Semoball

St. Louis Cardinals Forum: Girls Wrestling ~ lack of media coverage??

Posted by Runnergirl2004$ on Sat, Dec 19, 2020, at 9:36 AM:

Wrestling has always been a sport that gets pushed aside by the media from more popular sports like boys & girls basketball.

Girls wrestling is not only new and the fastest growing in the nation, but an Olympic sport. More colleges are adding women collegiate programs. High schools are adding it to their athletic programs.

Now our local High Schools have the fastest growing sport in the nation, as girls wrestling, but no media coverage for the Girls Tiger Classic last night.

For this event there was 12 high school teams with many great challengers. There were some incredible matches & many accomplishments for these athletes.

These girl wrestlers works & train just as hard as the boys, in any sport. Their dedication & discipline for wrestling deserves the same respect as other sports.

They are learning to be grateful for the lessons learned in 2/day practices, coaches who push beyond perceived abilities, losses on the matt that humble and challenges them to work harder and the discipline you gain through making weight.

Nothing else offered in high school will better prepare these girls for the success in life after HS than wrestling.

Media coverage would be appreciated if it could recognize these athletes for braving the challenges of an upcoming sport! Please help recognize these girls for taking on the challenges that come with this respected sport.

Replies (4)

• Couldn’t agree more! As the parent of a female wrestler who saw a lot of success in her first season last year, it was disappointing to not even find a one line notation of a win following some hard fought matches. Give these girls credit where it’s due.

-- Posted by emhaysmom on Sat, Dec 19, 2020, at 7:39 PM

I guess they were busy writing the 47th article about Jackson football since Thanksgiving.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sun, Dec 20, 2020, at 6:36 PM
  • Secretagentman, you are right about Jackson football. Like no team has ever won a State Championship.

I also had a son wrestling when girls had to wrestle on boys teams. They got little coverage then and almost no coverage now.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Mon, Dec 21, 2020, at 8:46 AM

I’m really just ribbing them a little. Only 2 in the area before Jackson has and it was truly a dominate season. They deserve some press.

But so does women’s wrestling. Maybe it will come along. I always thought they just got reported in the articles with the boys team.

Oh well. Here’s to women‘s wresting getting some exposure! Here here!

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Mon, Dec 21, 2020, at 10:27 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: