Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: Mid Major fans should be upset

Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 2:56 PM:

Yeah, I know this is a SEMO forum, but as fans of a Mid-major or lower mid-major program we should all be a little bit ticked off at the lack of respect the polls are giving SLU.

#7 Cincy can lose by 21 to SMU and be ranked #10

#9 Mich St can lose to WI and STAY #9

#16 Iowa St can beat TCU and jump to #11

#10 Mi loses by 18 and falls to #15

#12 Creighton loses to St. Johns and falls to #18

#7, #9, #10, #12 all lose and #13 SLU goes on the road trip facing 2 Philly teams in one of the top 5 or 6 conferences, wins their 16th in a row, moves to 9-0 in a conference that most experts are saying is a 4 bid with an outside shot at a 5 bid conference for NCAA tournament, and they move up 1 spot to #12. Andy Katz has a story on it on ESPN.COM

Hey folks, I know you all are pulling for SEMO to make a magical run and make the conf tournament and NCAA tourney, but there's PLENTY of room on the Billiken bandwagon for some people to hop on! There's no guarantee Mizzou will make it, most other regional schools are on the outside looking in, and this is 2 hours away from you guys--so C'Mon! This team plays defense too---maybe Dickey Nutt should try watching a game or two before he ruins a great chance to make a move in the OVC. AND WHERE ARE THE STORIES IN THE SOUTHEAST MISSOURIAN ABOUT SLU? Is there a clause in Nutt's contract that only Mizzou can be covered??? C'mon "journalists" do your job.

Replies (32)

Relax take a Valium. Witchita State is #2 probably gonna to go undefeated and get a 1 seed. Y'all will be ok. Also read these threads not everybody is a huge Semo fan. Lots of SEC folks here and that conference gets undersold like crazy. LSU beats Kentucky but in the same week beat Mizzou at Mizzou and they fell 10 spots

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 3:14 PM

My mind was boggled on that drop. Duke lost and moved up like 7 spots, crazy.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 3:37 PM

Yeah, Kentucky got kind of disrespected with that drop all things considered.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 3:40 PM
  • Billikenfan,

I think you are looking for STLtoday. Take your bandwagon jumping self up north I-55 and don't look back ok!

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 3:45 PM
  • I bought a used car in louisville that had UK stickers on it. The owner said 90% of louisville residents are die hard UK fans. Same probably goes for st loo residents, 90% are zou fans. I always hope the Bills do well but im just not a fan, sorry

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 3:50 PM

You kept the stickers on right!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 4:20 PM
  • Removed em before i got outta his driveway haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 4:32 PM

Dang lol. Guess thats why your car decreased in value 15% before you left his driveway ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 4:39 PM
  • I grew up in southeast missouri in the 80s and rooted for all of the regional teams (Mizzou, SEMO, SIU, Murray, SW MO State at the time) but amazingly never heard much of anything about SLU until Larry Hughes went there in the mid 90's. I couldn't figure out how they got such little press coverage when they were so close in proximity. I knew more about all of the old MIAA teams SEMO played! Maybe they were awful before Hughes went there?

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 5:31 PM
  • Haha u'd a been prouda me buck! I actually drove it all the way here with stickers AND UK license plate frames intact!! But it was for my zou daughter so u know the resta the story heehee!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 5:53 PM
  • Hey Bobbykite22...exactly how am I a "bandwagon jumping self"? I root for SEMO, I really root for SLU since I live in STL and go to the games..I don't really get your post.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 6:01 PM
  • Grussman, actually SLU had some success in the "modern era" back in the mid-to-late 80's when they had Monroe Douglas, and Roland Gray, with some mid to upper 20+ win seasons but never made the NCAA tournament. The administration was actually against athletics---I suppose thinking it would lessen the education status..who knows. When Charlie Spoonhour took over, he put the program back on the map and made 3 NCAA tournaments--the last of which was the only season Hughes was a Billiken. They made 2 NCAA tournaments prior to Hughes---with some deadly 3 point shooters and smothering defense. This was about the time that there was either NO NFL or at least bad NFL in town, and maybe even a NHL work stoppage...not sure---but anyway, the Billikens were 5th in the nation drawing over 17,000 people to games. THIS PUT THE BILLIKENS BACK ON THE MAP in the region.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 6:16 PM
  • Bunk, well if its any consolation to you I AM NOT A FAN OF DICKEY NUTT IN THE SLIGHTEST. I do root for all of the regional teams though---forgive me if I don't really care if SEMO does well under Nutt though. A good coach could do well at SEMO, and I personally don't want a coach who is a .500 or worse coach have a late season run and then get a extension and be stuck with the guy for a few extra seasons. MOVE ON AND GET A COACH WHO CAN SERIOUSLY CHALLENGE MURRAY (and now Belmont) year after year after year. It's possible.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 6:23 PM
  • Yah thats an accurate history billfan, i agree that for a long time SLU just didnt emphasize sports, except for soccer which was very strong for many years. I grew up in st loo during the dead years and i think thats why i never had any interest in them. Plus, kiel auditorium was a depressing venue.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 6:28 PM
  • Yeah, it was terrible for the students too. They were drawing 17k per home game and it didn't feel like a distinct advantage that you would expect. The travel to Kiel was too far from campus. The new place is a great venue, and the student section is loud.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 6:41 PM
  • You don't always have to be a fan from the get-go to start to follow a team or cheer for them. Some teams are just easy to like when they do things the right way, recruit the right type of player, or play a style that fans appreciate. This team has been good for a few years now, and will for a team ranked #12---will still sneak up on some people come tournament time. This team finished last season ranked #16, and the only losses this season were to Wichita St and Wisconsin---yet it took forever for them to gain any national exposure. Here's a link that may explain it better:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1954885-st-louis-basketball-getting-to-know-t...

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 6:46 PM
  • C'MON SALUKIS! How can you not watch the Barry Hinson rant and not like the guy!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 6:59 PM

From 90-94 they played at the old Arena while the Kiel-Savis-Scott trade was being renovated. The also went to back to back NIT finals in 88-89 and 89-90. The old Kiel was great for students (I was there from 89-93) because you were right on top on the court. The visit team and the Bills had to walk thru the same tunnel to get to their locker rooms, which went right thru the students. We learned to hate Xavier and Dayton and love the Vashon connection.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 7:36 PM
  • The Spoonhour era was one of my favorites. Thinking back to the teams they were members of conferences with (and some still): Cincinnati, Dayton, Marquette, Louisville, Xavier, DePaul, Memphis. The Great Midwest Conference had some talented teams.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 7:51 PM

Yea, I only got one year of spoonball. I had three years of Rich Grawler. In fact in the four years I was at SLU, we were in 3 conferences. Midwest Collegiate confeconference, Great Midwest, and Conference USA. Greats like Penny Hardaway, Tyrone Hill, Negal Knight, and our own Anthony Bonner.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 8:03 PM

I'm a huge SLU sports fan. I bleed Billiken Blue. So I feel I can say this. They are tough, don't get me wrong. But, they haven't beat anyone with an RPI above 43 (Richmond). Now, thats about to change with 2 against VCU, 2 against GW, and UMASS.

Iowa State moved up cause they also beat Oklahoma State that week. Michigan lost to #16 Iowa (at Iowa) so that drop is fair. Mich State not dropping boogles my mind. Three weeks ago Kentuck lost to Arkansas and moved from #14 to #11 then lost to LSU and dropped to #18.

Basicaly polls are not exact and, while I like seeing the Bills up there, I'd rather fly under the radar.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 11:08 AM
  • Their RPI is high though because the A10 conference has a high RPI, so even though they haven't beaten anyone with a high RPI, they have only lost to Wichita St and Wisconsin. They are beating everyone on their schedule, so you can't ask much more than that. It makes me a little ticked that they are just now getting some respect, but I do agree that maybe that will play into their favor if they feel like they are respected. The other aspect, is that I honestly don't think it matters to them because Jim Crews has done such a good job of keeping things simple for them during this 16 game winning streak. JUST PLAY THE NEXT GAME. I think the senior leadership has alot to do with it as well.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 11:51 AM

I think they mirror how Crews coaches. He never gets over excited, never see him getting upset. They play that way as well. Thats great senior leadership as well. The mid majors will never get the respect of the Dukes, Michigan States, Kentuckys, Syracuses of the world. But, not many mid majors have been at the elite level like those teams either. The Butlers, VCUs, Wichita states are good for a couple years and make noise but then become insignificant. Until they can sustain the level of Gonzaga the respect will be at best minimal.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 12:07 PM
  • I agree. Over the past 3 or 4 years SLU has the 5th best overall record in D1 I believe. Still that doesn't seem to be a long enough period to get that respect they probably deserve.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 2:34 PM
  • When you are already in a good conference and face a high number of quality teams, there's only so much you can do. It's not like they are scheduling weak opponents, well maybe SEMO, SIUE, and EIU over the past year or so.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 3:50 PM
  • Saint Louis plays VCU twice, George Washington and UMass once each before the season ends, so we will be able to see how deserving they are of a high seed.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 6:28 PM
  • According to the NCAA Selection Chairman:

* Officials will emphasize rules against hand-checking and physical defense during the NCAA tournament, just as they have during the regular season. The idea is to free up players and allow for more offense, but the result has often been games that resembled foul shooting contests.

"The result of these new officiating emphases has been positive, even though we know this process will take longer than one year," Wellman said. "The bottom line is the stakeholders all want the game to be less physical and have more freedom of movement."

THIS SCARES ME A LITTLE BIT FOR THE BILLIKENS. I hope this doesn't mean the officials are going to call a 1000 fouls if a team is playing tough defense.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 9:53 PM

Congrats on the first ever recorded quadruple post

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 10:06 PM
  • I have important things to say, AND THE WORLD NEEDS TO HEAR.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Wed, Feb 12, 2014, at 10:17 PM

Great win for SLU. Coupled with the GW loss, they have built a 3 game lead atop the A10. Wichita St, San Diego St, and SLU leading the mid major charge.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 8:24 PM
  • Man, this was NOT a good game for the Bills in a lot of ways----great win---but not a lot of mistakes. Way too unforced turnovers and way way way too many missed free throws. They were definitely tested today and came out on top, but those things need to get fixed.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 10:10 PM
  • ***but a lot of mistakes

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 11:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: