Semoball

Other College Sports Discussion: 2014 NBA Draft

Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 1:39 PM:

I figured I would make a thread so that anyone that wanted to discuss college players entering the draft could. It also gives me a place to keep track of all the draft news. This will be a pretty good draft, with some great things to talk about. I don't think it is going to be this awesome draft that everyone thought it would be with the next lebron, Dwade, Anthony, and bosh. But it does have the potential to have a couple all-stars in my opinion. A few notable people have already declared for the draft:

Joel Emiid

Andrew Wiggins

Marcus Smart

Mizzou players Jabari Brown and Jordan Clarkson

Replies (223)

Brown is exploring his draft stock but has yet to declare.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 1:49 PM

ah gotcha! Would be nice for yall if he comes back. What is his stock!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 2:00 PM

Seen where Randall has yet to decide too, would be huge for uk. Are the twins for sure staying?

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 3:47 PM
  • Thought i saw where brown is rated anywhere from 47 to 72 on draft boards, but dont quote me in that

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 3:56 PM

Yeah I think Randle is gone, just waiting till the weekend to talk with his mom. The Twins I'm torn on, I really don't know. I'm leaning 60% they go, 40% they stay

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 4:07 PM

Earlier in the year you saw a lot of Clarkson 18 and Jabari 19 but that has cooled. It looks like Clarkson is late first round and Jabari is a deep second rounder

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 4:10 PM

Looks like Tennessee's Jarnell Stokes will have a press conference tomorrow to announce that he's declaring for the draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 10:43 PM

I think Brown could drastically improve his draft stock if he came back one more year for Mizzou. It could put him in as a definite first rounder as he would be the primary scorer for the Tigers next year.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 8:55 AM

Good point yah-yah. It seems like recruits fail to see long term success sometimes. A NBA career is better than a quick contract.

Stokes ripped the NCAA pretty good today saying how he doesn't like that his jersey gets sold in the mall there for $100 and how that would pay his monthly cell phone bill that he can't afford. Amen! Something needs to happen, just don't know what the magic solution is. But it's not what is going on now IMO.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 12:58 PM

Napier made a similar comment about all the people wearing his jersey but that he can't even afford food a lot of time.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 12:59 PM

I don't know if Brown would specifically get better( lots of scouts think they have the book written on his athleticism and offensive skill) but could learn and improve his defense which improve his stock.

The biggest thing is that the class next year will be less deep and he would move up solely based off that.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 1:38 PM
  • Do the jerseys have their name on them because most of the time college jerseys that I've seen don't. I also think they should get a stipend to have some extra spending money but some people are talking like they should be really getting paid and I don't agree with that.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 2:05 PM

Well the jerseys have their number so it's obvious whose jersey they are buying.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 2:12 PM
  • Well I know that but that's why they don't put names on the back so they aren't actually selling the name of the players.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 2:58 PM

Legally yes but honestly they aren't Tennessee number 5( or whatever his number is) they are buying it because of him. If that weren't the case than all jerseys would be sold at an equal rate which just isn't the case.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 3:07 PM
  • I agree and like I said they do need to include some extra spending money for them but I guess what bothers me the most is a lot of these guys think they should be really getting paid. Well the free education they're getting is pretty good paycheck on top of all the free shoes, clothes and backpacks and what ever else the school is giving them and that's not counting how much money the boosters hand over to them when they need something.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 9:30 AM

Shout out to Otto for the 9 points, 9 rebounds last night. Also played the 6th most minutes. And Wizards are going to be in the playoffs.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 11:56 AM

Duke's Parker won't decide till next week. He also stated that all those rumors that he had already applied for Sophomore housing are absolutely false.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 12:11 PM
  • Just been wondering about Otto, hadnt heard much lately. Is he completely healthy now or still a little gimpy?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 12:28 PM

I know he got a monster dunk the other night but basically he is getting his legs under him during a playoff run so that will be tough for him to make a huge impact.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 12:56 PM

Starting to hear a lot of rumors that Willie Cauley-Stein returns. That would be pretty huge.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Apr 13, 2014, at 8:04 PM

Cal making the rounds today (CBS, Dan Patrick, ESPN, etc.). I'm hearing Marcus Lee will be back (that comes from his brother). Which is good, I would have been surprised if he went, but all the experts are saying that NBA scouts said all 8 Kentucky players would be drafted. Lee would give a new definition to one-and-done, one good game and done haha. Cal said on the DP Show of the 8 he doesn't know how many come back. On the commercial break he said he thinks less than 5 go to the draft. Lord I hope so!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 10:12 AM

Well it wouldn't be completely unprecedented I mean didn't Kyrie Irving play less than 10 games at Duke? He also never played a conference game or a tournament game.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 10:23 AM

Yeah your right about that. Thats just crazy. Another reason why the rule needs to be evaluted, Kyrie probably could have gone out of high school, college realistically guys probably didn't do a lot for him.

Cal was also championing to get rid of the one and done rule all day. I try to tell people that critize him about it, and call him cheat and that he pushes guys out it just not true. He hates the rule. He is a masterful recruiter. If they changed the rule he would have these guys for two years, so why wouldn't he want to change it. He's not a fan of the rule, he just makes the most of it. Lots of people critize him, but they are just jealous that they didn't get the recruit. Because I can almost garuntee that that one and done player that leaves, whoever your favorite team probably offered him as well, it's just Cal got him.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 10:43 AM
  • just whot are you talkin bout Bok Major about couch Col bein a good reciruiter Bucko? he gits these felleas that sty one year a d leav for the nbaa bub.

Bunk just who is kylie irnvving Bucko? he plays at Doke doesn not he bub?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 11:02 AM
  • Yup us zou fans could use a few of Cal's one and dones, maybe he can throw us a few bones? Why did kyrie only play ten games, did he get hurt?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • Barekatts bakk!! Wear ya ben, bro??

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 11:19 AM
  • just whot busnness is it or urs cirithngle? you tryin to be nossy Bucko? if youmust now i haven been out of the contry for a few while bub.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 11:32 AM
  • Grate ta haveya bake, did ya bring bak som poopcorn from yore travles?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 11:42 AM

Yes bearcat whats up dude haha! See Ciri thats another good point, and a case that people make for them staying two years. Think about it, if Anthony Davis has to stay two years, does Nerlens Noel come to Kentucky the next year!? Probably not. If MKG has another year, does Poythress come to UK the next year!? Nope. Brandon Knight after John Wall? nope. So I can see where it would also make other teams better as well, because they have to go other places.

Where'd ya go bearcat!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 11:58 AM

Sorry missed your second question Ciri! Yes he did get hurt, I think (and this is totally off the top of my head) that he had an ankle injury or foot or something. I remember it being something weird that sounded minor, but it kept him out of like 20 games.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 12:01 PM

Arizona freshman Aaron Gordon has officially declared for the draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 12:02 PM

Louisville sophomore Montrez Harrell says he will come back to Lville next year.

Michigan sophomore Glenn Robinson III will enter the draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 12:41 PM

Not surprised on Aaron Gordon jumping. Thank God Bearcat is back to impart his wisdom.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 12:50 PM

Hearing Syracuse's Jerami Grant is declaring for the draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:22 PM
  • i not soprised that aron goodon is go to nba draft bunk my cosin talk to him other day and sad he is gonn go to draf.

hey Bock Major jus geting back into the swung of tings Bucko. hey. can u get me someo poopcorn when if we go to basball game bub? mabe just a cokie or ductor peper bub.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:32 PM

Jim Boeheim's recent comments "If you go 15th in the draft, you're nothing. You might be out of the league in two years. It used to be a first-round draft pick you had a chance. That's nothing. Those guys are out of the league. Half the guys taken in the first round the last three years are not even in the league. You gotta be in the top seven, eight, 10 picks to make sure you're going to be playing in the NBA."

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:52 PM

He has got a point there. A lot more drafting on potential than there used to be

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:55 PM

Sorry bearcat I don't really go to baseball games haha. But I don't ever pass up a good ductor peper! So I might be persuaded haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:56 PM

Yeah I thought those were really interesting comments. Your spot on, almost entirely based on potential now in first round. It will be interesting to see where Australian Dante Exum gets drafted who decided to not play college, and has basically played against YMCA and DIII Australian league teams. Purely getting drafted based on size and potential. Because you can't really judge any of his play.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 2:00 PM

And there's been other foreigners with similar situations, but this year Exum is the one to watch.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 2:01 PM

NBA post: The Suns have 47 wins and are 9th in the west, thus missing the playoffs (i think if they win tonight they might get in). The Raptors and Bulls have 47 wins and are 3rd and 4th in the East. (the Suns have had a heck of an unexpected year, and yes i think they could beat both Raptors and Bulls in 7 game series). NBA move to take the top 16 teams regardless of conference anyone!?!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 2:23 PM

I would be all for it. The Twolves are going to end up a little over .500 again this year and still not make the playoffs while sub .500 teams in the East get in. There are only 5-6 teams in the East who are deserving of a playoff spot and there are usually 10-11 teams who deserve a spot in the West. This seems to happen every year or every other year. They need to either redistrict some teams or just go with the top 16 teams and forget conferences altogether.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 2:32 PM

I agree 100%. I think Adam Silver is really up to moving to the top 16 teams. I hope so.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 2:50 PM

Michigan State sophomore Gary Harris is entering the NBA Draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 4:16 PM

Not shocking either important thing for Mizzou fans is that the more the Gary Harris' of college basketball declare the more they push Clarkson and Brown down the board. Are they appreciably better than those two? No but they muddy the waters enough from about pick 15 down that who knows who gets picked. Basically this should possibly push Jabari to return for his senior season.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 4:49 PM

Yeah the Gary Harris, Nick Stauckas (sp), and James Young's of the world will push them down. It could be a good motivator for him to come back.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 4:56 PM

YES!!! Willie just tweeted out "@THEwillieCS15: I'm proud to say I'm coming back for my junior year. I still have an empty spot to fulfill and in no rush to leave the best fans in the USA!" Big big big

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 5:10 PM

Even though we have big frontcourt guys coming in next year, they were not/nor were they known as shot blockers. The big guys coming in next year are mobile and can even shoot the 3 (7'0 Karl Towns Jr. was even in the 3 point contest). So thats great to be able to have someone to protect the rim. Could UK possibly start 2 juniors next year!?!?!?!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 5:17 PM

Looks like Tennessee's Cuonzo Martin will be the next head coach at California. That means there will be a vacancy in the SEC.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 12:33 PM

Archie Miller!? Shaka Smart!? Greg McD with no Doug now!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 12:36 PM

You expect a lot out of UT's AD there Buck

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 1:02 PM

Maybe so haha. Man Martin really gave UT the middle finger there, even Lane Kiffin would think that was cold haha. Didn't even discuss this with the players. I think the whole Bruce Pearl thing rubbed him wrong. I mean it wasn't like he had a bad season. Also means Marquette PICKED Wojo over Martin, thats interesting. Tennessee also had 5 pretty good commits with big decisions ahead, we could see some new SEC landing spots for them.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 1:06 PM

Gregg Marshall maybe!? I just don't know why Marshall would leave. Well I also don't know why Miller would leave either, IMO wouldn't be great moves for either.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 1:08 PM

And didn't 7'1 center and shot blocker Kingsley Okoroh just commit to UT yesterday!? He was really going to take over for Stokes. But hey, Volunteer fans made their bed on this one.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 1:12 PM

WOWZERS Okoroh just tweeted out that he is a California commit now. UT fans had 1 day to be excited about that prospect. Man oh man, Martin is cold-blooded haha, go martin go!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 1:33 PM

Off topic but relevant (I still want to talk about this Martin thing haha): Cauley-Stein said a big reason in him coming back is because of who else is coming back.... hmmmmmm.....

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 1:35 PM
  • Did the Vol fans not like Martin?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 2:04 PM
  • It was a weird deal. He never really had the full support from their fan base. It seemed like no matter what he did, it was never enough.

-- Posted by Swoop on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 2:14 PM

Nooooooo. A month ago they had 36,000 people sign a petition to get Bruce Pearl back. They treated him pretty bad. After the California announcement both Jarnell Stokes and Jordan McRae have made statements supporting Martins move and saying what did UT expect when they treated him so bad. That's powerful statement coming from players.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 2:33 PM

Arizona's Nick Johnson is headed to the draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 3:20 PM

Reaslistic candidate for UT seems to be Colorado coach Tad Boyle.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 3:21 PM
  • Wow that is cold!! He'll be happier at Berkeley im sure.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 3:21 PM

Hearing UT has reached out to Shaka Smart. Which reaching out doesn't mean much. I'd be more surprised if they didn't reach out to one of the best young coaches in the game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 6:44 PM

Breaking News: I have reached out to Jennifer Lawrence as she is talented, rich, and beautiful and I have a opening at the girlfriend position in my life.

No word yet as to whether or not she intends to respond but hopes are high here in the Bunk camp.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 8:00 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha crying lol!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 8:08 PM

Baylor sophomore center Isaiah Austin will enter the NBA draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 8:08 PM

Quick update: No response yet from JLaw but after careful thought I have decided to send out feelers into the rest of young Hollywood to gauge interest in order to pressure JLaw. Be prepared for Shailene Woodley interested in unknown slob headlines on the Inquirer and Esquire front pages at your local supermarkets.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 8:33 PM
  • JLaw is beautiful......nuff said

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 16, 2014, at 12:29 AM

No surprise. But UCLA's Kyle Anderson has formally declared for the NBA Draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 16, 2014, at 12:36 PM

I've heard many reports from people at the school that all the UK players but Young and Randle have been running a bunch of pick up games. Don't really know what that means, but it's interesting.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 16, 2014, at 4:05 PM

Arizona St. sophomore Jahii Carson will be entering the NBA draft. The "late first round" must be about 30 spots, because I don't know where all these "late first rounders" are going to fit in the draft. Something's got to give here.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 16, 2014, at 5:09 PM

Come on home Jabari come on home

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 16, 2014, at 5:20 PM

Your not kidding buck, I hate how general and broad they make a group of players draft stock, seems like 80% of the Draft could be a late first round pick (sarcasm of 80%)

I do hope isiah Austin has a solid career, read his story about his eye a couple days ago. Pretty interesting and shows his character

Has wiggins said anything? Think he would be the biggest beneficiary of another year in the NCAA

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 12:54 AM

Of wiggins Randle and Parker

Obviously wiggins is the most athletic as of now for the league of the three

I'd say parkers skill set is probably the most Nba ready of the 3 (Ehh after I typed that him and Randle are close)

But I definitely think Randle is the most NBA ready as of right now, total package wise

My Dark Horse of the Draft Glen Robinson

Biggest flop? Ehh for some reason I'm thinking Gordon from Arizona

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 12:58 AM

It's going to be interesting the lottery picks this year for sure, do you think there's a chance a player "Noel's" from first to whatever he was? Cause you have a questionable big man health wise (recipe for disaster) a super athlete sf, a well rounded pf, and whatever you want to classify jabari as. Pick your posion of the 4

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 1:02 AM

Yeah you make some great points. I wouldn't even say thats sarcastic haha, it literally seems like 80% of these guys declaring are "late first rounders". I'm an Austin fan too. He needs to put some weight on probably though.

Yeah Wiggins has already declared for the draft. I agree he could have benefited from another year.

For my dark horse I'll go with Tyler Ennis. I think he could become a pretty solid point guard.

My biggest flop I'm going with Embiid. I watched him a lot this year, and just wasn't sold on him. He didn't even have that many double-doubles. I think he might "Noel" (Noel dropped to 6th, I can't wait to watch him this year, already have the 76ers jersey haha). It's going to really depend on how bad this back injury is. Man I would just be nervous as heck if I was a team with the first our 2nd pick and picked a guy who's been playing bball for 3 years, had one year college experience, and is a big man 18years old with a back injury. I'm just not sold on him yet, hopefully he proves me wrong (I almost typed McDermott for biggest flop).

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 9:07 AM

I think healthy Embiid is the best prospect in this draft but he isn't so I expect him to plunge.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 10:57 AM

Duke's Jabari Parker will enter the draft. Never really any serious doubt about it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 11:31 AM

And that's official, not just me saying that.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 11:33 AM

So now Julius is the only player projected to be Top 5 that hasn't declared yet. At least this announcement wasn't another late first rounder haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 11:54 AM

Did the bucks draft that center over jordan?

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 1:25 PM

How much longer till he makes a decision? Did UK land anyone yesterday buck

Is Sheldon from ku going back?

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:11 PM

No it wasn't the Bucks. Trail Blazers I believe.

I would figure it would be next week closer to the 27th deadline. Will probably hear most of UK's guys decisions then. But I am hearing that one may decide to go or stay this week. No they did not FPC, but their recruiting class was already done, they weren't looking at anyone that would have decided yesterday. We might see a Juco transfer or grad student for this class, but I doubt it. My guess is our 2014 recruiting class is finished.

Haven't heard anything on Seldon. Will see what I can find. He should come back though.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:19 PM

Potentially big breaking story: I'm hearing Tulsa is really interested in Frank Haith and he is equally interested in them. From what I'm hearing he is "looking for a way out of Missouri". Tulsa is willing to pay in excess of $1 million for Haith. He knows one more bad season would be his last. Lets monitor this and see if we hear anything else.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:21 PM

Duke's Rodney Hood will enter NBA draft. Figured he was gone if Parker's gone.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:23 PM

I just checked out the mock draft and even taking it for what it's worth it def interested me.

Had shabazz going to the bulls which would be sick

Seems like the magic could improve the most from this year's Draft

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:23 PM

They have hood mid first round, I seen a headline about a UTM player going to ole miss I thought it was about to say garmon haha

And if haith bails like that I hope mizzou bits the bullet and snags a younger guy who could become the long term guy.

But it seems most people want haith gone so maybe it's for the best

And with the sec network coming and Mizzou's potential it's not like it's not a job worth it's while. I wonder if the thought of him leaving is going to have any effect on jabari and Clarkson ' s decision to stay or go.

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:29 PM

Wow a lot happening here at once. There's the UK player I mentioned that could decide this week. Kentucky's James Young has declared for the NBA draft. I fully expected taht one. He had NBA teams raving about him since pre-season practices. Whoever drafts him will get a great athlete and a great teammate. Good luck James on your NBA career, it was fun watching you this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:29 PM

I would think that might impact their decision. If they are getting decent draft feedback, next year would be such an unknown, they might go ahead a jump.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:30 PM

I agree with both those posts and wasn't it jabari who the other player hit his car into? He may be more then ready to get out of Columbia and starting over with a whole new coach is tough.

Especially when you know you had the chance to be making a good chunk of change already.

But like the earlier post seems like players are more and more eager to just get to the league than getting their craft ready before it "counts" so you turn a decent few years into a long tenured career

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:37 PM

Hearing they are in final negotiations, and barring a major collapse, Haith to Tulsa is a done deal.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:40 PM
  • "As the World Turns", otherwise known as the Zou athletic dept

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:46 PM

True statement! All my children are young and restless haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 2:49 PM

I'm blaming ChampKind for Haith's departure. He pushed him too hard.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 3:07 PM
  • Good one guys, you two are on a roll as of late haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 3:30 PM

I heard Haith also say he was young and restless, and that he only had One Life to Live, so he was going to follow his Guiding Light, and Search for Tomorrow. Okay I'm done with the soap opera jokes haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 3:55 PM

Haith now at Columbia Regional Airport boarding flight to Tulsa. And thanks to Twitter I have now seen more pictures of Columbia's airport than I thought possible.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 4:01 PM

I agree with both those posts and wasn't it jabari who the other player hit his car into? He may be more then ready to get out of Columbia and starting over with a whole new coach is tough.

Especially when you know you had the chance to be making a good chunk of change already.

But like the earlier post seems like players are more and more eager to just get to the league than getting their craft ready before it "counts" so you turn a decent few years into a long tenured career

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 4:03 PM

Wowwwww I go back from lunch and he's already made the deal.

mizzou doesn't need to waste any time

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 4:12 PM
  • Ok now the coaching carousel begins, who we gonna get folks? And i wonder how many recruits we gonna lose? Aldens havn a rough week and it aint even fri yet!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 4:18 PM

Well you could look at it like Mizzou got out from under Haith and saved the school $500,000. Heck Tulsa's AD should get an honorary Mizzou degree given to him haha!

Hmmmmm think they could get Matt Painter!? Bryce Drew maybe!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 4:31 PM

And it looks like it is official now, Haith is the new Tulsa Men's basketball coach. That escalated quickly.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 4:34 PM

Jason King reported that Greg Marshall would listen to Mizzou but the money would have to be at least 3 mil year. Who knows take that for what's worth

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 4:46 PM

Not even fifteen coaches make 2.5 million a year in college basketball. Haith made less than 2 million I believe. I can't imagine Mizzou can up the budget enough to get to Gregg Marshall.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 5:33 PM

What if the 76ers have a Nerlons/Embidd combo for the future? They have two top 10 picks and could possibly improve. They have McDermott going pretty high compared to what I expected

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 12:00 AM

I'm hearing a proposed plan to get rid of the one-and-done where either you can go to college and stay there until you are 20 (2 years usually) or you can go straight out of high school to the D-league but you have to stay there 3 years, but your getting a paid contract while your doing it. Thoughts!?!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 2:02 PM

Well the D-League is about to become a bigger deal.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 2:04 PM

UK's Marcus Lee will officially be back next year. It was already pretty much known, but now it's official in a Kentucky press release.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 3:44 PM

I agree on the D-League thing. I think if that change occurs it could potentially hurt the NCAA even more. Will high school seniors pass up a 75K or 100K contract. I hope so, but I doubt a bunch would.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 3:46 PM

Not sure what it says that a dude who averaged 6.3 minutes per game has to publicly announce he's foregoing the NBA Draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 3:48 PM

I feel like if you pass up the opportunity to build your brand in college and go to the d league where as of now no one honestly watches your just hurting yourself.

With the new rise of social media and how big college hoops is if your a top notch player in all honesty their not coming out of pocket that much money to get some of an education and become a nation wide house hold name. Which leads to endorsements and the other side of the business model.

But I hope they do get away with the 1 and done, I'm down for a 2 year requirement even without the d league option. Don't women basketball players have to go all four years of college before they can enter the Draft? Idk why I thought that but I was pretty sure, and if that's the case I can almost guarantee that their ratio of players who become financially broke after their tenure in basketball is way less. Making a 18 year old kid work on his craft for 2 years isn't going to do anything beside make the players coming into the NBA better. And maybe it'd attribute to more kids staying and finishing their degree since their half way done, and help them think past their basketball career, cause theirs a life after basketball and all these yes men they have won't be around when the bills are due

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Sun, Apr 20, 2014, at 10:20 AM

And with the rise of these online colleges recently players still have opportunities to achieve a degree which I'm sure a lot do. As they should, but me and my cousin who plays a sport in college were talking about the shabazz comment about where he talked about going hungry, and even though he himself admitted that it was blown out of proportion, college athletes shouldn't have to worry about that, if the league is going to pretty much force a 2 year minimum then I think the NCAA needs to realize that there's a reason that athletes are kinda turned off about staying for college athletics, I know mizzou has a dining hall for specificly for athletes, just the little things they could improve on to make it a little more appetizing to where athletes come in and enjoy their time there which leads to a few more players staying and not taking that d league option if that does become an option. They practice what 20 hours a week? They could get a 60 dollar allowance per week which is like half of minimum wage if that. Which could pay for some gas and a couple meals and lower the burden a little. Cause just the fact that these players are getting an education for less then what your average student is has obviously become not enough, which to each's own but I see a lot of missed opportunities

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Sun, Apr 20, 2014, at 10:30 AM

Former Tennessee commit Camron Justice - a 2015 SG - announced that he has verbally committed to Vanderbilt. So there's the first loss for Tenn. That's a tough loss for UT, Justice was a nice pick up!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Apr 20, 2014, at 9:24 PM

No real big draft news over the weekend. I expect this week to have a lot more! Only piece of news was Aquill Carr will declare for the draft. Famous for being only 5'6 and not playing any college ball. He isn't expected to be drafted.

UK announced today that Randle will be holding a press conference at 12:30 tomorrow. I assume he will be telling us all he is headed to the NBA.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 21, 2014, at 8:43 AM

Cal said he's meeting with Johnson and Poythress today, and the Twins tomorrow.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 21, 2014, at 9:30 AM

ESPN is reporting that the Minnesota Timberwolves are interested in Florida's Billy Donovan to be their next head coach. Could be SEC have 3 vacanies soon!?!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 21, 2014, at 12:01 PM

The Tennessee coaching search is becoming laughable.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 21, 2014, at 5:14 PM

Looks like UT might get Southern Miss's Donnie Tyndall. Has a career .65 winning percentage.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 21, 2014, at 9:30 PM

Well he is a pretty good coach. The rumor that White turned them down because he thinks that Ole Miss will fire Kennedy next year and that Oxford would be a better place for him is nuts.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 22, 2014, at 10:53 AM

Julius Randle presser in 30 minutes.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 22, 2014, at 11:58 AM

Julius Randle will enter the NBA draft. Congrats Julius, and good luck in the NBA! Randle led UK in points and rebounds. He totaled 24 double-doubles, the highest in the nation and broke Anthony Davis's freshman double-double record. He was SEC Freshman of the Year, first team all-SEC and several All-American teams. Projected to be a Top-5 pick.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 22, 2014, at 12:46 PM

I hope Randle goes to a cool NBA team, so I'll have a good jersey to add to my collection haha. I actually don't have a celtics jersey, so if he goes there like he is projected too, I'll add my first Celtics one haha.

So now we are just waiting on Poythress, Johnson, and the Twins. Johnson I'm really not sure on. His position is going to be crowded, but I'm leaning that he comes back. Poythress I'm guessing comes back. The Twins I'm still leaning that they go to the draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 22, 2014, at 1:09 PM

Since Calipari became head coach at Kentucky, he's had 10 freshman drafted. That's 7 more than any other school. All 10 were first rounders.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 22, 2014, at 1:45 PM

YES, UK Sophomore Alex Poythress will return for his junior season. We could actually have 2 juniors starting next year, both with NCAA tournament and National Championship experience. And thats really good that he's coming back, because we were going to be thin at the 3 spot. Poythress "Playing in the NBA has always been a dream of mine, but I want to make sure that I'm NBA ready before I make that jump. By coming back, I'll be so much closer to earning my degree in business (I believe he has a 4.0, and he is super smart in math) and it will give me another year to prepare my game and my body for the next level". Sounds like a very mature decision, congreats Alex!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 10:42 AM

I was going to say that we could hear a Poythress and Johnson decision today, but Alex beat me to it. We could still hear Dakari's decision today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 10:44 AM

2014 PG Larry Austin, a Tennessee commit, has reopened his recruitment from UT. Figured this would start to happen.

Haven't heard anything about Mizzou commits.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:30 AM
  • Sounds like you can start gettn sized for ur ring, Buck!! Cats gonna be a force next year, another preseason #1 ranking i would assume!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:33 AM
  • Yeah, better start ordering those 40-0 t-shirts lol

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:46 AM

lord guys please don't say that haha! You're going to jinx it all lol. Dr. Basketball I said the first person I hear mention 40-0 I was going to punch in the throat, I'll let you off with a warning this time haha! Nah but I am really glad he is coming back, I feel he will have a break out year this year. He needs to work on his perimeter skills a bit more.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:48 AM

I think the Twins decision will come at the "11th hour". My gut still tells me draft, but hope I'm wrong.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:50 AM

I'm torn a bit but Dakari I think stays, and I think we could hear decision today or tomorrow. I would guess tomorrow just for pure fact that it looks like Cal is giving each guy a day to make their own announcement, their own special day. So today would be Poythress's day. But I could be wrong and it was just a coincidence and we hear from Johnson today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:56 AM

Hearing that Johnson returns, and that the Twins have made a decision. Don't know what that decision is, but I've heard one has been reached. I'm just chomping on any piece of information I can find haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 12:39 PM

Hearing 2014 commit SG Jordan Cornish has been granted his release from Tennessee and his signed LOI. When it rains it pours. At this rate UT won't have any commits left.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 1:37 PM

YES, Dakari Johnson has announced that he will return to Kentucky for his sophomore season. Dakari "Returning to school allows me another opportunity to accomplish one of my individual goals: winning an NCAA Champioship." Very mature statement. But wait..... Don't all Calipari freshman only care about going to UK for one year and he just rolls the ball out until the leave for the draft!?!? Nope, sorry.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 3:40 PM

Man that frontcourt that was the best in college basketball last year, will be absolutely loaded this year. THREE 7 footers (Karl Towns at 7'1), and 5 star Trey Lyles at 6'10, 5 star sophomore Marcus Lee at 6'9 and 5 star junior Alex Poythress at 6'9. If you had a hard time getting a rebound last year, good luck this year. They will probably def start two 7 footers next year with WCS playing the 5 and Karl Towns playing the 4 because he is quick and can dribble and shoot the 3 really good.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 3:45 PM

So UK will either have 7 or 9 McD's All-Americans on next years team. (Not counting lottery pick Willie Cauley-Stein who wasn't a MCD due to not really playing bball much in high school but a lot of football).

So UK will have seven guys on the team 6'8 or taller. wowzers.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 3:49 PM

And Dakari moved up a grade to and graduated high school, he was actually the youngest person on the team and won't be 19 until next school year (September)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 4:02 PM
  • 40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

40-0

Book it

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 4:28 PM

I'm crying. please stop haha. Too funny man lol!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 4:44 PM

Andrew Harrison just tweeted a one word tweet "Sushi". Could that mean that his game is raw and he needs to come back for another year!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 5:32 PM
  • Now ur beggin........

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 5:42 PM

Buck your teasing yourself stop it.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 5:51 PM

hahahahaha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 5:58 PM

Yahoo is reporting that Michigan's Mitch McGary will declare for the NBA Draft due to the fact that he would have been suspended next year due to a failed drug test during the NCAA tournament(Marijuana). McGary did not play during the NCAA tournament due to injury, but did dress for one of the games and he was randomly selected to be drug tested for the Sweet 16 game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 8:25 AM

Now we are literally only waiting for the Twins to declare. McGary was kind of one of the last ones with big name recognition.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 8:26 AM

Hmmmm it's actually really interesting to look into. He wasn't subject to Michigan penalties (3 game suspension) because it was during the NCAA tournament it was their test. Also it doesn't matter that he was dressed out, the NCAA can drug test any player on the roster or on the teams traveling party. Even an injured player in street clothes, or an injured player who remains back on campus can be tested. Boy I never really realized they would test those people, I figured it was just those contributing to the outcome of a game. They also changed the recreational drug rule to half a year, but that doesn't go into affect until Aug 1st, so McGary falls under the old rule even though they changed it a week after they announced his penalty.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 8:44 AM

He would have fared much better last year.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 10:27 AM

Looks like the Twins will announce their decision today per their father. It's finally over!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 11:14 AM
  • I bet they stay buck, too many declaring this year, best to wait a year for higher pick!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 11:21 AM

Wow looks like it will be at noon. So were about 30 minutes away. Still say they leave.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 11:29 AM

I fully agree Ciri! I won't agree with their decision if they leave. To deep a draft. I just got a feeling daddy wants them to go. Hope I'm wrong

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 11:32 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if only the Twins knew the decision. They are the most secretive people ever. UK says they don't know the decision nor that there would be an announcement made. I wouldn't be surprised if their patents didn't even know, they didn't know the decision when they commuted to UK.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 11:37 AM

At a conference right now, hope these people don't mind me yelling out joy or expletives in about 15 minutes haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 11:46 AM
  • Put ur Big Blue hat on buck, its good karma.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 11:56 AM

Aaron and Andrew Harrison will officially be back at UK next year........

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 12:18 PM
  • The hat worked!!!!

Ur welcome buck!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 2:15 PM
  • Not surprising considering they sucked most of last year minus the last few games in the tournament. They have fallen off most all draft boards even after playing better those last few games.

Everyone is making a big deal about these players coming back, but when none of them are even going to get drafted (minus cully-stein) then it's not surprising they are coming back.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 2:17 PM
  • Will UK be invited to play in the NBA preseason next fall?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 2:17 PM
  • A few thoughts about the Harrison twins returning to Kentucky:

*The headline here is not "Harrison twins return to Kentucky." The headline is "[Rejected by the NBA], Harrison twins [begrudgingly] return to Kentucky."

*I feel kind of bad for the Harrisons. They wanted to be pros right now so badly; the professional market rejected them. Their "return" is completely (and justifiably!) begrudging.

*If they were good enough to be 1st-round picks, NBA GMs would have bent over backwards to draft them this year -- call it the "Archie Goodwin theory."

*And, like Goodwin, the twins would have left -- all they wanted/needed was a 1st-round grade... an evaluation from NBA scouts that they** simply couldn't achieve.

(**It's certainly possible that one got the 1st-round grade and the other didn't, but they didn't want to separate, a co-dependency and separation anxiety that perhaps contributed to the NBA's muted evaluation of twins to begin with.)

*There are only one of two explanations for this market failure: (1) Either John Calipari did a poor job developing them for the NBA, or (2) they vastly overestimated their own NBA potential.

*So here's a question for Calipari: If the choice was devoting time to getting the Harrisons fit to be NBA 1st-round picks at a cost of not making NCAA Tournament, is that worth it? Because here's the thing: Calipari's pitch is that you'll win AND he will get you positioned to be drafted as a "one-and-done." And yet he failed on the latter for the Harrisons**.

**(And Alex Poythress. And Willie Cauley-Stein. And Dakari Johnson.)

*There is a radical approach a college coach can take to undercut the Calipari model. Tell the recruits "We will prioritize training you for the NBA at the expense of wins."

*The reality is that if a college coach has NBA 1st-round talent, he'll win plenty. But the elite players are much better off being optimally developed to maximize NBA draft stock, not win.

*The Harrison twins are a cautionary tale of overinflated expectations, an inefficient pro development system and the NBA's efficiently ruthless talent market.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 10:42 AM
  • Gee, sounds like a life lesson in general. Kinda describes the dog eat dog world of finding a real job.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 12:05 PM

Lots of players have gone pro with low 2nd round grades so there is that fact to keep you at bay.

Also just in the macro, meta sense of this question does your derogatory comments about the twins even matter? I mean it shouldn't to UK fans who are concerned with winning as obviously the twins proved they could dominate a large section of college basketball in the tournament. UK fans first and foremost concerns are their teams winning so this is good for them. Why does the reason behind their return matter?

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 12:44 PM
  • I could care less about uk and who they have coming back or leaving. Any chance I can get to shine negative light on kentucky and calishady I am going to do it. No more, no less. He is everything wrong with college basketball and is a cheat, no matter how bad kentucky fans want to try and spin it and say he was never convicted.

In 5-10 years this little run kentucky is on will be wiped from the record books and calishady will be on his way to the nba again without a blemish on his collegiate record, what will the uk fans think of him then??

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 2:01 PM

Tennessee has released CJ Turman from his LOI, leaving the Vols without any of the four recruits who signed in November.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 12:19 PM

UK's James Young has signed with Roc Nation, Jay Z's agency.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 11:35 AM

The NBA Draft combine starts today. Embiid, Wiggins, and Parker have chosen not to participate. Randle will be participating.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 11:11 AM

I think Jabari Brown could have a good combine and move up the draft board.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 12:54 PM

"Aaron Craft's jumper looks like Barkley's golf swing" - overheard at the combine. umm ouch!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 1:07 PM
  • That cant be good.....

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 2:49 PM

If you haven't seen the pictures of Andrew Wiggins vertical jump I strongly advise you look them up. Also heard after seeing the picture the 76ers are suing the NBA to vacate all 19 of their wins haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 6:18 PM

Randle has met with Magic, Jazz, Cavs, Celtics, and 76ers

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 15, 2014, at 6:22 PM

UK's James Young had some awesome combine measurements. He measured almost 6'7 in shoes, had a 7 foot wing span, and a standing reach of 8'8. For a shooting guard in the NBA those are elite numbers.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, May 17, 2014, at 5:02 PM

Here is an interesting fact: Out of the 46 early entries in last year's NBA Draft, 17 (37%) aren't even in the NBA right now, and only FOUR averaged 10 PPG.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, May 19, 2014, at 11:55 AM

I will try and do a more extensive draft preview this week with the draft only a few days away, and several big developments have come about, but I did want to pass on a bit of breaking news. In genetic testing in preparation for the draft Baylor's center Isaiah Austin has been diagnosised with Marfan's disease which is a career-ending medical condition. He will not be entering the draft. Thoughts and prayers with him and his family.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jun 22, 2014, at 1:09 PM

As well as career-ending, it is also a life-threatening disease.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jun 22, 2014, at 1:10 PM

The most important note that has come about recently is Joel Embiid's foot fracture and how that will totally shift draft boards since he is a 7ft Center with back and feet problems( historic examples include Greg Oden, Bill Walton, Sam Bowie, Ralph Sampson) once you get hurt like that you don't come back as a big.

So this is good news for Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 10:15 AM

Yeah Embiid is a HUGE risk now. In the last 4 months he has had knee, back, and foot problems (will be out 4-6 months recovering from surgery). Yao Ming and Oden didn't have that many problems by Embiid's age if that tells you anything.

I'm still undecided on who will go first. I would probably personally take Parker. But Wiggins is a good pick and you can't fault a team for taking him either. The wildcard is that the CAvs have a tendency of screwing this thing up. Does that mean they still take Embiid with the first pick haha!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 10:36 AM

Not a good time for the bigs in this draft. Embiid is a guy to build your team's future medical staff around, Randle had some foot problems (although I think the media is playing it up a bit), Dario Saric reaches a deal with his team in Turkey and likely won't be in the NBA for 2 years, and Austin's career is over.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 10:38 AM

Here is the order for the lottery:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers

2. Milwaukee Bucks

3. Philadelphia 76ers

4. Orlando Magic

5. Utah Jazz

6. Boston Celtics

7. LA Lakers

8. Sacramento Kings

9. Charlottee Hornets (so cool to say that now)

10. Philadephia 76ers

11. Denver Nuggets

12. Orlando Magic

13. Minnesota Timberwolves

14. Phoenix Suns

I don't feel that Embiid will go past #10. The 76ers could be an option for him. I believe they have 7 picks in the draft, 2 in the top 10. So they can gamble a bit with that 10th pick. They have shown that they aren't afraid to pick a guy and wait to use him (Nerlen's Noel at #6 last year). Embiid also wouldn't have to feel an imediate need because Noel is back healthy. Then again, they play a bit of the same position, so do they really need Embiid!? Also the Magic have 2 lottery picks. I just think someone is going to take the gamble. We know he won't be going to the Bucks at No.2 because their owner just came out and flat out said they aren't taking him. I think it's safe to say Parker and Wiggins will be first of the board in some order.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 10:51 AM

Noel is a bit slight so they will transition him to PF I think

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 10:58 AM

I could see that. I even think he would do better there. He can run and handle the ball better than most big guys.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 11:12 AM
  • Hey whats the story on Charlotte gittn their name back? Thats very cool!! I wish NO would get Jazz back!! Jazz in Utah?? Bahaha gimme a break heeheee!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 12:04 PM

They got it back because NO became the Pelicans and relinquished the name Hornets allowing Charlotte to pick it up again.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 12:08 PM
  • Awesome!! Will all this big man stuff help out the mizzou prospects in the draft, or not so much?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 12:36 PM

No it shuffles the top of the lottery but doesn't really effect anything else. All the top 12-13 picks we probably get reshuffled until whoever takes a falling Embiid actually takes him.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 12:41 PM

Yall should read the story about the relationship between Clarkson and Brown. It's awesome! I will try find a link to an article about them.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 2:43 PM
  • -- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 2:43 PM

I'm rooting for them both to go even higher in the draft now!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jun 23, 2014, at 2:54 PM

I just still can't figure out who goes #1 in the draft. I think the Cavs could trade the #1 pick, but they haven't shown in the past that they will trade the pick, they generally like to use it. Something tells me they are leaning towards Wiggins. And the Bucks really like Parker at #2. But then again the Cavs drafted a Duke guy #1 in 2011. I think I'm going to guess Cavs take wiggins and bucks take Parker. Then probably Exum, and I think Embiid might even go in the top 5, maybe at the 4 spot.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jun 25, 2014, at 2:46 PM

Big day for the Cleveland Cavaliers today. Waiters is a punk (fights with teammates, kicked out practices, bad attitude), Jack is overpaid, Bennett doesn't have a postion, and Erving needs to learn to make his teammates better. It will be interesting to see what direction they go in.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 11:08 AM

Well the slam dunk is no longer a slam dunk. Wiggins should be the pick.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 12:08 PM

Yeah Wiggins should go first. Whatch the Cavs pull a Cav a draft Dante Exum first.

Hearing Embiid will probably go to 76ers at 3, Celtics at 6, or Lakers at 7.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 1:29 PM

Yeah if he falls to 6 the Celtics to roll the dice on him.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 1:50 PM

Your a Celtics fan right!? Would you be okay with them rolling the dice on him!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 2:27 PM

Yeah who you really gonna get that you think man that is a sure fire star at that point. The way I look at is there anyway if Vonleh, Randle, Gordon tier of players is gonna have a ceiling higher than Embiid. I think you can live with missing out on Randle's ceiling for taking a shot at Embiid. I don't feel the same way about Wiggins, Parker, or Exum.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 2:34 PM

Like if Embiid pans out how much would the Celtics kick themselves if Aaron Gordon is an average player? You can't say the same thing if your Cleveland, Milwaukee, or Orlando though. I don't think Philly cares. I think Philly will take him, sit him, suck, get another high pick then trade for a star or two and then use the rest of the assets to sign 2-3 good veterans to go with the stars and their chosen core of rookies to really try and win in 2015.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 2:42 PM

Yeah I would agree with you. He has a high ceiling that is worth taking a risk. Espicially if he slips to 6. I like your assement of the the 76ers too though. I think they might take him just for the heck of it.

Hearing the Lakers really like Randle and are wanting to take him. Thats if Embiid is off the board by 7 of course.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 2:47 PM

I'm 100% sold that pick and any other tradeable first rounders are going to be packaged into a deal for anybody who you could consider a top 20ish player in the league. Like I imagine the Lakers will give all that to Warriors for some combination of David Lee, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodola and give them Pau Gasol. I could then see GS using the pick or flipping it some other guys to Minnesota for Love and GS laying the max amount of money before the luxury tax at Carmelo and/or Lebron's feet in order to convince them to come.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 2:53 PM

Now it looks like Embiid tweeded out "I'm a Laker" last night. It was quickly deleted. He then said a "friend hacked his phone". Sure sure. If that rumor is true (The to the lakers rumor, not the tweet, I saw the tweet) then Randle could possibly be at Jazz at 5 or Celtics at 6.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 3:46 PM

I doubt he would know. His agent maybe trying to manipulate teams picking prior to the Lakers into taking him or motivate teams picking after to trade up for him. Tellem( agent) could also be trying to use the release of Embiid's medicals as leverage to select teams to be drafted to. Lots of smoke gears involved in this act.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 4:17 PM

Sure are. Yeah the deal with Tellem in the medical records is very fishy.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 5:08 PM

Wiggins #1 and Parker goes #2

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 6:52 PM

Embiid to Philly at 3

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 6:58 PM

Gordan to Magic at 4. No trades yet

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 7:04 PM

Jazz take Dante Exum

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 7:11 PM

Celtics take Marcus Smart. Hmmm

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 7:13 PM

Randle does go to the Lakers at 7

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 7:18 PM

The Lakers was Julius Randle's favorite team growing up.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 7:24 PM

A Kentucky player has been the first SEC player selected in the NBA Draft for six consecutive years.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 7:39 PM

McBuckets goes to Denver at 11.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 7:46 PM

Looks like now he's been traded to Chicago for their 16th and 19th pick

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 8:00 PM

Looks like James Young might go to your Celtics. That would be a good pick up!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 8:18 PM

They do pick Young. And they confirm that they are keeping him!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 8:28 PM

I'm not pleased with that pick.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 26, 2014, at 9:30 PM

The Wizards drafted Jordan Clarkson with the 46th pick and traded him to the Lakers for cash. Brown went undrafted. They said Brown did really good in his workouts,this was just such a deep draft though. If you are any kind of sports fan, there was household names who even went undrafted like Patric Young, CJ Fair, Aaron Craft, James Michael MacAdoo, DeAndre Kane, Sean Kilpatrick. I mean you got guys who were on multiple Sports Illustrated covers not getting drafted. It's just tough to see those guys that decided to leave early not get drafted like Brown, MacAdoo, and Jahii Carson.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 8:30 AM

Overall I think the draft unfolded the way we expected it would. I think Wiggins will be a stud and his floor is Kwahi Leonard. His ceiling is anyone's guess. Parker is a little big in the lower half and doesn't play defense but he will score which what the Bucks need. Embiid is either a golden ticket or a gilded ticket. Gordon was reached for but he will be a steady starter for decade based off effort and athleticism alone. Exum looks more a 2 than a 1 but for a second I thought he might drop to the Celtics and got over joyed.

I liked the Marcus Smart pick. It stung at first because Kris Humphries, Brandon Bass, Kelly Olynyk, and Jared Sullinger are the main contributors at the 4 and 5 for my Celtics and that pick screamed Randle to me. But Smart strikes me as Wiggins lite and it never hurts to have defensive minded ball handler who can get to the rim. I disliked the James Young pick because he does one thing: shoot. Young doesn't even attempt to do anything else well in my opinion. Randle is an underrated pick up as long as he is healthy.

I think the big winners last night were Phoenix who seem to be moving to a straight up 10 man rotation with specific unit subsitutions to wear folks out and score points which works as long as Dragic and Bledsoe are both able to run the point.

The other big winner is Chicago. They got McDermott which is basically a less athletic, older, better defensive version of Parker. They only have to pay one player vs two. They got a lottery pick and instant offense off the bench. They are one step closer to trading Dunleavy and amensty clausing Boozer to sign Carmelo and win a title.

Heat are silly with the Napier move to appease Lebron. Napier could be fine but if you think he is sure thing or better than Cole/ Chalmers next year your nuts. There are 3-4 other guys that are similar who didn't get drafted in the 1st round because they didn't win a national title.

I think the Spurs have another steal in Kyle Anderson. Anybody who is 6'9 and can dribble/ pass the ball will be able to excel especially under Pop.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 8:33 AM
  • Napier took 1 solid player, a couple shooters. and 4 nobodies to an NCAA title as a 7.. he's pretty good

-- Posted by gettinweird on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:20 AM

Because college stars always translate to pro superstars.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:26 AM
  • I thought napier was purty darn good, bunk. He is energetic and seems to make those around him better players. Dude's gotta gift that you cant teach, i dont see why that woodnt translate to the next level.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:39 AM

How quickly we forget that Mario Chalmers once upon a time lead Kansas to a national title. I'm not saying he didn't play great in college but basically he got a ton of buzz because Lebron willed him to Miami. There are other guards that are comparable. The Heat probably shouldn't worry about appeasing Lebron with Chalmers 2.0. They might want to find defenders/ shooters under 35 who won't tire out by game 2 of the finals or something resembling a rim protector.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:47 AM

Or a decent big guy. I'm glad the Heat got Napier (mostly because I can't stand Chalmers, big Cole fan though), but I still wish they had a decent 7 footer to at least come off the bench.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:51 AM

Tyler Stone playing summer league with the Pacers. Congrats Tyler!

CJ Fair will play with Mavericks

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 1:16 PM

Stone will get a Development deal.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Jun 30, 2014, at 1:26 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: