Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 10:33 AM:

Sorry to post this in the SEMO section, but since this is the most viewed forum I thought maybe the Southeast Missourian may actually see there is another D1 program beside Mizzou in the state.

That would be the St. Louis University Billikens. It's a Jesuit University located in the heart of St. Louis. That's St. Louis, MISSOURI. St. Louis is the largest metropolitan area in the state.

Replies (98)

• **besides mizzou

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 10:52 AM

Omg you know who has a winning streak of 17+ Florida, Witchita State, and Syracuse. Where's those stories!

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 1:31 PM
  • Last time I looked St. Louis was still about 100 miles from Cape, and I would hope the Southeast Missourian would have a coverage area outside of the 67301 zip code.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 2:28 PM
  • Last time I looked St. Louis was still about 100 miles from Cape, and I would hope the Southeast Missourian would have a coverage area outside of the 67301 zip code.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 2:29 PM
  • Good grief go read the post dispatch. I think I can probably speak for most of the posters on here that you are getting really annoying with your constant badgering of SEMO basketball and Dickey Nutt and then complaining that SLU isn't covered in SEMO...we aren't in Stl.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 4:57 PM
  • Yeah I forgot. You are in Cape Giradeau, "city of roses", home of the 20+ loss SEMO basketball team (how many times has that happened again)? I forgot that its wrong to criticize the head coach at SEMO.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:06 PM
  • I suppose someone is FORCING you to read my threads? is someone MAKING you respond to me? People like you are the reason why the university can get by with having this joke of a coach year after year after year.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:10 PM
  • Yea and look who those teams have beat to win 17 in a row compaired to who SLU has played.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:17 PM
  • SLU has a RPI of 11, a BPI of 20, and is #11 in ESPN power ranking. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. Maybe if the local paper would actually do a story on SLU then you would know these things.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:26 PM
  • 17 in a row. 10-0 in one of the toughest conferences in D1. ENOUGH SAID.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:27 PM

Good lord when SLU gets knocked out in the second round all of our hearts will collectively weep for poor under publicized SLU

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:29 PM
  • The A10 is one of the toughest conferences in America? When did this happen?

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:30 PM
  • MAYBE if the paper covered other teams you would know this.

Ever heard of GW, UMASS, VCU, SLU? All teams Joe Lunardi has in the tournament with St. Joes and Rhode Island on the bubble. The SEC is pegged for MAYBE 3 and some people saying 2.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:35 PM
  • Wow, some real juggernauts on that list.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:37 PM
  • Seriously you need to take a look at what the experts are saying.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:37 PM
  • And a Mizzou team that is listed as NOT MAKING THE FIELD OF 68 is better?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:38 PM

Which is ridiculous because the A10 has bad teams that schedule well and get thumped by big teams which bump their RPI which makes those conference wins sweeter and losses not as bad. The SEC is similar only teams don't schedule well or if they did they scheduled to hard and got beat which gives them low RPIs and makes the losses huge and the wins non important. I would take Vandy over St. Bonaventure any day of the week.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:40 PM

Also forgot A10 teams also schedule easy road wins which is another big RPI boost. It's a credit to A10 ADs that they get all the pub they do

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:42 PM

Mizzou will be listed as in tomorrow

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:42 PM
  • I think they should too. For the sake of my argument, they are listed as OUT now. Regardless, SLU waldo has a chance to crack the top 10... Outside chance. #9 loses, and #6 losing at half.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:49 PM
  • ***also

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:50 PM
  • It's not just RPI now though, so if the A10 is rated higher it's because it probably is. I like the way the Valley does the tiebreaker system for their conf tournament. they reward strength of schedule.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 5:53 PM

It is RPI. Lundnardi bases his brackets off RPI, big wins, and big losses. It's the same things the committee looks at. You can game the system RPI wise now. While it's important other things should be considered such as offensive and defensive efficiency weighted against SOS etc.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 6:11 PM
  • Again, it is NOT just RPI. The selection committee has said as much. There are other factors, plus they say this year they will do a better job of seeding the teams...not dropping a team 2 or 3 seeds to make things work. They are going to seed the teams closer to where they deserve to be seeded. If you are going on efficiency then SLU is rated at or near the top in defensive efficiency. Now offensive efficiency is another story---but defense travels, and they will be certainly be on the road for the tournament.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 6:23 PM
  • The RPI discussion began when I pointed out SLU's RPI to argue Bigelw's point that SLU's 17 game winning streak was unimpressive compared to other winning streaks because he thought the teams they beat were weak. 17 wins is 17 wins, and 10-0 in any conference is outstanding. Will it transfer to NCAA tournament wins? Hard to tell. So much depends on who you have in your bracket. Just don't pair then with Wisconsin please. I don't want to go up against a Izzo coached team in the tournament ever again.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 6:28 PM
  • Sorry, BO RYAN. I was watching a Tom Izzo piece on ESPN lol. For that matter, I wouldn't want to face Izzo either.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 6:34 PM

Who are you talking to? Also committee wants non con big wins and road wins and OMG RPI VALUES ROAD WINS AND BIG NON CON WINS. It's like a miracle that I put that together.

I'm not saying that SLU is bad. I'm saying your league that you pumping up is overrated. The league you down graded to trash Mizzou is underrated. That perception is solely on RPI

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 6:51 PM
  • So road wins in the A10 are overrated?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 6:56 PM
  • This stretch for Mizzou will tell the tale for sure. Their next 5 games are all against SEC conference teams with 90 or higher RPI's. OMG did I just say that? 5 remaining games against the mighty SEC and ALL OF THEM WITH BAD RPI'S can that really be???

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 6:58 PM
  • Bunk, I think the fact that I praised SLU and point out that they have had a better 3 year stretch than all but about 4 other D1 schools is making some people feel I am trashing the SEC and Mizzou. I am only looking for a little bit of love for a really good SLU team, and the jealousy is just killing the Tiger fans!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:01 PM

Yes some A10 road wins are overrated is my point.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:18 PM
  • I really don't get the back and forth about Missouri and St. Louis U. It's clear that SLU is the better team and has been for 3 seasons. As far as the lack of coverage in the southern part of the state I don't care. I get my information from tv anyway, and SLU is getting plenty of praise. Relax Billikenfan, and Mizzou fans need to worry about making the tournament instead of bragging how they could beat SLU. Play them and prove it.

-- Posted by sweeeetlou on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:20 PM
  • Come on Bunk! Are you seriously telling me that a road trip in the SEC is tougher than the Billikens having to go up east in this crazy A10 league they're in? Yeah, they chose to go there, and yes they hope to get invited to the Big East but those games in Philly are tough. ANY road win in any of the top 8 or so conferences are tough regardless. So I guess Mizzou's 6-6 conference record is better than SLU's 10-0?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:29 PM
  • The A-10 has a real strong track record. With the exception of vcu what have any of those teams done in the last 10 years

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:38 PM
  • There are 6 teams that are undefeated in conference play among all D1 schools. SIX. Out of 300+ D1 schools there are about 33 teams with only 1 or 2 losses. THAT LEAVES WELL OVER 300 TEAMS WITH 3 OR MORE LOSSES, and most of those in the 4-6 loss range. You can say what you want to knock down the SLU team, but to say anything other than glowing praise for a 10-0 conference record is just showing bias.

I'm not crazy about them being in the A10, but that's where they are, and by the looks of their recent success, I can't argue it. It was even a tougher league before the Big East defections. I still miss the days of Louisville, Cincy, Xavier, Marquette, Memphis..the Great Midwest was a great conference.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:40 PM

Didn't say that at all. But when you start trumpeting your league's potential bids vs SEC potential bids be aware the people pushing that train of thought are working off a flawed system of ideas to make up a tournament field. SEC should get deserves 4 bids( UF, UK, Mizzou, UT) and no those Philly road trips aren't anymore tough than going to some SEC venues( Mizzou, Arky, LSU, Vandy, OM, UK, UF, and UT all have pretty well known home court advantages)

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:41 PM
  • A-10 teams record vs top 25 teams 7-24 enough said

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:44 PM
  • We are discussing this season. Are you one of those guys who has to relive his high school glory years? Move on. I am talking about the 2013-14 SLU team. RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, IN THE PRESENT. If you really want to go back and look though, go ahead. Butler was in the A10, SLU, LaSalle made a nice run after being a play-in team. Temple had just a tad bit of of success I seem to remember. Oh hey, remember when Mizzou went half a decade without making a NCAA tournament? Remember when SLU went forever without making one??? We are talking about NOW.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:45 PM
  • Right now this year 7-24

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:48 PM
  • Do you really want to go there, because Florida---the best team in the SEC conference is only 2-2 against top 25 rpi teams, and Kentucky is 0-2 SO LETS DO GO THERE!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:50 PM
  • Right now this year. Mizzou in trouble of making the NCAA tournament.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:51 PM
  • SLU 0-2 vs top 25 teams

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:54 PM
  • SOUTHEASTERN VS. TEAMS RANKED 1-25 (3-14)

SOUTHEASTERN VS. TEAMS RANKED 26-50 (7-13)

SOUTHEASTERN VS. TEAMS RANKED 51-100 (19-12)

according to CBSSports.com LOOK IT UP. I AM SO VERY GLAD WE WENT THERE!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 7:57 PM
  • You may not like him, but Billikenfan has facts to back up his argument.

-- Posted by sweeeetlou on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:07 PM
  • The win yesterday against VCU was against top 25.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:08 PM
  • No tradition no respect by me. Not going to be any different this year either won't be any a-10 teams left after 2nd round. You heard it first right here.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:08 PM
  • What polls u looking at

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:10 PM
  • Since there are very few games against top 25 (as of the date on the RPI sheet SLU was 0-2 and Mizzou 1-2) if you go to the 26-50 category SLU is 2-0 and Mizzou is 0-0, and if you go 51-100 then SLU is 5-0 and Mizzou is only 6-5. If you want to go strength of schedule SLU is 63 and Mizzou 64. The upcoming games for SLU will be against the upper echelon teams in the A10 rpi and and upcoming games for Mizzou against the 90 or worse rpi so we'll see how this plays out.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:16 PM
  • ESPN and CBS sports

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:17 PM
  • The SEC is rated 7th and A10 6th in conference rpi I believe. My point is, when experts and companies spends truck loads of money to break all this information down, I will choose to believe what they tell me rather than Bunk or Bigelw. Sorry guys, but I put a little more faith in ESPN than you guys. You just simply can't make a statement about the SEC being a better conference this season than the A10. It's just impossible to argue. Just like it's impossible to argue that the 10-0 start in conference and 17 game winning streak is not tremendously impressive.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:28 PM
  • Upcoming schedule for both teams.

SLU vs.

RPI

152 Feb. 19 @ George Mason

37 Feb. 22 George Washington

202 Feb. 27 Duquesne

22 Mar. 1 @ Virginia Commonwealth

53 Mar. 5 Dayton

19 Mar. 8 @ Massachusetts

Mizzou vs.

RPI

89 Feb. 19 Vanderbilt

116 Feb. 22 @ Alabama

90 Feb. 25 @ Georgia

187 Mar. 1 Mississippi State

128 Mar. 5 Texas A&M

52 Mar. 8 @ Tennessee

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:39 PM
  • K I'm tired of back and forth but I don't see where VCU is ranked in top 25

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 8:39 PM

Point being that you can have your opinion about RPI and I can have mine( official stance is that it's nice but doesn't give the whole picture but is presented like it is) and SLU is a good team but guess what.....drum roll......wait for it......

I STILL DONT CARE ABOUT SLU! I don't have to be interested in them all because they play in STL and no else does either. The SOUTHEAST Missourian doesn't have to cover them so argue and fuss all you want but it's not going to be a big topic of discussion around here

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 9:04 PM
  • RPI #22 All of the rankings were RPI rankings.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 10:13 PM
  • With logic like that then you shouldn't care about Mizzou, Rams, Blues, or Cardinals. They are not local.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 10:14 PM
  • Normally I would root for any team from Missouri but you're making it hard for me to root for SLU.

You take obsession to a level never Ive seen before.

Honestly, you scare me .

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 16, 2014, at 11:36 PM
  • BOO

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 7:59 AM
  • What's scary are the fans that think that Dickey Nutt is a good coach. Now that is really scary. Relax IndianPride, it's all in good fun.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 8:00 AM
  • ESPN.com's Eamonn Brennan had this observation last week:

How does a team begin a season (23-2) and barely raise an eyebrow?

A number of external factors have to work against you: a college landscape packed with freshman stars; a primal focus on the NBA; a historically good national player of the year front-runner; two teams carrying undefeated records deep into February. There is a lot going on in college hoops this season. Ink is hard to come by.

But the relative quiet around Saint Louis -- and in a sport where everyone claims to be "overlooked," it's rare to find a team that actually deserves the designation -- has a lot to do with who the Billikens are, and how they play.

Evans, Jett, (Mike) McCall, Loe and (Jake) Barnett are five seniors -- none of them an obvious star -- who smother opponents in the nation's most glorious, symphonic and frustrating man-to-man defense. Saint Louis hedges ball screens out to the half-court line. It denies and overplays every wing. It holds teams to 28.4 percent from 3-point range, the fifth-lowest mark in the country. It rebounds 72 percent of opponents' misses.

CBSSports.com scribe Matt Norlander offered this assessment after the VCU victory:

This was a critical win for SLU, which has no bad losses (Wisconsin and Wichita State). But now, on top of beating Dayton and St. Joe's on the road, the Billikens can claim VCU. This 10-0 start is the best in the Atlantic 10 since 2005-06, when George Washington ran the table to get an eight seed. If SLU does that (which I don't think it will), it will probably be a No. 2.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 8:13 AM
  • Congrats, SLU is having a heck of a season. That doesn't mean the Missourian has to cover them. The Missourian has enough on its hands with SEMO athletics, national news stories, and the wide variety of high school athletics they have in their coverage area. I would venture to say that most people would rather wake up Sunday morning and read a piece on the Jackson-Charleston boys basketball game than the SLU win over VCU. Sure, some people around here love SLU, I myself root for them when they are on TV. But you can't expect coverage of every single game. The Missourian doesn't cover UMKC athletics, they don't cover Three Rivers or Mineral Area College. Sometimes you have to pick and choose and they've chosen not to pay much attention to SLU. Luckily for you BIllikenfan, the Post has extensive coverage of them, I suggest you go online to stltoday.com/sports and you will find more than enough praise for SLU.

Good luck to them, I hope they represent the state of Missouri well in the tournament.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 8:31 AM
  • Gee I never considered the Post-Dispatch! Sorry, bobty423 I can't help myself. I don't expect coverage of every single game by any stretch of the imagination, but they have NO stories unless it has to do with a game involving SEMO against them. The point is, this team is getting NATIONAL press but NONE in Cape which seems a little odd.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 9:26 AM
  • Mizzou should be off the bubble after this week. We'll find out in a couple of hours!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 9:30 AM
  • Mizzou is closer to st loo than cape and i dont think you'll see too many slu stories in their paper. College towns are gonna cover THEIR college which is how it ought to be.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 11:22 AM

I think the most important take-away from the SLU-VCU game should be that if you noticed Jayson Tatum was seated behine the SLU bench AGAIN. Is he seriously considering SLU or just attending games because of the schools proxiemty to where he lives!? #questionsthatneedanswers

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 11:36 AM
  • Yeah I agree that college towns should cover their own team 90% of the time, but you have a top 10 team getting national exposure and this paper fails to cover it AT ALL. It's not like some prized SEMO recruit is going to read a story on SLU and decide he's going to go there. Any good recruit is going to know quite alot about numerous schools. This is more about the general fan base in the state cheering for a "local" team. I refer to any team within 3 or 4 hours as someone "local" when it comes to the NCAA tournament.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:22 PM
  • Besides, I could see where a Columbia paper wouldn't cover SLU, which is on a much closer level to the Tigers when it comes to recruits---but the percentage of kids that will end up going to Mizzou or SLU INSTEAD OF SEMO is probably pretty small. Teams like SEMO probably get more JUCO transfers than SLU (even Mizzou gets more than SLU I would guess). SLU is one of those tough places to get into where the administration cares about academics first---making it harder to get a borderline student. It's frustrating as a fan to see players like Stone and Bradley playing for SEMO when I know they could help SLU! With that being said, the fact that SLU has the 5 seniors is largely based on the fact that none were superstars and leaving early for a pro career. They have played together from the beginning for the most part.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:32 PM

The lack of SLU coverage from the Columbia and Cape papers has nothing to do with recruiting worries. It is that nowhere near enough people would care enough to read it to waste the time, resources, and page space that would be devoted to covering it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:35 PM
  • Is there not a SLU message board anywhere?

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:41 PM
  • And sideline will tell you that not many MSU references occur in the Oxford Gazette, except when they win the Egg Bowl. Right mr mayor?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:46 PM

It's actually the Oxford Eagle and the Daily Mississippian and neither cover sports outside of the general area around Oxford. The Jackson and Tupelo papers do cover both schools but neither covers Southern Miss just as the Hattiesburg paper doesn't devote much if anything to Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:48 PM
  • Great info mr mayor!!

Hey billikenfan, maybe you can take solace in the fact that 99% of SEMO would rather see the Bills in the final 4 rather than the Jayhawx! There's ur support!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:55 PM
  • Ever heard of the AP? Resources and time excuse is weak. And by the way Champ Kind, since the Missourian won't do any coverage---I AM, so if it bothers you then DON'T READ THE POSTS. I look at it as giving to the needy. This is my attempt to help the less fortunate...the ones who have to suffer through year after year after year of losing basketball. My hope is to lift up the masses who have had to suffer 20+ loss seasons time and time again---to try and enrich the lives of the generation of SEMO faithful who have never seen a quality coach, a team that they can really get behind. You have it---and it's only a 2 hour ride up I-55.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:56 PM
  • cirithungol17---I'll take it lol

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:57 PM

No one wants to read it man. Just go to the Biliken SBnation site if you wanna pontificate on your school's lack of coverage

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 12:59 PM
  • Honestly I just hope and pray they don't draw a terrible seed or opponent and bow out early so I have to tuck my tail between my legs. I don't think that will happen, but the last couple tournaments they ended up getting the one type of team they have trouble with. Their offense can disappear at time. It probably wouldn't matter if they did make the final 4, the Mizzou fans would just say they had a easy path to get there or some other excuse.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 1:01 PM
  • THEN STOP READING IT. I'M NOT MAKING YOU READ IT.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 1:01 PM
  • Can you feel my power...do you sense my presence in your mind..forcing you to read about the SLU basketball team....

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 1:03 PM
  • I have no problem at all with billiken fans extolling the virtues of their great team this year, you've definitely enlightened me on what a great season theyre having. Since mizzou is not likely to do much i will definitely be rooting for the bills to keep on winning in the tourney!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 1:06 PM

People don't enjoy that car wrecks happen but sometimes they can't help but to stop and watch them because of the spectacle of it. Your stubborn, arrogant view that people should care about SLU and the paper is evil for not covering them is an entertaining car wreck of an argument that is easy to provoke into getting bigger and bigger.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 1:08 PM
  • And yes, we mazoo fans might be just a tad jealous of slu's success haha! Enjoy!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 1:08 PM
  • The only thing me and you agree on is Nutt and the Semo situation. You go ahead and enjoy this season rant and rave as much as you can because it will prolly be another 10 years before you'll be able to do it again.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 1:11 PM
  • To all the haters, fans, or casual observers---

I've rooted to SEMO way before I knew who SLU was, and Mizzou the whole time. Like I said, I root for all of the area teams. Since SLU is my home team now and has been my home team longer than any of the other schools and I attend the games---they are my team, but I will always follow and support SEMO and Mizzou...along with the other regional teams. Yeah, maybe I am gloating some, but the Billikens are having a tremendous run and I don't see any harm in the rest of the area not getting to enjoy it too---even if you are a loyal SEMO fan or Mizzou fan.

As far as another 10 years before it happens again, I think that's yet to be determined. Alot of that has to do with the fact they will graduate 5 starters, so yeah there HAS to be a dip to say the least. How far will be the question. For any potential recruits though, it has to look pretty appealing to be able to probably get immediate playing time.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 2:10 PM
  • Sideline--so are you telling me I've been successful in my quest to inform the public of the RISE OF THE BILLIKENS??? Did I just receive a backhanded compliment?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 2:12 PM
  • Just my opinion here, but the University of Missouri is the state university of Missouri, so therefore it would make since that most if not all Missouri based newspapers should cover their athletics pretty extensively. St. Louis University is a relatively small private university. They are a nice story right now, there is no doubt about it, but I have no problem with a newspaper in Cape Girardeau covering the local team and the state's public university

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 2:16 PM
  • To my comment yesterday...people like me? When did I say I liked dickey? Just because I'm tired of you bashing on SEMO and personally attacking a man you have probably never met doesn't mean I'm a big Nutt supporter. It's probably time for him to go but that doesn't mean your personal attacks are neccessary. Congrats, SLU is good...I hope they lose every game from here on out because of you. Just like everyone that isn't a cardinal fan wants the cardinals to lose every single game.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 3:06 PM
  • Im done btw. Feel free to attack me, SEMO, Dickey, and the Missourian.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 3:09 PM

It's a demand issue. The state school is bigger and the local school is well local. There are more graduates and wider fanbases for both

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 3:12 PM
  • 7plus1 I guess it's a personal attack to criticize a coaches record? I DON'T HAVE TO PERSONALLY MEET THE MAN TO KNOW THAT HIS RECORD SUCKS. He could be the nicest man in the world, maybe even heal the sick ...I don't know, but I know he has a career losing record and he has severely underachieved with this particular team and if saying he sucks as a coach is some hugely terrible personal attack on him then YES I AM PERSONALLY ATTACKING HIM. I am bashing on SEMO because I would like to see them win and if you are going to sit there like a flippin lump on a log and remain quiet about this program then YOU 7plus1 deserve the team you have. Good lord would people stop having such a sensitive approach to things! Oh my...I am so afraid now that if SLU loses all of the games the rest of the way it will all be because I ranted about no coverage...omg what will happen. You don't have to like it. AGAIN, if it bothers you DON'T FRIGGIN READ IT. I don't get the people who keep complaining. IF YOU WOULD STOP RESPONDING TO THE POSTS THEN IT WOULD DIE OUT. Apparently you can't help but read it. I hope this one ends soon so I can go back to bashing coach Nutt.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 3:23 PM
  • There are a lot of St. Louis kids going to SEMO too, and I would imagine at least a portion of them have probably followed SLU and are still cheering for them despite being enrolled at SEMO.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 3:25 PM
  • 6+4+3+2 hit the nail on the head. Mizzou is a state school, thus it creates a little more attention than a private school in St. Louis. That's just the way of it. SLU is having a great year, as I said before, in fact they are top 10 now, but the Missourian doesn't need to apologize to anybody for not covering them. The thing I just cannot grasp Billikenfan is why it matters so much to you? As you've pointed out, ESPN and other national media outlets have covered SLU and the Post certainly covers them (I read almost daily about SLU and enjoy it), so why is it such a MONSTER deal that the Missourian doesn't cover them? I prefer to read about New Madrid, Jackson, Notre Dame, Sikeston, Charleston, Cape Central, and other areas schools as opposed to SLU or Mizzou. I can find Mizzou and SLU articles all day on the Post and other media outlets. I can't find local high school articles anywhere but the Missourian and Democrat and other southern papers.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 9:50 PM
  • I guess I just never quite understood the fascination with high school sports being more interesting than collegiate.

I accomplished what I set out to do and that was to bring a discussion regarding the season SLU is having. I actually think the coverage SEMO basketball is kinda lacking too. Let's get the yard of the month or the horseshoe match winner in the paper though...

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 11:42 PM
  • -- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 12:11 AM
  • Billiken,

What makes SLU a better team than most? Id like to know from you why they are so good and better than most teams this yr including MU as you have stated? For the record I agree with stance on SEMO coaching change.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 1:41 PM

You have to be living in a cave, in a 3rd world country to not realize SLU is better than Mizzou. That was a terrible question.....

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 5:00 PM
  • I posted the links to some of the articles people have written that a lot more knowledge or insight than myself. There are some good pieces in there if you have 5 minutes to check them out. These people are alot more well-spoken than myself and do a lot better job of really breaking down the SLU team. In a couple ways just off the top of my head I will say DEFENSE and UNSELFISH PLAY. This team is well grounded, not getting too high or too low. The Majerus stamp is all over this team, almost 60 games since his passing. They have a coach who will actually listen to the players and trust them in game situations to help make decisions. This team is so knowledgeable.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:26 PM
  • Not all of the readers of the Southeast Misourian are going to spend a lot of time reading ESPN or STLTODAY.COM (the post-dispatch). Maybe if the Missourian would pick up one of the AP stories---you wouldn't have to ask me about them. You would already know they are one of the best teams in the country---and that's not coming from me, it's coming from the experts who get paid to make those decisions.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:31 PM

I'm surprised that soapbox is still holding up, billikenfan. We can just check out the rankings if we want to know how good they are. We don't have to read all of the feel-good articles to understand that they are a good squad.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 8:33 AM
  • Free throws kids...have to make your free throws! Bills pulled one out on the road in OT but should have won in regulation but they missed too many free throws.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 11:25 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: