Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: Semo Redhawks Basketball

Posted by cker23 on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:43 AM:

How do you think the Semo men will fair this 2014-2015 season? I'm hoping for another winning record and an OVC tournament run. The redhawks have a pretty tough schedule this year along with some good rivalry games at home against Missouri st., SIU, and Murray state. The also have a home and home series with the Ole Miss rebels with the rebels coming to the show me center next season! Semo opens their season Friday with a contest against a tough Loyola-Marymount team who's coach was an NBA coach last year for Michael Jordan's Charlotte team.

Replies (39)

8-8 6th seed in tournament until Trickey Dickey proves otherwise.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 10:26 AM

Coach nutt has been the best coach we have had in a while.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 11:44 AM
  • They'll be a typical Dickey team. As much or more talent than anyone on their schedule and 8-8 in conference. They'll hang with or maybe even beat someone they're not suppose to out of conference. As well as lose a couple they should have won.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 12:40 PM
  • yep you guys are right he has never been nothing but a 500 record coach for what 20 years now why would this year be any different. It will take several years of his teams to have better records before my opinion will change and I don't see it happening.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 2:51 PM
  • BIGELW do you ever post anything positive? Good grief! Just because SEMO didn't recruit your son you are STILL bitter. He just wasn't good enough to play there. Get over it.

As far as the team this year, I think they have a chance to have a record north of .500. If they are able to play defense better than last year, they have a great chance.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 6:34 PM
  • . In case u haven't noticed there isn't much of anything positive to say about Nutts coaching career. I think maybe u Nutt huggers should except the fact the they will never be much better than 500 as long as he's the head coach. He never has and never will and no I'm not bitter they didn't recruit him i know he wasn't good enough to play d-1 and if he was he wouldn't have played for Nutt anyway. I don't see how stating facts is being negative.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:59 PM
  • You just never ever post anything positive about any subject. All you do is get on here and dog people or downplay their abilities. It's not that what you are saying is wrong, but surely you can't be that negative in your life. Give the guy a chance. I know this is his 4th season (I think), but he has improved each year.

There are plenty of coaches who have had a .500 career record then made an improvement on his record at a school. As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, the football coach in Sikeston (I forget his name) was a .500 coach, but he obviously turned that program around (although they haven't advanced deep in the playoffs the past couple of years).

-- Posted by T-Roll on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 10:38 PM
  • T-Roll

In 13 years at Jonesboro he was 189-187 overall and 102-101 in conference. This is Nutt's 6th year at SEMO. SEMO's conference records under Nutt are...

2009-10

3-15

2010-11

6-12

2011-12

9-7

2012-13

8-8

2013-14

8-8

How much more of a chance do you want to give him? He's had 18 years worth of chances. As you can see by those records, they are not improving.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 11:15 PM
  • Dude can't coach period sorry if that's negetive but that's just how it is.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 6:49 AM
  • I am by no means bashing Coach Nutt. I think he is a decent coach. To be .500 at a D-1 college is a lot better than anyone on here can do that's for sure!

What about giving him another year or two and if he doesn't turn it around then cut your losses? When is his contract up? Maybe let him finish it out then not renew the contract.

I think they should hire, and this is a SERIOUS statement, Coach Holifield. I think he'd make a really good college coach. Maybe have as an assistant Danny Farmer. I think those two right there could get the best out of their players.

Could you imagine those two at a D-1 college? Two of the greatest coaches to coaches in this area.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 10:12 AM
  • As far as Bigelw goes, it doesn't really have anything to do with a dislike of Dickey Nutt. it has more to do with this guy believing he's an expert on all things "big time". He's always talking about how "bad" teams are. He's quick to point out, quite honestly, the obvious. I've never read his post and thought, "dang, I didn't know that"!

To say that Dickey Nutt can't coach, is ignorant. No he has not had a hall of fame career. As if SEMO could ever find someone who has at the D-1 level. His discipline does seem suspect at times, and it did seem that last years team was really talented. However, coaching division 1 basketball is not as easy as Bigelw seems to think it should be, especially at SEMO. SEMO's program is certainly in much better shape than it was 5 years ago.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 10:36 AM
  • U pretty much agreed with what I said about him not being able to coach with your comment of disipline and not being able to get anything out of the talent they had last year. You just forgot to add his teams usually don't play any defense either. They hired him and I guess that's fine but with his track record he's had 6 years to prove himself and really its the same old story with him.I know they are better than they were before he took over but there was nowhere to go but up and he's as high as he will ever go.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 1:05 PM
  • No did not agree with you. I didn't say he couldn't coach. You did.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 1:10 PM
  • I don't want to date Farmer like you stated in your rant above. I knew you'd have something to chime in on this.

You speak of records. Since 2005 they are almost identical.

Holifield 210-76

Farmer. 203-63

Pretty darn good coaches. I've never said Holifield was superior to Farmer like you're trying to do

With Farmer to Holifield.

They are both outstanding coaches. I just feel like, me personally, would rather play for Holifield. That's no knocking Farmer.

You can't take out the hall of fame year from him. He is, I believe, one of 7 coaches to ever do that in the state! You list all the accomplishments of Farmer. I can't tell you exactly how many district titles he's won since then...I'm thinking 7? He's made it to the final 4, I believe 5 times. He's not won2 state titles like your buddy has. I do believe, before he retires he'll add at least one more.

People get on here and bash Sikeston fans on how passionate they are with their teams. What about you? You seem to be so far up his read end...wait, are you Farmer? It would only make sense seeing how you go in the defense when anything is even mentioned of the word Charleston.

Again BOTH coaches are great coaches. One has to be a head coach if they were put on a team.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 3:10 PM
  • Rear end*

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 3:19 PM
  • Personally I think you both are ignorant for arguing over something that's never going to happen.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 8:53 PM
  • Holifield ONLY had made 3 trips to the final four? You wanna hear real? Here's real. All of this talk about how one school is "greater" than another is pointless. I could compare the academic achievements of one school to another and one school might pale in comparison. Does that mean that the teachers suck? Why don't you get over yourself. That's not sticking up for your school. That's stating the obvious. Every kid in SEMO over the age of 13 that loves basketball knows how good programs like Charleston are, give it a rest.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 7:19 AM
  • Sir, yes sir! I will do exactly as you say! LOL Thanks for that laugh!

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 10:13 AM
  • I love how yet another thread has been hijacked by the Sikeston vs. Charleston posters! Lol. I think I'm going to keep count of how many threads this happens to this season!

Back to the actual topic at hand, SEMO Redhawks basketball, it looks like they've been bitten hard by the injury bug early on. I hope that's not a trend and won't derail a promising basketball season like it did the football season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 10:17 AM

Coach Holifield's resume speaks for itself...In 23 seasons of coaching, Holifield has compiled a record of 398-205, including 291-138 in his 16 years at Sikeston, which makes him the all-time leader in wins at the school. He has won 10 district championships, six sectional championships, six conference championships, appeared in three final fours and won one state championship in 2011 with a perfect 30-0 record.

He was named Missouri State Coach of the Year and the Class 4 Coach of the Year in 2011. He was voted as Southeast Missouri Coach of the Year in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2013 and the SEMO Conference Coach of the Year in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013... Holifield led the Bulldogs to eight of the school's 22 district championships, including a streak of five straight from 2008-13.

Now back to SEMO basketball!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 10:29 AM
  • You guys that want to get rid of Coach Nutt and say his 6 years track record justifies it are funny. Sikeston fans are on here all the time talking about the last 7 or 8 years of success with Coach Holified. These are probably the sames ones that you would hear in town talking about how Holifield should be let go his first 7 years in Sikeston. He probably had about a .500 record, and he had a few years when they were 6-18 or 7-17. In my opinion, he's an outstanding coach and he was as good those first 7 years as he is now. Not sure why he didn't win those first 6-7 years, but it probably had alot to do with players not buying in and working hard year round. Now they do and the success follows. Sikeston fans prolly glad they didn't run him off now. Coach Nutt may be having trouble getting buy in from some of the transfers and jucos they've brought in.

To say that Nutt can't coach at all is laughable.

-- Posted by Uwe Blab on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 11:02 AM
  • I agree, Uwe. Both of them (Nutt and Holifield) can coach....no doubt.

Deano....you OBVIOUSLY care about what people say about you because you responded. You really are an idiot. Thanks for making my point for me. Like taking candy from a baby when you are dealing with a mental pigmy.....

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 11:26 AM
  • Almost 20 years coaching and is a 500 coach now that's laughable. What's even more laughable is u guys think it's going to change.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 11:59 AM
  • Come on Dean! Get out of here with that "I do it to make you guys mad" garbage. Aint nobody got time for that! That's a clown statement. It's easy to see that you have the most vitriol of anyone when it comes to this subject.

Danny Farmer is a class guy and he would probably appreciate it if you'd shut up. LOL

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 12:45 PM

I have always said Nutt was the right coach to get this team out of the basement. When he took over this team was awful on many levels. Nutt came in turned that around. SEMO is competitive now, but he is a consistent 500 coach. This is who he is. Thats not a bad thing, but its not good either especially when fans want to see SEMO play for OVC championships. We wont get that with Nutt. Some people are just content to be 500, I and many others are not.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 2:21 PM
  • jwhitlock, clown is a very good description.

You guys that are dogging Coach Nutt are just too much. The guy brought the program from the ashes and has made them competitive (as jwhitlock said). SEMO isn't a destination school...it just isn't. We aren't going to get the next Brad Stevens or Matt Painter. If you guys know the game so well (including ole Deano) man up and apply for the job the next time it comes open. I have an idea your resume will be in the trash can faster than ole Deano can come up with some corny rebuttal.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 2:49 PM
  • I agree SEMO isn't going to get an established coach but what about giving a young guy like a Brad Stevens a chance when they get rid of Nutt . I think semo had the most talented team they've had under Nutt last year and he's wasn't able to get the potential out of them just like most of the teams he's had.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 3:33 PM
  • T-Roll, aka Troll, is a classic Nutt hugger who would rather hang on to a .500 team than try to get better. Complacency and being content are signs of guys who have zero ambition. He and the other Nuttbags would rather just hope for a great year, but at the end of the day would settle for a .500 win team. They would make excellent Cubs fans.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 4:03 PM
  • Troll, Nutt hugger, Nuttbags? Really exzalmanian? Can you explain to me how calling people names like this advances the conversation? How about having an intelligent debate instead of childish name-calling?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 4:23 PM
  • It's ok Preach. Obviously zalmaboy can't refute my comments so he starts with the childish stuff. Pretty typical if you ask me.

Obviously he has a low basketball IQ.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 7:02 PM
  • Jolly, along with others is correct. Dickey Nutt was the right guy to hire at the time he was hired. Semo badly needed a stabilizing force and that came with a coach who instantly gave credibility to th program. I personally believe Nutt will end up doing some good things. I also believe people have an over inflated opinion of semos talent level. Sure SEMO has some talent. But the OVC is a good league. Semo, along with any other team will have to be dang good to beat team such as Belmont and Murray state. Easier said than done.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 8:07 PM
  • Preacher if I wanted to hear your self righteous opinions I would attend your church, but no thanks!

Nutbags and Nutthuggers is not really name calling, and as far as the Troll part goes, its in his freaking name.

Troll, my basketball IQ is low? Then what the heck is yours? Your IQ must be basement dwelling special ed since your God, Dickey Nutt is at the helm of the Redhawks. All hail Dickey Nutt and his .500 average basketball team. Lets all bow down and kiss the ground this man walks on. Jolly, whitlock and others realize Dickey Nutt is not going to take this team to the next level. We have plateaued, but hey our god Dickey Nutt is still here....all is well.

Makes me sick seeing the lack of ambition among the so called fans.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 11:17 PM
  • Exalmanian, after reading your last post, I am seriously questioning your sanity.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 11:31 PM

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnddd thats another loss for Dickey and SEMO. Just wondering how many more years we will have to put up with him.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 11:47 PM
  • Semo probably wins last night if they have a healthy Jarekious Bradley and Josh Langford. It does appear this team is loaded with talent. We will see what happens. Seems like they had trouble getting stops on defense last night at key points.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sat, Nov 15, 2014, at 9:02 AM
  • We had trouble scoring actually

-- Posted by arich35 on Sat, Nov 15, 2014, at 9:06 AM
  • Coach Nutt just announced on KFVS that both Bradley and Langford will play tonight against Hannibal-LaGrange! That's great news for the Redhawks!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 6:25 PM
  • Holifield has lost 138 games at Sikeston and Farmer has lost 132 games at Charleston. Holifield took over a program that won 22 games the previous three years. Farmer took over a program that was well-established and was two years removed from a 30-1 season and one year removed from a 25-4 season. Those are facts.

Now in my opinion, what Holifield has done at Sikeston is remarkable. Taking a non-traditional, non-basketball school and developed it into a state contender on a yearly basis. Sure it took a few years to get going, but he didn't take over an established program with a winning tradition. It takes a while to get things built sometimes. Cookson wasn't winning state titles until 5 or 6 years at SCC. John Wooden didn't win his first championship until 16 years down the road. Coaches improve. Coaches evolve. Coaches get acclimated to their surroundings. What Holifield has done isn't just two or three years of riding the coat-tails of a talented class. This has been a 10-year run.

Now I also say Farmer has done an outstanding job as well. He took over a strong program and has KEPT it going. That's not always easy to do.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Nov 25, 2014, at 9:43 AM
  • Did you guys hear a Dickey coached team lost again!!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 11:10 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: