Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: How to fix SEMO football.

Posted by Boogin77 on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 9:31 AM:

1. Make recruiting the area between Kansas City and Memphis, Chicago and Shreveport a priority. Take that box of land and everything inside it and recruit it to death. Don't waste time recruiting the kids from California, Florida, and New Jersey that no one else wants.

2. Hire a younger coach who has been either a coordinator or position coach at another school that has HAD SUCCESS, don't hire a guy who has had little to no success elsewhere and then hope for a miracle.

3. Improve the facilities. I know, easier said than done.

Replies (30)

• amen

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 11:23 AM
  • the facilities is the biggest thing I think. 18 year old kids fall in love with fancy stadiums, shiny locker rooms, and colorful jerseys. That's what attracts them (apart from winning of course.)

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 6:59 PM
  • FCS is different. If you think facilities is what does it, go look at the sh*thole called Eastern Illinois.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 7:25 PM
  • More about finding diamonds in the rough.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 7:25 PM
  • Hire the offense coordinator from Eastern Illinois.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 8:03 PM
  • Having worked with the Southeast program quite closely a couple years ago, a couple things need to change.

1. They fall in love with scholarship players, and hesitate to play better walk-ons.

2. A big problem with recruiting is, most highschools do have better facilities, the press box is nothing more than a double wide stacked on grandstands

3. The people who say the football team needs to be dropped don't understand that their money games go straight into the athletic budget, not their own. The 300k money games that they play literally fund most of their entire athletic program.

4. Speaking of financials, the university itself doesn't fund athletics very well at all, too concerned with growing in student population right now.

5. Having an attractive offense does help, SEMO's goals are to always be in the top 10 in rushing, but neglecting the pass completely isn't going to help. I'm all for having an offense that throws the ball when they WANT to throw it not when they have to, but they've not got the job done. The Triple option is usually a good play for them, especially when they get the slot involved, but too often it seems they get in a funk where they just run zones to one side or the other. That probably stems from having a D Cord. As your offensive cord.

6. GET OUT OF THE JUCO GAME. That's works for basketball occasionally, most of the juco kids where just more headache than they were worth out on the field.

7. Lastly, the biggest complaint I heard, and I don't know if he's since been let go, was from the strength and conditioning coach. Players we're not a fan, and didn't think they were getting much out of working with him.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 11:05 PM
  • They need facilities, fund summer school fully, and commitment from the univ to do those things. Then let the coaches do what they do best, recruiting and making the coaching decisions. But you have an AD who cannot fundraise. What has the AD accomplished in 2 years? Fired 2 head coaches and brought in how much $$? They need a AD who can raise $$ and improve relations with the community without no further comment press releases. Easy street job for AD while the entire dept suffers from funding.

-- Posted by semofan2 on Tue, Dec 10, 2013, at 8:24 AM

It's my understanding that the AD has helped the Redhawks Club (aka the Booster Club) raise about $30 million recently. Their goal was $40 million, but a job well done there.

Again....I don't know all of the details....and maybe the AD had NOTHING with the Fund Raising Campaign. Maybe it was all Bill Holland. Regardless, it sounds like there is plenty of money to make some upgrades.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Mon, Dec 16, 2013, at 9:56 PM
  • to fix it they need to start giving local recruits scholarships! Local kids would mean local fans and a lot more of them coming to watch these kids.. In the End it would mean more funding

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 6:27 AM

The $30 million raised was through the university's foundation: http://www.semo.edu/news/archive/47030.htm

From the release: The campaign, named "Honoring Tradition, Inspiring Success," is focused on increasing scholarships and supporting programs and renovations that benefit students.

-- Posted by whistleone on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 11:14 AM
  • Footballfan29,

How many local players are going and playing football at other DI schools? It's the same argument year after year. And if they did that and the teams still stunk, the complaint would be "why don't the coaches go bring in recruits?"

If there is DI talent in the SEMO area, then by all beans those kids need to be wearing a Redhawks uniform. But from my time in Cape Girardeau, those DI athletes were major DI who were going to Mizzou, etc.

-- Posted by redhawkstudent on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 1:31 PM

So your telling me that there is nfl caliber talent in semo but not talent to fill a semi decent team for semo... That's crazy

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 2:53 PM

How many fans show up to watch Corey Porter play? How was the men's basketball attendance effected by having Michael Porter, Nick Niemczyk and Jacob Tolbert on the roster? Local talent won't put fans in the seats unless that local talent is winning. This year's football team featured 9 players (roughly 10% of the roster) from "local" high schools.

-- Posted by whistleone on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 2:59 PM

Sounds like reports are saying Toledo defensive coordinator Tom Matukewicz will be the new head coach. I think Toledo's defense was 12 out of 13 in redzone and 3rd down defense.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 3:12 PM

He's also undefeated as a head coach.

-- Posted by whistleone on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 3:38 PM
  • He's from the Coach Kill coaching tree and that is enough from me. Guy turned losers into winners every where he's went

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Tue, Dec 17, 2013, at 7:00 PM
  • @redhawkstudent.. SEMO is DIV1AA huge difference from DIV1

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 6:37 AM

Actually footballfan29 it is a FCS school. 1AA has been gone for 3 years +. And it is a division 1 school. Just not FBS school.

-- Posted by NewTigerFan on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 7:54 AM
  • The Redhawks football program has the talent to compete on the FCS level. The issue seems to be depth and experience. There just doesn't seem to be two or three levels per position like some of the more successful FCS programs. Hopefully the really large 2013 class will stay together.

-- Posted by Semoontherise on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 9:59 AM
  • Someone correct me because I'm just talking wildly and had an idea. One problem most agrees with is that our facilities stink, so what if we hired a premier high school coach from somewhere, or someone willing to only get paid say 60k or something, and also hire some good assistants who will be paid more because of the head coaches salary not being as high. Then spending what extra money we have on facilities. This all probably won't work, but was just thinking outside the box since this way hasn't worked yet. Could this be done? are these funds even in the same pot, or something completely different?

That being said I loved the press conference, and on board! Brick by brick baby!

-- Posted by Radar99 on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 9:23 PM
  • IMO Bad get in this new Coach!!! He was a DEFENSIVE Coordinator who's team was 12th, 12th in the MAC in Total Defense..

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 7:04 AM
  • Why don't you look at his previous seasons at NIU.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 8:36 AM
  • Oh and at SIU before that.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM

He wasn't the DC at either of those places. He was LB's coach and "run-game coordinator" (mean he game planned how to stop the run), didn't make calls at those places. The guy who made the calls, Tracy Claeys, is with Kill in Minnesota. They had a great year at NIU, which Kill used to get Minnesota job, they were 11-3. Kill left him at NIU. He was LB coach the next year and they had another good year. He was LB coach at SIU. He has only been a coordinator for 1 year and that was at Toledo.

Not saying it was a bad hire or not. Time will tell. But to say he is a top notch DC can't be done.

-- Posted by NewTigerFan on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 10:32 AM
  • Football Fan obviously knows alot. Cant even tell you what Division of football SEMO plays in

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Dec 19, 2013, at 6:49 PM
  • For those of you who think there is no local talent in semo for the red hawks to choose from why is it that "school up north" has talked to my son but no word from the red hawks? Didn't that "school" spank the red hawks?

-- Posted by Hatershate on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 1:08 PM
  • Hatershate, they didn't exactly "spank" the Redhawks this year FYI.

-- Posted by redhawkstudent on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 4:05 PM

Redhawkstudent, Siuc beat semo pretty soundly. And the answer to the question: of how to fix semo football is to get rid of the program.

-- Posted by Counter Top on Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 8:23 PM
  • SIU was winning by 3, at the end of the 3rd. I have definitely seen worse 'spankings' in my day. But you can twist just about anything to fit your perception.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Sat, Dec 21, 2013, at 10:34 AM
  • SEMO will never be a SIU because there is no commitment from the admin. They will eak out a few wins but never consistent . One good year every 5ys is best SEMO can do, how many coaches are they going to bring in to a dept desperately needing financial support for all their sports

-- Posted by redboy on Sun, Dec 22, 2013, at 10:52 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: