Semoball

Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: Steve Bieser

Posted by uptobat on Mon, Jun 13, 2016, at 11:01 AM:

I was on Rock M Nation, a Mizzou sports blog, and one of their writers thinks that Steve Bieser is one of two "obvious candidates" to fill the head coaching vacancy left by Tim Jamieson resigning from the Mizzou baseball team. It didn't say anything more about it

Replies (65)

• Would be a big loss for SEMO.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Mon, Jun 13, 2016, at 1:56 PM
  • Bieser or Tim Vitello

-- Posted by RiceHarper on Mon, Jun 13, 2016, at 2:45 PM
  • Anybody have thoughts on whether they think he'd leave or not? I think Jamieson made a little over $208,000 at Mizzou

-- Posted by uptobat on Mon, Jun 13, 2016, at 3:03 PM
  • Where ever Bieser goes he will produce a winner.Good coach and even better person

-- Posted by hb1025 on Mon, Jun 13, 2016, at 5:25 PM
  • Sometimes I sense that Bieser wants to build a program up to like a Coastal Carolina who is a great team every year and made the CWS for the first time this year. I hope that is true and he stays here for his career and build a great program that will one day go to a Super Regional and the CWS

-- Posted by arich35 on Mon, Jun 13, 2016, at 10:04 PM
  • uptobat. Great question! I think he has the ability to move on to a bigger school! Will his local ties keep him here?

With his former pro experience moving up at this point could lead to even bigger opportunities down the road. Great Coach!! Wish him the best!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Jun 14, 2016, at 10:36 PM
  • If Mizzou wants him it would be hard to not go. SEMO is probably just a stepping stone for coach Bieser. Guy can coach and people will come lookin

-- Posted by Coachken on Tue, Jun 14, 2016, at 10:52 PM
  • Sunday's STL Post named Vitello and Bieser as potential candidates. Vitello is currently an assistant at TCU (?)and has STL and Mizzou ties, though no DI head coach experience. So doubtful UM will take a chance on him. Agree that if Mizzou wants Bieser, it would be hard to say no. Though good article in yesterday's STL Post about state of baseball at Mizzou - SEC is so tough, so much talent in sunshine states and top players want to play in warm weather states, lack of baseball facilities and funding at Mizzou. Tough job for whoever gets it, but it wouldn't surprise me if Bieser gets it with his resume, connections, and coaching reputation. Would be good move for both Mizzou and Bieser!!!

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Jun 15, 2016, at 8:44 AM
  • Vitello is a current assistant at Arkansas I believe, but left his assistant position at Mizzou for TCU when he initially left. I'm sure Bieser would do very well at Mizzou and take Mizzou up a couple notches like he did with SEMO. I guess SEMO going up to Columbia and beating Mizzou a couple times the past couple seasons put Bieser on their radar. I wonder if they have reached out to him yet or not

-- Posted by uptobat on Wed, Jun 15, 2016, at 9:30 AM
  • No need to worry. doesn't look like Bieser will get the job. Mizzou looks to be focusing on the pitching coach from Oklahoma State

-- Posted by steelers on Tue, Jun 28, 2016, at 3:32 PM
  • Not any more he is staying at OSU

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Jun 29, 2016, at 8:56 AM
  • saw that. bet they shift toward Vitello

-- Posted by steelers on Wed, Jun 29, 2016, at 9:39 AM
  • Bieser going to Mizzou

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 3:58 PM
  • Congrats Coach Bieser

-- Posted by hb1025 on Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 5:01 PM
  • Good call uptobat!

Great to see Coach Bieser get this chance!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 5:16 PM
  • AWESOME

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 6:51 PM
  • Go Mizzou!!! Good luck Coach

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 9:33 PM
  • Bieser will do well at Mizzou.

Now what does SEMO do? Is it possible to find someone who can eventually be as good as Bieser or is this program going to go downhill like the others at SEMO?

-- Posted by arich35 on Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 10:49 PM
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Lance Rhodes gets a shot. I could be wrong though, there are people who know far more than I do about the coaching staff

-- Posted by uptobat on Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 10:54 PM
  • Going downhill because Semo won't pay

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 11:15 PM
  • I would be surprised if Rhodes didn't go with Bieser, I am sure he would make more money as the pitching coach there then here as the head coach. But if he is someone who would like to be a head coach one day it would be a great opportunity.

Not sure how much Dilion Lawson is making as a hitting coach in the Astros minor league system but he would be my top choice

-- Posted by arich35 on Fri, Jul 1, 2016, at 12:05 AM
  • Crackerjack an Arich you are absolutely correct. Will go downhill. Look at how they did the AD job, would not pay for quality proven AD who could be fundraiser. Great for Bieser but SEMO all downhill just like the other programs with exception of Track

-- Posted by redboy on Mon, Jul 4, 2016, at 9:36 AM
  • Kyle Crookes

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Jul 6, 2016, at 1:37 PM
  • Personally I believe the Mens and Womens basketball coaches are wanting to take same path as Coach Bieser has. So I think both are moving in right direction of having coaches who want to move on to bigger programs.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Wed, Jul 6, 2016, at 1:41 PM
  • Bobby, let's not go after a DII Coach who has only been a head coach for 2 years.

Rhodes is the obvious choice IMO after that I have no idea

-- Posted by arich35 on Wed, Jul 6, 2016, at 11:34 PM
  • New Coached to be announced this week.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Mon, Jul 11, 2016, at 4:52 PM
  • It is not Lance Rhodes. He's headed to Columbia.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Mon, Jul 11, 2016, at 6:24 PM
  • They might keep hitting coach because he knows the pitch recognition thing that everyone is talking about.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Mon, Jul 11, 2016, at 6:26 PM
  • Rhodes is also Head Recruiter and has been since Hogan. Can't imagine that with the success in talent to SEMO in these past years, that following Beiser to Mizzou is his only option.

-- Posted by LuckyU on Mon, Jul 11, 2016, at 10:17 PM
  • Rhodes is headed to Mizzou. Also hear that Lawson is going also.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Mon, Jul 11, 2016, at 11:38 PM
  • Boby kite- im late but men's basketball coach did already have an sec job and havent seen or heard a good thing about him....actually, alnutt said good things about him days before he left so that makes one. Women's coach seems to be a slam dunk!

Bieser leaving sucks because I have no faith in new ad to hire a good coach at this point in the year and a good asst.

ad is new and only time will tell but I think the other two candidate were much better and any other school would've picked someone other than barke. Was he just that much cheaper?

-- Posted by hawkeye1985 on Tue, Jul 12, 2016, at 4:24 PM
  • Kendall Rogers of D1Baseball mentioned to look out for Marc Rardin for the SEMO job.

Pretty **** good credentials:

http://goreivers.com/sports/coaches.asp?sport=baseball

JUCO is actually really competitive and I could see him doing well in the OVC

-- Posted by arich35 on Tue, Jul 12, 2016, at 10:06 PM
  • Rardin also being considered for U of Nebraska-Omaha.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Wed, Jul 13, 2016, at 10:55 AM
  • Hope they invest in keeping the program on top. Semo has verbal from good player that wanted to play for Beiser and Rhodes - this stinks.

-- Posted by Hankerton on Fri, Jul 15, 2016, at 12:30 PM
  • Lol nobody including the players there wanted to play for Rhodes. He may have been the most hated coach on staff. Do your research or talk to players before you pretend to be in the know

-- Posted by factchecker2016 on Fri, Jul 15, 2016, at 6:34 PM
  • Rardin has withdrawn from consideration for SEMO Baseball job.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Fri, Jul 15, 2016, at 7:30 PM
  • Lol nobody including the players there wanted to play for Rhodes. He may have been the most hated coach on staff. Do your research or talk to players before you pretend to be in the know

-- Posted by factchecker2016 on Fri, Jul 15, 2016, at 6:34 PM

Even if what you say is true, which I highly doubt,do you think the AD asked the players who they wanted?

My guess is that the guys that hated him were the ones that weren't playing.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Fri, Jul 15, 2016, at 7:36 PM
  • Agee Big Red Hawk. All I know is he was excited to play for these guys, maybe Rhodes put on a Recruiting face but he stood out 3yrs ago during recruiting. Factchecker, do you really have inside info or just bitter?

-- Posted by Hankerton on Sat, Jul 16, 2016, at 9:18 AM
  • anybody hear anymore names for the SEMO jobs?

-- Posted by uptobat on Sat, Jul 16, 2016, at 4:03 PM
  • Has last season's hitting coach, Borshulte, taken a new job?

Anyone hear?

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Sat, Jul 16, 2016, at 8:53 PM

Rhodes is a good recruiter which is why he got the recruiting job in Columbia. As far as a pitching coach he was not very good. I've heard from several players that nobody liked him as a pitching coach. The only reason he was offered the Alabama job was because of Lucchesi.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Sun, Jul 17, 2016, at 10:52 AM

Also I heard the hitting coach was possibly going up to Columbia as well. I think Bieser is taking the entire staff from Semo plus the pitching coach from Rice.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Sun, Jul 17, 2016, at 10:54 AM
  • The 2015 hitting coach, Lawson, is going to Mizzou as the volunteer hitting coach. He was recently a minor-league coach.

I'm asking about the 2016 hitting coach, who I hear was well-liked by the players?

http://www.semissourian.com/story/2304096.html

He certainly does not have the experience to be a head coach, but was part of the whole technology thing that led to the hitting surge the past 2 years.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Sun, Jul 17, 2016, at 12:20 PM
  • From that article you posted, most of that technology legwork was done by Lawson and kept up on by Bieser. This year's hitting coach was well liked, but with only 1 year as a full time coach not sure he would be considered. This years hitting coach obviously did a good job with the guys, not trying to take anything away from him!

-- Posted by factchecker2016 on Sun, Jul 17, 2016, at 4:28 PM
  • Agree.

Was just wondering if he's still around, or if he took something else?

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Sun, Jul 17, 2016, at 5:53 PM
  • Anyone have anything about the coaching search? Possible names. Is this the only place to find out about SEMO Baseball other than the team website or D1 Baseball which requires a fee? Hope it is taking time because they are taking the search very seriously. I am a new SEMO Baseball fan, is their a nice fan base, is the field being updated to turf yet? Sorry for the rant but very excited to root for this team and get past this hurdle.

-- Posted by Hankerton on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 1:39 PM
  • I've heard 6 names, but only 3 are realistic.

Jackson baseball coach is 1 of the 6.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 4:15 PM
  • Who are the other 2?

-- Posted by Hankerton on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 8:27 PM
  • They better not hire a coach without D1 coaching experience .

-- Posted by arich35 on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 9:53 PM
  • They need to hurry up! Losing valuable recruiting time as scholarship offers are being made as of July 1. Also will be tough to get a good coaching staff put together this late in the recruiting season.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 10:32 PM
  • Can't imagine them hiring a HS coach after turning down Lance Rhodes?

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 10:35 PM
  • I have pretty much come to the realization that we won't be nearly as good next year. We lost too many important pieces

-- Posted by arich35 on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 10:52 PM
  • last year was a record year, but I think with the right coach, this team has a good chance to repeat. #2 & #3 starting pitchers returning, Pennington & Busiek will be better and Osbourne, Ezell, Holst, Lees & Costello is a good core of hitters and if Evans is healthy and Caffrey figures it out, they could be a very dangerous offense!

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 10:59 PM
  • oops, Busiek is gone!

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 11:02 PM
  • If Rhodes would have gotten the HC job I could see Austin leaving Jackson and coming over on staff. I think they are pretty tight, but I see Semo going after a D2 or Juco guy. I don't think he will be at Jackson long though.

-- Posted by bulldogfn on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 11:14 PM
  • It really depends on the coach and how he can progress pitching like Bieser did. Chandler and Beltran both regressed later in the year with the big work load. It will be tough to have as good of a year they had for 3/4th of the year. I do think Pennington could be good as a starter all year but you really need him out of the bullpen.

Half of the line up is going to look good but who plays SS? I don't want Caffery playing 1B every game from the couple games I saw. Who mans 3B? Those are three pretty big defensive positions we need to figure out and they will have to come from recruiting. I won't trust any coach nearly as much as I did with Bieser and his staff.

-- Posted by arich35 on Mon, Jul 18, 2016, at 11:33 PM
  • Couple of good jucos were signed. Hope they are still coming?

That's why we need to get a new coach quickly.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Tue, Jul 19, 2016, at 6:52 AM
  • Someone mentioned Aug 1st is the target date to have a replacement in place. Personally hope they are looking for a younger energetic up an comer with Div.1 experience as an assistant and bring that energy and knowledge with them. Anyone have names of possible coaches. Looked at others mentioned and not very exciting.

-- Posted by Hankerton on Tue, Jul 19, 2016, at 12:44 PM
  • Still no names? Assuming they are willing to pay close to what Bieser was making (85-90) they should be able to get a good assistant from a small to mid-major D1.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Thu, Jul 21, 2016, at 7:40 AM
  • The hitting coach Borgschulte is still here, which is good since he knows the system.

I don't think the turf field has even been started on, I guess it was more important for the Capaha's to play on the field through the summer than Semo to play on a turf field in the fall. The new coach will have to find local fields to play on in the fall since Capaha will be tore up. I don't think Bieser was too happy about that.

-- Posted by bunthimover on Thu, Jul 21, 2016, at 7:51 AM
  • No guarantee that the new coach keeps Borgy.

I assume he's interviewing at other places.

The field thing is not great, but the new turf will give them better practice opportunities in the early Spring.

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Thu, Jul 21, 2016, at 9:20 AM
  • Would love to see Borgschulte stay and use the system that seems to work well but he will have a new boss coming in that will bring in their own system. Was really excited to see nephew learn pitch recognition next yr. while sitting out but who knows. Maybe no news is good news? Wonder how long it takes to replace the field, practicing in some park seems like little league.

-- Posted by Hankerton on Thu, Jul 21, 2016, at 1:02 PM
  • It doesn't take very long to put in the turf infield. It can be done over the winter. The turf companies have it down pat and can do it in a month. Shouldn't be a problem to get in fall practice on grass and have the turf ready by Feb. when college practice starts.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Jul 22, 2016, at 7:20 AM
  • -- Posted by Big red hawk on Fri, Jul 22, 2016, at 9:22 AM
  • Looks like Bieser will soon have his third boss in three weeks?

-- Posted by Big red hawk on Fri, Jul 29, 2016, at 9:00 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: