretapped him? Proof? None

Try to refute McLovin. This is the tip of the iceberg. Get ready for 4 years of this idiocity with Trump.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 11:54 AM
  • I thought this website was about sports?? Guess I accidentally got on "The Talk" with the way you girls are fighting.

-- Posted by Sport Observer on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 12:30 PM
  • Just don't throw any chairs.

-- Posted by BBUBET on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 2:47 PM
  • Bogey,

I appreciate your insight on basketball, but since you continue to make this political, I'll bite....Those folks making under 30K are already getting a tax break. And can you point to the part of the Constitution where it says the federal government should provide health insurance and tax credits? I'll be waiting.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 3:26 PM
  • I accept your apology. I takes a big person to acknowledge when he or she is wrong.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 7:51 PM
  • Under Trump's plan, Americans making $30K single/$75K couple will LOSE $6K in tax credit, and cuts to Medicare, while providing more tax breaks to those earning over $200K. Most things in our everyday life aren't covered in the constitution - free education, bridges, roads, safe working conditions, air quality, foreign aid, subsidies, corporate bailouts, and walls along the border!! Aren't you tired of getting fleeced by the entire health insurance and medical industry? The only thing preventing universal health care is there are too many people getting rich off it. Trump campaigned that he had the answer. Remember "Trust me". His own party isn't buying it.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 9:28 PM
  • Actually roads, bridges, and border walls are, but the other stuff is not, which is why the federal government should get out of the way. Trump may not have been the best choice, but he is way better than the alternative.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 9:53 PM
  • We should hijack one of the categories at the bottom that never get used for political debates. I get a kick out of the political site on MoSports.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 8:01 AM
  • Lol. I agree....Now it's time to enjoy the greatest sporting event ever; the NCAA Tournament. Cheers!🍻

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 8:13 AM
  • It's not enough too many sports programs I watch decide to go "political," now it has to invade a "high school basketball" forum? Please go back to CNN/FOX/ABC/CBS/MSNBC, for that!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 9:36 AM
  • I totally agree semo7178. I haven't watched an episode of Sportscenter in over 5 years for that reason. My apologies! :)

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 10:14 AM
  • Don't read if not interested. Very easy to skip.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 11:25 AM
  • Bogey Man, also very easy to post on high sports forums "without" promoting one's political views!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 12:38 PM
  • I personally think politics should be left out of sports

-- Posted by grizzliesfan348 on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 1:00 PM
  • Amen, grizzliesfan348!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 6:05 PM
  • If you notice, I only respond when someone else brings up politics. Just calling out others on their political views when they open the can.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 8:47 PM
  • Anyways, back to the topic

-- Posted by grizzliesfan348 on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 10:55 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: