Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: Proposed Show Me Center renovations to include Dickey Nutt statue??

Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 8:54 AM:

Since the 16-13 season so far represents what is said to be the best winning percentage in his 5 seasons, and blowing through the OVC conference this season---are the rumors that a 10 foot tall bronze statue of Dickey Nutt is planned for the front of the Show Me Center true?

Replies (96)

• Maybe it could be like the Cardinals and have a bunch of smaller statues all around---Lucas Nutt throwing a ball away, a SEMO player driving down the lane while smothered by 5 defenders while his teammates stand wide open, any SEMO defender (ANY) standing like a statue as a opponent gets an easy layup right by them, a .500 statue to celebrate the career accomplishments of Dickey Nutt (that will take about another 20 seasons of playing in the OVC to achieve a EVEN record of course).

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 9:11 AM
  • Now before all the screaming, crying, and whining starts about how I am bashing on SEMO, the coach, and his son---

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WIN. At least you made the OVC tournament and as we all know, ANYTHING can happen and you may even see some real excitement if they can somehow sweep through the OVC tournament.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 9:26 AM

Getting the last spot in the OVC Conference Tournament is nothing to brag about. SEMO should have been one of the better teams in the conference this year, but they have sucked! And it starts with DNutt! I give him credit for turning the school around after the disasterous coaches before him. However, he will never be a coach that will be better than .500 and its time to move on. Thanks for your service DNutt, but its time to go.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 10:08 AM

Lucas leads the OVC in assist/turnover ratio. Have an idea before bashing a player. And for the record, I like Dickey. Been to every home game this year, even went to Memphis. I like what I see.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 4:07 PM

Bobcat must love under performance, poor coaching, nepotism, and losing. It really is fans like Bobcat that do not demand more their teams that the teams suck. I mean look at the Cubs....they have sucked for so long and people call them the lovable losers! Screw that garbage! I want my teams to win and win at a consistent rate. This was supposed to be the big break out year for SEMO and its been an epic failure.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 4:50 PM
  • What would their record need to be this year for you to consider it a success?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 5:15 PM
  • Billikenfan. You sure are salty with something to prove. You must have lost a one on one game to Dickey's wife at some point in your life or he you couldn't cut it as one of his towel boys...time heals all wounds buddy. Hang in there. I guess in the meantime do what you got to do to make yourself feel better

-- Posted by Stlball10 on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 5:44 PM

Maybe if they switched their ovc wins and losses it'd be a good start, projected number one and get last spot into the tourney is disappointing. Do you not agree with that? Do you honestly feel like this team hasn't underachieved, for whatever reason it may be?

What is your definition of a successful season? Just to not have a losing season and compete in the tourney?

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 6:07 PM
  • Just curious how high the expectations were relating to the recent years records.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 6:29 PM
  • Well, she was freakin hacking me the whole game!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • Bobcat, if you have seen all the games and like what you see---THAT PRETTY MUCH TELLS US ALL WE NEED TO KNOW!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 7:49 PM
  • They are not necessarily the last spot in the tournament if they win tomorrow and Tennessee Tech loses they will finish 5th in the twelve team league and 2nd in the six team division. Granted not perfection, but much better than things were when Nutt got here. Also improving as season nears the end (winning 4 of last 5)which usually is a sign of coaches helping to fix problems that the team is having. As far as Lucas goes, coaches and announcers from other teams all seem to speak pretty highly of him as a point guard. Statistically he is very good as a point guard in many areas. He is not a great defender or a big time scorer but a very good distributer, free throw shooter, and decision maker, who makes threes when he gets an open look. Why some people are so obsessed with ripping on him constantly I don't know. Its a bit creepy in a weird obsessive way.

-- Posted by mick158 on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 9:42 PM
  • Mick. Creepy, weird and obsessive sums it up.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 10:22 PM
  • U said it not a great defender just like the rest of the team. Not going to win many when ur coach doesn't emphasize DEFENCE. Well he'll win 50% of his games. Oh wait he might get to 50% in another 10 years.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 10:55 PM
  • HIS LACK OF DEFENSE HAS COST THIS TEAM NUMEROUS WINS!!!! I am tired of all these Dickey Nutt huggers! Its flat out disgusting to me the people on this site (IndianPride, Mick, Bobcat) that are so in love with mediocrity. This team has under performed all flipping season! They have been a tremendous let down but none of you guys get it! If you cannot comprehend the fact that Dickey Nutt sucks as a head coach and this team has sucked all year then maybe, just flippin' maybe, you shouldn't be posting on forums like this because your lack of Basketball knowledge (or sports in general) is apparent.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 12:53 AM
  • What would their record need to be this year to consider it a success? Keep in mind recent history.

And that this season is not over yet.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 1:22 AM
  • Lucas isn't a good defender. We all know it. That being said, nobody on the team plays defense either so I don't really understand why everyone makes a big deal about Lucas playing poor defense.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 7:56 AM
  • Mick--He can make a 3 "when he has a open look"--so can grandma Nutt.

Improving down the stretch---they had the easiest schedule of almost anyone in the OVC over down the stretch. THEY LOST 4 OUT OF 6 before the 3 game winning streak--against 20 LOSS Jacksonville St, 22 LOSS UTM, and 18 LOSS Austin Peay (that had they easily could have lost on a last second 3).

IMPROVEMENT---will the someone please call a televangelist and see if they can request prayer for these poor people who feel like improving on the terrible state of the program before Dickey Nutt got here is some great accomplishment?! THESE PEOPLE CLEARLY NEED HELP. ANYONE, ANYONE, ANYONE, ANYONE, could have improved on that so please don't give this coach with a career losing record more credit than he deserves! If he was doing his job then the program would have won a conference championship by now especially with the talent on the team, in a terrible conference.

THIS IS THE FREAKIN' OVC. If you can't have a winning record in this conference then you simply either don't have the talent yet on the team or you can't coach. Everyone knows there is talent on the team, so it must be THAT HE CAN'T COACH.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:22 AM
  • People who are announcers, tied to the program, or get paid to comment on these games are in a different position than people who can TRULY comment on things they see. We as fans don't care if we tell the truth. Most people from visiting schools or announcers aren't going to criticize the opposing coaches son out of professional respect. FANS AREN'T CONSTRAINED LIKE THAT...if we see crappy play, we can be vocal about it. It's called being a fan.

The few fans that like to talk about how many games they go to, brag about talking to the coach, or how often they go to practice----those fan who want to defend or even glorify the Nutts..now those people are the ones that are REALLY twisted. It's like they want so desperately to hang with the cool kids it's so funny, and sickening all at the same time.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:35 AM
  • Exzalmanian, Like I tell my young children people who don't have a good argument or do not know how to properly articulate a point always resort to name calling and insults. Just because you have a lot of time to spend posting on forums and some of us are a bit busier in life doesn't make you more of an expert on anything.

-- Posted by mick158 on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:41 AM
  • IndianPride---it's not just about the record alot of times. With this team in this conference it is magnified though. There is no way that you should have a .500 record in the OVC. If this coach could COACH then some of those close losses may have been wins and the season would look a lot better. No Dickey Nutt didn't miss any free throws, have any turnovers, miss any open shots, or look like a statue as a defender--but the coach is responsible to putting those players in the game at critical times. The coach is responsible for getting his point across to the players, for drawing up a game plan, for calling time outs, for giving the team SOME idea on how to close out a game. It's not the team that is mediocre---its the coach. Thank you for pointing that out IndianPride.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:44 AM
  • Actually Exzalmanian IS A EXPERT. Just because you mick158 think that being truthful is insulting or childish is exactly why people tend to wallow in a bad situation. You would rather embrace mediocrity and sit back silently while everyone around you passes you by. I'm sorry you don't have time to post on here as often--being that you are so busy washing Dickey Nutt's car or whatever it is that you do.

This man is a public figure and criticism comes with the profession, so maybe you should acknowledge the fact that this is a public forum and being critical of someone just part of it. Were you the last player chosen on the playground or something when you were a kid? Get over it.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 8:51 AM
  • Hey Bfan, that loss to the Dukes does not bode well for ur beloved Bills, lets hope they didnt peak too early and hit the tourney with tired legs and on a downswing.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 10:08 AM
  • It was terrible. No other way around it. They looked slow and were outplayed in every aspect of the game. One of the best defenses in college basketball against the 3 pt shot got torched, and when Jett was stopped from penetrating the 2 best 3 point shooters SLU has were AWFUL. The only positive to look at is that there is time to regroup and work on some of the negatives. They have 2 real tough road games that were likely losses (VCU and UMASS), and Dayton is fighting for it's bubble life (at SLU), so they are going to get tested before the A10 tournament even begins. This is going to determine whether they go in as a 4 or 5 seed or a 8 or 9 I would imagine.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 11:36 AM
  • That SLU-VCU game tonight is on ESPN2 I believe.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 11:39 AM
  • Cool i may hafta check it out!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 11:52 AM
  • I just don't understand spending all of your time on message boards calling people names and telling people their idiots if they don't agree with you. I do enjoy discussing sports and debating things with other sports fans. Through playing and following sports I've known a few professional athletes and several very successful coaches over the years and none of them tend to have the dismissive attitudes of anyone who has a differing opinion on sports like some "experts" on this forum do. Not saying everything is perfect for SEMO basketball, just have a better opinion of Coach Nutt than a few of you. So if that means you feel the need to call me a name or insult me go ahead and do what you do.

-- Posted by mick158 on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 12:17 PM
  • I just don't understand spending all of your time on message boards calling people names and telling people their idiots if they don't agree with you. I do enjoy discussing sports and debating things with other sports fans. Through playing and following sports I've known a few professional athletes and several very successful coaches over the years and none of them tend to have the dismissive attitudes of anyone who has a differing opinion on sports like some "experts" on this forum do. Not saying everything is perfect for SEMO basketball, just have a better opinion of Coach Nutt than a few of you. So if that means you feel the need to call me a name or insult me go ahead and do what you do.

-- Posted by mick158 on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 12:17 PM
  • Sorry about posting that twice.

-- Posted by mick158 on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 12:32 PM
  • Mick, how many times have I posted? I don't spend all day and night posting on SEMOBall so get your facts straight! Not only do you not know anything about Basketball but you also clueless on how much I've posted on SEMOball. Why don't you just go the SEMO game tonight and give Ole' DNutt a hug since it seems you are in love with the man and his 7-8 OVC record! 7-8 RECORD!!!! This team has underpreformed all season long and as long as DNutt is the coach it will be the same losing...sucking ways. Its because people like you who embrace suckiness that SEMO will never be a Murray State like program. That is a program that knows how to win. They have embraced winning and demand it. With fans like you, who are content with 7-8 records, .500 records, SEMO will never be a winning program. And what is this "better" opinion of DNutt that you have? What better opinion? You have the opinion that he doesn't suck? That he hasn't resorted to nepotism? Or that DNutt is a good guy? This attack is not about DNutt the person, but DNutt the coach. DNutt couldn't coach Lucas Nutt out of a wet paper bag.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 3:54 PM
  • What do wet paper bags have to do with basketball?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 4:00 PM

http://semoball.com/forums/semo/thread/5861

Here's a thread from 2012-2013 season about the Nutts and I have a lot was true then and its true now. As long as a Dickey Nutt remains the head coach at SEMO this program is going nowhere. They are already floundering like fish out of water. In the link above lots of people where high on SEMO's chances this year. Heck even the media was high on SEMO. But after a full season (minus the last regular game and the first round of the OVC tourney) any body with a grain of basketball knowledge would know SEMO has sucked more than some of the women on Carlos Martinez's twitter feed.

And Indian Pride, I would assume that exzalmanian was indicating that DNutt is such a terrible coach, not in just basketball, but in general, that he couldn't coach Lucas Nutt out of a wet paper bag. Also maybe a dig about Lucas Nutt.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 4:11 PM
  • Sarcasm seems to be a tough concept for some to grasp.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 5:27 PM
  • Sarcasm seems to be a tough concept for some to grasp.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 5:27 PM
  • IndianPride, wet paper bags have a lot to do with basketball when it comes to watching this crap...makes me want to barf into my paper bag

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:11 PM
  • :)

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:25 PM
  • There you go IndianPride thats better. Probably going to have another smile on your face if SLU doesn't start handling the VCU pressure!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:34 PM
  • If I'm not mistaken I don't think SLU have lost to VCU since they have been in the A10, even winning on the road there last year---but man it seems like it takes so much out of SLU (I guess every team VCU plays). I think most people figured this one for a loss, but hopefully there won't be any carryover from it with Dwayne Evans hurting and the entire team being a step slow for a few weeks now.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 6:39 PM
  • I think we've had enough of the Bills in the SEMO blog. I live in St. Louis, but go to all SEMO games. The Bills play in an East Coast conference with no rivals like MU, SIU, or even SEMO. There's plenty of Blogs in the Post Dispatch to discuss SLU where more people care. The game at SEMO Saturday night would rival any game ever at SLU. Looking forward to your posts in the Post Dispatch.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 7:55 AM

SEMO72a speak for yourself. I find it refreshing that there is at least one winning team Missouri and I enjoy the SLU topics.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 8:49 AM
  • SEMO72a, if you live in St. Louis and drive the 2 hours to watch all of the SEMO games---you deserve fan of the year award from uncle Dickey. They can't even get people living in town to go to the games.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 9:07 AM
  • The SEMO game Saturday would rival any game ever at SLU...in the context that it was entertaining maybe so. Speaking strictly as a basketball fan it was very entertaining. If you like a complete game with defense however, well it wasn't so hot. It wasn't like it had any great significance on anything other than seeding in the OVC tournament---HOME GAME PERHAPS? Not saying that's not important, but both teams were already in, AND TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A HOME GAME IT HELPS TO HAVE A HOME COURT ADVANTAGE which is something that is lacking under this coach. Not taking anything away from the Red Hawks, but it wasn't quite like beating #2 Louisville, and I remember quite a few real entertaining games against Memphis, Cincinnati, VCU, Dayton, DePaul, Marquette, etc. The biggest problem with playing in the A10 is exactly that---no real close rivals within reasonable driving distance. ANOTHER REASON why SLU's road record is so impressive.

IT WAS A ENTERTAINING GAME, BUT IT MAY NOT EVEN BE THAT GREAT IN SEMO HISTORY. It could be for the Show Me Center which hasn't exactly seen the type of basketball we had hoped to see in it, but some of those games under Shumate were freakin INTENSE.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 9:28 AM
  • Murray clearly wanted to win dipshnit. They've could've been OVC conference champions.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 9:33 AM
  • How many of you Dickey Nutt haters are from or live in Cape who don't support any of the athletic teams in Cape

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 9:34 AM
  • My bad. I hadn't looked at the standings except how it was related to SEMO. I knew Murray and Belmont were going to be 1 and 2 in whatever order.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 9:50 AM
  • typical

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 9:54 AM
  • And lastride67, let me ask you what other teams you support and where you live? Do you like any other teams in the country? Do you like the Cardinals, Rams, Blues, or Mizzou? Do you get upset when they lose? Are you satisfied with the performance the Rams have given over the last decade? Whether or not you know it, people around the WORLD can be fans of the NY Yankees. THERE IS NO RULE THAT SAYS YOU HAVE TO BE FROM NY, DID YOU KNOW THAT?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 9:56 AM
  • Typical in what respect?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 9:57 AM
  • In the fact that I hadn't worried to pay that much attention to the top 2 spots when I really couldn't care less which team won it? I'm not fan of Murray State or Belmont (I cheer for whatever OVC team make the tournament though), I AM A FAN OF SEMO---AND ALL SEASON LONG I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT NEAR THE TOP OF THE CONFERENCE STANDINGS BUT THERE WAS NO SEMO THERE. They were near the bottom Einstein.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 10:09 AM
  • Not sure how the tie-breaker works, but wouldn't Belmont have still been the overall Champions anyway? Had Murray beaten SEMO they would have both been 14-2 but Belmont beat Murray, so would they not get title or doesn't head to head mean anything?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 10:15 AM
  • means nothing. you must not follow SEMO that much else you would have came across some of these things.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 10:24 AM
  • Seems odd that head to head wouldn't matter in case of a tie. I guess Belmont would have still been the #1 seed though? I mean there has to be some reward for winning on the court right? Belmont had already finished their game before the end of the SEMO-Murray game, so at best they could only be Co-Champions----nothing to be upset about. I'm sure a few other OVC schools would like to be in that position.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 10:34 AM
  • Ur right about the semo crowds billfan, i wonder how many D-I schools in a town of 40K avg only 2-3K per game. I know theyd pack the arena if they could somehow turn the program around. How big is Chaifetz and whats the Bills avg crowd?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 10:57 AM
  • Oh and by the way, whatya think of the ryan miller trade? Ima huge blues fan!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 11:00 AM
  • Chaifetz is 10,600 and they average around 7600 I think. For the success they have had it's a little disappointing not to have more sellouts, so I don't know if it's a good argument compared to SEMO or not lol. I'm sure the weather has a lot to do with fan turnout all over the country. You also have the Blues competing for some of the same fans (but you would think a much more affordable Billiken ticket would be appealing to fans). I guess the same can be said for some local high school games in the SEMO area---cheaper tickets (and maybe better quality of ball at times lol).

The Bills have had some near-capacity games, and a handful of sellouts but it's nothing like it was at the peak of SPOONBALL! They averaged over 17,000 people per game and were 5th in the nation I believe. There were some fans a little upset that SLU didn't build a larger arena, but it's a tremendous atmosphere in Chaifetz and not a bad seat in the house. Again, taking nothing away from Jim Crews but if Majerus was still alive it may had helped I think a lot of people were---and still are QUESTIONING whether Crews can sustain this success.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 11:13 AM
  • I like to see a team be proactive. It's so hard to win championships and if you really feel like you have a legitimate chance to make a difference you need to try to go for it (as long as you weigh the cost). GO BLUES!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 11:16 AM
  • I live in Cape and am not a fan of Dicky Nutt or his son. I do however think he would be a better coach if his son was not on the team. I've attended around half the home games this season and his son rarely ever comes out of the game and when he screws up somebody else is yelled at in the huddle at the next break in action. He's a horrible defender but that argument is moot considering nobody on this team plays defense. Even the game that was televised the commentators spoke on how poor the defense was and has been all year. I've seen Lucas air ball more jumpers than the rest of the team combined. Yes, that was an exaggeration, but he has way too many air balls considering he only shoots jumpers when nobody is within 5 feet of him.

I just don't understand how anybody can think Dicky is doing his job when it is completely obvious that this team does NOT play any defense. There are some possessions where it doesn't even look like they try to stop the opponents from scoring. No good coach would allow his team to play that type of basketball. It has cost them numerous games that they should have won. Has anyone ever heard that defense wins championships? It's true.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 11:36 AM
  • CapeAlum, that was sort of my point when I responded to SEMO72a. Yeah almost any double OT game is exciting. It just sort of takes away from a game when it seems like the game plan is to hurry up and get the defensive portion over with so you can get the ball back. There is no coaching aspect to that. It's been like that all season, and for the most part there is little defense played in the entire conference as a whole. I think a lot of that comes down to the players these lower mid-majors are getting. There are reasons why these kids aren't getting better offers. NOT SAYING THEY ARE NOT GOOD, and I know some players want to play for a local school, or a team that they can get more playing time with. Some kids are just simply overlooked by bigger schools, but in a lot of cases you tend to see one-dimensional players (and in a lot of cases players who aren't team oriented), and MAYBE I'M WRONG---I think SEMO has a lot of that going on.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 11:54 AM
  • CapeAlum, I agree that Nutt would be a better coach without his son on the team. With that being said---he was able to lose more games in his career without his sons playing, so that's not a ringing endorsement of his coaching ability. Maybe he can have success after his kid is gone, maybe he will recruit a quality PG and change his philosophy but the other question is WHY? WHY did he not recruit a better PG? WHY would you want a coach who didn't put the best players on the court? Isn't that reason enough to seriously question his commitment to the program? What is more important to the man---WINNING or making sure his kid gets the minutes (because they can't coincide, there is 5 years worth of proof they don't mesh). Hopefully I'm wrong and they catch lightning in a bottle at the end and make a run and everyone is happy.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 12:07 PM
  • I will say Marcus Brister got a raw deal from Nutt

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 12:29 PM
  • I loved watching that dude play but dear god he was the worst shooter I have ever seen.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 10:04 PM
  • him n Shaq should have a free throw contest

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 10:52 PM
  • I don't know if he was recruited much coming out of high school but I really think Jamaal Calvin could be a pretty good PG. When I've seen him play he's had some pretty sweet assists and has an air of "clutch" about him (e.g. those free throws in overtime the other night against Murray).

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 8:23 AM
  • Well, whoever replaces the greatest player (let alone PG) in SEMO history is really going to have a tremendous amount of pressure on them trying to fill the shoes of Lucas Nutt. That may be asking too much of just about ANYONE.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 8:48 AM
  • Apparently the guy that transferred from Houston is really good. So hopefully he lives up to those expectations.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 9:02 AM
  • Or maybe some kid from Leopold, or Greenville can walk on and do the same job as Lucas Nutt.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 9:25 AM
  • B-Fan - I am from Cape and have been going to games prior to Ronnie S. You seem to make fun and crack insults to anyone that is just a fan of the team. I don't like the way Nutt has coached the team this year, but I refuse to be critical, as you do, of a player that is not a professional. With regard to your Bills, you seem to be a front runner since you have only recently appeared in blogs. The question is will the fan support drop with graduation being in an East Coast conference. Another thing, I have always supported the Cardinals no matter what, so you can make fun of that. Maybe we can meet for a tall cold one and discuss our views. I won't bring my uncles - they are all dead...

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 9:33 AM

I will be critical of nepotism all day long SEMO72a.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 12:18 PM

I will be critical of nepotism all day long SEMO72a.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 12:18 PM
  • My point is that you do NOT have to live in Cape to be a fan, and being CRITICAL of bad play is the right of everyone from ANYWHERE to do. I paid tuition to SEMO, I live in the 63701 zip code. People who want to settle for being average, and the ones who get mad about someone being critical ONLY MAKES ME WANT TO GIVE IT TO YOU MORE.

If I am making fun of FANS OF SEMO then I guess I am making fun of myself too. Maybe if you would actually read and try to comprehend the posts you would be able to distinguish the difference.

It doesn't matter that a college student is not professional. This is LIFE---deal with it. It makes it a whole lot worse when nepotism comes into it---LOOK UP THE MEANING.

As far as SLU being in the A10, that has very little to do with fan support as long as the A10 doesn't keep getting poached of its upper echelon programs. I can almost assure you that most SLU fans would rather see the top A10 schools come in here over Illinois State or Bradley. SLU already schedules quite a few Missouri Valley schools anyway, and I doubt they draw any better than a heated A10 matchup. The fan support is related to the performance on the court, and how well you do to promote the program, and build up the fan support to ride out a down year or two.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 1:56 PM
  • *****LIVED IN 63701.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 1:58 PM
  • I'm sure that when SLU has a home game against most Valley schools that there are a certain number of fans that travel here, but when they were in the Great Midwest under Spoonhour they were drawing over 17,000 fans per game with a arena not even on campus. Part of the appeal was seeing really good basketball, really good programs like Louisville, Xavier, Cincinnati, Memphis, DePaul, Dayton, etc. Those schools are all as far away or further than most of the Valley schools. It wasn't like they were bringing in 7,000 people from those visiting schools to fill the place. THE SUPPORT WAS HERE BECAUSE OF THE QUALITY OF BALL AND OPPONENTS.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 2:07 PM

SEMO72a why do you think we are ****** off? We are angry because of the long history of stupid hirings, the nepotism, the crappy play, etc. We are fed up with it!!!

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 5:46 PM
  • Contrary to rumors and popular belief:

1. I did not lose a game of horse to Mrs. Nutt.

2. There is no "history" with myself the Dickey Nutt or any of his family (at least in modern history that I am aware of).

3. I do not have some deep dark secret desire to see SEMO fail.

4. I would support this coach if he proved he could recruit and COACH the team to the level of upper tier of OVC year in and year out. UPPER TIER MEANS LOSING 2-4 GAMES PER YEAR IN THIS WEAK CONFERENCE.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 6:58 PM

Right Billiken! I'm not expecting SEMO to make final four runs! DNutt will never take this team to upper tier.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 7:36 PM
  • No reason why SEMO can't be on par with Murray State---with the right coach (and I don't believe this guy is the right one).

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 7:42 PM
  • Getting excited for the postseason and then next year. Seems like we have a great group of guys coming back. Go redhawks!

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 8:44 PM

It doesn't matter who comes back if Nutt is still the HC.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 8:55 PM
  • The horse is dead, has been dead so stop beating it. You made your point, others have agreed and/or disagreed with you. Still you rant on and on repeating yourself. Move on. Attacking players and coaches isn't the best way to promote your point.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 5:28 AM
  • Then people need to stop saying the critics have some personal agenda against the coach and son. If someone is going to accuse me of something I WILL DEFEND MYSELF. I can't speak for the other critics, but I assume their motivation is the same as mine---to see this program WIN.

Just curious, WHAT would be the best way to promote "SEMO needs a different coach" other than being critical? I'd like to know.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 8:12 AM
  • cirithungol17, Jolly---Heading to the SLU-Dayton game tonight. It should be a fun atmosphere. Full house, Dayton coming off a big win to help their slim tournament chance. I'm sure they will be giving max effort to try and steal a at-large bid. This will be a good test for the Billikens to try and correct some sloppy play over the last few games. I have a DECENT win-loss rate over the last few games but I have seen my share of bad losses so I hope I don't bring them bad luck!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 8:21 AM
  • Why do you care if you're a SLU fan. We ALL understand you don't want him back. You've made your point. Now when you post people are just annoyed because your saying the same exact things you said 45 minutes ago.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 8:22 AM
  • FallSoHard (must have already done that on your head)

I HAVE SAID MANY TIMES on these posts that I cheer for the regional teams. I went to SEMO but because I no longer go there or do not live Cape, or have other teams I go to see play---a person can't be a fan of multiple teams?

The other thread (the fire Dickey Nutt thread) has been going for YEARS so this must be something that people have an opinion about, so maybe you just need to deal with it.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 8:29 AM
  • Why even have a forum if you only want people to agree on everything? Are you one of the socialists on Semofans.com? That's it isn't it!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 8:33 AM
  • It will be interesting to see how Jim Crews and team handles the next few games. Hopefully, the last couple of games will be "learning" experiences. High expectations from this group of players so we should see them a lot in post season. Dayton has given us fits in past.

The Redhawks will have a tough road. They could win two, but Murray usually wins in tournament. I give them no chance against Belmont who is well coached, consistent, and disciplined. Having two players on 1st and 2nd all-OVC indicates how disappointing the team's record has been, but you also see what team balance and the best coach means in looking at Belmont year after year.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 9:28 AM
  • Hey Billfan, you'll be proud to hear that as i was walkn my hounds down here in suburban sikeston i came upon a house with a blue and white miniflag out by the driveway. Upon further inspection i saw a blue and white goblin on it haha!! It was a SLU flag!!!! See, ur threads are workn haha!! Go blues!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 9:44 AM
  • Oh and good luck in Flyer land, hope ur bills get outta this minifunk they are in. Hate to see it this close to tourney time, Crews needs to lead em out of it.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 9:46 AM
  • Anybody headed to Nashville for the tournament?

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 2:25 PM
  • That's awesome lol!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 2:50 PM
  • The funny part is that I don't even have a SLU flag, but I do have a Mizzou yard flag and a Southeast Missouri State license plate frame lol! I will proudly wear my Billiken sweatshirt tonight though.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 2:59 PM
  • I bet Billiken is just choking in his sweatshirt while Semo is beating his Messiah!

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 9:36 PM
  • Good job SEMO! Keep the roll going!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 11:18 PM
  • Barkleyfan, there is only one Messiah and he isn't a coach. Even though Jay Spoonhour didn't beat SEMO tonight, I think I will be just fine! I would LOVE to see what Spoonhour could do with the talent Nutt has on this team though. I was checking the scores from the SEMO and Mizzou while at the SLU game. Congratulations on a nice win for both! Even though SLU lost----I count it as a huge win just to have Jordair Jett come back after limping off the court and holding his knee. That was a scary moment. Dayton is doing what they can to punch their ticket to the dance. Even though it was a loss, SLU played with alot more engery and I feel better about their chances than over the last week or so--- even though every loss hurts, it especially hurts on senior night.

SEMO just needs to keep taking it a game at a time and they might just pull off a miracle!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Mar 5, 2014, at 11:38 PM
  • When is the statue coming out again? I would like to the statue with Dickey Nutt arm around Lucas's shoulder while he yells at the other players for Lucas's airball.

-- Posted by CTFan on Thu, Mar 6, 2014, at 11:34 AM
  • And to think that I was even slightly buying into this little mini run. I was even about to post out that perhaps playing the tough man-man defense that SLU plays is too much for 30+ games and maybe a team like SEMO who only plays one end of the court is going to be fresher and building momentum as the season ends--opposed to SLU who looked tired. Once again, this just proves that you have to do more than be able to score to win a game. For a while there I even thought SEMO may make a deeper run in the OVC tournament than SLU in the A10 tournament. SLU at least played with renewed energy so I am hoping for a win at UMASS to cap off this regular season and get back on track.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 8:08 AM
  • Listening to the game on the radio as I am driving back to STL from Cape and I knew SEMO was in trouble when one of the announcers was trying to say how this game would probably be a lot different than the last EKU game. He starts talking about so and so who was playing better now, this guy or that guy who may or may not have had a good performance, and you could almost tell in his tone that he was thinking SEMO would blow EKU out of the gym. I mean I swear he was on his knees shining Dickey Nutt's shoes as he was discussing how this was all going to turn out. Maybe I read too much into it, but it did not seem to be objective at all.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 8:15 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: