Fire the womens basketball coach

Posted by love the game on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 8:45 PM:

I went to the show me center today to watch one of our new recruits for next year. We now have 7 guards and only two will be seniors next year. Mr Ishee just signed two more guards for next year and both are shorter than most of the others. Now I saw one play tonight and I'm trying to figure out after watching her play why does he still have a job. If I'm the A.D. I'd be saying to myself what am I waiting to fire him. If he is having any doubt into whether are not he should fire coach Ishee think about all the players from the past and even the ones from present that he's made their life upset. Mr. A.D. Please read this and know I would never wish someone to lose there job,but it's time for a change. They need a post player not another guard.

Replies

• The womens coach has more class than any other at this university!!! He deserves to stay!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Tue, Feb 1, 2011, at 9:51 AM
  • RedShirt- you obviously don't have a clue when it comes to Coach Ishee. He has absolutely NO class! If you knew anything about the women's basketball program, you would know that he has single handedly ruined basketball for many of his players-current players and MANY former players. He is incapable of coaching with any positive reinforcement, instead he uses the mighty technique of CHEWING THE PLAYERS OUT FOR PREVIOUS GAMES right before they take the court to play a game. How can anyone expect those girls to go out and be productive on the court after enduring his abusive behavior. The AD defintely needs to pull the plug on him. It's rediculous that it has gone on this long. And as for his signing more guards...come on- how can anyone expect to win without big post players???

-- Posted by oldtimer14 on Tue, Feb 1, 2011, at 6:33 PM
  • RedShirt,

I cannot believe you just made that statement. I hope you were being sarcastic, because if not anything else you have to say, ever, will not be reliable.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Tue, Feb 1, 2011, at 7:41 PM
  • wasn't there a female assisstant coach under BJ smith and stayed on a few more years that was expected to take over but then left because of Ishee

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Feb 1, 2011, at 8:41 PM
  • I don't know a lot about the game,but I do know whomever wrote Ishee should stay must be related. He doesn't have bad players he is just not a good coach. And for the record if you go to the games occasionally you will see his ***. Coaches don't even talk to all the players. They all need to go. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by love the game on Thu, Feb 3, 2011, at 2:49 PM
  • Ishee rode bj smiths players til they were gone and then the team became the worst in the ovc. I saw the one guard we signed from a local school and not sure she could play d2 let alone d 1. I know the redshirt from bismark is supposed to be really good and the funny thing is she played for smith in the summer since her sophomore year. Ishee has proved he is not very good as a head coach, he was less than average as a head coach before semo and got fired from that school too.

-- Posted by formerredhawk on Thu, Feb 3, 2011, at 5:21 PM
  • Don't want BJ back. Don't believe Ishee will be back. The girls on the team obviously don't enjoy playing the game for Ishee. I can't believe how the inside players walk up and down the court. I would be embarrassed to play on a team with the lack of enthusiasm the Redhawks show. This is the fault of the coach!! He's got to go!!

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Sun, Feb 13, 2011, at 9:41 AM
  • It's always the coach's fault. Lack of ability-- coach's fault. Lack of effort-- coach's fault. Lack of height-- coach's fault. It's never the players' fault for anything.

-- Posted by redhawkstudent on Sun, Feb 13, 2011, at 8:46 PM
  • A coach at the college level has to be able to recruit, motivate, and teach the game at the next level. Not sure if Ish is doing it right now.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 9:27 AM
  • except...Ishee is about to win more games than last year and make the ovc postseason tournament...and didnt last year...and do it with basically a bunch of sophomores, injuries, and his top recruit not playing one minute this season...seems like progress to me...he needs to stay :)

-- Posted by RedShirt on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 12:25 PM
  • OK, are we really a division 1 program who scored 34 points in a game against one of the worst teams in America, really? I dont know whats worse, our coach or the people not willing to end our misery.

-- Posted by formerredhawk on Fri, Feb 18, 2011, at 1:20 AM

Ok, I unlike most of you actually know John Ishee. I know the job that he puts in and it is next to none and they are decimated by injuries. His teams looks like an all out mash unit. Are they having a tough run, yes, but I think he deserves at least more more year to see if he can win with his 3 best players being hurt. Don't run the guy out of town and BJ cheated to get his players and John has been dealing with getting that whole situation turned around so look at the bigger picture before you run him out of Cape!

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sun, Feb 20, 2011, at 9:44 AM
  • Bj smith just won the national coach of the year award with a team that he didn't recruit, and only 2 sophomores. How did he cheat to get his players at semo?

-- Posted by I know who on Tue, Apr 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM

From an article in the Southeast Missourian (http://www.semissourian.com/story/1295637.html): "That report outlined the areas of violations, including improper transportation of prospective student-athletes from airports and on official visits, prospects receiving summer lodging without paying rent or paying an inappropriate amount, and members of the women's basketball staff observing summer workouts of prospective and enrolled student-athletes. The report was not specific about the number of incidents that took place."

"The letter stated that the violations were serious and intentional, noting that Smith observed athletically related activities impermissibly after being instructed not to do so. The letter cited the direct involvement of Smith and the "large number of violations." In addition, the letter said the further penalty was applicable because it involved "ineligible competition in a case where there was also a finding of a lack of institutional control."

It wasn't what BJ did to get players to SEMO, it's what he did while they were here that got him in trouble and ultimately, fired.

-- Posted by whistleone on Tue, Apr 3, 2012, at 1:31 PM
  • His players were working and teaching kids at a basketball camp, that's hardly watching them practice. The compliance officer was fired, Coach Smith resigned, and you should read the court documents for an accurate record. The writer for the paper was, and still is too scared to write the truth. The AD was eventually fired as well. Read the court docs for the truth, its public record, and people were under oath, which a newspaper writer is not. players living in an apt for 2 weeks before they were enrolled and not paying thier roomates enough rent is a big advantage over other schools, yeah right! That's one of the reasons the ncaa is re amping the rulebook.

-- Posted by I know who on Wed, Apr 4, 2012, at 10:01 PM
  • The compliance officer was not fired, nor would have been. Smith's problem was not in committing major violations, it was always and knowingly committing violations without regard to authority or rules. My goodness, and NCAA Tourney banner has been removed because of him. He goes back to the JUCO level where rules are minimal, and he's back on top.

-- Posted by whitey11 on Thu, Apr 5, 2012, at 9:13 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: