Semoball

Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: Semo baseball getting new head coach?

Posted by MumbleyPegs on Thu, Jun 7, 2012, at 7:00 PM:

I've heard a recent rumor that Hogan might be out at SEMO. I don't see why not, especially since the guy's career record at Southeast is barely over .500 through 18 or 19 years and there's been complaints flying around about him for years. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Replies (145)

• Nice try Mumbley. Coach Hogan is the winningest coach in school history. Baseball is the most successful program (other than Gymnastics but no one cares about that). His teams ALWAYS make the OVC tournament, he graduates players, and the boys are NEVER in the news (see football). If you have an ax to grind against him, that's on you but he's not going anywhere until he's ready.

-- Posted by leaky_pen on Fri, Jun 8, 2012, at 1:48 PM
  • No ax to grind. Just seeing if this is rumor or if there is some truth to it.

-- Posted by MumbleyPegs on Fri, Jun 8, 2012, at 4:41 PM
  • Couldn't help but create an account just to respond to this post.

Mumbley-I hope the rumor you heard is right. The stories I hear from my son and his teammates are a bit ridiculous. Apparently he picks and chooses the days he wants to show up to practice, attacks his players on a personal level, and shows little respect for his staff.

leaky_pen-I hope they constantly go to the tourny. If you are a coach in the OVC and can't lead your team into the OVC tournament, that's pretty bad. That would leave you in the bottom third (out of 300)of d1 teams every year, sometimes bottom 50 if you check ncaa's rankings. And you can thank his staff from the stories I hear for making sure players graduate and stay out of trouble. Also, just because he is the winningest coach in semo history doesn't mean he deserves to be the coach. Check his career record like Mumbley mentioned. Barely over .500.

"he's not going anywhere until he's ready"

This is silly. Forget unhappy players and parents. Just as long is Hogan is happy that is all that matters I guess is what you are saying.

-- Posted by Concerned-Parent on Fri, Jun 8, 2012, at 6:25 PM
  • Congrats to Kenton Parmley who just had the third leading hitting streak in NCAA history, and who's bat is now in the hall of fame. Congrats to Shae Simmons drafted by the Atlanta Braves in the 22 round and to Trenton Moses drafted by the Atlanta Braves in the 26 round.

Hogan? As coach? Who knows. All I question is why is this the big "post" when Semo had the above happen, and had, I believe, more players on the "all ovc" teams than any other team in the league...yet we must focus on the negative.

Is there a negative? Yes there is. I just want to know ...why focus on this now when there are kids who should have praise. Instead we turn the attention to this...

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sat, Jun 9, 2012, at 1:52 AM
  • LadyBug, there's a separate story for congratulations and praise for Shae, Trent, and Kenton. This post is about something completely unrelated to that. Sorry.

I hope these rumors are true. Time for a change! Seems to me those players need a coach who they enjoy playing for. Hard to win when the players long for the season to be over every year. Sad...

-- Posted by StealingHome on Sat, Jun 9, 2012, at 12:12 PM
  • semo11, you couldn't be more correct. As a former player, it is difficult to win consistantly during a long season with a coach that is in the game for himself on all levels. A change is just what this program needs! It is almost disappointing that there hasn't been anything done after the last several years of breaking down as a team down the stretch. Semo politics have hurt this program.

-- Posted by formerplayer1 on Sat, Jun 9, 2012, at 2:30 PM
  • Yes, you are right I see that post now. But that almost furthers my point. If there is a negative word to be said that is what takes priority. Ie, see the post you referred to...basically no responses.

Things may change with the coaching staff, and yes may be time. But negative people will still be negative and take the focus off the positive.

Regardless, good luck to semo baseball! Have followed it for years...and will continue to in the future.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sat, Jun 9, 2012, at 2:41 PM
  • leaky_pen...

You obviously never played for the man. In my years playing at semo, the only people who made baseball worth while there were assistant coaches and teammates of mine. The man does not deserve to coach a D1 baseball team and gets 65k/year (just check Missouri's salary book)for filling in a line up card on game day. I can remember times in the fall during practice when the man would show up to 1 or 2 practices a week. And in the spring, let's not forget his annual trip to fantasy camp in which he misses about a week of all baseball activities at one of the most important times of the year. The only reason semo has had successful teams in the past is due to the hard work and success of the players and assistants, NOT the head coach. Also, I don't only speak for myself when I say this but very few players he has coached, if any, respect him.

Something else to think about:

How many assistant coaches has Hogan been thru in the last 5 years or so? 6 or 7? Probably more if you count volunteer coaches. That should tell you something right there. I also heard that one of the current assistants who was a coach while I was there is leaving.

ladybug21...

We should absolutely be congratuling these guys on their success. But, the biggest positive for semo baseball would be if Hogan either stepped down or was let go.

Just want to finish by saying I enjoyed my years playing at semo with my teammates but as long as Hogan is the head coach there will continue to be unhappy players and a mediocre baseball program.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Sat, Jun 9, 2012, at 5:40 PM
  • I would agree with Mark Hogan leaving. Some information out there is that Hogan and the assistant, Steve Bieser had an agreement that Bieser would take over the program after two years. Well, the two years are up and Hogan has not abided by the agreement between two men. Bieser left a successful high school program in St. Louis to come to SEMO...he's a great teacher of the game and coach. The players respect him and would play for him. He goes, so does some of the young talent at SEMO. It is not the first nor will it be the last time Mark Hogan has made a statement and gone the other direction....what is that called?

-- Posted by louisville1 on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 6:02 PM
  • I hope that Bieser leaves if he isn't given the head coach job and then the players he recruited leave as well. Maybe more people will open their eyes and the university will address it. I can't tell you how many guys wanted to leave in my time at semo. Also, Cafalone is leaving so Hogan will be looking for a whole new staff for the next year. Hard to recruit talented players when the head coach can't even keep the same staff for longer than a 2 or 3 year period.

Didn't McCarty have the same thing promised to him when he was at semo?

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 7:30 PM
  • Last year you had a senior inform Mark Hogan of a players only meeting and Hogan responds by asking...how do you think this makes me feel? He made the statement because he thought he should be at the meeting. Are you kidding. It just sounds like Hogan feels the program is about him and not SEMO or the players. By the way, after that players only meeting, changes were made...Cafalone at third and Bieser in charge of the staff and calling pitches. Can you imagine Hogan calling pitches when you have an ex-pro catcher. This is just an example of his inability to communicate and coach in these current times. He's lost respect of all around him in the program...and a leader needs to have the respect of his troops....and he is surely not a Augie Garrido or Mike Martin. I am sure he thinks he is. Mark Alnutt, do the best thing for this program and ask Steve Bieser to take control. You wait another year, it could take several to earn the respect of recruits. Also, while I'm on my soap box...check the exit interviews of the graduates, that should give you an idea of what has been going on.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 7:48 PM
  • louisville1 --

You couldn't be more correct about that agreement that was not followed through on. It boggles my mind how someone with a connection to a great coach like Bieser would lure him in with an offer like that and proceed to not follow through. An act like that alone can make it very difficult to keep or even find more great, young coaches for this program that seems to be crumbling.

-- Posted by formerplayer1 on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 7:58 PM
  • It is time for Mark Hogan to show something and resign. I got a kick out of the first post by "leaky-pen". So, he won't leave until he's ready. Sounds a bit egotistical to me and I would assume the athletic director would have more to say about that then your Coach Hogan. Mark Hogan has had his time and honestly, the game and players have passed him by. By the way, did he even call Shae Simmons and congratulate him on being drafted or was he expecting Shae to call him and thank him for a miserable three years. I'm sure Hogan was waiting for him to call, actually thinking he helped in this process. I think Hogan was still upset that Shae would actually leave SEMO....please.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 8:33 PM
  • louisville, when I heard the news about not contacting Shae Simmons to congratulate him I was anything but surprised. In my eyes, it was classless for the head coach to not join Simmons in celebrating the biggest day of his life (and NO that day wouldn't be signing a letter of intent to play for Hogan and "his" declining program at SEMO).

-- Posted by formerplayer1 on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 9:07 PM
  • Really? If that's true, how do you not call one of your own players and congratulate him on being drafted or call and see what he may be thinking for coming back or not? And Hogan has been getting terrible reviews in exit interviews for years. I can remember talking to some of my former teammates about their exit interviews and none of them were positive.

I recently talked to someone close to the program and they told me Hogan has been on a one year contract for a few years now. I wonder if the university has been doing that for a reason.

And my guess is if Hogan will be deciding his own fate as head coach, he won't leave to 1,000 career wins. Not because he enjoys developing players and helping young men grow, but because he is selfish. By the way, where are the Hogan supporters on this forum? I don't see very many.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 9:10 PM
  • That's because there are no more supporters left! Couldn't help to peek in this forum. This cool cat has been robbing this university for years now being in the baseball driver's seat, but I guess that gets overlooked because he can BS to his big wallet friends and bring in money. Shame shame shame. I agree, Alnutt needs to make a big splash and class this program up and sign a guy the players want to play for.

-- Posted by StealingHome on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 9:55 PM
  • Question: what positions does everyone think former player and another former player played?

-- Posted by Daniel LaRusso on Sun, Jun 10, 2012, at 11:12 PM
  • Hey Karate Kid, im going to guess that you are looking for the answer "left out"? Let me tell you a little secret. I was a starter my whole career at semo and I know 3 players who were all-americans in my time at semo that despise the man. Let me give you an example of the type of coach he is.

We had a starting pitcher one game give up 10 runs in the first inning of a game. While this pitcher was out there on the mound trying to work thru the inning, Hogan is yelling at the player from the dugout mocking his perfomance. Mocking his OWN player from the dugout. How many head coaches have you heard of that do that?

I'll give you another example of the type of coach he is.

If you have every seen a semo baseball game, you can tell how the game is going just by watching Hogan the whole game. You don't even have to check the scoreboard. If things are not going semo's way and they are losing, the man can usually be found pouting in one of the corners of the dugout. He stops coaching completely. If the team is winning, he is all smiles and joking around and wants to be the head of the show. This is exactly what you don't want a head coach to be like. What kind of example does that set for players when your head coach gives up before any of the players do when things go wrong and takes a back seat. Or when things are going well, the head coach is front and center and leads the way.

Pay close attention to that the next time you are at a semo baseball game.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 9:41 AM
  • I don't know who else may have heard about this but some of the players from this year's team had a player only meeting with athletic department about Hogan. I also know that there was a situation the year before in which the players called a meeting with Hogan and told him how terrible of a head coach he was to his face. So if players have talked to Hogan and the athletic department about how terrible of a head coach he is there must be something going on. What else has to happen before Hogan is taken off his high horse?

I've heard as well of many players who would leave if Bieser were to leave since there would be no coaches left besides Hogan. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months.

-- Posted by Concerned-Parent on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 2:48 PM
  • Hogan wins, he recruits all-americans, and he raises his own funds for his team...he will stay as long as he wants! ;)

-- Posted by RedShirt on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 3:02 PM
  • Redshirt, Hogan doesn't recruit. His assistant coaches do. Let's get that straight right now. His assistant coaches recruit all Americans.

-- Posted by StealingHome on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 5:06 PM
  • Danny boy, I was also not picking wood out of my bottom end in my career at semo since I averaged well over 50IP a year. Sorry, we didn't give time for anyone to guess (like anyone cared about that question), but now you know the facts. Was there a comment or another question to go along with that post?

Since we are on the topic of respect here, I must add that some individuals might think that a 900-game winning coach deserves respect on sight. This is completely incorrect. When no respect is given to players, a coach will not be respected. From hearing about these two meetings led by players we can all see that those players cared for much more than just themselves. They cared about the TEAM and its ability to succeed while being happy doing it (being a misserable winner is the worst). I applaud the players for taking over THEIR own team and holding meetings such as these.

-- Posted by formerplayer1 on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 5:34 PM
  • Danny LaRusso, it truly does not make a difference what position any of these people played at SEMO. If you are insinuating that they are upset because they did not play, you are certainly barking up the wrong tree. We are talking about All-Americans, All-Conference, etc., they all did well despite some skewed guidance from Hogan. I will say it again...Mark Hogan no longer has the ability to lead a D1 program, this game has passed him by. It would be hard for me to believe that Mr. Alnutt needs a year to evaluate when he can simply speak with past AD's, read exit interviews, speak with current players and parents. Hogan has certainly lost control of the program and himself. It is very simple; you made a promise to Steve Bieser, as a man, you need to keep that promise or your word means nothing to ANYBODY!

-- Posted by louisville1 on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 6:34 PM
  • Louisville1...how do you know he made an agreement with Steve Beiser?

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 8:41 PM
  • I'm just trying to take guesses at who you guys are. Believe me, I'm not supporting Hogan. I think some fresh insight would definitely be a good thing for the Redhawks. I just hope when they do make the change that they recruit this area better. There's nothing like watching a hometown product like Moses tear up OVC pitching.

-- Posted by Daniel LaRusso on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 9:17 PM
  • Hogan really does little in terms of recruiting. I know many players who never even met the man before they signed. It was all on the assistants. As far as I know, the man never left the city limits of cape girardeau to recruit. Hogan should consider himself very lucky for having such dedicated assistants who put the program above themselves and put up with his shenanigans and cover for his incompetence as a head coach.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 10:38 PM
  • Hogan does little recruiting? Try none. Most players don't meet him until they arrive on campus for school. I've heard stories that he doesnt even know everyone's name on the team by the end of fall practice. It says a lot about his character that he cant call shae simmons to congradulate him on the draft. I hear he only shows up to practice every couple weeks. He takes his golf game a lot more serious than the program. It's a miracle this man is still around from the thousands of stories I've heard.

-- Posted by Deep-throat17 on Tue, Jun 12, 2012, at 12:20 AM
  • Wow. I haven't checked this thread since I made my post on June 8th. I read most of them, not all but most. To answer the question, I also played for Coach on the most successful team in school history - '02. I was an important piece on the team so I understand as well as anyone who runs the team and how the players feel about him. SEMO Baseball will only be as good as their talent - from players through assistant coaches. Coach Tyson and Southard were at the top of the game, which is why we were so successful. Coach Hogan is not actively involved in recruiting or practices but does run a clean program, doesn't cost the university any money, and wins.

That being said, Coach will be there until he's ready to retire.

-- Posted by leaky_pen on Tue, Jun 12, 2012, at 11:52 AM
  • leaky_pen

This goes back to what louisville said. The game of baseball at the d1 level has passed him by since '02. And with the way he handles the program how can you allow him to manage a team? As a coach, don't you want to be at practice to see how players are doing and progressing before you throw together a line up on game day? And the days he did show up to practice he disrupted anything the assistants had planned. There were multiple times when the man even showed up to practice intoxicated because he had just got back from the links and decided he should stop by.

Also, how can you say a man making 65k/year isn't costing the program money? Any assistant he's had would gladly do his job with his actual job responsiblities for 20k less than that and still not cost the univeristy any money as you put it.

And if you are a head coach not actively involved in recruiting and practices, and is only there on game day, who is really doing the winning? The man who still needs a copy of his own roster just to be able to fill in a lineup card on game day? Or would it be the players and assistants who put all the time and effort into preparing for game day?

I wonder how much more successful the program would be if you had a head coach who participated in practices and recruiting and actually prepared a team to play. Instead of just having a head coach who shows up on game day when people are in the stands, and puts names down on a line up card.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Tue, Jun 12, 2012, at 2:25 PM
  • Wowwww. I guess either Mark Hogan really might be in hot water or he just upset a few of the wrong people. Doesn't seem like there are many people willing to defend him on here. Hard to see how a university employs a head coach with a career winning a percentage around .530 after 18 years at the helm. I understand winning isn't everything in college athletics but I think many people would love to see semo baseball take it to the next level and make it to a regional regulargly.

-- Posted by MumbleyPegs on Wed, Jun 13, 2012, at 2:24 PM
  • Something I left out of my post yesterday. Coach Hogan is a local guy, born and raised in CG. He is buddies with all the boosters, knows several former Cardinals, and is best at raising funds and running the overall program. He is more of a GM to the program than anything else.

Some of you are calling for his head and wanting Bieser who is born in Ste. Gen, lived there his whole life, and commutes to SEMO daily. How is he going to connect with boosters or integrate into the community when he is not willing to leave Ste. Gen? I do not know him personally but he didn't leave for the Vianney job and hasn't moved in 2 years @ SEMO. His youngest has barely started school, so it's not like he's going to be pressuring SEMO to give him the job or he's leaving. Where's he going to go? Back to high school? Not to mention, the Redhawks are 57-58 since Bieser got to SEMO; I doubt he'll be at the top of the list since most people agree that the assistants are running the day-to-day operations. Just because he played in the big leagues doesn't mean he can coach or raise money. A few years at the high school level then 2 years (below .500) as an assistant does not qualify him for a/the top job.

To the other former players, as you're dishing dirt on Coach, just remember that he gave you assistance to earn a degree. Like him or not, you have to respect the guy who gave you a chance when you were teenager.

-- Posted by leaky_pen on Wed, Jun 13, 2012, at 3:49 PM
  • So make the man in charge of fundraising and make a gm position. Don't allow him to come in on game day and make decisions that affect the outcome of a game.

If Hogan is still anything like when I played his assistants develop the players all year long during practices, know how and when to use players, and know the players the best. But come game day Hogan manages without any of that information and ignores the recommendations of his assistants. Not to mention he lacks the respect of his players due to all this among other things.

I would think it's safe to say that word has gotten around about Hogan through players and parents that Hogan is not a man you want to play for, so recruiting is getting more and more difficult.

If you think that Hogan plays any roll in earning a degree that's ignorant. He couldn't tell you what any of his players even major in and doesn't decide who initially receives a scholarship or not. So what assistance is he providing?

NONE OF THIS IS DIRT, IT'S THE TRUTH.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Wed, Jun 13, 2012, at 5:04 PM
  • leaky_pen,

First of all, since Hogan is so good at raising money from boosters and boozin' buddies, why doesn't the school just have him be in control of the booster club or something like "GM". He doesn't run the overall program, either. He represents the program and raises money, Period. Smoochin' tail for money shouldn't be a requirement for any head coach in college and certainly does not make someone an effective head coach. And don't get too carried away, nobody is "calling for his head". We just want a real head coach to be the head coach so that semo baseball can be worth a little more.

Question: Personally, would you rather have a head coach who raises money and doesn't cost the school money while having unhappy and average OVC teams each year OR have a head coach that costs the school money and has a Regional contending team that can actually raise money through winning by running a great program (while players are also enjoying the game)?

Sorry to say, but you are clueless when it comes to Bieser from what knowledge I have.

1. Who really give a rat's @$$ where a coach lives, honestly!?

2.I'll put money on Bieser being in that baseball office (along with other assistants)and on the baseball field twice as much as Hogan. So Ste. Gen has nothing to do with anything.

3. The Redhawks had a very difficult year this year because of a lot of new players coming in at the same time (18 seniors left 2 springs ago). It isn't the easiest thing to get a club going when a head coach goes into the season without confidence in his new/young players (you would know that if you had a little beind-the-scenes insight).

4. THE MAN KNOWS HIS STUFF AND CAN COACH HIS TAIL OFF. All you have to do is talk baseball to him and see how he works with players.

5. You probably thought the same thing about McCarty leaving and look what he was able to do with a different lower level program without an outdated head coach to hold him back (after having a couple brutal years at semo)?

I was given no "assistance" in earning my degree from Coach Hogan. I appreciate a partial scholarship completely, though, which was available other places as well.

-- Posted by formerplayer1 on Wed, Jun 13, 2012, at 5:05 PM
  • What its comes down to is Hogan has no business leading a program because he doesn't know the first thing about leading. You need to be in the trenches with your guys day in and day out, not showing up when it's convenient and when the spotlight is on. He's everything the manager of a team should NOT be.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Wed, Jun 13, 2012, at 5:17 PM
  • He was hoping he would get the AD job, which I can see him being successful at (however he would have to actually come to work....). Also; I don't think anyone has officially taken Brune's job yet. Hogan would be great at that! I think for the school itself he can be viewed as beneficial, just not on the baseball field anymore.

-- Posted by StealingHome on Wed, Jun 13, 2012, at 5:27 PM
  • As a former staff member, I know Hogan and his past few assistant coaches very well. I have seen first hand many of the things that have been said in this forum.

Personally, I have nothing against the guy. He always supported me in everything I did for that team. I also know for a fact that Bieser only came to SEMO because he would be at the helm within a couple seasons and this is something that has yet to be seen, obviously. I couldn't agree more that Hogan would be excellent in a fundraising position for Athletics. The man knows anyone and everyone in and around Cape. He rakes in the cash.

In regards to leaky_pen's post earlier about Bies, pretty much EVERYTHING you said is absolute bull! Steve Bieser is a tremendous coach and would do SEMO baseball well to have him in charge. I would love nothing more for that team to see him in the head spot. When he does take over, as he in clearly the next in line for the position, you can expect SEMO baseball to take off like a rocket.

-- Posted by semo2009 on Wed, Jun 13, 2012, at 8:08 PM
  • Maybe time for him to go, bot going to argue that. However...

It doesn't matter who the coach is...they will have difficulty drawing kids of today, to a city park baseball field. I have been to many fields in the ovc and most of them are meticulous...even the schools who are at the bottom of the league. I personally love capaha...but when a kid has to wonder if a ground ball is going to take a bad hop and hit them between the eyes...well...has anyone heard the term crapaha?

My question is, why doesn't semo support the baseball program?

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Wed, Jun 13, 2012, at 10:43 PM
  • No has mentioned that Hogan has only won half his games in almost 20 years, actually he broke a RECORD FOR LOSING MOST GAMES IN A ROW!!!! (maybe most his wins were in last century) Plus the night he finally won, he couldn't make it to the game the next day because he was sick? With a long history of drinking on the job makes you wonder, was it really the flu? On top of that several players broke curfew and got in a fight at a bar after crewfew. The other school's AD had to bring it to SEMO's attention and players only missed 1 game after several previous warnings. The players also have pictures and videos of Hogan getting drunk and passing out on a trip to New Mexico, when they were stuck in airport. I personally have seem his behavior on the bench and is SO UNPROFESSIONAL! A game at ASU he actually told players they were LOSERS & LAID DOWN ON THE BENCH! He burns through pitchers and has wasted red shirts to play just one game to prove a point. He should be called Coach What Have You Done For Me Lately because if you don't produce EVERY TIME or bribe him with donations he has no interest in players. Some of the players who won awards this years, he wouldn't give the time a day to years prior. He actually put in a player that had never hit in college in the 4th spot. REALLY? Was it to prove a point or just lazy??? MOST OF HIS STAR PLAYERS HAVE COME FROM VIANNEY, the winning high school BIESER develped players that go to the draft. Bieser has been in the Majors, where did Hogan play? LOL Its bad enough to not come to pratice but to then not listen to the coaches who do his job and work with the kids is frustrating for everyone! Most hish schools and select team coaches have is number and go out of their way not to have their kids come to SEMO! The new AD should finally take charge of the good old boy and put the student athletes over money!!!!

-- Posted by Juicy on Thu, Jun 14, 2012, at 11:08 AM
  • It has been some time since I viewed some of these postings, and, it came to my surprise that no one followed up on a comment made some time ago about Hogan's drinking....until...Juicy brought this up. Hogan does what he wants because he feels invincible to any possible suspension or firing. Mark Alnutt, what are you waiting for...drinking on the job and NO accountability. REALLY! Maybe Mark Alnutt should be asked to leave before he gets started...where is his accountability. We are talking about D1 college athletics, AND, this program is clean....except the head coaches' drinking.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Sat, Jun 16, 2012, at 12:17 PM
  • He does think he's invincible and can't be touched. That's why he's acted the way he has for so long now. Mark Hogan is a "Me" guy and it's all about him getting that next W added to his career numbers. He never put any effort into really getting to know players or cared to make the experience of the athletes a priority. It was always Mark Hogan's team and about Mark Hogan.

I know his contract is up at the end of this month so we'll find out if the university will test his invincibility. They really need to get rid of him because the athlete's experience should be a top priority.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 12:42 PM
  • His contract is void at the end of this month. Well, it would be an opportune time to see how selfish Hogan truly is. If Hogan is told that he would be a great fund raiser for the baseball program and athletic department in general and is asked to do so, but, he declines. That would just tell me he thinks more of himself than the school or the baseball program. Mark Hogan is not an asset to the baseball program and I would not offer any suggestions to quality high school players to go to SEMO....AS LONG AS MARK HOGAN IS THERE.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 8:31 PM
  • I would say that if you are so adamant on this subject, take it to people who can do something about it. This has become equivalent to the gossip site topix. Man (or probably should say woman) up and take concerns to semo administration. I would hope that they don't listen to anonymous postings on a web site to make decisions. If they do...that should worry all of us as each of our employers could do the same...truth or not. It is becoming too easy to trash people with no accountability attached.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Wed, Jun 20, 2012, at 12:31 AM
  • ladybug- its been done for years. Players have to do exit interviews with administration and every person in charge has read them and just signed off and looked the other way. So everyone in the athletic department is aware of his "style" of coaching. But the reason they won't and haven't done anything with the man is because he is so well connected. Many of the boosters and community members would throw a fit and lash out at the atheltic department if they fired him or refused to renew a contract. Have you not read any of this? Your comments and presence on this forum are really annoying because it's obvious you don't know anything about what type of man he is and how things work.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Wed, Jun 20, 2012, at 3:53 PM
  • I have been a lifelong student of baseball and have never seen a worse coach than Hogan. He has lost the last two OVC tournaments on his own. He only cares about himself. He thinks that if he has a winning season and makes the OVC tournament that will be enough to kept his job. He does not care about winning baseball. However, there is a new AD in town, and I hope he changes things. I do not know why anyone would want to play for him, but every year he gets some very good players. Just think how good this players would be with a good coach. OVC champs on a regular bases. I want Steve to be the coach. I think he is great, but hampered by Hogan.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Wed, Jun 20, 2012, at 8:34 PM
  • I would be willing to bet you guys didn't say any of this stuff in your exit interviews.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Wed, Jun 20, 2012, at 10:35 PM
  • My appologies to you AnotherFormerPlayer. I certainly am not trying to annoy you. If you think that I have not read this and have no clue, maybe YOU should go back and read my comments. I have read it all and have said...maybe it is time...however, I also know that there are always disgruntled people out there...whether they have a legitimate beef or not. They may stir the pot in the stands, stir it from the duggout, or wait until college has come to an end. In the end...I will again ask why SEMO does not support the baseball program (which is the real problem here) and even you know it. I hope that you asked that question at your exit interview.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Wed, Jun 20, 2012, at 11:32 PM
  • ladybug21: you are clueless in Cape Girardeau. Support of the program IS NOT the real problem. You sound like one of Hogan's drinking buddies blaming the university for his shortcomings. C'mon now. The AD has been informed, as well as the previous AD and it is time to move on with Steve Bieser. If the boosters don't support the team, after Hogan has not been retained, than they are not the type of boosters you truly need. Geez!

-- Posted by louisville1 on Thu, Jun 21, 2012, at 8:07 AM
  • Semo baseball might be the best supported in all of the OVC. No where else do you see 300-1000 people at a conference game besides at Semo. People in cape girardeau love their baseball and always come out to support, even during a down year like this past season.

If things are to improve at semo for the baseball athletes then Hogan must be removed.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Thu, Jun 21, 2012, at 8:55 AM
  • Then go to the athletic department about it instead of complaining on a message board! This isn't going to solve anything!

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, Jun 21, 2012, at 10:54 AM
  • 7plus1- lets do a little summary here.

-Hogan has received terrible exit interviews from players for years whether or not you want to believe that

-The ENTIRE 2010-11 squad demanded a player and head coach only meeting in which they reamed Hogan for his poor leaderhsip and terrible approach to coaching

-There was a player meeting with a member of the athletic department about Hogan (with double digit players present, all returners)

So like I said, the athletic department is very aware of Hogan's treatment of players and handling of the program. They know Hogan is is well connected and for that reason they have not fired him yet. I'm commenting on this forum hoping to enlighten the many who know Hogan outisde of baseball and don't realize how 2-faced he really is.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Thu, Jun 21, 2012, at 3:00 PM
  • We will see what the new AD is made of in the coming months, go along play a long or real change and winning sports at SEMO. Hogan must go as coach. Give him another job at SEMO.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 1:27 AM
  • You have to be a current player. Get over it you're playing for coach Hogan next year unless you transfer or get cut. Sorry bout it.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 8:56 AM
  • If SEMO (thats Southeast Missouri State University) supported the baseball program we would not be having this discussion, now would we.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 10:38 AM
  • 7plus1- Hogan is a dingleberry on the @$$ of the athletic department. They wanted him out a long time ago but can't do it. It's politics is all. So until your boy Hogan decides to hang it up (or finally realizes he's a terrible coach), you are right, he'll probably still be there. But like I said, until then, players will continue to regret their decisions to come to semo and the player's experience and well-fare will continue to decline. Let's remember this: college athletics is about the student athlete, not the man who sits at the head of the program.

If most people knew what really goes on with semo baseball, NO ONE WOULD HAVE A HINT OF RESPECT FOR THE MAN.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 4:07 PM
  • Regardless of what anybody thinks, whether it's fact or not, this is pretty immature to be putting this kind of information on this website. Trust me I know what goes on but I'm not going to sit here and post it on a forum for everyone to see. It's ridiculous.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Jun 23, 2012, at 12:20 AM
  • It's not immature at all. Every word I have written on here is true and I'm trying to inform others about the type of person Hogan truly is (I'll leave it up to them to decide what they want to believe). It's especially not immature if something wrong is going on and everything that could be done in the right manner has been done without any changes. What's immature is people like you know what really goes on but you continue to support the man because you'd rather have his approval than do what's right.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Sat, Jun 23, 2012, at 11:04 AM
  • Keep it coming, maybe someone will hear.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Sat, Jun 23, 2012, at 9:13 PM
  • I will not reply to this again. It just keeps the thread going. Semo not supporting baseball is the problem. Period. Hope things work out for the best of semo baseball. And I wish all the current players as well as their parents nothing but success and well wishes.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sat, Jun 23, 2012, at 9:56 PM
  • I'm not sure that I said I support the man. Just think it's silly to be posting this on a forum. Good luck this season "AnotherFormerPlayer". Hope you all win a championship.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Jun 23, 2012, at 11:56 PM
  • Let me make this clear. I am not a current player, hence the name AnotherFormerPlayer. And wish the semo baseball team luck in winning a championship but it won't be happening anytime soon. At least while Hogan is there.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Sun, Jun 24, 2012, at 4:06 PM
  • check out how Zack Smith has pitched for Bolen vs Hogan. It tells the whole story.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Sun, Jun 24, 2012, at 11:17 PM
  • Hogan is a knucklehead when it comes time to handling a pitching staff. Thank God that Bieser is around. Again, Hogan is "clueless" in SEMO.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Mon, Jun 25, 2012, at 7:29 PM
  • I have no affiliation with the SEMO program other than I would like to see the program to well. If Coach Hogan burned a kids redshirt season just to prove a point then that's just ignorant. Playing God and ruining a kids opportunity to succeed does not make you a good coach. Shame on him if he did this.

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Mon, Jun 25, 2012, at 10:35 PM
  • Guru, you can't compare Smith's competition between the summer and spring ball teams he is facing. Has nothing to do with coaching there.

-- Posted by ToastedCheesesus on Wed, Jun 27, 2012, at 5:04 PM
  • The situation with Smith would not be the first for Hogan. He absolutely can NOT manage a pitching staff, has no idea. Does not place a kid in a position to compete and succeed, does not communicate well with the staff or players and is NOT a man of his word. There have been numerous players who did not respond to Hogan, but, place them in a top notch summer collegiate league and they played extremely well. Competition in the summer at Capaha, I'm not sure...but...I could see Smith doing a nice job. Congrats to him for proving Hogan wrong, once again!

-- Posted by louisville1 on Wed, Jun 27, 2012, at 8:50 PM
  • Is here Hogan story that explains a little bit of the type of "coach" he is.

One year, bill self came to speak at semo and we were scheduled for practice at the same time he was going to speak. One of the assistants is on the road recruiting so Hogan is left to lead a portion of practice for once. We finish getting loose and start a round of infield with everything going well. All the sudden Hogan throw does the fungo and tells everyone to leave the field because no one looked like they wanted to be there. Or so he claims. So he leaves and everyone is standing there like what the hell just happened, and then the other assistant comes up and tells us he had that planned the whole time because he didn't want to have to be at practice while self was in town speaking. Sure enough, some of the players drive by the show me center with hogan's truck parked up front no less than 10 minutes after he told us to leave the field because it looked like we didn't want to be there when in reality he didn't want to be there. And it was all premeditated.

That tells everyone a little bit about where baseball lands on hogan's priority list.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Wed, Jun 27, 2012, at 11:45 PM
  • *Here is a

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Thu, Jun 28, 2012, at 7:54 AM
  • I swore I would not respond to this again...but. Former player, was hogan right for doing that maybe not. But really the person who stirred the pot there was your assistant coach. He should not have undermined, and you know it. On and on you go. The more you speak the less people are going to listen.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Thu, Jun 28, 2012, at 11:58 AM
  • I'm still listening bug of ladies.

The assistant coach did not stir anything in this situation. Players already knew what was going on when Hogan's truck was seen parked up front for the Self speech. The assistant just reassured the players that they were correct.

7plus1 - stay off the post all together if you think it's silly. Nobody cares what you have to say about it being a worthless post. cya.

I think some people are just so familiar with Hogan outside of baseball and are blind to behind-the-seens occurances. Denial is a good word to describe 7plus1 and baseball guru (who is no sort of guru I'm sure) and ladybug I hope this just opened your eyes a little bit to what happens in the program.

-- Posted by formerplayer1 on Thu, Jun 28, 2012, at 7:54 PM
  • Amazing that when you think someone doesn't agree with your point you personally attack. Funny thing is that the posters you have personally attacked have never disagreed with you, only your tactics. You are really not helping your cause.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Thu, Jun 28, 2012, at 10:36 PM
  • ladybug21 - discontinue responding, you sound like you're related to Hogan. Personal or not, these seem to be factual. He is who he is...someone who doesn't know how to coach but wants to receive any and all accolades that come to the players. What he says in public...radio, etc...and what he says to his players are completely different. The athletic department needs to begin acting on all the past exit interviews and open a new chapter in SEMO baseball without Mark Hogan. Have some guts and make a new path or at least refine the one you are on.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Fri, Jun 29, 2012, at 9:40 AM
  • Yes ma'am. I will stop responding, as directed.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Fri, Jun 29, 2012, at 12:39 PM
  • Okay be honest with me. And use your brain please...do you think this is solving anything? Truly? Or is this just ripping a person on a public forum because you had a negative experience? The guy on the 02 team earlier said it was just fine. Has he changed that much for the worst in ten years?

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, Jun 29, 2012, at 4:59 PM
  • let us try this again, for those non believers. Shae had an era of 3.60 as a freshman, worse as a sophomore, and 4.50 as a junior with semo. In each of these years during the summer, his era was 1.00 or below, and in the minors is 0.00. Is anyone listening.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Sat, Jun 30, 2012, at 1:43 AM
  • hogan stood on the mound next to shae during the season and disrupted him? when did they allow that?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Jun 30, 2012, at 7:19 AM
  • Folks, you just can't believe unless you were truly a part of seeing Hogan's meltdowns and egomaniacal actions/reactions. Yes, he has gotten way out of hand since '02....it happens. The athletic department just has to realize the best move for the program is to inform Mark Hogan he is no longer wanted in SEMO's baseball program. As I have mentioned before, he does not treat players with respect nor does he deserve the respect of players, coaches and parents. This is NOT a good environment or situation. It's to bad because the Cape and Capaha are nice places.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Sat, Jun 30, 2012, at 12:13 PM

Sounds like a classic case of the age old sports formula for below average non championship winning players:

We didn't win = Coach's or somebody else's fault

We won = Pat myself on the back because I was the reason we won

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Sat, Jun 30, 2012, at 4:53 PM
  • Sounds like a non-championship coach with players he recruited. Hmmmm. Not sure 6+4+3=2? It's a classical coach who has a difficult time adjusting to the times of coaching and feels his way is always the right way. Even John Wooden wrote in his book about learning new ways of coaching from a first year high school coach. Now that's open-minded and feeling comfortable with who you are and what you represent.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Sat, Jun 30, 2012, at 6:22 PM
  • Guru...summer ball is a little different than division 1...aluminum bats vs wood and not a care in the world. Shae had 2 tremendous seasons as a redhawk. One was a little down but a 3.60 and 4.50 isnt anything to hang your head about in division 1 baseball. Just stop guys. This is dumb he's coaching this year get over it. There is nothing that you can say on here that can change that result which is why I say it's a pointless argument.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Jun 30, 2012, at 8:39 PM

Louisville, if you are going to measure any coach to John Wooden you are going to be dissappointed. There will only be one Wooden. I've have been asked many times about my years at Semo playing for Hogan and I will tell you as I told anyone who asks. I will not bad mouth a guy who wrote my name down on the lineup card every game for 4 years, in which we averaged about 34 wins and won an OVC Championship. What happened before me or after me I cannot comment on, but I had the best years of my life playing baseball at Semo in which Mark Hogan was the head coach, and I feel if I was in trouble and asked him for help he would do it in a heartbeat. Did I agree with everything he did? No, as I'm sure he didn't agree with everything we his players did. Are there guys that have legitmate beefs with Coach Hogan? I'm sure there are, but I've always felt you played the game to the best of your ability and wanted to win for your teammates/brothers you worked so hard with year round. The years I played we were blessed with 2 assistant coaches that I feel were the main reason we were successfull, Jeremy Tyson and Scott Southard, and I have heard Coach Hogan say many times how lucky we were and he was to have those guys. My point is it takes all aspects of your program to be on the same page and have to right people in place to be successful. You guys don't like Coach Hogan, that is your right to have that opinion, but please respect those of us who had the time of their lives playing at Semo under him. We treasure those times and this program and don't like people running it down.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Sun, Jul 1, 2012, at 11:58 AM
  • Hogan's last 3 assistant coaches DESPISE the man. Mac left because working under him was extremely difficult and coaching his own players was impossible. Caf left after 6 years due to poor treatment and received no respect from Hogan after doing the job of 2 men (covering for Hogan's rear end). And Bieser is most likely on the way out due to the shaft he received from Hogan and can't stand the environment an assistant coach under Hogan has to withstand.

I don't know what Hogan was like 10 years ago but from the sounds of it he was a much better coach and person than he has been in recent years. I still can't believe that after all the complaints expressed to the athletic department from members of the program and those close to the program in recent years, that Hogan is still employed.

Let's not forget that in 18 years at semo Hogan is only some where around 526-456 (a .536 winning percentage). So Hogan obviously isn't still a coach because he's a winner. And don't use the excuse that he goes to the OVC tournament every year. You can be a pretty bad team in conference and still make the tournament.

No one has tainted the image of the 02 team on this forum. And you and your teammates may have had the time of your lives back in 02 playing under Hogan but I can tell you no player is saying that from recent years. They may have had fun playing baseball and with everything else that comes along with college life, but they definitely will not say they had the time of their lives because they played under Hogan.

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Sun, Jul 1, 2012, at 6:52 PM
  • First, the competition level of the Capahas is not far off and sometimes the same as a D1 team or better. They do play a couple of teams that could not compete in little league baseball, but Zack does not pitch against these teams.

Do you watch the Capahas and look up the players to see their playing backgrounds, I do.

Shae pitched his first year against alumin. bats but the next two years he pitched against composite bats, which are very close to wood.

No matter how "good" a coach you are. You would not be my coach if you have not won the OVC tournament in more than ten years.

I do not care if this helps get rid of Hogan; it makes me feel better!!!! WE live in America where it is our right to give our voice and thoughts!!!

In all fairness, Cap probably could not get the soon to be wife to move to Cape.

Last thought, with all this, semo still recruits some very good players-- how.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Sun, Jul 1, 2012, at 8:17 PM
  • I know that Mrs. Louiville1 directed me to stay off of here,, but as Guru said...this is America where voices are heard. Thank goodness we live in America where we have the right to face our accusers. So don't hide...go to semo and voice your issues. Period.

You think I am a silly female who should stfu. Wrong.

Thank you 6+4+3=2. You get this...

If you want to bring the capahas in to this...thank goodness they have had semo to draw players from over the years. Don't even try to compare.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sun, Jul 1, 2012, at 9:44 PM
  • 6+4+3=2, not sure you understand, but, in NO WAY am I comparing Hogan to Wooden (God help us all if that was the case), except from the standpoint that Wooden was smart enough and did not allow his ego to get in the way of always being open-minded and looking to make things better for his squad.....do you think Hogan can do that...he can't and won't. Did they happen to enlarge the door to his office? Also, for those of you who can not or do not like these complaints on a public forum....very simple...don't read them. Why in the heck is Hogan's Heroes theme song played when Hogan comes out to pull a pitcher...stupid. No, please don't tell me Hogan is a hero or the reliever or...geez...find another song or does Hogan like it? Good luck to Steve Bieser.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Mon, Jul 2, 2012, at 11:45 AM

I will let you all in on a little secret, if you want Semo athletics on the whole to improve, the man to replace is Ken Dobbins, he wants Semo to be a fine arts university and will continue to try and promote River Campus activities over anything athletic. Never understood how some people think schools fund programs like that, I'm sure athletic revenue has nothing to do with it. I'm sure Duke's basketball program doesn't help their university. I know baseball isn't a big revenue sport, but if football and basketball could start being successful, perhaps with an investment from the administration, the whole university would reap the benefits

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Jul 2, 2012, at 12:39 PM
  • Sorry guru but the level of competition is not even close to d1..only when they go to witchita. It's a men's league. D1 competition is college summer leagues. Shae was a closer his first year and this year a starter. Starter is going to have a much higher era but if you look at his numbers they are wry comparable to his freshman year he just threw 40 more innings. And also, the new bats are way better than wood. I don't care what anyone says.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Mon, Jul 2, 2012, at 12:56 PM
  • But just for the record before you start sayin I'm knocking the caps, I'm not. They always have a good team and the players are talented but they don't control what type of competition they face and the competition isn't very good.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Mon, Jul 2, 2012, at 12:59 PM
  • It isn't about who your team plays, It is about the quality of YOUR play. What you learn..what you put into it and what you as a player or coach get out of it. The respect the players are shown or the lack of it...On any level of any sport. I personally believe a coach receives the respect back that they give to their players and staff.

-- Posted by stlthoughts2 on Tue, Jul 3, 2012, at 8:24 AM
  • 6+4+3=2, you sound like a locally raised athlete who had an excellent career playing baseball at SEMO and are proud of the program regardless who coaches it and have the respect and audacity to say so. I played football at SEMO in the mid-late 70's and would never publicly disparage the program regardless if I liked the coach or not. Coach Hogan has put his life into the program and with the exception of track is the overall top program at the university. Some posters on here need to grow up and quit whining in public.The baseball team also uses a lot of local talent just like the football teams I played for. Go Indians!, er Redhawks!!

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Jul 5, 2012, at 5:56 PM
  • 6+4+3=2, you sound like a locally raised athlete who had an excellent career playing baseball at SEMO and are proud of the program regardless who coaches it and have the respect and audacity to say so. I played football at SEMO in the mid-late 70's and would never publicly disparage the program regardless if I liked the coach or not. Coach Hogan has put his life into the program and with the exception of track is the overall top program at the university. Some posters on here need to grow up and quit whining in public.The baseball team also uses a lot of local talent just like the football teams I played for. Go Indians!, er Redhawks!!

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Jul 5, 2012, at 6:10 PM
  • The only comment those of you have to say that support Hogan is stop complaining on this forum...blab blab blab. Once again. Those who show any support for the man know very little about what goes on. So do yourself a favor and find out some facts and talk to some former players from recent years. Everyone seems to ignore the truth around here just because some man has had success in 2 years out of 18 and he's a good politician

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Thu, Jul 5, 2012, at 7:15 PM
  • Let us all hope that Hogan is gone (being the coach) soon and has a very happy life. With Steve, the program will go through the roof. I only hope Steve stays long enough.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Thu, Jul 5, 2012, at 8:30 PM

Once again, I'm sorry you guys didn't win a championship and that you have to blame your coach. But then again that probably explains why right there. I'm sure with a different coach you would have been an All American and the team would have went to Omaha. I'm sure Mr Alnutt has you on speed dial for your input in this matter, since you know the real story.

Semo ref, you are a wise man, and I appreciate your understanding on this matter.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Fri, Jul 6, 2012, at 11:14 PM
  • 6+4+3=clueless, nobody is Blaming the coach for not winning the beloved OVC. What is being said is that he does not DESERVE to coach anymore. I would have, along with many other players, liked to be happy and comfortable around my coach and win over 30 games without a ship rather than be around someone that didn't understand the game or even know his players personally and win a ship.

I'd like to be given examples of successful and "player-liked" coaches that have the tactics that Hogan used. And some coaches that are still liked and effective leaders that have been in one place for about 2 decades. Change is OK, people.

And forums are for people to discuss and complain about things (is this your first ro-day-ho or what???), for all you people who are tired of being part of this forum.

-- Posted by formerplayer1 on Sat, Jul 7, 2012, at 12:14 PM

You would rather be comfortable and happy around your coach, win 30 games, and could care less about a championship? I'm sorry that's talk I don't understand and never will, maybe you should have played club ball or something. I and I would think 99% of other college athletes would take a championship over having a buddy as their coach

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Sat, Jul 7, 2012, at 10:24 PM

I'm not going to say anymore, you guys obviously feel very strongly against him and that's your right. I just wanted to shed light from the other side. And just to be clear 6+4+3=2 is a double play, which by the sound of things is something your teams needed more of on defense.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Sat, Jul 7, 2012, at 10:33 PM
  • double play boy. I never said that I wanted a coach that was my buddy, but being miserable around a miserable man just sucks!

And you are a complete joke if you're bashing other teams.I don't remember any former players even asking what ur name meant.

And you are telling me that you went to SEMO expecting to win ships? I certainly had a strong desire and drive to win ships but I was not blind to the fact that Semo historically does not win ships or finish years strong with Hogan being the head coach.

-- Posted by formerplayer1 on Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 10:54 AM
  • So forums are to discuss and complain? It appears that the only discussion you want to hear is discussion that supports your view. And, if anyone disagrees, once again demeaning personal attacks. You are not helping your cause when you do that. It sways opinion, but not in your favor.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 11:33 AM
  • Because of the title Hogan has (head coach), he plays a major role in the experience of a baseball athlete at semo. In recent years,and I say recent years because I don't know what he was like before I played, Hogan has not cared about making the experience of playing baseball at southeast the best it can be. He doesn't care to create connections with players or take the time to get to know them. For example, I knew some players who were a part of the program for 5 years (all-americans too) and Hogan couldn't even tell you what those guys majored in. 5 years he "coached" and "lead" these guys but yet he knew nothing about them outside of people they were at the field everyday. Obviously he doesn't care about his athletes if in 5 years he can't put any effort into creating any sort of friendship with players.

Hogan also doesn't put any effort into making you a better baseball player. And you know why that is? It's because he doesn't know how to teach any aspect of the game. The only part of practice he would take over (on days he showed up) was baserunning, which he claimed to have vast knowledge of. And how difficult is it to run the bases and take a lead? Not hard at all. And it's probably a blessing that he hasn't recruited because he doesn't know how to evaluate talent. But he'll have to start recruiting since he can't find another coach so it'll be interesting to see who he actually recruits.

Also, winning championships is the goal of every player at semo. But every player realizes how difficult it is to win one under Hogan after their first season. He brings way too much baggage to the table as far as his personality and style of coaching. He doesn't even make winning enjoyable. Had we won championships I would still say all the same things about the man.

I still don't understand how people think he is or ever was a great coach. Since being at semo he's won only 2 championships. In what, 18 years? I guess success for you guys is winning 2 championships in 18 years and the other 16 years just being .500?

-- Posted by AnotherFormerPlayer on Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 12:38 PM
  • Wow . . . haven't been to semoball.com in a while. Now I know why - whiners. Going to semofans site. In the business world they would call some you guys disgruntled employees. Easy to bash without using your name.

-- Posted by ROTC on Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 2:31 PM
  • ROTC...I predict this..."we have told the semo administration all of this in our exit interviews, and nothing gets done. Therefore we must inform those who are 'clueless' regarding this situation, using anonymous names! We want 'Steve' to get the job! We must bring in names and players (other than ourselves) to make points, even though those players could speak for themselves. We continue to do this to clue people in, even though by doing so we are making it so that semo cannot dismiss hogan because he can now say that the reason he may be fired is because of a hear say forum (equivalent to the topix gossip site)!". You people are stupid for this tactic. Yes I said stupid. You just would not listen to reason. Now my guess is it has backfired on you!

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 7:05 PM
  • The truth tellers must bring MANY former players to this discussion (other than these few) to legitimize this account. I mean contact former players and bring them to this topic and let them tell their stories. It has to be a lot.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 8:00 PM
  • Yes...you are correct! And have them state their NAMES! Or...maybe they should go to semo administration and say what they need to say IN PERSON! 20 or 30 MEN might just change the way it is. Some of the parents who have been involved with this "discussion" might want to go as well. You are NOT going to affect change doing it how you have been...on a public forum! Period!

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 8:30 PM
  • One more thing...you cannot legitimize anything unless you post your names... Are you kidding me???

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sun, Jul 8, 2012, at 9:48 PM
  • I want to keep fighting!

-- Posted by ToastedCheesesus on Tue, Jul 10, 2012, at 5:02 PM
  • Well some interesting things on here that's for sure. First off as being around the program in many different aspects these things are sadly true. I was lucky enough to win one of the two championships and I can say it was largely due to great assistant coaches. Coach hogan is a guy who likes to take the credit when things go well and will "TOB" it when it doesn't go well. He is a great fund raiser and a hell of politician. He shows no respect for his players, staff, or parents. I have known players and coaches who have been thru the program since I have and the stories are the same. I have personally known coaches that told me they wouldn't send kids there bc of him. The program will continue to struggle and I believe he will keep his job bc semo loves mediocre teams. The school doesn't want teams to be successful bc that would mean they would have to put money into the program. Baseball is at a disadvantage as they only get 9.5 scholarships vs 11 like every other school to fill a team of 30. Take a look at the facilities. Capaha is a great environment to watch a game but the field is by far the worst in the conference. Indoor cages are a joke and get shared in a gym that competes with softball, gymnastics and volleyball. So as much as I think it's time for coach to step aside he's not going anywhere till he gets that 1000 wins and then we will see what somebody else can do. I hope for semo sake it happens soon bc he is running kids away. So as much as it is a disgrace how he acts and treats players I think the school is to blame as well forgetting things get to this point. Listen to exit exams talk to parents and talk to the regulars who watch the games not the drunks on the hill those are his buddies. It's Tim's for a change. How many asst coaches do u have to go thru

-- Posted by Semo-boys on Tue, Jul 10, 2012, at 10:07 PM
  • A few of us guys have been to some of the other OVC games..Capaha is not the worst field and people need to remember SEMO is the only team I know of that plays on a city owned park. They don't even have their own field. They built a place for softball but not baseball...This raises another question..WHY..The area that they built the softball complex would have been a great area for baseball

-- Posted by stlthoughts2 on Wed, Jul 11, 2012, at 8:03 AM
  • I agree with what you say Ladybug21. Gosh, I didn't know so many people disliked Hogan. Anyway, just don't like the topic and complaining. Don't know Hogan that well. I do like Coach Nutt and Coach Sam. Later.

-- Posted by ROTC on Wed, Jul 11, 2012, at 3:44 PM
  • Coach Hogan has run a successful, clean, winning program for the last 18 years, and it's quite sad to see people get on here and bad-mouth the man while hiding behind screen names. Is he the greatest baseball coach ever? Obviously not. Has he done an excellent job at Southeast preparing young men and putting a competitive team on the field nearly every season? Without a doubt. AnotherFormerPlayer mentioned earlier that Coach Hogan was "only some where around 526-456 (a .536 winning percentage)". Compared to Coach Nutt's .344 winning percentage and Coach Samuel's .368, that .536 winning percentage looks pretty good. I realize Coach Nutt has his program on the rise, and his winning percentage should continue to get better, but it's still almost .100 lower than Coach Hogan's.

I played baseball at Southeast in 2002-03 and experienced Coach Hogan's style first-hand. It might not be for everyone, but it definitely worked at that time. It sounds to me like the kids may be getting a bit softer and want to be coddled instead of coached. Maybe they need to worry more about making themselves better and less about their coach being mean to them. I was far from a star (hence my handle), but on the whole, I was treated fairly by Coach Hogan. I also know he would do anything for me at the drop of a hat. It is sad to get on here and read the ramblings of a few disgruntled players/parents/fans and whoever else that is upset because he's "not nice" to his players. If you have issues with his tactics, talk to him personally about them, and I'm sure he'd be willing to discuss things with you. But at least have some balls and don't bash someone while hiding behind a computer.

Adam Sherry

-- Posted by notgood on Thu, Jul 12, 2012, at 12:19 PM
  • Thank you! Someone gets it!

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, Jul 12, 2012, at 2:51 PM

Formerplayer1, to answer your question about did I go to Semo expecting to win championships? The answer is absolutely yes. They just won the OVC my senior year of High School in 1998 and that was a huge part in choosing them. I had opportunites to place elsewhere and I chose Southeast because I had full confidence in where the program was heading. Like I said, there were times all my teammates and I didn't agree with how some things were done, but that is going to happen everywhere, our nucleus stuck together and developed great relationships with each other and Coach Hogan. You may say that winning helps develop good relationships, and you are right, but I promise you this, I can't think of one player on the 5 teams I was around that would blame Hogan for their downfall or the team's, but like I said that's probably why we were succesfull, we only pointed the finger at ourselves.

Denver Stuckey

1999-2003

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Jul 12, 2012, at 5:57 PM
  • When you are apart of a team, guys always have impersonations of the head coach, assistant coaches, and as was the case on our team because of Ryan Cheo, anyone with a pulse was fair game too. Coach beat us up with words like integrity, accountability, and for some reason, bragadocio. To this day, anytime the players get together the impersonations come out in full force with probably the most common being "Hey! Have some integrity!"

Stuck said it right, the reason we were successful is because we took the blame when we lost and when we won, we won as a team. This is the definition of being accountable and having integrity.

I echo the comments made by Adam as well. I know beyond a shadow of doubt that if I was in a pinch that Coach would get me out and ask questions later.

I wonder if it's coincidence that the guys coming forward are from the best team in school history? Maybe we just have more integrity...

Mark Frazier

-- Posted by leaky_pen on Thu, Jul 12, 2012, at 11:05 PM
  • I want to personally thank SEMO Baseball for making Shae part of the team. All in all it has been a great experience for him and us. We have made good friends. Relationships that will always be important and that wouldn't have happened without baseball.

We all have expectation of how other's should act or respond. I don't always meet people's expectations and I accept they won't always meet mine. I've learned to be thankful for the opportunities that come your way and for the all the people that make this happen. God puts them there for a reason.

Going to miss being part of it next season!

Thank you SEMO Baseball Program and Coaches!

Susan

-- Posted by SCRamFan on Fri, Jul 13, 2012, at 11:12 AM
  • Question: if Hogan is a good coach, then why is Smith such a better pitcher this summer than in the spring. Why does he walk two or three a game in the summer vs two or three and inning in the spring.

andy fan

-- Posted by baseball guru on Sun, Jul 15, 2012, at 8:05 PM

Andy Fan/ Baseball Guru. I'm going to take a wild guess and say level of competition just like others have tried telling you. One of my best friends absolutely tore it up for the Capahas one summer and had zero chance of playing for us at Semo in the following year or previous year. You play a summer team there is no scouting report, you play another D1 college team they know everything about you before you get to the field. So put things in prespective please.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Sun, Jul 15, 2012, at 10:20 PM
  • HEY 6+4+3=2

Good theory..I guess that means you always were top hitter on the Capahas and made no errors

BUT how do you explain guys who hit better in the summer with wood than they did at SEMO

You should put things in perspective..get a grip

this all started about issues that are taking place surrounding a college program .nice try to change the subject

-- Posted by petpeeves on Mon, Jul 16, 2012, at 11:49 AM
  • Well, just a couple things. To a certain extent I can agree with 6+4+3=2, where the competition the Capahas play is not as good as what Zach Smith would see in the OVC. However, I have also seen kids pitch better in the in the Prospect and Jayhawk summer collegiate leagues where the competition is better than the OVC. Why...well you could say wood bat...but...that would not account for pitch location improving. I have to say again that Hogan does not manage his pitching staff very well and makes a lot of "knee jerk" decisions with his staff. You gotta throw strikes, but, you can get people out just by locating and not necessarily hitting the strike zone. Pitchers have a tough time with Hogan because of his lack of coaching ability/handling of the staff.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Mon, Jul 16, 2012, at 12:28 PM
  • Petpeeves, welcome to the forum. Or should I say, after a new email/user name, welcome back.

Denver answered a direct question from another poster regarding a player performing better in the summer than during the school year. This topic has been touched on several times during this thread so I don't think anyone, especially Stuck, was trying to change the subject that started 6 weeks ago and has over 115 posts.

I'll add to what Stuckey suggested as possibilities and say that there are a number of variables that contribute to increased summer ball success. I'd say level of competition is the number one reason. The umps in the summer leagues are not as experienced and typically have larger strike zones. I know that if I were behind the plate in full gear in 100+ degrees that if a ball was anywhere close to the plate it'd be a strike. Maybe his arm reacts better to increased temps/he is more loose. Wood bats. And maybe, just maybe Coach Hogan style doesn't work with Zach*. There are so many factors that could go either way, it's hard to say.

Back to topic, I can't believe how quiet this forum got after we posted our names. To the guys who were smack-talking Coach, look in the mirror tonight and you'll see why the program isn't what it used to be.

*I don't know Zach Smith, I was simply giving general suggestions as to why someone's performance could be different from school to summer.

-- Posted by leaky_pen on Mon, Jul 16, 2012, at 1:17 PM
  • leaky_pen; this has nothing to do with looking into the mirror. It has been ten years since winning the OVC, a couple years ago they got close for regular season title. People change and Hogan has too. Need to find another head coach. Let go of the past and look at improving the future.

-- Posted by louisville1 on Mon, Jul 16, 2012, at 1:27 PM

I can tell you this pet peeve, I was about a .315 career hitter in 4 years at Semo and about .400+ for Capahas and I am no where close to a .400 hitter against great competition. Hit about .270 in professional ball. Look I'm done arguing about this on here. You want to discuss it more, I'm easy to get ahold of.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Jul 16, 2012, at 1:37 PM
  • I am not talking about the competition level, but the strike zone. The strike zone is the same in the spring as in the summer. The summer tem. is a weak excuse for poor coaching. Maybe Smith likes Bolen better and plays better because of it. I could name more players that did a lot better in the summer. Lets try to be gentlemen about this thread. If someone disagrees with me, I do not care-- just putting my thoughts on the subject out there. It is a free country still, I hope.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Mon, Jul 16, 2012, at 8:16 PM
  • this forum started asking a question about a coach returning and somehow it ended up about 6+4+3=2 and what a great hitter he was. And the competition you are talking about..you better check the record of some of the teams SEMO played

-- Posted by petpeeves on Wed, Jul 18, 2012, at 3:06 PM
  • Im curious petpeeves. Do you equate the capahas and their competion with semo and the competion they play?

And I would also be curious to know if you have played at semo or at another div 1 school. Again, just curious.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Wed, Jul 18, 2012, at 8:23 PM
  • For you answer ladybug, please refer to formerplayer1's previous posts. Dude changed his username when his posts lost all merit because he didn't post his name. Had no choice.

-- Posted by leaky_pen on Wed, Jul 18, 2012, at 10:06 PM
  • Stuckey played "pro ball"? And now you're reduced to arguing about baseball on local news paper internet forum? Man, must be tough.

-- Posted by ToastedCheesesus on Thu, Jul 19, 2012, at 4:22 PM

I'm not arguing anything other than the harsh criticism of Coach Hogan. By no means am I trying to toot my own horn, just using my experiences as examples. Forgive me for having the courage to throw my name out there and show support for my coach I had in college. And I would love to discuss the schedule we played. Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Wichita State, Southwest Missouri, SIU, SLU, Evansville, South Alabama, Kansas State, Memphis and Iowa State just to name some of our non conference opponents. Did we play some weaker teams? Absolutely, but we had far and away the toughest non conference schedule in the OVC back then. And you can make fun of me all you want for playing in the Frontier League, but once again I had a blast playing for the Evansville Otters for 3 seasons and getting paid, albeit very little, was just a bonus. So if blasting me and Coach Hogan or whoever makes you feel better, go ahead, but I am going to defend the people that helped me out in my life.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Jul 19, 2012, at 6:26 PM
  • I am glad that your time with Hogan was a good one and there is nothing wrong with playing in the frontier league, but can not you agree that after 10 years without a trip to the regionals; it is time for a change. Austin Peay has made two trips to the regionals in the last two years and this year got second. A game or two from the super. Why can not we have that at semo?

back on the subject

-- Posted by baseball guru on Thu, Jul 19, 2012, at 7:43 PM
  • Wow...toastedcheesius...Do you think playing baseball is easy at the div 1 level? Would you criticize other semo players for making it to the frontier league? You had someone unzip his fly by posting his name (Something Im guessing you wouldnt do), and once again you and your cronies are going to bash? You are right back to bashing people who don't agree with your point. You are back to driving people to the opposite view. Unbelievable...

Toasedcheesius...Did YUO play professional baseball at any level? My guess is no, yet you are going to try to diminish the accomishments of another person just to try to degrade their point? Again...unreal. I am really fired up now.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Thu, Jul 19, 2012, at 9:24 PM

Guru, I am with you that I would like to see an Austin Peay type recent run with Semo. But I am not familiar enough with the Austin Peay program to tell you what they do better than Semo. They may have a bigger budget, they may have better coaching, they may have better players, or perhaps a combination of the 3. Or they just may have executed better at crunch time. The best teams don't always advance in baseball, especially in single or double elimination tournaments. And I will even say this if replacing Coach Hogan turns out to help the program I wouldn't be against that. But like I've said before, I am willing to defend Coach, for what he has done for me and others I know and played with. Let's just agree on 1 thing, lets win the OVC next year and maybe we can make a semoball road trip to the regional site and have some fun!

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Fri, Jul 20, 2012, at 8:48 AM
  • I never played pro ball, nor college ball, nor have I been arguing on this thread about Hogan, nor have I bashed someone for disagreeing with my point because I don't think I have made one yet. Looks like your firing yourself up there LadyBug, way to be self-motivated!

-- Posted by ToastedCheesesus on Fri, Jul 20, 2012, at 11:54 AM
  • You are right, toasted. Sorry. I guess I misunderstood your comment, I must have read it differently. My apologies.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sat, Jul 21, 2012, at 9:52 PM
  • As a former player I am happy to see him go. After my senior year I was interiewed and was asked multiple questions about the mans integrity and work ethic. He was nothing but negative to every player on the team and threatened to take away scholarships after every loss. Thats no way to coach!

-- Posted by formerplayer2 on Mon, Jul 30, 2012, at 10:48 AM
  • Congrats to coach Bieser he will bring a breath of fresh air to that program

-- Posted by Dragon & Warrior Fan on Mon, Jul 30, 2012, at 12:27 PM
  • yeah!!!!! On to the regionals and beyond. I want to be an assistant for Steve. how do I APPLY.

Did Hogan leave on his own like he said he would.

All the best to Hogan in the future.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Tue, Jul 31, 2012, at 12:26 AM
  • Congrats to Steve. He will take SEMO to a CWS in the next 5 years if given the opportunity, I assure you. Get behind him and help the program continue the success that Mark Hogan established.

-- Posted by semopride on Tue, Jul 31, 2012, at 8:37 AM
  • First off, Congrats to Coach Bieser. He has a lot of connections in St. Louis from coaching there and should get some good recruits from that area, as well as in the Bootheel.

Secondly, The Capahas competition is nearly impossible to compare to a D-1 schedule. I played against the Capahas, and even in the same league as them and its nothing to brag about. The fact that they have been to the NBC World Series in 1,000 straight years is because they don't play anyone in regionals. I'm sorry to downplay them, but when you beat the St. Louis Printers in the Championship every year, it can't be anything to be pumped about. Their first baseman is literally 45 years old, at least 4 of their players never even played college ball, and of the players who DID play in college, only 2 EVER played D-1. Trust me, I played those guys all the time in the Mon-Clair League.

Sure, its cool that they have been to the NBC World Series in consecutive years for the past 30-35 years, but you can't say that a SEMO player is performing well because he plays for the Capahas.

Perryville was supposed to play them in the Regional, and they dropped their team for it. So it went down to Arkansas-Pine Bluff, the Caps, and the Printers.

Back to the Redhawks, its a shame that Coach Caf left now that Hogan is gone. He was a good coach who worked his butt off to keep the team running dring practice and on the road. I don't see any of the players transferring out now that Bieser is the head coach, because I do think they are in a better situation than last year. You can't fault the struggles this past season though, they lost 18 seniors, basically every starter and pitching staff. Look for them to bounce back next season after a strong showing in the OVC tourney.

-- Posted by speed_never_slumps on Tue, Aug 7, 2012, at 7:58 AM
  • This is a disgusting bunch of crap. Hogan is a good man and did the best he could with the talent he had and the finances the administration gave him. He is under financed and went out on his own and raised money from supporting locals that sat on the the hill in the cold, rain, etc. Give me a break that these disgruntled ex ball players weren't good enough to make a career in baseball so they bash Hogan. They were lucky to be able to play D1. Hogan traveled with these boys in a very nice bus with WIFI, stayed in very nice lodging and made sure they were fed properly and now they are complaining. Should have played when I did. Whine, Whine, Whine. These people are upset that their career are over. They played at Semo and now they are not happy that they aren't in the BIGS. They didn't have a chance if they played at SEMO or Three Rivers JC. They are average and in the real world they are average and all they can do is blame Hogan. Give Me A Break. Now I look at this situation and now I see why he had the winning and losing percentage he did. He had children on his team with average character. I respect my past coaches for what the time they gave me and the effort they made to make me a better man. It is obvious that Hogan didn't succeed in making the ex player better men. I also have learned that parents who blame the coach for their sons average careers are the blame for their sons attitudes in life. Now that the son has to quit playing baseball and get a real job, they now see that he maybe is not equipped to continue is life after baseball as well as they thought. So now lets trash Hogan for your failure to deal with life after playing a game.

-- Posted by oldschool77 on Wed, Aug 8, 2012, at 8:20 PM
  • This is a disgusting bunch of crap. Hogan is a good man and did the best he could with the talent he had and the finances the administration gave him. He is under financed and went out on his own and raised money from supporting locals that sat on the the hill in the cold, rain, etc. Give me a break that these disgruntled ex ball players weren't good enough to make a career in baseball so they bash Hogan. They were lucky to be able to play D1. Hogan traveled with these boys in a very nice bus with WIFI, stayed in very nice lodging and made sure they were fed properly and now they are complaining. Should have played when I did. Whine, Whine, Whine. These people are upset that their career are over. They played at Semo and now they are not happy that they aren't in the BIGS. They didn't have a chance if they played at SEMO or Three Rivers JC. They are average and in the real world they are average and all they can do is blame Hogan. Give Me A Break. Now I look at this situation and now I see why he had the winning and losing percentage he did. He had children on his team with average character. I respect my past coaches for what the time they gave me and the effort they made to make me a better man. It is obvious that Hogan didn't succeed in making the ex player better men. I also have learned that parents who blame the coach for their sons average careers are the blame for their sons attitudes in life. Now that the son has to quit playing baseball and get a real job, they now see that he maybe is not equipped to continue is life after baseball as well as they thought. So now lets trash Hogan for your failure to deal with life after playing a game.

-- Posted by oldschool77 on Wed, Aug 8, 2012, at 8:23 PM
  • The Capahas have not had a regional tournament in years. They pay to play at the NBC World Series, and as far as I know always have. It is a pay to play tournament. It is an elite tournament with some of the best college players in the country. The Capahas have done well in the past, in the tournament, but not recently.

They are made up of almost all D1 players, until this year. Some are former D1 players. Some are current players and they get 4 semo current players every year and any seniors that want to play. Last year the Capahas had 9 semo players. These guys should have won the ovc tournament if it was not for poor coaching by Hogan. This was a down year for the Caps with a lot of jr college players.

I have never seen any player over the age of 30, and the first basemen is 25 and from a D1 school. I know of only 2 players, in the last 6 years, that had no college experience that played for the Caps.

As for Hogan, the truth hurts and I beat money he was forced out. Why, because almost always you announce your retirement for sometime in the future.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Wed, Aug 8, 2012, at 9:09 PM
  • Guru...you have absolutely no clue. And oldschool..I agree with most of your post but I just think it's a shame that a few people who make stupid comments on a message board make the rest of their teammates look bad. I bet you have less respect for all SEMO baseball players now and that's a shame.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Wed, Aug 8, 2012, at 9:24 PM
  • in summer baseball in all leagues and tournaments there are fees that are paid to play in tournaments no matter if it is in the the AABC, NABF, or the NBC World Series... all upper level baseball that is not funded by major league baseball has fees to play in tournaments..

-- Posted by stlthoughts2 on Thu, Aug 9, 2012, at 1:43 PM
  • The Printers had the old guy and inexperienced players. Yes the Capahas had all those D-1 players, which is why they beat the crap out of every other team.

-- Posted by speed_never_slumps on Thu, Aug 9, 2012, at 10:35 PM
  • speed_never_slumps:

I happened to be one of the people who have followed the Capahas for years and although I am not able to see all the games becuase of being out of state I happen to know just because they happen to play a few weaker teams now, in the past there were many power house teams. And what exactly were you saying about the regional tournament and Perryville. I suggest you ask the Capaha coach these questions. You can listen to him on the radio and either write in or call. Get ALL the facts correct before you speak..when you write things that are wrong, people who have been around for years know the real facts

-- Posted by stlthoughts2 on Fri, Aug 10, 2012, at 9:11 AM
  • I know the facts, I have played against them for years. Yes they are good, but they also play a lot of weak teams. The Printers aren't very good, the Printers tournament in Florida isn't very good and the Regional isn't very competitive for the Capahas. The Mon-Clair League is decent, but can't compare to the Caps experienced, D-1 players and former D-1 players. The World Series is very competitive, and yes, they do well. Let's just not get carried away by saying Zach Smith is a great pitcher because he plays for the Caps.

-- Posted by speed_never_slumps on Sat, Aug 11, 2012, at 1:38 PM
  • I agree with you on the most part "speed." However. the Caps do not have a regional tournament anymore. Zack Smith is not Shae Simmons. I just said he plays better for Bolen than Hogan.

-- Posted by baseball guru on Sun, Aug 12, 2012, at 7:22 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: