Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: What do you think about Coach Nutt interviews after the games?

Posted by semofan17 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 12:07 PM:

Replies (22)

• I know the team as a whole is playing their hardest including Lucas, but when the Coach states "I thought the most valuable player was Lucas," it makes you wonder where he is getting his information because 13 points and 5 assists does not make you the valuable player, to become MVP it include blocks,rebounds and steal. PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! with the over top interviews on Lucas being the top man. That's average not outstanding.

-- Posted by semofan17 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 8:58 PM
  • i just commented about the same thing following the game story. if those numbers warrant that type of praise, then there is a problem regarding the expectations/results of the point guard position. lucas seems to be a terrific young man and solid player, but a player of his skill level needs to be a backup point guard in the ovc for a team to contend in the league. i don't know whether this team is not playing up to capability, if coach nutt is not getting the most out of them, or is maybe they're not as good as we thought, but there is no reason semo shouldn't compete almmost every year in the ovc.

-- Posted by myershallred on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 10:11 PM
  • Thankfully I don't have to listen to this guy praise his own son at the expense of the rest of the team. If I were a player on the team and heard about my coach praising his own kid over everyone else I would be ticked off and say screw it! If any of these kids has a chance to transfer to a school where they may get some playing time, I would jump at it. The best player on the court the night that SEMO played St. Louis was Bradley---and this was against a SLU team that is #19 in the country, leading one of the best top to bottom conferences in D1, one of the leading defensive teams in the country, and a team that is now 20-2. Looking at the box score, how can a guy drop 30+ points on EKU and his kid be named the MVP of the game?? Am I missing something here? If this is the kind of crap the reporters, commentators, analysts, boosters, administration, and fans put up with then there is probably little hope for the program in the near future.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 10:46 PM
  • myershallred, I think the team is good and they are capable of great wins, but it comes a time when you have to mix it up a bit. The problem with him is that he does not know how to put his team together, that why he plays them until they are over exhausted, having to many fouls before he takes them out, and often you will find them miss matched with the other teams. This a talented team and he needs someone else to fire up shots like Bradley. Bradley delivers almost every game but the praise goes to Lucas. I hope Bradley doesn't transfer.

-- Posted by semofan17 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 10:55 PM
  • Billikenfan, I totally agree. Bradley goes deliver even with a bad swollen knee, now that's a player for the team!!!

-- Posted by semofan17 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 10:58 PM
  • Even Bob Ramsey and Earl Austin Jr (they call the Billiken games for those who don't know), were praising Bradley and even commented that he was a STUD. This was against All-Conference A-10 players and defense. For the sake of the team, I hope he stays, but if he wants to move on to a better situation---there's a team in STL graduating 5 seniors from this years team!

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 11:48 PM
  • Why would he transfer? He's got one year left and not gonna sit out a year.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Mon, Feb 3, 2014, at 1:26 PM
  • Kids transfer and sit a year to play one. It's not common but it isn't unheard of.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Feb 3, 2014, at 1:48 PM
  • 1. You are a good player with talent to contribute on a good team and actually be appreciated--shoot, you may even get a chance to go to a team with a chance to even play in a NCAA tournament!

2. Your own coach doesn't seem to appreciate you. The same coach chooses to sing the praises of his own kid who is a questionable D1 player.

3. You are on a subpar team in very mediocre conference and may not even qualify for your own conference tournament, or really even compete in any meaningful games.

4. You see a quality team with a need that YOU can fill...yeah you may have to sit out a year, but you can raise your own stock for the future by playing somewhere that you may get noticed--maybe you can create more opportunities for yourself if you can market yourself; Coaching, playing overseas, future employment opportunity? Anyone remember Paul O'Linney for Mizzou??? Sitting at home, see's them playing and comes to the conclusion that he can help this team...

OR YOU CAN PLAY OUT A BAD SITUATION AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Is it really so unreasonable to think some solid pieces may choose to walk away?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Mon, Feb 3, 2014, at 9:40 PM
  • It's one thing to criticize areas that need improvement. I get that. However, I also think it's important to be careful how far it goes because it can begin to cross over into sabotaging the good aspects of the program and essentially annihilating progress that has occurred. It can become a vicious cycle that leads the program further down.

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 8:06 AM
  • Let me get this straight....Coach Nutt said Lucas was the "MVP" after the SLU game or he said it after a different game?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:08 AM
  • I didn't hear the interview but I think this is in reference to last Saturday's Eastern Kentucky game.

-- Posted by Grussman on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:36 AM
  • Let me clarify...it was a more recent game where someone commented on Nutt's postgame interview where he said something about how great Lucas played, or he was the most valuable player on the court...something like that.

My point was, when I went and looked at the box score I think Bradley dropped over 30 points (while Lucas had 4 or 5 turnovers and took a ill-timed shot).

I made reference to the SLU game as a point that you seem to have a real D1 threat in Bradley. He was the best player for either team when they played the Billikens (#13 THIS WEEK!), so I really question the coach's ability to evaluate talent. A coach who doesn't appreciate a talented player risks running them off.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:47 AM
  • All you seem to hear is how hard Lucas played, blah blah blah. HEY COACH..YOU HAVE OTHER PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM WHO HAVE LEGIT TALENT.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:48 AM
  • Maybe Nutt can recruit, but he's not a very good X's and O's guy? Maybe he surrounds himself or hires a good staff that can recruit some talent, but then he wastes it by not being a very good coach? Either way, it seems like there is some talent on the team---how they got here is unknown to a very casual fan, but the consensus seems to be that there is talent on the team, but they are losing. THAT FALLS TO THE COACH.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:51 AM
  • There are between 4-5 D-1 programs in most of the surrounding midwestern states. AR, MO, OK, KS, IA, IL, TN, KY, IN, NE

I would love to know where SEMO falls in the pecking order of these 50 or so D-1 programs SINCE NUTT WAS HIRED. I know UMKC, Eastern Illinois, and Western Illinois have had some pretty lean years, but Western rebounded recently, and Spoonhour has only had 18 months or so to build EIU. SIUE is still in the infancy stage of a D1 program (look like they are building something), but what has Nutt really achieved?

I don't want to hear how this team won only 3 games before he got here---ANY COACH COULD IMPROVE ON THAT. What has he done? Did he come in and turn the program around? Did he put a brand of basketball on the floor and start having the kind of success to fill the arena and create a home court advantage that is so crucial to college basketball? Does he seem to have a system that he can keep building on, recruiting the type of kids to maintain a good product year after year?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 10:04 AM
  • NO NO and NO. He wasn't a very good coach when they hired him and he never will be. He's just there drawing a check for as long as he can and it will be the same when they get rid of him and he goes somewhere else. Just look at his career.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 10:14 AM
  • Agreed 100%. Look at the number of schools who are trying to move up to the D1 level or have done so over the last 10-15 years. There is a cash cow at the D1 level of football and basketball. This takes a commitment from the President and AD, along with the boosters. SEMO was riding a wave of success coming off of the D2 glory years. Going to the OVC seemed like a good fit at the time---a lower quality conference with only one major hurdle every year needed to play in a NCAA tournament---beat Murray St and get the automatic bid. SIMPLE ENOUGH. Garner had success, and was chased out (good or bad decision...probably not the best looking back on it). Now there's a chance to try and take the steps to once again get to the level where you are competing for a conference championship year in year out--only to see things BLOW UP. How can a school sitting in a almost no-lose situation completely and utterly screw something up so bad? What do they do to correct it? They hire a coach WHO CAN'T COACH, WHO HAS A CAREER LOSING RECORD, to be the answer? This has been discussed so much that it is maddening to think they could kill the golden goose like this--but it happened. The question is what to do about it now?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 11:20 AM
  • THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GET'S THE GREASE:

Sometimes the only way to get your point across is to let people know how upset you are. Sometimes that means being very vocal, other times it means being so quiet you can hear a pin drop. I would think that fans not showing up to games would be the equivalent to being quiet. Is the administration listening? Sometimes you have to make a decision---whether it's right or wrong, you have to do SOMETHING. Do you as fans want to continue in this subpar LOSE MORE THAN YOU WIN flow...this level of not even being mediocre, or do you want to take a chance on someone coming in here and igniting a fire in this program again? Whatever path you choose, YOU NEED TO BE VOCAL, and I think it's up to the fans to figure out whether that's screaming at the top of their lungs demanding a change, or sitting at home game after game. If it's the latter, then the sad part of it, is that more and more people will need to stop going in order to wake this administration up.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 11:28 AM
  • This is a very talented team that has underachieved for far too long. Coach Nutt needs to get things under control fast or this will become another lost season. I would say he is on the hot seat to say the very least.

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 11:40 AM
  • Maybe I'm not even qualified to comment on the state of the program since I am over 2 hours away and when I go to basketball games I am watching the likes of Mizzou, Illinois, SLU, Wichita St, VCU, etc...but as someone who pulls for regional teams and Mid-Major schools, even I am upset over the past decade. It's sad to see a program continually screw up. I witnessed a ton of intense basketball under Shumate. I didn't get to see the Garner era but was thrilled to see them finally make the tournament. I was equally upset when I saw them stub their tow time after time after time. BACK TO THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD--when you hear a coach continually praise his own kid at the expense of the rest of the team that is a huge problem. How would Dicky feel about a player like Lucas if his last name wasn't Nutt? What D1 coach would put up with turnovers, ill-advised shots, and a poor defensive effort? Seriously? Come on people. LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 11:41 AM
  • Success is money. These other schools are moving to D1 because they see the $$$$$. Success translates into notoriety, more $$$, higher enrollment--which in turn translates into better student athletes for all sports, which starts the cycle all over again. Mediocrity brings none of this. For the fan base who feel like Nutt is doing the right thing, would you be satisfied if year after year after year the St. Louis Cardinals would go 78-84 and miss the playoffs? At some point wouldn't you demand better from them? Wouldn't you demand a change?

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 11:50 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: