Semoball

Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: SEMO basketball. Ugh!

Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Dec 19, 2015, at 9:13 PM:

Hands down, one of the worst teams in all of college basketball. Again.

Replies (284)

Gonna be tough to win when you let the other teams shoot around 50% every game. There is less defense played in a SEMO game than there is in an NBA game and it's difficult to watch. Harris Stowe might be the only win...and I hear they're pretty solid...

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sat, Dec 19, 2015, at 9:43 PM
  • OVC teams, especially Murray State, have to be laughing right now.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Dec 19, 2015, at 10:04 PM
  • SEMO needs a Ron Shumate. They will definitely play Defense and the stands will not look like a ghost town. We would been ahead of the game by keeping Dicky Nutt. Alnutt and Dobbins together we're lethal to the athletics program

-- Posted by Jackieman on Sat, Dec 19, 2015, at 10:25 PM
  • Thank you, Jackieman. Just hearing the words "Ron Shumate" make me feel better. Hope springs eternal.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Dec 19, 2015, at 11:28 PM
  • It's looking more and more like the rest of the Semo players aren't fitted for there coaches system, maybe he ought to get rid of some more.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Dec 20, 2015, at 9:49 AM
  • According to SEMO policy manual the athletes are given 5 days to appeal their dismissal, but I guess SEMO assessment was they are expendable kids and they do not read that stuff anyway. We're the athletes given due process??? We're they made aware? Is it a NCAA violation if SEMO does not follow their own rules?

-- Posted by redboy on Sun, Dec 20, 2015, at 11:42 AM

The OVC west as a whole is terrible right now. Murray is in first and their 5-7..

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Dec 20, 2015, at 12:36 PM

They play a pretty good schedule. Losses to Georgia, Weber State, Houston, Evansville, Illinois State and Southern Illinois.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Dec 20, 2015, at 5:40 PM
  • Will semo win more then 5 games this season?

-- Posted by superunbiased on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 1:48 AM

No

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 8:40 AM
  • Look, right or wrong on how he let those guys go would you have rather he just sat them at then end of the bench and they lost a whole years playing time and only had 1 year instead of a year and half to play somewhere else? I don't know know if he will pan out as a good coach or not.Some of you are wishing ole Dickey was back, well he started 0-10 his first year and yes they improved but they didn't have anywhere to go but up. Ray is in pretty much the same boat nowhere to go but up.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 9:37 AM
  • There's a difference in Nutt's 0-10 since he would have coached all of the players not suspend some to make him happy. Ray brought this on himself and you cannot say that the 3 suspended would have not helped the team. Those 3 are much better players than most of them on the bench. I did not like Nutt as a coach, but he sailed his boat with much more class than Ray. Time will tell if Ray's methods will work, but it looks like a long time with what he has done with the current team.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 10:59 AM
  • Let me get this straight. Attitude and coachability are not important. Those kids should be allowed to act however they want to act when things don't go there way and coach Ray is supposed to just deal with it?

Isn't it hilarious how nobody want to give any attention to what Erik Sean said? He's closer to this program than any booster, parent or uninformed fan on Semoball. But the truth, in this case may be way too boring.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 11:22 AM
  • Does anyone have the link with the Sean comments?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 1:13 PM
  • Ray brought what on himself? They weren't winning with those guys either. I just think there has to be more to this than they just didn't fit his system.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 1:22 PM
  • -- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 3:06 PM
  • Thanks LD!!

Since I have neverever heard of something like this happening I too have wondered if there are issues that the coach chose not to discuss, just kind of a nagging feeling ive had. Not much precedent in the way it went down but only the coach and players know the circumstances.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 4:06 PM
  • Here we go again

4.0 student

And a player a whole community respects

Have been playing basketball all 3 for probably 40+ years and all of the sudden they can't figure out how to stay on a team Lol

Have any of you all met him. Erik Sean is embarrassingly obsessed with him. Via Twitter

And if a kid has a 4.0 in COLLEGE while playing a DIVISION ONE SPORT what does that show? Hard work, dedication, discipline, and obviously not trying to take the short road around things.

But that's just more to the story

Would rather play short handed with less quality people

If a kid is a bad enough apple and you can't tell in 7 months what you can in 8 games then maybe you should take a good hard look at your own coaching abilities. Which he definitely DEFINITELY has not proven hhimself as a hc

Agree or disagree?

Im also quoting someone who I usually wouldn't *David Jones* "just because you coached in the sec doesn't make you a good coach*

Quick little side note, you want a coach that can rally around the community, one that at least becomes a household name in your area and all surrounding. One that embraces it and makes moves to improve it. Gary pinkels last game at mizzou was interesting for me because a lot of people I know who go there had the opportunity to go home early for break but decided to stay to see his last game. Even in a mediocre at best season. I can honestly say I doubt ray can ever be a coach like that when less then 25% of the semo students even know who he is. Literally semo has become a "non athletic" school.

And does this hire help that any?

State couldn't run this program with better recruits then we can get

-- Posted by superunbiased on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 4:21 PM
  • Since we arent privy to what went down in practice and in the lockerroom then we can only conclude he made a an egregious error in handling things like he did OR he went out of his way to contain any negativity towards the athletes. We may never know.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 4:39 PM
  • I agree Ciri. It really could go either way but it seems people prefer to believe the worst about Ray. Never fear: if he is truly that bad of a person then it will show up again soon enough. On the flip side, if he is taking the heat to contain negativity towards the athletes then he's a pretty strong dude. I personally hope he did the right thing by the team and, ultimately, by the three players so they have another chance to succeed. I just have a hard time believing he is as awful as has been deemed by many because how in the world would he have been part of successful coaching staffs with well known head coaches who helped him continue to not only stay in coaching but move up the ladder? If he has some sort of bad character flaw then it's almost an impossibility it wouldn't have reared its head way before coaching at MSU or SEMO and he would've have been out of coaching.

-- Posted by Grussman on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 9:20 PM
  • Rick Ray said F You to a player on the court on national television. He has shown what kind of person he is. We don't have to guess. If the kids he kicked off weren't happy, then Rick Ray can look in the mirror as to why. A team's attitude is a reflection of the coach. Since his attitude is poor, he can expect that from his players.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 9:50 PM
  • I'm sure he's the only coach that has done that. Everybody know what a knuckle head Marshall was, lets not go there!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 2:49 AM
  • Yup, Henderson was a knucklehead. I'm sure a lot of coaches wanted to say that, but I'm only aware of one caught on video saying it.

Quit defending Rick Ray. He is a POS, and he has proven it by his actions.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 4:45 AM
  • Well we all know no other coach in the heat of the moment has never done anything like that before.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 6:51 AM
  • They have, and that makes their character suspect too.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 8:34 AM
  • Uh oh winning at half time, will they pull it off

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 8:17 PM
  • So you're only a POS if you're caught saying it on camera? Kind of like it's okay to call someone a POS on Semoball because if you speak in anonymity, it's okay yo say bad things about others?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 8:36 PM

Oh boy... SEMO and Coach Ray might be better off after all! Maybe there's some truth to some cancer being in locker room and on bench.

Looking better...

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 9:00 PM

Finally!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 9:03 PM

SEMO wins 78-74!!! 5 RedHawks finish in double figures and the RedHawks shot 14-29(48%) from the free throw line! Look out OVC, here comes the RedHawks!!.....

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 9:04 PM
  • One in a row. They still looked like crap.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 9:08 PM

T-Roll... gonna need a tissue!

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 9:09 PM
  • Go semo go! I'm rooting for you Rick ray! I'll br there to see that Jacksonville st game! T-roll I can support and defend who I choose to, you quit making a fool out of yourself because like it or not the decision has been made and they have moved on maybe you should too instead of bashing any. And everybody that doesn't see it yyour way

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 9:10 PM

Heard there's video of him saying F-you to T-Roll and a few other posters! LOL

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 9:11 PM
  • Good one kool lol.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 9:14 PM
  • Ignorance would be you all thinking we want them to lose because of that chump Lol...

Tis not forget the worst start in program history was on the line

Least we don't have to worry about that on our mantle

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 10:26 PM
  • Well bust my breeches. They won one!

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 10:36 PM
  • I'll take credit for jinxing them into a win.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 10:36 PM
  • More complaining please

-- Posted by arich35 on Tue, Dec 22, 2015, at 11:55 PM
  • Good win!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 10:00 AM
  • Lol oh god if one of our teams was 0-9 and won one and someone said to watch out for their competitors you all would have a field day... Give me a break

I want em to be undefeated, will it happen anytime soon? No

Am I a realist? Yes

Do i like rays start here? No

Is it a good win none the less? Yes

Sorry I can't forget the past month over one win.....

-- Posted by superunbiased on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 12:12 PM
  • Well too bad cry me a river! Hater!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 12:38 PM
  • There's a reason why "Defensive Ace"'s initials are DA.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 2:44 PM
  • T-ROLL stands for rolly Polly I'm guessing. Wipe your mouth, biggin'.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 6:10 PM
  • T-ROLL stands for rolly Polly I'm guessing. Wipe your mouth, biggin'.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 6:10 PM
  • You should go up to semo find coach ray and tell him how u feel about him instead of doing from your computer. Man up! I'm sure coach would listen lol. Let me see if you say those tough things you say on here to him

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 6:12 PM
  • No, it's troll. My username is troll, so you really think anything you are going to say is going to bother me, you inbred nitwit. And by the way, I have told him how I feel to his face. He knows exactly who I am. Now, suck it.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Wed, Dec 23, 2015, at 8:39 PM

Our little t-roll needs a hug! T-roll and Rocket must hang out together! They have the same love for certain people and hate for most people(Non-Sikeston). They might be the same person, or at least pump each other up before posting! I'm sure Ray is soooo glad he got to speak with you and know your feelings! His team showing more cohesion since dropping the cancers is saying the same thing to you, SUCK IT! He apparently knew what he was doing!

Interesting!!!

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 1:42 AM
  • Kool-Aid...I haven't even posted on this thread (until now). Don't bring me into this....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 6:23 AM
  • 1-10 this season. 38-70 for his career. Yeah, apparently Rick Ray knows what he's doing...losing.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 8:23 AM

Rick Ray must have done something right. Since dismissing the players, SEMO dropped an 11 point contest to Ole Miss and was within single digits the entire game and then beat Missouri State in Springfield for the first time since 1981 and Missouri State beat Oklahoma State this year so I'd say this could be his turning point for this year. I see them winning maybe 4-6 more games. Considering their start they have had, that's a step up. And honestly, its not like the RedHawks had a cupcake schedule. They had one of the tougher schedules for an OVC team this year.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 9:13 AM

Their combined opponents record so far this year is 69-46. That's pretty good. The dude is in his first year. Give him a break. Its going to be hilarious when in a couple of years when Ray has a winning squad, all this will go away and these same people hating on him will be his biggest supporter haha.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 9:24 AM
  • cker23....Ray may do all of what you are suggesting PLUS some. However, I won't support him. EVER. I can assure you that.

I'm not going to post regarding this anymore. But, I KNOW the true story of what happened. I didn't hear it from someone and I didn't have to be "on the bus" or whatever nonsense some of you guys are alleging. I have WRITTEN confirmation of what happened or actually what DIDN'T happen. So I know the truth. Please continue with your speculations.....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 9:29 AM

Maybe JT should consider trying to transfer to Jacksonville State. They seem to have a pipeline here in Semo. And with the other Missouri boys down there, the team chemistry could be nice.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 9:36 AM
  • Rocket, it's foolish to continue to banter on about how you know the truth UNLESS you're willing to divulge the truth. Otherwise, you're no different than anyone else on this board.

I have a feeling that somehow, the men's basketball program at SEMO will not fold, even without the support of Rocket689.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 9:53 AM
  • ozzy...I'm certain the program will continue on without me. It came before me and will continue after me. That's not my point. I'm just saying I won't support the current coach. You have a right to support him...as I have the right to NOT support him.

If any of you know who I am, please feel free to come up to me....I'm not hard to locate. I will be happy to show you the documented truth.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 11:31 AM

Merry Christmas Rocket!

ozzyandharriet just seems to me to be a Semobagger and will eat anything that the school spoon feeds them, much like several other posters on this website like Defense Ace (who is definitely a DA) and Kool Aid. I'm glad their are people on this site who don't buy everything the school is trying to sell.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 12:48 PM
  • Merry Christmas to everyone as well...except for DA, Kool Aid, and Rick Ray. Hopefully they will choke on a turd.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 1:29 PM

Haha you guys crack me up! Lol Merry Christmas to you guys!! No turd choking for me lol!

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Dec 24, 2015, at 1:46 PM
  • Jolly dump and t-roll getting personal again. I guess I'll show up to Sikeston vs Charleston game maybe you two can say what's on your mind! Ha..

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Dec 25, 2015, at 12:13 AM
  • So many computer bullys. Holly dump you throwing my name in your convo was totally out of line. But I hope to see you in January!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Dec 25, 2015, at 12:15 AM
  • So many computer bullys. Holly dump you throwing my name in your convo was totally out of line. But I hope to see you in January!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Dec 25, 2015, at 1:16 AM
  • I can hardly wait.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Dec 25, 2015, at 2:07 PM

I'm not from Sikeston or Charleston, as I have said on this site several times. I am a transplant to Dexter.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Dec 25, 2015, at 2:33 PM
  • I'm not from Sikeston either. I live under the bridge, and none shall pass.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Dec 25, 2015, at 3:32 PM
  • "I believe in guys having opportunities and chances," Odom said.

about mauk the qb who was suspended twice for scarface's favorite activity

-- Posted by superunbiased on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 2:26 PM
  • Look like Semo played a pretty good game vs Belmont. Anybody watch the game?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 1, 2016, at 10:22 AM
  • Watched most of it online. They are definitely improving in several facets. They seem to have better energy and are gaining confidence. If they continue to improve they're going to win some OVC games this year. Hopefully rock bottom has already been hit and they're trending up!

-- Posted by Grussman on Fri, Jan 1, 2016, at 2:11 PM

Not gonna win trying to outscore everybody...better find a way to play some defense...

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sat, Jan 2, 2016, at 10:51 PM
  • It is pretty obvious the team is improving which is exactly what I was hoping for this year. To improve as the year goes on to show Ray can coach a team

-- Posted by arich35 on Tue, Jan 5, 2016, at 10:54 PM
  • The team is looking better, cant wait till Jan 13 when tucker, bogan, statam and the 2012 Missouri POY cam beschied (sp) it should be a good one! I think coach ray will get some nice recruits and build this program up despite how some may feel about it.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Wed, Jan 6, 2016, at 4:40 AM

Couldn't agree more... This program is going to be FINE!!!

With or without some of the local tears and complaining!

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Wed, Jan 6, 2016, at 8:26 AM
  • Improving?? they lost by almost 30 tonight! and you know the "local tears and complaining" are what fills that stadium and generates revenue.

-- Posted by Bleedredandblack on Thu, Jan 7, 2016, at 10:31 PM
  • You have to actually care about the players to be a good coach.

-- Posted by Bleedredandblack on Thu, Jan 7, 2016, at 10:32 PM

I know I'm local and a homer and what not, but that doesn't mean I'm not a knowledgeable basketball fan. Same goes for most of the other locals who take time to get on here, although I'm sure there are some that can be questioned but that's not the point here. The point is that SEMO still plays 0 defense. None. We've given up 80+ in all of the OVC games, anyone who thinks that makes the program absolutely fine is silly. If you can find me the last team that won a conference title giving up an average of 80+ then I'll reconsider. I'm curious as to what Ray's teams have been like defensively in past years.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Thu, Jan 7, 2016, at 11:45 PM

Last year they gave up 63.5 ppg, 2 years ago it was 71.3, and his first year at Mississippi State was 69.5 ppg. Those numbers are much more encouraging for SEMO basketball, so if he can get it there then maybe they'll be fine. Still not changing my position though, not yet at least.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Thu, Jan 7, 2016, at 11:53 PM
  • Were almost in last place for avg points scored and avg points scored against us

SIUE looks about as bad as us so maybe we can pull that one off, I know morehead state plays a pretty decent schedule and they also beat SLU but they almost dropped 100 on us. Are they that good? I really hope we dont go winless in conference play and i feel like maybe they could pick up 1 or 2. But were also getting to that point of the season where fatigue and little nagging injuries start to play a bigger role. Especially considering the lack of depth. Does anyone know the average minutes the starters play?

And it looks like some jynxed them.

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 1:50 AM
  • I'm glad to see they are looking better and improving.I would hate to see what that 33 point loss would have been if they were not looking better and improving.. Are you guys sure we are watching the same team.???

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 8:47 AM
  • Oh ,I'm sorry 27 point loss . Now that makes it better already.?

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 8:51 AM

How about those women though? First time they are 3-0 in the OVC since the 98-99 season!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 9:32 AM
  • Shout out to Coach Patterson

-- Posted by Kdub102002 on Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 12:34 PM
  • Yeah, a big shout out to the women's team. They definitely deserve more of our support.

Concerning the men...yeah, they had a crappy game last night. No argument there. But prior to that there was a several game stretch where there were marked improvements in a few different areas. Not perfection...but improvements. You've got to keep building on the previous gains even when you have a bad game and not throw everything out the window. It's called growing pains. And yes those pains are really painful right now!

-- Posted by Grussman on Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 1:18 PM
  • How many men's players this year are Ray recruits?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 11:02 PM

Hmmm good question, 1 or 2 maybe? Two of his recruits didn't end up playing.

Next year's commit Ray Kowalski received a McDonalds All-American nomination this week. This only public school player in North Carolina to do so. (UK commit Bam Adebayo from High Point Christian N.C. also received one)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 8, 2016, at 11:29 PM
  • Idk of any newly hired coaches that doesn't get ANY hold overs, stop being petty! I mean all this hate because he let a walk on and 2other guys that (wasn't his recruits) I get the timing of it all but the decision has been made we need to move on! Now we wanna toot the women's horn, too late I've been a,fan of theirs for 10yrs, why, because they lve always had the "local" players but now you wanna show support because tou wanna knock Ray. Five the man time, I guarantee you he will do better than nutt the used car salesman with that slick southern charm and slick talk. Dickey had 2 4star transfers with Williams a few yrs ago and stone and still did nothing. Give the man time! To be fair noe, Hackman, luttrell, Bolen, Conner, imani Johnson, the senior guard and 2other players were the previous coaches recruits and most sre Jr's and sr's so I mean! Coach Patterson is,doing a fund job with her crew but she had more to work with than Ray did. Props to her though!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 3:29 AM
  • Hey D.A. put the bottle down and go to bed..

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 5:28 AM
  • Thanks Buck! Seems like Nutt did pretty well with his own guys!! Ray isnt having any luck with Nutts guys but Patterson is doing very well with the holdovers.

Not hard to see who tbe best new coach is. Figuring out a way to work with what she has by adapting to her players strengths, instead of trying to shove a square peg in a round hole!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 12:52 PM
  • Pride that's petty! You are sitting here gauging the guys success or lack there of on some holdovers? Lol wow! Nutt didnt do jack and you know it. He was under .500 here at semo. Give the man time, hater!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 1:13 PM
  • As I said before the previous girls coach left wayyy nor than the guys had returning! The men had 2walk on player Isaiah and jt that in itself should tell you what he was left with. Ray is working with what he has and they're improving. We as fans have out opinions but its a good thing we're not making the decisions.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 1:18 PM
  • I disagree! My opinion.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 6:26 PM
  • Of course you disagree you're a hater!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 6:53 PM
  • I guess I'm too old to understand the "hater" reference!!

Just a realistic observation of the state of how the two teams are performing this year.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 8:33 PM

Come on IP quit being a hater ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 8:48 PM
  • I know Buck!! I'm sorry !!! LOL!!

Hey NMCC vs. Jackson is in Jackson this year!

Hope to see you there!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 9:06 PM
  • Stop using facts IP. It destroys "Defensive Ace" and his/her nonsensical rhetoric. He/She doesn't like that. If you continue, he/she might call you a hater again. I'm not sure you could bear that insult any longer.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 10:42 PM
  • Pat k dont say that, they'll hate u forever because of a walk on. These ppl are up in arms about a walk on, a walk on! Semo has never had a Sikeston player in their program before Nutt arrived! Prior to that none, but Nutt in his short time at semo he had 3 (porter, Jones, holifield) neither did nothing but I'm saying that to say this butt and holidield were close friends so maybe that had something to do with it.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Tue, Jan 12, 2016, at 2:56 PM
  • Think your right about that Ace.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 12, 2016, at 3:25 PM

SEMO women with a good win, now 11-7 and 4-1 in OVC, passing total wow and total OVC wins for all of last season. Sure wish Coach Patterson had something to do with that

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 8:56 PM
  • Buck o know that's a slight but in fairness coach Mergenthaler left a pretty good group of Jr's and sr's to work with. Coach Patterson has her imprint on these young women but she only recruited 3of'em. Not taking anything away from her she has those gals balling. Yall nigh as,well get ready because I will not be intimidated by you semoball gangsters! Know that buck major or papi or whoever you are

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 4:37 AM
  • I've been a,women fan since Charlestons own missy Whitney played there so I've followed them closely since then. Now how in tune were you with the women?

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 4:40 AM
  • With all the young talent in this area Im still surprised Ray didnt show up at the SEMO confefence tournament. You have to show interest to have any chance at getting them.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 7:37 AM
  • They only guys in Semo that could do them any good and possibly play there are Leech, Thatch and Jones and acoording to alot of people they are bigger than Semo.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 7:51 AM
  • Still kinda early to gouge bigel and that's what's crazy about it. The amount of talent in these underclassmen impresses me. If thatch is avg 20 & 10 as a sophomore with a good surrounding cast just imagine the next two years.

And obviously leeches upside. I think he is the only one that most are foreseeing to go way higher then semo if all goes as planned for him.

-- Posted by superunbiased on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 8:15 AM

Well I feel like you came at me and slighted me with my first post about the women a little ways up this thread. I was just trying to give the women some props, I wasn't saying a dang thing about the men nor have I even commented on their situation. And then you come out talking about I'm being petty and hating. I was probably Ray's biggest supporter on here when he was hired. Heck I was at his opening press conference. That's why I haven't said one single comment about the walkons or getting rid of players or anything. I'd give anyone a crist $100 bill if they can find one place where I said something bad about Ray (and I'm not giving approval or saying I agree with what he's done, just saying I haven't said anything about the man but good). And on that other thread about great coaches I was just asking if you were somebody, that apparently you didn't know, and you got all defensive. I also hadn't commented on that thread, because I agreed with most of what you were saying on there. I'm an NMCC guy, so I have the upmost respect for the McFerren and Farmer. Know I aint intimidated by no one either, nor am I trying to intimidate anyone.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 8:18 AM

Defensive Ace=

TROLLLLLLLLL

Hey Buck just a tip you feed the ignorant troll when you let him get under your skin! This guy has no credibility as you can tell he has already changed his name multiple times and gets awfully defensive about it when anyone says anything about it. Will you do us all a favor Defensive Ace and just add a picture of your favorite troll as your profile pic so we can remember when you say something stupid that you are a troll and we don't need to let you get everyone riled up.

-- Posted by Dancing Clown on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 8:49 AM
  • Fake fan buck! Fake fan Lol

-- Posted by superunbiased on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 2:32 PM
  • Clown go play! Your on every thread trolling me. Look at these post you are nowhere to be found except today, why because you for something you wanna say. The same stuff you've been saying on all the other threads. If you dont like it, just lee strolling on by my comments. If you wanna take things personal, which you have, we can handle that clown.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 2:39 PM
  • Super and clown two guys id really like to meet. I really would. Any ideas guys on when that can happen?

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 2:41 PM

Oh you young troll just have coke and a smile and settle down.

-- Posted by Dancing Clown on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 5:40 PM
  • Lol and what do you mean by handle it? You must have a problem with anyone questioning anything you say. Not that serious, and the fact you can't have an argument without wanting to meet up shows who is really taking this personally. I mean lord you jumped on buck who is literally just a die hard fan of this areas sports, who wants to see semo dominate the rest of the state and country and yet because you followed the team "first" you somehow feel entitled to the rights to say your a real sumo wbb fan Lol... Could have a psychology discussion from your posts defensive hate.

But im at the point I don't even want to respond to your posts, their just so stuck in the past and outlandish i can't help it.

Its called bantering, I get heated discussions, but implying you would do something in person to what intimidate people? Lol that's a little much for semoball.

Semo >

-- Posted by superunbiased on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 5:44 PM
  • DA just reading your post on this site and had to let you know Allan Hatchett was recruited by Ron Shumate and he played 2 or 3 years before he x-ferd to middle tn. and he was from Sikeston

-- Posted by Deadeye on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 7:42 PM
  • Duh I know that. Hatchett graduated in 95, everybody knows shumate was the coach what's your point? He still went to semo, that's all I stated!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 7:46 PM
  • Again superbiased dint put words in my mouth. I'd like to know where you read I was going to do something to someone. Maybe you think that Way because you're use to getn bullied. Yes,please,stop commenting on my post. Do that, it'll save both of us the headache

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 7:51 PM
  • My point was that you stated no one from Sikeston had ever played for SEMO before Nutt in your earlier post that's all

-- Posted by Deadeye on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 7:57 PM
  • Lol so please tell us all what you meant by handle it. And bullied? Is that what you think your doing? Lol somehow some way in your head you spin everyone's valid points into being wrong. And you must forget what you say on here a lot. Lets take deadeyes comment to you for the perfect example. He responds to one of your classic untrue statements and you answer him in a defensive and hostile tone. Can't tell if you intentionally do that or if you've just been labeled wrong on here.

But ill stick with the first one, and since I must be used to being bullied you must have not had very many friends with they way you respond to any form of critism or any view that doesn't match up to yours.

But im sure your next post will be saying you were the most popular and loved person in high school lololol

-- Posted by superunbiased on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 8:51 PM

Championship basketball being played in Cookeville tonight....

We got em right where we want them...down 30 at half! Tennessee Tech could probably play with 3 guys the rest of the game and still beat us by double digits

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sat, Jan 16, 2016, at 8:36 PM

Ouch!

Women go to 5-1 in OVC. Pretty incredible! Weren't they voted to finish last in the conference?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 16, 2016, at 9:05 PM
  • Look at the bright side! 2 wins is better than 1 or none.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 7:22 PM
  • If their not playing with pride must have bad attitudes need to get rid of some more players that should help, sounds like the system is working great!

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Mon, Jan 18, 2016, at 3:03 PM
  • The mans first year and folks acting like he suppose to win the ovc in his first yr! I guarantee you he'll turn it around.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Mon, Jan 18, 2016, at 11:18 PM
  • Defensive Ace , Mississippi State paid him to go away and are still paying him so he won't come back. Think about that for a while and see what you come up with.??? On a good note they should win the game tonight, but I wouldn't bet the farm..

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 5:45 AM
  • I agree Ace. I think he'll have Semo in a good place in a year or 2 and hey if he don't it's still better than a Nutt coached team.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 6:57 AM
  • Exactly...da old cat didnt semo pay Nutt to go away? Let that sink in for a day or two! I can tell you dont get it, these are not Ray guys, they're nutts guys. Miss st aint semo either, dont get it twisted. We act as though bob knight could save semo or something? All of this disdain because he let go 3players from ball, not school, but basketball.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 8:44 AM
  • 3 people who were only at that school for basketball

Bob knight could save semo

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 2:00 PM
  • In tonight's game, I'd take SEMO and give the points.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 5:16 PM
  • What's the spread joe?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 6:00 PM
  • IDK. It was a joke.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 6:24 PM
  • No problem! I've been looking for a new bookie!! Haha!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 6:28 PM
  • It must be a miracle that coach patterson is winning if u use same logic she should have zero wins also! she adjusted to what she has!

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 6:38 PM
  • That is a good point and I hadn't thought of that holycowman

What was semo's women's record compared to the means last year

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 6:47 PM
  • SEMO down 1 at halftime vs. Hannibal LaGrange

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 7:40 PM

😐

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 7:49 PM
  • Women last year. 10-19

This year. 12-7

Men last year. 13-17

This year. 2-16

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 7:51 PM

And women are currently No.1 in OVC after being preseason predicted to be last. So only 1 of those 7 losses are in conference play.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 7:55 PM
  • Great job Coach Patterson!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 7:55 PM

Here here!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 7:57 PM

SEMO put it on them in the second half! Gotta win the mist wins, and they did.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 8:35 PM
  • I don't think Patterson is going to be here for very long..

-- Posted by arich35 on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 10:52 PM
  • Lol those numbers speak volumes and that you fit your style of play to the team your dealt that first year.

And arich isn't one year a little soon to be making guesses on how a coach will do lolol

(An earlier post about ray)

And buck that's incredible and hopefully the season ends that way. First time in my following of semo basketball

Just goes to show what the right coach, and a TEAM can do

So what would everyone say is the main reason the semos men team is at the bottom of the bottom? Depth? Defense? Lack of scoring? What is the one evident big problem? If you can limit it to one.

And when is the ovc tournament and how many more games till then?

I know that's a lot of questions in one Lol but school started back up today so so does cramming

-- Posted by superunbiased on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 2:05 AM
  • Cry me a river! Ha ha super troll I mean hater. I didnt know you and da old cat were the same. Well I'll be.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 3:28 AM

superunbiased:

I've followed SEMO men's basketball very closely for the past 4-5 years, and casually before that. This team has no quality depth. When a player like Kyle Gullet is getting significant minutes on a D-1 team, it's going to be a long year. (NOT a slam on Gullet, I like the kid. He plays hard but is playing against guys way out of his league.)

Also, Kellum has been a let-down for me personally. I feared this after seeing him practice with the team last year, but was optimistic about him. The lack of depth, coupled with a complete lack of experienced big men, I think those are the biggest problems with the team this year.

However, I am optimistic about The Future, as I have dubbed Tony Anderson. This kid will develop into twice the offensive player Nino ever was. Eric McGill needs to be more consistent, but he also will be a key guy in the rebuild under Ray. Ray needs to find a true center that can own the paint on D, as Nino could do when he was on his game.

-- Posted by FeedThemHogs on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 12:47 PM
  • Defensive ace can you ever have a debate that when your point gets ddisprovn you have to start the name calling Lol. Your not even fun to talk sports with.

Thank you feed them hogs, would you say Wallace was a lot better then gullet? And was he a nutt or ray signee? I tried looking it up but couldn't find a specfic answer just a time around may?

Is it a common consensus that we are all looking to next year already and if they pick up one or two more wins that's just bonus?

-- Posted by superunbiased on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 1:58 PM
  • Wallace was a Nutt recruit. As I have said in other posts, I think he was pretty good. But I am not the coach and as has been stated, it is Coach Ray's team and he can do whatever the heck he wants with it. I have watched 95% of SEMO's home games and 50% of their away games over the past 5 years. My support is currently nada because I don't agree with his decision. This is America so I am allowed to voice an opinion. Also my prerogative how I want to spend my time and I can vote with my patronage. I am sure SEMO and Ray could care less except that over the next 3-4 yrs that would have equated to around 2G for seasons tickets/booster club. I can get my basketball fix a lot cheaper and more enjoyable watching Sikeston kick... As far as the OVC tournament and SEMO this year, not happening.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 4:11 PM
  • Should have stayed a D2 yearly contender nationally. Filling the Show me center! Man that was fun!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 6:26 PM
  • Sorry I was asking who recruited gullet.

-- Posted by superunbiased on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 6:32 PM
  • Ill never forget ole Earl Norman going crazy on the refs from his court side seat!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 8:11 PM
  • Pretty sure Gullet was not a Nutt recruit.

That was a lot of fun when they were packing the Show Me Center as a D2 program. There is something about a capacity crowd getting into it that creates a better atmosphere for the fans and the players. It's a pretty sad statement that SEMO cannot get more people in the stands given the support basketball has in Southeast Missouri. You see a lot of older people still watching high school basketball 30 years after they have graduated. Considering the number of students currently attending the SEMO basketball games, they will never develop that kind of following without student interest. Maybe they could develop a basketball appreciation course at SEMO and make attendance mandatory. 🤓

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 1:34 AM

Gullet is a walk-on.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 7:59 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification, and citizen why would 18-22 year old students spend 2 hours watching their team lose every home game? Only thing that will change that is winning and more of their star wars t shirt nights Lol

But I agree completely, pick a top tier semo conference school and 8/10 their games are going to be packed. Would it be a stretch to say that the semo conference tournaments average attendance was more then semos this season? But again that falls on semos athletic department, where someone gets paid to put bodies in seats

-- Posted by superunbiased on Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 8:10 AM
  • Like just imagine a recruit comes here on a visit to a basketball game and sees that he will be playing in a vastly empty arena every home game

-- Posted by superunbiased on Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 8:11 AM
  • The empty stands make a huge impact on recruiting. That's why SEMO often tries to schedule recruiting visits for the Murray State game. Need Murray State fans to help improve the crowd numbers. And you're right, more students will show up when they are winning. But in general from my travels in the OVC it looks like other programs that are struggling still have more fans and more students in the crowds. I wonder why? Maybe SEMO needs to put out a better product when they are competing against the great high school programs in the area for attendance. And the SEMO conference tournament has significantly better attendance. Maybe they could give out little Wookiee dolls and Star Wars T-shirts. Lol

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 11:15 AM

I've spoke with a couple of the guys that work in the athletic office and promote the games. He saw me and a couple guys at every home game, and asked us one time, 'What can we do to get students to come to games?' This was last year when the team was respectable. We told him we don't know. If kids can't walk a half a block to a FREE basketball game, there isn't much you can do to make them show up. All in all, there is no excitement among students on campus about any sports programs really, at least not that I ever noticed. The biggest buzz around any sporting event was football's homecomeing, but that wasn't for the game, that was excitement for the drunkeness. And although Greek Night fills the student section, its really a joke because they've never been there before, (and they'll never be back after they leave shortly after halftime) and they only care about out-doing the other frats and sororities during the halftime contests. It's sad, because they won't walk a half a block to games, but me and my buddies drive every game, bought season tickets this year because we graduated, and try to go to some away games like Memphis or SIU. But 99% of students just don't care.

Even if we come out next year and win every game in non-conference, and go 11-5 in conference, do well in OVC tournament, sure, they'll be there then. But come the following year if we go bad in non-conference, lose a couple of early conference games, they'll quit coming. End of story. They only care if the team is winning. These students that live on campus didn't grow up going to games with their parents in the late 90's early 2000's like we did. They know nothing except fair-to-middlin' to bad basketball.

-- Posted by FeedThemHogs on Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 4:58 PM
  • Itd take semo to be a powerhouse in the ovc for students coming in to know that semo is a fun team to watch. And tbh they haven't really been exciting in a long time. That Murray state game when mike was on the team was a fun atmosphere. And what student wants to watch a 3-15 team? I mean can't blame the students for what their parents didn't instill in them ya know? This is the time that semo needs to be building tradition, but we just go from coach to coach to coach, its a never ending cycle it feels like Lol. If they were to have a Murray state like season or Creighton's a few years ago or a witchia states (with our sec hc ;) then students would probably start showing up. And if during their time semo thrived they'd probably bring their future kids back. There's just not a stigma around semo sports like other schools and Idk if itll ever be changed

-- Posted by superunbiased on Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 5:11 PM
  • Students can really give a team a home court advantage. However, your team has to do well enough to generate their excitement. Shumate would rally the students on campus, but don't know if Ray is involved at all. The team is not competing in most games which keeps fans away no matter who they are + the previous decision of the coach to play shorthanded does not help.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Fri, Jan 22, 2016, at 8:33 AM

Whew

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 24, 2016, at 6:34 PM
  • A win is a win. I'll take it. Talking about the students, I'd venture a guess that somewhere around 95% of students go 4 or 5 years to SEMO and never go to a game. Sad.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Jan 24, 2016, at 8:04 PM
  • Look at whats happened at Zou. Theyve sucked for only 3 yrs now and no students go anymore. The largest crowd at Zou arena this season is about 7k. And that was for a GIRLS game. Boys are avg 5500 per game. Zou sucks about as bad as SEMO and the fans are being human. Who wants to sit thru the same bad movie over and over?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Jan 24, 2016, at 11:01 PM
  • That's bad for sure ciri!! But wouldn't SEMO love to have 5500 for a game??!!

They used to regularly!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Jan 24, 2016, at 11:37 PM
  • If it is about wins to get the students/crowds out maybe going back to D2 would be smart. Would be a hard pill to swallow for SEMO. I do think that to become successful in D1 it will take a lot of work, smart decisions, money, time, and some degree of luck to make the program relevant again. But in the end it is all about wins and OVC championships. Let's face it, Belmont and Murray State commit significantly more resources to their basketball programs than SEMO. Some of the things that might help: better pay for coaches, more assistants/support staff, development of an aggressive regional system of recruiting, better marketing, integration of interns that are get course credit at SEMO for marketing/basketball operations/student recruiting to games, more academic and social support for the athletes. I wonder how many athletes at Belmont and Murray go to practice/games hungry having not eaten that day. Getting a pizza after playing the game seems like a joke. How about an actual nutrition program conducive to athletic performance and free meals throughout the period when they are training and in season. My understanding is that the NCAA allows this but many programs elect not to exercise this option.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 10:14 AM
  • Who wants to go see D2 basketball? That doesn't excite me at all and I don't think it would help attendance that much to justify the move

-- Posted by arich35 on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 6:10 PM
  • arich. You must be too young to remember the great D2 days at SEMO. Imagine the SMC regularly near capacity for home games?? Well that's the way it was. Everyone is right. It takes winning to put people in the seats!! And that's what they did!!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 8:31 PM
  • I would rather watch D1 as well but it was pretty clear that when they were D2 the attendance was better. Whether a winning D2 team would now translate into better attendance is hard to say.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Thu, Jan 28, 2016, at 8:10 PM
  • 3 in a row.

I also think we have a bigger arena for the size of the school. A lot of smaller schools have small arenas that almost look like high school gyms. SMC is 3,000 seats bigger then SIUE's arena.

-- Posted by arich35 on Thu, Jan 28, 2016, at 10:16 PM
  • Please, please stop it with the nonsense talk of going back to D2. Just stop it.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Jan 30, 2016, at 8:41 PM
  • No. I will not !! Lol!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jan 30, 2016, at 10:48 PM
  • Suit yourself.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Jan 31, 2016, at 3:21 PM

I remember those D-II days with fondness. Those dastardly Mules coming to town and road trips to the University of Missouri for Slow Learners. The PA announcing of J.J. Edmonds. The Myers Hall gang sitting right behind the opponents' bench. If only we could get the bleachers back in Houck.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 31, 2016, at 4:11 PM
  • Man Larry those Houck days were awesome!!

SEMO was simply so good and had such a great following that the SMC had to be built!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Jan 31, 2016, at 7:38 PM
  • Those were heady days for sure, but any talk of going back to D2 is a disservice to Coach Shumate and all those teams that strived for bigger and better things, i.e. SMC and D1. I don't even know why I am discussing this.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Jan 31, 2016, at 9:40 PM
  • Because you care joe, because you care!

Just like me!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Jan 31, 2016, at 9:50 PM
  • Its a human defense mechanism to get nostalgic for the good ole days when a current situation is a living nitemare, which is whats happening at SEMO and Zou, literally no lite at end of tunnel for several years. We're just trying to keep from bashing our brains in haha!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 1, 2016, at 12:28 PM

Reading these 'good ole days' comments makes me wish I had been around then.

-- Posted by FeedThemHogs on Wed, Feb 3, 2016, at 3:55 PM
  • Semo baseball team, soccer team, gymnastics team, and track team don't seem to have a problem with playing division 1. I guess the pizza after there game is better pizza than the basketball teams. :)

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 1:21 PM
  • Lol...they must get Papa Johns and the basketball team gets Dominos. But in reality, more than just the pizza is better for most of those athletes. The day that the GPA for the basketball team is better than that of the Gymnastics team, will mean that we have gotten things right.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Mon, Feb 8, 2016, at 1:51 PM

That ain't gonna happen.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Feb 8, 2016, at 7:06 PM
  • The OVC had 3 one-point games, 1 two-point game and an 8 point game this weekend. Very tough league with much parity. Oh yeah, and a 27 point blowout involving two other teams.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Feb 14, 2016, at 11:48 AM

The team is struggling this year for sure. It was definitely a questionable fire of Coach Nutt considering when he took the program over it was one of the worst in the country and then the AD just jumps ship after firing the coach. I don't think Coach Ray can be to blame yet either. It takes a couple of years to get the guys that you need to operate in your system. Yes I know the girls have had significant success since making a change but you can't compare the two programs right now. Here is one thing that I have noticed with SEMO is that they continue to make the same mistakes year in and year out. Hire somebody who you know wants to build a program, you can say this for Nutt he had significantly improved the teams record in the years he was there and it didn't look like he was looking to try and jump at at the first time of success, he stayed at A-State for 20 years for example. SEMO has decided then to hire guys that want to use SEMO as a stepping stone. Where is the pride in that? We need someone who loves Southeast as much as we do. Someone who will recruit our local players, I am not saying that we have the greatest talent year in and year out but we have been fairly consistent in sending at least a couple of guys to D-1 every year in between all of our schools. Why can't SEMO get those guys and then fill in the stud Memphis and St. Louis players around them. You have to have role guys and guys that people want to come see. No one wants to come watch a team made up of every player from out of state, we don't know them!I am not saying the entire roster needs to be local but we have enough players come through that they can make up a chunk of the roster and you can still bring in horses! You can't tell me that Bogan, Andre, Blake Reynolds, and Gregg Tucker couldn't help the program out right now and set the standard of players going to SEMO and developing. You get those guys from every year in this area and plug in the horses around them and then you know that you have a team at least people will want to show up and watch. Colleges make the same mistake over and over again recruiting these guys that are good players but sometimes have questionable character between them looking for a quick fix. This is our area! SCC, Charleston, Sikeston, Jackson, Bluff, Cape, ND, and countless other schools how much tradition and pride do we have in our basketball?! More than most I promise you that and right across the river Southern Illinois is just as good and the players in Memphis and St. Louis can match up with anyone talent wise! We need to figure this out!

As far as the student sections go its 100% the greek life. Put your students don't hardly come to the game in numbers unless it is Greek night and then they wear their frat or sorority shirt instead of Southeast colors. They take no pride in where they are at. No school unity, they are separated, and don't care about the grand scheme of things as a whole.

-- Posted by Dancing Clown on Wed, Feb 24, 2016, at 1:33 PM
  • No coach is going to use a scholly on local guys year in and year out especially if they don't fit his style. I think Ray will put a decent team on the floor over the next couple years and if he does that's when i'll start going again and watching a few games but until they can start winning the seats are going to remain empty.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Feb 24, 2016, at 1:53 PM

I'm not saying that you have to sign them if they can't play but we have had enough good players in the area to make a good chunk of the team and we have let them pass on. And maybe a coach should give a scholarship to some of the better players in the area where there team is based. It has worked so well for us bringing in guys from all over who can "play". I am not saying it is the entire team but you have to have guys who bring in interest plain and simple, people care a lot about basketball around here. We have multiple D-1 players out there right now from the immediate area that SEMO didn't get and that play at SEMO's level. We need those guys. You know any guy who plays for Farmer, Church, Durden, Holifield, Scott, and a slew of other area coaches has been coached and will be willing to be coached! You bring those certain guys in and then plug the studs around them. You have to have role guys and our players are good enough to bring that with character. That is the greatest flaw in recruiting now and if you don't see that then you I question your understanding. You can't let guys like Reynolds, Bogan, and Andre get away. Are there guys that are a more talented out there? Absolutely but these guys have been coached and have won games and will be LOYAL to the program. It will set the standard for guys coming to SEMO because local have helped built it and develop it and have gotten better there. Then maybe instead of the Thatch's and Leech's of the world going off to play elsewhere we have built a good enough program with guys they know and respect they come here. I mean I watched Reynolds play against Duke early this year you can't sit there tell me that you wouldn't love to come and watch at SEMO. You have to get those guys and set a standard of doing it.

-- Posted by Dancing Clown on Wed, Feb 24, 2016, at 2:42 PM
  • Leech and Thatch are bigger than Semo and Reynolds is where he is for mainly for academic reasons. You say u don't have to sign all of them but then you say they could've signed those 4 guys u mentioned. Well that's 4 schollys that no coach is going to use up on local players no matter where the school is located.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Feb 24, 2016, at 7:31 PM

You are missing the point. If SEMO is where they need to be athletics wise then they can get those certain guys and why wouldn't they use them on those guys? They are playing at Jacksonville as freshman and Jacksonville is better than SEMO at the moment. You don't understand how it works and how to build a program you see individuals and talent on the outside but sometimes that isn't everything. There are ways that you build programs and ways that you don't. The SEMO area has one to two players most years that could play at SEMO. Are there any this year probably not, next year? Probably not as well but last year there was. It is about creating local support for the team. If you sign one or two a year if they can play then that is all you need, it is about developing a system where you can put players in not just going out and recruiting athletes for the sake of athletes. It is a huge misconception. Belmont recruits guys who can play and they continue to beat our better athletes year and year out. If SEMO had set the trend of getting those guys then they could have gotten Reynolds, whose dad is the band director at SEMO, you get those guys and plug in studs around them. It is simple and you build a program that way! And while yes Leech and Thatch are potentially really good players if SEMO was on the level of Murray State or Belmont, where they should be, they could go there. Murray took a kid from Memphis who nobody wanted and helped become the 14th overall pick. Belmont also has Ian Clark playing in the NBA as well. Sometimes being the best player at a certain level will get you the best looks. I do understand where you say that they are higher level then SEMO is now but there are there certain things that I believe that they could do to turn the program around.

BTW what do you mean when you say that is 4 scholarships that no coach is going to use up regardless of where the school is located? Those 4 players all play Division 1 right now and play decent minutes as freshman. That is outlandish to say that.

-- Posted by Dancing Clown on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 7:57 AM
  • I mean 1 school isn't going to give 4 local guys shcollys just because they are local kids. They may not fit the system or they may not need players at whatever postion they play.It really doesn't matter if those kids don't fit what he wants to do. That would be just stupid to recruit a kid just because he's local if he doesn't fit. And no Leech and Thatch wouldn't even consider any OVC school when they will more than likely have Major D-1 schools offering them hell Leech already has bigger offers than that. And i would hope Tucker was getting minutes he's pretty much a senior. I understant what your saying about getting 1 or 2 local kids but personally i don't care where the players are from as long as Ray gets guys who fits what he wants to do and starts winning.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 8:50 AM

I heard SEMO is looking at one former local player that I'm pretty excited about. I'm sure you guys can figure out who that might be. But there are other schools too that are performing better than SEMO currently.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 9:38 AM
  • I hope so Buck he's been doing quite well this season.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 10:48 AM

Me too BigE, me too.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 11:52 AM
  • Big Tucker is 21yrs old..literally turned 21 three months ago. So Tucker getting minutes because he should be s senior? No he starts and have been since game 6 of the season and is the teams best defender! Tucker went D1 outta high school so it's not like he doesn't belong! He arrived at jsu the whole campus thought he was a football player from his build. Good player. Great young man!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 2:55 PM
  • How is he just 21 did he graduate high school at 16.Look i like Tucker and he may be their best defender but have you seen his numbers, 28% for three and he's taken 140 of them. Yes he went D-1 out of high school and hardly ever saw the floor then went to powerhouse Iowa Western and don't know what happened there but he wasn't there long.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 3:14 PM
  • My bad on the age i was thinking he graduted in 2011.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 3:20 PM
  • He was at Iowa Western for a semester before finishing the yr out at Mac. It doesn't matter, he qualified to go D1 from his schooling and his abilities! I'm thinking you are some type of hater if the kid isn't yours. Did your kid go D1 big, is that why ur so bitter? Did tuck two yrs at mac hurt his playing time? This college basketball, not high school. His coaches are not complaint ING but a hater from bluff is? Just be happy that the young man is in school and will graduate dec of 16 so say what u like, he's a student athlete.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 10:42 AM
  • So what happened at IW he couldn't play there or what?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 11:22 AM
  • He got injured, he wouldve missed the first 8-10games which wouldve put him way behind so he finished the semester and left. Never played at Iowa Western but chose to invade mac were Frazier Jr and his former teammate aaron cassell. Where was your son big? I'm just saying!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 11:32 AM

Hey Buck, who is the former local player SEMO is looking at? I can't always keep up with local basketball as much as I'd like to.

-- Posted by FeedThemHogs on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 1:00 PM
  • Frazier Jr didn't play when he was at MAC. Frazier Jr. played the year before Tucker did and they either didn't want him back for his Soph. year or he chose to not come back. Why do you keep bringing up my son? He had already graduted befor Tucker was playing at MAC.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 2:04 PM
  • XI didn't say Tucker played with Frazier Jr I said he went there in part because both cassell and frazier Jr was there. Tuck sit a whole yr, a semester at IW and semester at Mac. So yes tuck was there while Frazier Jr was there

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 5:13 PM
  • I brought up your son because you seem to critique every kid thst plated at mac, it seems. So where did your son go after Mac? Was it D1 OR some NAIA school?

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 5:16 PM
  • He didn't go anywhere. He only had had a couple schools show interest and they were d2. He pretty much was burned out playing. And i meant he didn't play with Jr I know he was there for a semester. I don't and didn't ever talk up my son on here like some people do. I knew as well as he did he wasn't even close to being a D1 player so no I'm not bitter about it cause we knew all along he wasn't that caliber of a player. I tried like hell to get him to keep playing but he was done.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Feb 26, 2016, at 6:49 PM
  • Nothing wrong with that, some kids wanna do other things. I totally get it

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 3:11 AM
  • Big just thought u should know...Greg Tucker had a career high 36 today vs Morehead St! How bout them apples.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Sat, Feb 27, 2016, at 7:11 PM
  • Yea seen that

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 5:38 PM
  • Hey Buck who is the former SEMO local that SEMO has showed interest in? Love to hear that Rick Ray may be looking at local talent!

-- Posted by semoballuser on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 7:34 PM

Sorry, that would be Jimerson. Now that is just what I heard, and I don't like typing hearsay but I feel it's pretty accurate. So take it for what it's worth. But I also hear a few other schools were looking at him as well. He made division second team. Had a really good year and was second or first in all major categories on his team. I think the current point guard is headed to VCU (which is a great mid major). So I could see Willie taking over even more next year and exploding to a VCU level school.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 7:44 PM
  • That'd be awesome to see him at a vcu type school and unfortunately for all of us wed rather him choose one of those for his own personal success then our semo

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 11:41 AM
  • Glad to hear that Willie is doing well! Didn't know what kind of interest he was drawing.

-- Posted by semoballuser on Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 5:58 PM
  • Not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but...

Dickey Nutt took over Zac Roman's 2008-2009 team that went 3-27 and won 7 games in his first season.

Rick Ray took over Dickey Nutt's 2014-2015 team that went 13-17 and won 5 games in his first season.

Great fire and hire semo.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 4:41 AM
  • You got the great fire right!!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 6:54 AM
  • And that means what troll? Absolutely nothing, stop being petty 2more **** wins and you think that's something to point out? Let's see u talk that noise next yr. They only lose I. Jones. I'm pretty sure Ray will recruit his needs and get bigger guys. Stay tuned!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 9:44 AM
  • T-Roll,

Lol you know nothing about basketball. Go play in your division 5 city league.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 11:48 AM
  • The records indicate that Dickey Nutt took a worse team and made them better. They also show that Ray took a better team and made them worse. Insult me all you want. I don't care what you think about me. At the end of the day, you are the one choosing to be ignorant by ignoring the facts.

Godspeed.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 2:16 PM
  • T-Roll. Although your thoughts are often dumb, we can all see that you're intelligent by the way you type. That being said. Surely you're not shallow enough to think that the record, in this particular situation, after only one year, can be used as a measuring stick of how well Ray can coach?

Ray has a very poor coaching record. He's been a head coach for 3 years, correct? Dickey Nutt is a .500 career coach and was a head coach for 20 years.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 3:11 PM
  • Darn those pesky facts. I am simply pointing out that Nutt's first year at SEMO was more successful than Ray's. The only reason you think the thought is "dumb" is because you don't agree with it and can't refute it.

Ray is simply not a good coach as shown by his overall 42--84 (.333) head coaching record over 4 years. I'm not saying he can't get better, but he hasn't shown that he can get the job done.

More facts: Nutt was 62-51 (.547) in his first four years as a head coach.

Round 2 goes to Nutt as well.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 5:08 PM
  • More facts: Rick Ray took over at MSU in his first year and won 10 games in his first year. This is better than his first year's work at SEMO. However, the year prior MSU win 21 games under Stansbury and received an NIT bid.

Over the next 2 years, Ray's amazing recruiting produced a season of 14 wins and and 13 wins. He was then summarily terminated as head coach.

Facts gentlemen.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 5:38 PM
  • Please. Your entire insinuation with your "facts" that anybody can look up on Google is that Nutt is a better coach than Ray.

Simply put, you're facts only prove that anyone can find information on the Internet AND that Rick Ray has not coached nearly long enough to be compared to Dickey Nutt, good comparison or bad.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 6:14 PM

Well let's just throw context of those seasons completely out the window.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 6:51 PM
  • What recruits does Coach Ray have coming in next year?

-- Posted by semoballuser on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 7:35 PM
  • Do we know what Ray may be able to get done in a couple years when he has the guys he wants in his system, no we don't but we do know what Nutt did after he had the guys he wanted which was same ole underachieving 500 seasons just like his whole career.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 8:23 PM
  • Ah yes, the "state your unsupported opinion in the face of overwhelming facts to the contrary to discredit reality" tactic. You guys should run for political office.

The truly humorous element at play here is that anyone could believe that SEMO can sustain a better than .500 run of seasons. Shumate didn't even do that and people want to put him in the hall of fame.

Lay off the Rick Ray Kool-Aid fellas.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Mar 3, 2016, at 10:12 PM
  • You act like your opinion is the one that matters troll. Let's just wait and see. Nutt took in several D1 transfers and did what? Signed 3sikeston guys? That's your beef, one was let go? Come on man. Let it goooo. Semoballuser he has to go recruit, I'm sure he and his staff are on the road now. Miss St is a big 5 conf, dicjt nutt been coaching for 20plus yrs and he is under 500 at two sub big 5confs schools. This is the first time in 8yrs semo doesn't have one or two Arkansas guys that couldnt play dead. Not to mention both of his sons even tho Lucas was ok. I thought this urs team fought hard being under manned and all but I felt the foundation was set, he has about 3,4scholarships let the man work btw who was dicky big recruits, troll @ semo?

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 3:40 AM
  • When has SEMO ever had a big recruit?

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 6:21 AM
  • I don't know if Ray will turn Semo around or not and i don't care who they have as the coach as long as it's not Nutt who proved for over 20 years he SUCKED at coaching and was incapable of doing any better than what we seen out of him.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 7:09 AM
  • SEMO since becoming D1 in 1991:

Coach / Term / SEMO record / Career Record

Rick Ray / 2015 - / 5--24 (.172) / 42--84 (.333)

Dickey Nutt / 2008 - 2015 / 80-107 (.428) / 273--296 (.475)

Scott Edgar / 2006 - 2008 / 23-29 (.442) / 119-115 (.509)

Gary Garner / 1997 - 2006 / 123-128 (.490) / 221-236 (.484)

Ron Shumate / 1991 - 1997 / 71-95 (.428) / 101-119 (.459)

Anyone else see a pattern here?

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:30 AM
  • T-roll seems to believe that because he has the ability to log on a computer and find records of coaches that he is some kind of basketball judge of coaching quality aficionado.

I can't find anyone on Semoball that has ever tried to pump up any coach that has ever coached at SEMO, other than Shumate. So your little super cool let's show everybody I can type numbers means very little.

History is probably against Rick Ray. But the simple fact that you ignore is that he just has not coached at Semo long enough to determine if that will be the case or not.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 9:39 AM
  • Ray has four years of head coaching experience. His record is 42-84. He's done nothing to show that he can coach successfully at the D1 level.

Facts suck when they don't fit your narrative, don't they?

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:03 AM
  • Bless your little hear with your little facts. I bet you have some nice little flash cards handy. LOL

I'm trying to find this imaginary person who's disputing your facts. LOL

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:19 AM
  • Me too ozzy.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:35 AM
  • Oh, you mean the facts that tend to discredit the statement that there isn't enough information to determine how Ray might perform at SEMO?

No one is disputing the facts because they are indisputable, but there are clearly some here that are hanging onto a false hope that Ray will somehow turn it around at SEMO. Talk about imaginary! I'm not sure Coach K could turn it around at SEMO, much less a guy with a 4 year head coaching winning percentage of 33%.

But I guess if people want to continue to misplace their hope in a coach that is worse than mediocre, then maybe I should be the one saying bless your HEART.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:42 AM
  • LOL. Yes. Again. I think we'd all agree that your flash cards have facts that are indisputable, unless you fail to record the information correctly. haha

I am willing to submit that you are capable of winning an arguement with a 5th grader.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:45 AM
  • Troll just know he'll do better than Harry dickey nutt that's his gov name, I know him really well from his asu days. One yr can't possibly tell you anything that's different from the previous yr. Go troll somewhere else. 20plus yrs no big 5conf school would even give nutt a look, let alone a job...

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:53 AM
  • Troll just know he'll do better than Harry dickey nutt that's his gov name, I know him really well from his asu days. One yr can't possibly tell you anything that's different from the previous yr. Go troll somewhere else. 20plus yrs no big 5conf school would even give nutt a look, let alone a job...

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:53 AM
  • But ray got a big conf job and people down there literally despise him. Like hate.

I don't know if he's the guy for semo or not but someone posted on here earlier we need a coach that wants to be at semo more then semo wants him to be here. Not a stepping stone after a lack luster performance or to build his name up to move on. Needs someone who will embody what south east Missouri means and take the time and effort to BUILD a program. From players to fan support to pr, because all semo has done is put a cork into each hole of the sinking ship that arises next.

And if that doesn't show you all you need to know about semos athletics department then your not looking at the whole picture.

So what happens if ray goes .500 for the next 4 years? Let him go? What if he really wants to be here and is .500? What if he made it to the tournament how much longer after that do you guys think he would stick around?

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 2:59 PM
  • I was always interested to see what an All-SEMO team would look like. Feel like they could do better than the team that was out on the floor this year.

-- Posted by semoballuser on Sat, Mar 5, 2016, at 11:56 AM
  • From SEMO:

"Forward Tony Anderson is leaving the Southeast Missouri basketball team after one season.

A native of Columbus, Ohio, Anderson has withdrawn from classes at Southeast. He plans to hire an agent and enter his name in the NBA Draft.

Head Coach Rick Ray and Southeast administration met with Anderson extensively to discuss the lasting implications that withdrawing from school will have on his academic status now and in the future. Also, how hiring an agent revokes his amateur status forever."

-- Posted by Fish on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 9:15 AM

SEMO's Tony Anderson is declaring for the NBA Draft after his freshman season. Lol okay. I understand with the new declaration rules, it's not bad to test the waters. But it is being reported he has withdrawn from classes and hiring an agent. So there's no coming back, no longer an amateur. He averaged 5 points and 2 rebounds. I didn't know SEMO had one-and-dones now.

Is also like to announce I'm declaring for the draft. Ciri will you be my agent?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 9:18 AM
  • The beat goes on. A bench player for the worst team in the OVC declares for the NBA draft. This could be the start of more players leaving. Going this long without an AD is more than baffling.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 9:27 AM
  • Regarding Tony Anderson. Is this really true? Is this some kind of joke? He could not even hardly hold his ground in the paint in the OVC. He does have a nice skill set, but NOT THAT NICE!

Seriously, is this some kind of joke? LOL

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 9:31 AM

He would be lucky to make the St. Louis Riversharks bench.... If you don't know who they are, look them up. This is crazy. Is he really that goofy?? A very dumb move!

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 9:42 AM
  • semoballuser the comment of an All-SEMO team hanging with the SEMO men's team has got to be a joke. The jump from high school to D-1 is big, even if the D-1 team is bad. If you don't think it is then you are fooling yourself.

-- Posted by tobedetermined on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 11:19 AM
  • I swear toobedetermined. Folks on this site will name 5,6 seniors every yr, claiming they can play college ball just because they're fans or what not. I honestly see No D1 type player around the area except Beel and to a certain extent AL Young. It's about skill set not stats. Bottom line tho, for those who are critiquing the young man Anderson...ITS HIS DECISION, ITS HIS LIFE! Like how many of you would want to hear somebody else tell you what they think you should do? Lol it's funny. Btw Declaring for the draft and hiring an agent gets him in the combine and in workouts not just for the NBA but other leagues and overseas. How do you guys know that Anderson has contacts or knows someone that knows somebody? I'm just saying, never know!

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 1:22 PM
  • 'Twould be an honor King Buck. My fee would be 10% of ur earnings, payable in Chubby's BBQ.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 3:32 PM
  • Hahaha believe me I know far far more about basketball than I give off in these forums. The class of 2014 and 2015 had tons of talent that would have made it at SEMO and been far better than this year's team. As for this year's class there is no one even close to being a D1 basketball player.

-- Posted by semoballuser on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 3:41 PM

Regarding Anderson leaving... How long before the other chips (McGill specifically) start falling?

If you told me that a player would leave, I'd have bet money on Jaylin Stewart. Anderson would have been my last choice. I mean, c'mon! OK, so he wants to play professional basketball, I get that. But how much better of a player would he be three years from now after being an integral part of a team that would feature him, because we have no other big men (at this time)?

And now... the door opens for Kyle Gullett to rise to the occasion and single-handedly take this team to the NCAA tournament next year. Haha

-- Posted by FeedThemHogs on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 3:54 PM

You got yourself a deal bud! If you want to go ahead and start working on marketing materials, I wanna go with "King Buck: Hangtime like a Coat Hanger"

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 3:54 PM
  • Semoballuser,

Still waiting?

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 4:03 PM
  • Got it!! The scouts are gonna wanna know if ur shoulder's fully healed from when u dislocated in on the rim whilst windmilling. Ur 100%, right?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 4:12 PM
  • Semoballuser are you back tracking? Honest question. You said an All-SEMO team could hang with SEMO, then said that a team from 2016 didn't have D1 talent. Are you talking all time best players (EVER) from SEMO?

-- Posted by tobedetermined on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 4:43 PM

Better than ever!

And I don't wanna play for the 76ers.

And while we're at it, Toronto. To cold. And I can't go around saying "eh" all the time.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 5:28 PM
  • Anderson just realized how awful Rick Ray actually is and thought it better to take his chances at pro ball.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 5:45 PM
  • ^ Lol people would rather risk going undrafted and play overseas or in the d league then stick it out and grow as a player here.

We get an oak hill recruit and he showed promise for our team and we can't get him to stay.

But ill sit here and continue to listen to your calls argument on how southeast Missouri state university shouldn't take an approach that embodys the semo area Lol

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 7:53 AM
  • Or the kid is a headcase and thinks he can actually make it

-- Posted by tobedetermined on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 8:25 AM
  • For all you people who think SEMO High School basketball is just full of D1 talent, please do yourself a favor and go watch the Missouri Challenge at end of season.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 8:49 AM
  • Agree 100% Bobby

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 10:51 AM
  • I've stated before how hard it is to agree with BIGELW. But he and BobbyKite22 are correct. SEMO doesn't have the talent to match up with STL, KC or SWMO. It is what it is.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 1:17 PM
  • God bobby you are literally a know it all. Where once did I say hey lets recruit nothing but semo kids. Hey lets fill a roster full of nothing but our area people who may be college level players? Not once?

But by representing semo we keep going out and grabbing kids from everywhere except stl, kc, NWA, SI, WK, SWMO

So Mr brainiac since you brought up the Missouri challenge how many of those top level guys do you think get over shadowed by the porters and tatums of the world and need a solid place to go? How many of those kids are going somewhere far out of state? How many of them are capable of playing at a Semo level?

Im fine with a connection with memphis, but we get an oak hill kid who obviously had one agenda in mind and that wasnt taking any pride in wearing a semo jersey across his chest. Give me a roster full of people who take pride and actually want to be here to build a team and ill give you all your stepping stones from the east and west coast. Coach samauels was notorious for it and look at the solid recruits tukes brought in from a decent sized radius.

You guys are a broken record and no one is honestly gonna say year in and year out that our high school teams are loaded with prospects

But willen, stratum, tucker, bogen, Flanigan, jimmerson would have all taken pride in wearing a semo uniform.

And there's more i just don't feel like going through recruits. Are we recruiting any of the vashon studs? Father toltans, barstows, Webster's groves? Cbcs? Lafayette? Rolla? Hazelwood? Hogan prep? Rockhurst? Vianney? Etc...

I highly doubt it. And its a shame because were the third biggest school in Missouri and could probably land a few diamonds in the rough and over looked guys with chips on the their shoulders whod actually wanna play here.

That's what I meant bobby knight Jr. Mizzou doesn't close the boarders here so why not step up the the plate.

Gullet sure is a stud bobby, dossier too Lol

We have a guy from NY, Ohio, FL, and the rest are from tenn, Illinois, and Kentucky

But yup Ur right the semo area in the last 3 years haven't had 2 recruits who are better then a gullet or dosier. If their even still on the team lmfao

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 10:13 PM
  • Lol jwhitlock just agreed with the point I was making that bobby and bigelw changed up to throw shade LOL

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 10:15 PM
  • Not one Missouri kid on our roster this year, that's sure resoresents what SEMO is about

Redhawks football team picked duo Garrett who probably didn't have the biggest offers and he became a 4 year starter and stud of a linebacker. But hey lets not give any Missouri kid a chance

Dante probably will turn out into a successful qb and im sure semo was his biggest offer. And oh look its a hometown boy

Hey look we have Anderson declaring for the draft after taking up scholly spot to come off the bench . just picked up the premier player in our area in Al and lets see how that turns out for them.

You guys act like the level of recruitment semo gets are up there with Mizzou.

Like give me a break. Seriously if the semo area has a kid that can play at the level lets pick them up. There's 3 at jsu. If stl has a stud that's getting overlooked hey lets pick them up, etc. I honestly couldn't tell you the last big Missouri player semo had that wasnt outside of the semo area? You guys are really saying that semo can't get any overlooked guys out of stl kc swmo semo Arkansas that are better then gullet and dossier??

Hey bobby where do you think Paul mcroberts came from?

-- Posted by superunbiased on Tue, Mar 8, 2016, at 10:32 PM
  • There's one reason JSU has 3 and that's because of Dean. If he wasn't there they wouldn't be there either and it's not like JSU is much better than Semo. I don't see how anybody can judge Ray on 1 season when he hasn't had a chance to get the guys he wants. I'm sure he has connections to other parts of the country to recruit from that Semo hasn't had in the past. I just say you have to give the guy a few years to see.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Mar 9, 2016, at 10:31 AM
  • I will piggyback off of what BIG says. Why are we comparing SEMO to Jacksonville State? Because neither has been very good. I don't care if J. State has SEMO kids. Can they perform at that level? Can they play meaningful minutes for a program that can compete at the top of the OVC? Now maybe Bogan and Tucker can. Maybe J. State improves next year. And yes, SEMO could take at least one local kid a year, regardless of how good they are and still recruit regionally or nationally. Of course, SEMO should be actively recruiting Stl, Memphis(which it has in the past), Kansas City, SPringfield, Louiville Kentucky, etc to get the best talent available.

Regarding football, SEMO, in my opinion plays a lower level in football, competition wise, than the basketball program does. Football also requires more roster spots. Therefore, it's a little easier for the football program to take more local recruits because of these circumstances.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Mar 9, 2016, at 10:40 AM
  • One thing you are leaving out of all of this....what if the kid doesn't want to stay around here or can play at a bigger school? You say let's pick them up, but it isn't that easy. Of course the problem with having fringe locals is all the local know it all fans that think you should get more minutes, etc.

-- Posted by tobedetermined on Wed, Mar 9, 2016, at 11:43 AM
  • Anyone know if Al has any intentions of lacing em up on the hardwood for SEMO?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 9, 2016, at 2:01 PM

I've been waiting on one of the national draft analyst guys to write about Anderson. Jeff Goodman finally did. I asked a few of them a couple days ago, thought about asking Jeff, but didn't. I don't really care for him that much, but he's been the only one to write something so here it is.

He commented outside the article that he tried to explain to Anderson that he can test the waters this year with the new rule, get feedback, and return to school. But he was persistent he didn't want to. (Which he's already quit classes).

I made two points on the forum in the high school section on why he might be leaving. Judging from the article, I think pieces of both points were correct. He doesn't care for SEMO, and he probably has a bit of Oak Hill Syndrome.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14951851/southeast-missour...

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Mar 11, 2016, at 8:14 PM
  • Very interesting Buck. Have you seen him play? Does he have any chance?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Mar 11, 2016, at 9:18 PM

I have. Chance at NBA, he will not get drafted. Chance to play professionally. Maybe.... There are a lot of professional and semi professional teams around the world. You can pretty much find a team in every country. There are also some summer tourneys that D-league guys play in. Maybe he can get in one and have a great game or something. But the comment is the article that his game fits the pros better than the college game is mind boggling to me. That statement can apply to some college players. Like UK's Jamal Murray. I think his game will translate to the pros better than at UK. We are seeing it with Devin Booker. He is the youngest NBA player and is the only teen besides Lebron to have back to back 30 point games. Buuuuutttt, when that statement is made, the player is normally still a really good college player. Not averaging 5 and 2.

Now I think the chance does change with 2 more OVC years. There are a few former OVC players having really good NBA careers. Not to mention D-league. But I'm not seeing the timing right now. I don't see him playing professionally in the states.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Mar 12, 2016, at 12:16 AM

When ESPN reached out to several NBA executives about Anderson, the response was the same:

"Who?" one texted.

"I have no clue who that is," another said.

"He needs to go back to school," a third said. "With those numbers -- on that team -- he doesn't have a chance."

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Mar 12, 2016, at 1:16 PM
  • Anybody have any news on how the recruiting is coming along?

-- Posted by semoballuser on Mon, Mar 14, 2016, at 7:35 PM

They've been pretty busy after the season ended.

Commitments:

Ray Kawolski. From North Carolina. Really good player, was a McDonalds All American nominee.

Denzel Mahoney from Florida.

Tajh Eaddy. Just got a commitment from Tajh I believe. Big PG who is a floor general type and can shoot. Played at Tennessee Prep Academy. From Connecticut I believe.

Offers I know of:

Alou Dillon from Wisconsin 2016. Visited in October.

Jordan Giles. 2016 6'7 SF from Alabama

Tavin Lovan. 2017 G from Kentucky

Sam Orf. 2017 SG from Missouri (CBC)

Sam Potts. 2017 G from Missouri (Webster Groves)

Interest:

Reid Walker. 2017 wing SEMO is looking at. Has a 30 ACT and wants to go Ivy League though.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 14, 2016, at 8:09 PM

Dondre Duffus has committed to SEMO

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 15, 2016, at 12:53 PM
  • Anyone have any clue why so many players transferred away recently?

-- Posted by semoballuser on Thu, Apr 21, 2016, at 12:57 PM
  • Semoballuser,

Read the articles

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Thu, Apr 21, 2016, at 4:03 PM

Does anybody know if SEMO is looking at any PF or C? Trey Kellum and Joel Angus are not big enough to consistently compete on the inside, and so far, all of the signees are guards. We're going to get eaten alive on the inside unless we find a true C or PF. Joel works hard, and I like his style of play, but he's just not big enough to play against 6-9 and 6-10 guys.

-- Posted by FeedThemHogs on Fri, Apr 22, 2016, at 12:12 PM

Per Brian Snow "Daniel Simmons, 6'3" guard from East Mississippi Comm. Co. just committed to SEMO"

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 25, 2016, at 9:34 AM

But again that's another guard. And I I haven't heard of any big men. Which if some don't hop on board fast, I don't see SEMO even surpassing last year's record.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 25, 2016, at 9:46 AM

My mistake, you are correct. He has also picked up a bunch of other offers since I made that post.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 27, 2016, at 2:13 PM
  • Basketball is a guard game for sure nowadays but without a decent big of some sort SEMO will struggle as Buck said.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, May 2, 2016, at 12:17 AM

Milos Vranes a guard out of North Dakota State College of Science has committed to SEMO.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 11:34 AM

He's from Serbia. 6'7, so he will join SEMO's other two 6'7 guys as the tallest guys on the team

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 11:45 AM
  • when I looked him up at his JUCO.. 1 year he was listed as a G and the other he was listed as F/C

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 11:49 AM

Saw the same thing in a few places. Looks like an inbetweener. Not really big enough to be a forward, probably can shoot and handle like a guard.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 12:24 PM
  • they still need another true post.. can even be a 6'7 guy but he better be a load in the paint.. 6'7" 235 minimum that way Kellum only has to play opposing 5's about half of the game. and then this guy and Angus can maybe be stretch 4 types even though Angus doesn't have that kind of range. As awful as his decision was I wish they had Tony Anderson returning.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 1:00 PM

I agree 100% with everything you said.

You have to think Ray wasn't recruiting that position particularly hard, knowing you had a former Oak Hill big man freshman coming off the bench. Had to be quite the shocker when he decided to leave. Probably playing some recruiting catch up now.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 5, 2016, at 1:44 PM

JT Jones is transferring to NAIA's Lindenwood-Belleville. Good luck to JT!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, May 6, 2016, at 8:25 AM

5'10 PG Jonathon Dalton has committed to SEMO from JUCO Co-Lin Community College.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, May 13, 2016, at 6:36 PM

SEMO got a commitment from 6'8 big man William Tchiengang (pronounced chain-gang, I'm not joking). He is originally from Cameroon and played at JUCO Midland College in Texas. That's a really good school. I'd have to think SEMO is done with their 2016 recruiting class now.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, May 21, 2016, at 12:02 PM

Wonder if Tchiengang is any relation to Steve Tchiengang from Vanderbilt a few season ago.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sat, May 21, 2016, at 2:52 PM

Can't find anything where they are related. Did find an article listing Steve's bothers and William wasn't one. Both are from Cameroon though, but that may be a popular name. I remember Steve caused a stir against UK's 2012 title team when he punched Kentucky's Marquis Teaque. Was pretty minor, and Coach Cal even had to address it and tell people to calm down it wasn't that big of a deal. That's pretty much all I remember about Steve haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, May 21, 2016, at 3:22 PM

Former SEMO player Jaylin Stewart is transferring to Prairie View A&M

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, May 30, 2016, at 12:19 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: