Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: It's not all just about SEMO Basketball

Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 6:01 PM:

If you follow Semo Athletics you probably know that today a new class of athletes, coaches, teams, and media personnel will join the Southeast Missouri State Hall of Fame. Here is a list of the new class that will be inducted tonight:

Jim Hamby (Assistant Football Coach, 1958-68), Beverly Slaughter (Track & Field, 1978-1981), Ron Hines (Sports Information Director, 1980-2009)/Mary Hines (Honorary Member), Christine (Ridenour) Vanatta (Cross Country/Track & Field, 1982-1984), Galen McSpadden (Baseball, 1971-1974) and the 1999-2000 Men's Basketball Team.

The "headliner" of this class is no doubt the SEMO Men's Basketball team of 1999-2000. Former Southeast Missouri State Basketball coach Gary Williams and his team had a great year in 99-00. Definitely a memorable season.

However, without trying to diminish the great season the Men's team had I want to take a look at the other new members as well. All quite deserving. One in particular in my opinion is very deserving but maybe doesn't get the recognition that others may - Galen McSpadden.

Galen McSpadden grew up in Southeast Missouri and graduated from Zalma High School. The skinny left-hander went on to play baseball at Southeast Missouri State.

That small and skinny kid put on a few pounds and started to dominate opposing hitters. He remains the only pitcher in school history to lead Southeast in ERA, innings pitched, strikeouts and wins in back-to-back seasons (1973, 1974). He also owns the record at SEMO for his 12.14 strikeouts per nine innings that led the nation in 1973. As a senior, McSpadden posted a 1.53 ERA, marking the fifth-best in school history.

McSpadden was drafted in the 6th round by the San Diego Padres. In 5 minor league seasons he never made an appearance in the majors in large part to an injury in Spring Training.

McSpadden is now a successful Junior College coach in Kansas at Seward County Community College. McSpadden has already been inducted into their Hall of Fame. McSpadden has won a total of 1,068 games and is still adding to that mark.

You can hear Galen McSpadden's story and perspective on KMHM 104.1 FM next week.

www.mysouhterngospel.net

Reference:

http://www.gosoutheast.com/news/2013/2/7/GEN_0207133945.aspx

Replies (1)

correction.....That is Gary Garner. Not Gary Williams. I must have had Maryland's former coach on my brain. Gary Garner was the former coach at Semo.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 10:41 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: