Posted by cker23 on Thu, May 14, 2015, at 9:09 AM:

I'm really looking forward to this upcoming football season for the RedHawks. I think expectations are high for Coach Tuke this year. They should have a pretty solid team. Defence still needs some work but our Offence should be pretty good. Got Jackson back and we will have Mcroberts, A. Davis, and hopefully Peter Lloyd will be up to par. RedHawks will also have one of the best kickers in the Ovc if not in the FCS in Ryan McCrum. Hopefully Farmington native Roper Garrett will be back and ready to go from his injury sustained last year on defence. I'm expecting at least a top 3 finish in the OVC this year. Hope they win it! Thoughts?

Replies

• I don't think a top 3 finish is out of the question this year, however I would expect a 4th-6th range finish this year, however the year after that I expect we will be a Title Contender under this Coaching staff! They have brought a level of excitement, discipline and commitment to the program that was previously lacking!

-- Posted by SEMOSportsfan1 on Thu, May 14, 2015, at 10:07 AM

I agree!

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, May 14, 2015, at 12:10 PM

Well just under two weeks until RedHawks football kicks off. Tough matchup for the season opener at Mizzou. Typical money game. Semo was only beat by 6 last year in their money game against a terrible Kansas team but Mizzou starts the season ranked 24th in FBS poll. Also, RedHawks will play some tough FCS opponents this year. Four FCS teams on the RedHawks schedule are ranked in the preseason FCS polls. OVC opponents Jacksonville State(9th) Eastern Kentucky University (17th) and Eastern Illinois University (25th). The other ranked opponent, Indiana State (20th) out of the MVC. UT-Martin had recieveing votes. The RedHawks are looking to have a big year and they have the tools to do it. I wonder who Coach Tuke will have at starting QB? Both senior Alex Niznak and juco transfer Tay Bender had good summers so I look for them to both share snaps. The Redhawks have a good bunch of receivers and RB's and also one of the best kickers in the FCS. Can't wait for the season to start!!

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 1:04 PM

They will be improved. But they are still behind the upper tier of the OVC. Not there yet. But getting better.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 4:52 PM
  • I think Tay Bender will be the starting QB. The key for the Redhawks will be staying healthy. Injuries derailed a very promising season last year.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 10:07 PM

I agree Preach. At 6'4 220, compared to Niznak at 6'2 240, it would seem that Bender could scramble better and him and the receivers seem to hook up better with Bender. I look for some option plays this year. More than last year anyways. That's how scrambling QB Sheible and RB Henry Harris demolished teams in 2010. Bender will hit his receivers in stride too! With that being said, Niznak is capable of coming in and taking over the game at any time. Pretty good pair of QB's.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 9:22 AM
  • I would much rather Bender start as well. I think he is better and also has a lot more upside. He is here for two years so if we give him this year to develop and really learn the system, next year could be a huge year for the team. I hate to say it but I think starting Niznak would be a waste.

-- Posted by arich35 on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 6:29 PM
  • Today at practice Bender was #1 and Vandeven was #2 with Niznak #3. I think this pretty much seals the deal for the QB competition.

-- Posted by arich35 on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 6:32 PM

Vandeven will do well at Semo

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 8:32 PM
  • Maybe Niznak was smart to get moved to number 3 so at first game when number 1 and 2 are taken out of the game on stretcher he will be the starting QB.

-- Posted by Hatershate on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 9:55 PM
  • Well, Vandeven is now knocked back down to second string. SEMO will be starting a JUCO transfer week 1

-- Posted by semo501 on Mon, Aug 22, 2016, at 5:36 PM
  • Jesse Hosket is the Juco transfer who has played better in camp and earned the right to start.

-- Posted by arich35 on Mon, Aug 22, 2016, at 5:44 PM

Vandeven won't be starting but you will see him. I look for him to be in a lot of plays around the goal line.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Aug 22, 2016, at 6:34 PM
  • i predict another mediocore season.. glad the QB form MS got the starter job

-- Posted by waterbottle21 on Wed, Aug 24, 2016, at 10:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: