Mizzou Sports Forum: Mazoo vs the Rockets, ESPN 11AM Sat

Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 2, 2014, at 6:04 PM:

Zou favored by five so far. Im nervous about this one. Toledo had us in their sights last year for three qtrs til their qb started throwing to our dbs. This no gimme whatsover, if we dont play well we are bummn. Toledo is solid in both aspects of offense, rushing and passing. Our D needs to improve on lasweeks performance. Gonna be a tough game to win. A humble opinion.

Replies (5)

I think the team will be fine ultimately. The defense will be fine as they working in several new starters all over but especially the secondary. SDS had 2 6'5 WR who abused Penton and Simon some during the 3rd quarter. Admittedly Penton said he had checked out and then they started picking on him because he was small so he got refocused and picked off that endzone pass. Lesson learned hopefully.

DL is good like we thought. Golden had a great game with 10 tackles, 4 TFL, and 1.5 sacks as DE. His counterpart Shane Ray also had 6 tackles, 1 TFL, and 1 sack.

The offense is a little scary because the passing game looks boom or bust at the moment. Mauk was not accurate in the short and intermediate passing game though it is a small sample that is effected by inconsistent OL play and a brand new WR core. However, they do look good going deep which is nice. Mauk and the offense must improve in the short passing game if they are to successfully run this offense though as it is a HUNH style and thrives on running lots of plays. Mizzou only ran 60 last week and would like to run 25-30 more plays than that but that's hard to do when you go 3 and out after going incomplete on a 3 & 4 conversion.

Flipside is the run game is ready to go and Hansbrough and Murphy will be fine with a trio of backups fighting to be the third back in the rotation. OL seems really geared up to run block more than it does to pass block.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 3, 2014, at 8:30 AM
  • Yah both those SDS wr were FBS caliber talent in my book. Makes ya wonder how they got overlooked by the big schools. Theyd look mighty good in a zou uniform for sure!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Sep 3, 2014, at 9:52 AM

Fun thing to watch besides hopefully improved all around play is that Mauk is having a semi homecoming playing in Ohio. All of his friends and family will be in attendance. There will also be a young man with some sort of disability( unfortunately I forgot what it is exactly) who was huge fan of Mauk's in HS who will be in attendance and I think honored at the game. I'm not one to dwell on off the field stuff like that but it could be enough impetus for Mauk to want to show out even more than he already does.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Sep 4, 2014, at 8:26 AM
  • Well as usual my fears were unfounded. I followed game on phone and it sounds like the O was humming. Good win for the tiggers!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Sep 6, 2014, at 2:56 PM

Great game from Mauk. Defense needs work but once again Ray and Golden's pressure produced major dividends for the back 7

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Sep 6, 2014, at 5:21 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: