BJ Smith vs. Scott Edgar

Posted by RedShirt on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 1:33 PM:

I had a argument with a friend the other day about who was more corrupt....what are your thoughts?? Who hurt SEMO more??

Replies

• BJ was brought down by Dobbins in a period of prosperity for womens basketball. Since his last recruiting class left the program has been declining. The whole thing about having someone else teaching his class for him is so minute it shouldn't have been brought up. I'm sure if you look at universities across the country there are plenty that have coaches doing the same thing. He was also a very good people person unlike Edgar who acted as though he was above everyone.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 2:35 PM
  • BJ is still a personable person and he is still teaching young men and women the game of basketball. He should have never been let go. But just like everything else....Politics is politics and sometimes the people in charge don't always do what is right for the long run.

-- Posted by Interests Me on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 6:39 PM
  • You can tell he was, and still is, a great coach by looking at the around 8 teams he is coaching right now. His wolfpack franchise is one of the most successful travel basketball organizations I have seen for both his men's and women's teams.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 9:05 PM
  • I agree. Who cares what they did. I cant vouche for Edgar but BJ Smith is the greatest coach I've ever played for. I played for wolfpack for 2 years and trained with BJ for 2 and a half/3 years and if not for him idk if I'd be able to dribble a basketball. He's forgotten more about basketball than any of the other coaches I've playe for will ever know. He takes kids who have absolutely no talent and make them very good players and he good players and makes them great players. Me and him had a disagreement and I don't play for him anymore but if I could I'd take that back bc I now realize just how good of a coach he is

-- Posted by Fast Don't Lie on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 9:08 PM
  • I think i trained with him since his first year not coaching at semo then played on his wolfpack teams for 3 years. Sadly I didn't play this past spring and summer and now have given up on the sport all together to focus on other things. When i started with him i barely played on my grade school team and my last year I was playing as a 6th man in high school after starting earlier before a new gaurd showed up. I went to a few semo campswhen Edgar was coaching but he wasn't a very approachable person so I never said anything to him.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 9:16 PM
  • BJ definitely knows the game. I think he was actually better suited to coach college age kids. Too bad it all went down the way it did.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Feb 1, 2011, at 4:09 PM
  • Anybody that ever went to practices when smith was at semo would know he could really coach and he built teams that were fun to watch. Those kids worked harder than any other team I had personally watched, I was a practice player for a period of time and I had so much respect for how hard those girls worked. He got the most out of them and they respected him and themselves. They took pride in being a womens basketball player at semo and they made it mean something. Its a shame hes still not there.

-- Posted by formerredhawk on Thu, Feb 3, 2011, at 5:09 PM
  • It's nice to praise BJ and there is no doubt he can coach and train players. But he had no regard for NCAA rules and an NCAA banner has been removed at SEMO. That stuff doesn't just happen over circumstantial violations and the girls he cared so much about are the victims.

-- Posted by whitey11 on Fri, Feb 4, 2011, at 10:24 PM
  • whitey, smith was never reprimanded by the ncaa! He went in front of them and they never gave him any penalties, the institution was reprimanded but unlike most investigations where the head coach gets penalized he was not penalized in any way shape or form. I never saw a coach care more for their players or assistant coaches than he did and that should count for something. In and age where head coaches blame assistants and throw them under the bus to avoid penalties he should be given credit for not running and hiding,he could have blamed somebody else but to this day I have never heard him blame anybody.

-- Posted by formerredhawk on Sat, Feb 5, 2011, at 2:04 AM
  • edgar was a clown. it was nothing but a circus.

-- Posted by PO526 on Sat, Feb 5, 2011, at 9:21 AM
  • Formerredhawk, an NCAA banner was stripped from the Show Me Center due to Smith[s violations and "lackof institutional control" over his violations. I don't know what it takes to get a reprimand from the NCAA, but he's basically done as a coach at that level.

I hear he does a good job with his current program, and there's no question he wouldn't be good and coaching and training basketball players. But at the NCAA level, he had no regard for rules. At the juco level where he had his best success, the rules aren't near as strict. As far as him treating his assistants well, I know of a certain blond that he treated extremely well. lol

-- Posted by whitey11 on Sat, Feb 5, 2011, at 4:29 PM
  • when BJ was coaching his teams were fun to watch and they won unlike the current coach. I have been to 2 games since BJ left and have no intentions of watching another SEMO game. It is no fun to watch college teams score 50-60 points and lose. Maybe SEMO should look at hiring a new coach that can bring in some good players.

-- Posted by runner50 on Sat, Feb 5, 2011, at 4:45 PM
  • SEMO definitely needs to hire a new coach. Its a shame the Athletic department has let Ishee's antics go on as long as they have. Those kids on that team have plenty of good tallent, but when someone is constantly insulting you and abusing you psychologically , it would be hard to go out there and play with confidence. You can have all the tallent in the world, but if you don't have a coach with some sense..you can forget it. It's obvious the Athletic department doesn't care about the womens program.

-- Posted by oldtimer14 on Sat, Feb 5, 2011, at 6:49 PM
  • Oldtimer it's the talent and the coach, not just the coach.

-- Posted by Cap_Anson on Sat, Feb 12, 2011, at 6:00 PM
  • Talent wont come play for a bad coach and its the coaches problem if he can't recruit players.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Feb 12, 2011, at 8:53 PM
  • I understand its both, talent and coaching. But there is some good talent on that team...he just can't coach. In addition...if you have players who obvious give up, try a different combination of players...

-- Posted by oldtimer14 on Sun, Feb 13, 2011, at 5:43 PM
  • Coach Smith just won the national juco coach off the year... Write!

-- Posted by I know who on Wed, Apr 4, 2012, at 8:46 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: