Semoball

Other College Sports Discussion: Pricing for Semoball awards! $40 a ticket and $4 service charge??

Posted by dirtysouth on Mon, Apr 4, 2016, at 8:51 PM:

These price are ridiculous. Where do the proceeds go? This ain't ticket masters. What is up with a service charge?

Replies (22)

• DirtySouth,

The media keeps suckering these people in. Cooperate sponsors can donate money as a tax write off, then they get their name on a award. Just using these kids to make money. Just a mini NCAA here in SEMO.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 8:56 AM
  • C'mon Bobby. Are you really that negative ? They put on these awards and honor these kids and invite them to a big red carpet event and give them the recognition they all deserve. All those kids will remember this for the rest of their lives, even if they never play athletics again.

Everything in life if business. Does your employer do things for free ? Mine doesn't. Are you outraged at every awards show in the country ? Every awards show uses sponsors. Every one of them. Who pays for the rental of the River Campus ? How about the food, the awards, the fee to pay for the title speaker ?

If there was no recognition of these athletes, you'd *****. Now they put together a premiere event to honor the athletes and you *****. Is there anything in your life that you don't ***** about ??????

Kudos to Semoball for the event. God forbid a business try to run their business by making any profit (and we don't even know that they profit from this) Bobby, provide us all all a link to your evidence that this is a money grab. Post your link right here !!!

Is everything and everyone perfect ? unlikely. They have patterned this after the ESPY Awards. It's pretty cool. C'mon man, if you don't want to pay the money, then don't go. I get so sick of all the negativity about EVERYTHING.

These kids get recognition. Good for them.

-- Posted by capewebmaster on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 11:00 AM
  • CapeMaster your right. Semoball Awards>All State honors, Confrence Honors, District Honors, State Titles, District Titles, Confrence Titles, and every other team award you can think of. Keep drinking that Kool-Aid that taste like this is all about the kids. I'm sure these kids picked the speaker they wanted to hear, because it's all about the money, I mean kids.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 12:18 PM
  • Really ? Every single Awards banquets in SEMO doesn't get sponsors ? Prove it. Prove it.

Banquets are costly, show all of us that none of them get sponsors. Even the KoolAid costs money. You think the kids should pick the speaker ? Really ? Are you learning disabled ? if you are, I apologize and am praying that you can get the assistance that can help. hopefully sponsor driven charities can endeavor to assist. All charities are sponsor driven too.

Is your job all about the money ? How do you make a living ? Does your employer need money ? Do public and private high school require money to help them educate the kids ? Athletics, do they require money ? Does Semoball need money to operate their business ?

Hope all these kids have a great time at this event and cherish the recognition. Hopefully they aren't sent a bill for the speaker fees and the awards fees that they win.

Please. Bobby, still waiting for you to post a link for proof that this is money grab and not a tribute to the kids.

You can post it right here ...........

-- Posted by capewebmaster on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 12:32 PM
  • Ok I'll prove it to you. Can you simply give me number of schools that will be represented at this great event CapeMaster?

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 1:22 PM
  • And this number of schools means what ???

Still waiting for your money grab link ??

Can you email Semoball and ask them the number of schools represented ?? last year it was a lot. Do you know how many schools were represented ? or are you answering a question with a question to deflect your weak arguments ? don't know. Do you have any real info or just a complainer ? What's your answer ?

Where's your link about Semoball awards being a monday grab ??

Hopefully semoball employees can do your work about schools represented. You can Google search last year's awards to find out. Do the work Bobby.

You have been exposed as a typical complainer. Post something that's real. Please enlighten all of us readers Bobby. Please Bobby.

Still waiting for your evidence of Semoball awards being a money grab.

Here's your link space for that .............

-- Posted by capewebmaster on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 1:43 PM
  • Ok I'll go 60 schools represented, 20 students from each school that's 1200 students.

So if you are charging $40 a ticket for family and friends that's approximately $96000 for each set of parents alone to see their child at this event. Some families will have more and some will have less. But without sponsor donations we are already at nearly $100k. Donations will easily cover cost of speaker so were does all this $$$ go?

Or am I merely confused that the only athletes that get invited are the ones that are up for awards!? So basically if you aren't good at sports we don't want you here, but you can pay $40 to come see the good ones receive more awards?

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 2:06 PM
  • I think Bobby is pointing at the fact that this "awards" show is completely "made up" when there are already all conference teams, all-district, etc.

Why does there need to be another one? Yes this focuses on the local area, but aren't conferences and districts contained to local areas. Just seems silly to have another award that is pretty meaningless....my opinion which I am entitled to and don't need to post a link to prove!

Yes the event needs to make money, but this is nothing more than a way to sell advertising, etc.

-- Posted by tobedetermined on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 2:13 PM
  • Good point

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 2:21 PM
  • Thanks Bobby, sounds like your are once again spitballing. Where's your link to these numbers ? Even is these are accurate, that's great ! lost of athletes honored on a big stage and their family members get to watch it all happen. Priceless. Are you a parent ?

What is the problem ? A big event, everyone has to pay to get in. Name me a big event where there's not an entry fee. here's a spot for your link...............

Any event.....concert, banquet. Can you point us in the direction where we can get in free to any event ?? Where is free entry for a big event ? Please link all of the readers for this website. We all want to know.

How much do you have to pay to get into a basketball or football game ? do we all get in free ?? if so, please let us all know how we can also get in free, that would be awesome !!

Do schools let parents and family members in Free ?? That would be great for my family !!

Where does the money go ??

Yes, if you are good at sports, and are nominated, you get in free, you're part of the awards Banquet. If not, like every other event on the planet, family members have to pay to get into the establishment. Name me an event that doesn't charge family members or others to get into a big event. Here's the spot for your link..............

Online searches show that Mark Schlereth show that he charges as much as $20,000.

How much do you think the River Campus costs ? Food, security, speaker fee, cost for awards, video fees for the entire presentation which is likely paid to a company that produces the entire night. Or have you not even been there to see the video magic they produce inside the event ?

Would you suggest they take a loss with this night ? How many companies would line up to host this event and take a total loss for their business ?

Please email all of those companies to semoball so they can employ them, so they spend no money for this event.

All sports banquets that honor these young athletes, please send this to all of us companies that will eat all expenses for their banquets. Bobby, you could bankroll it, you'd be a hero, we could name an award for you.

Of course you would get a bill for the award, but that's not important, you would get a hero award !!!!!!!

-- Posted by capewebmaster on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 2:34 PM
  • Webmaster....this is a MEANINGLESS award show that uses the kids to sell advertising. That is fine but call it what it is. This didn't exist before and everyone was fine. The paper came up with this as a way to sell advertising, etc. How do the promote this to businesses? Well, tout how many people come to this award show. How do you get more people to come? Have all the sports and have at least 5+ finalist for each sport. So the kid gets in free and who else comes? Parents, siblings, grandparent, gf/bf, and on and on. This is all find and dandy, but don't sell this event as a way to recognize kids that are good at sports. All Conference, All District, All State...those awards do that.

-- Posted by tobedetermined on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 2:43 PM
  • Have any of you been you the Semoball Awards ?

Cant take you seriously. Just like telling me about a movie when you haven't seen it. Bobby, have you been to the awards show ? Tell me what the show is about ? If you can tell me that, then I'll believe you've been there.

You likely haven't even been there yet you crush it.

Please. Call Rust Media and ask them about their profit or loss margin on the event. Then you can post with knowledge, until then you're a poser. FACT

-- Posted by capewebmaster on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 2:45 PM
  • If these kids don't get recognized, then you come on this forum to rip everyone. Yet they put together an awards banquet to honor the kids and you still rip it.

You rip the All State, All Con, All Region award selections. Is there anything you don't rip ??

Anything ?

-- Posted by capewebmaster on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 2:48 PM
  • Lol so you have made my point, it's not about all the kids. Only the ones you clowns can profit off of.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 3:04 PM
  • Sounds to me like somebody really blew a lot of money on overpriced speakers. How about bringing someone in that cares about these kids and doesn't require $20000 to show up.

-- Posted by dirtysouth on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 4:26 PM
  • You are the worst debater I've ever seen.

" Lol so you have made my point, it's not about all the kids. Only the ones you clowns can profit off of."

That's about as weak a sentence as I've seen. You guys are the most negative people I've ever seen. Lol, you've made my point that you haven't answered a single point I've made. Still waiting for your link to prove any statement you've made on this website.

I don't know what they pay the speaker. They tied to get Ozzie Smith a few years ago. I'm sure all these people speak for free. I'm sure you all donate your time to your employer for free too, right ?

Dirtysouth, bring in someone that cares about the kids and doesn't require $20,000. Wow. This is an actual sentence on this forum. Enough said.

Once again, none of you have even seen the awards banquet, you are condemning something you know nothing about. You just want to complain about something. Nothing constructive, just complain, complain, complain.

-- Posted by capewebmaster on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 5:21 PM
  • I ask you questions and you don't answer but you expect me to give you all the answers!?

Rust wouldn't do this if they were losing money.

Who votes and picks these finalist? I'm sure the voters went and watched a lot of these kids play?

This speaker is just some talking head on Espn who played football with John Elway.

These finalist I see are defiantly the best players in their respective sport that I saw play, but they were only has good as the rest of their TEAM who unfortunately can only attend the event if they can come up with $40 they can afford to waste. Not everyone is as previliidged as you seem to be going to all these award shows and drinking that fine wine with cheese and crackers.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 5:49 PM
  • Are you seven years old ? a simple search of this website shows you who votes on these awards, people who watch games and talk to coaches and players.

The speaker won Super Bowls. What have you done? Other than complain and rip everyone and everything.

You haven't been the awards show, you haven't seen any of these kids play and you don't have any facts to back up anything you post.

You are a good complainer though. So at least you've got that going for you.

-- Posted by capewebmaster on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 5:59 PM
  • Can we all finally admit that this is done to promote the paper's advertising reach? This drives website hits and advertising $$ for the paper. That's fine but to act like this is all done to honor the kids is being disingenuous. This event has a dual purpose but webmaster only wants to make sure the kids feel all warm and fuzzy, along with mom and dad who think Jr. is the best thing since sliced bread. No complaining here webmaster but this event isn't being done because these kids don't already get recognition. Just admit that and we can all step away from the keyboards!

-- Posted by tobedetermined on Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 7:15 PM
  • It costs a lot of money to put this event on, just like any other large event. Save up a little coin and go to it and have a good time.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Thu, Apr 7, 2016, at 3:40 PM
  • Why are track and field athletes not honored as well?

-- Posted by semoballer1 on Tue, Apr 12, 2016, at 11:35 AM
    Response by Josh Mlot, Sports Editor, Southeast Missourian:
    I'm going to stay out of this argument because everyone is entitled to their opinion (and the event does just fine even if everyone doesn't support it) but...

I wanted to at least make sure it was known that we do indeed honor track and field athletes. In fact, last year's Male and Female Athletes of the Year, Nick Thompson and MaKayla Waldner, were also winners of Male and Female Track & Field Athlete of the Year.

• The best of all is in girls softball since there's two different seasons and 2 levels of competition. But it all gets lumped into one award! plus it will always be a pitcher in softball and baseball that win.

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Tue, Apr 25, 2017, at 8:20 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: