Mizzou Football: Media Day Hype Edition

Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jul 16, 2014, at 1:57 PM:

Well we started a thread bemoaning and defending Mizzou football after the excessive dumping Mizzou took last year at SEC Media Day so my superstitious side tells me let's do it again.

I do really think Mizzou has a chance at winning 9-12 games next year. I'm sure that's confrontational so discuss.

Replies (29)

• I'll go 8-9 not counting a bowl game

-- Posted by gettinweird on Wed, Jul 16, 2014, at 3:01 PM

I just don't see Florida being that much better with Driskell and the other 2 big boppers have considerable holes at QB and several defensive spots too. I'm not sold on the big 3 in the East traditionally bouncing into 10 win form. I'm calling another Mizzou run to Atlanta this fall!

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jul 16, 2014, at 4:11 PM
  • IMO I see Mizzou winning maybe 7 games. They lost everyone from their very very good defense and only return Matty Mauk as their lone offensive weapon. Might be a long year for you Mizzou fans

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Thu, Jul 17, 2014, at 7:21 AM
  • I believe they'll still have an overall decent defense although depth could be an issue. Need a couple receivers to step up so Manziel, I mean Mauk (ha ha), has targets. I think RB will be fine with Murphy and Hansbrough. OL should be pretty good. The cupboard isn't bare but maybe just unproven. Plus, I really like the fact they don't play Auburn, Alabama or LSU so I say 8-4 or 9-3 before a bowl game.

-- Posted by Grussman on Thu, Jul 17, 2014, at 7:59 AM

I think they will once again dominate the line of scrimmage with that DL. Shane Ray and Markus Golden will lead the way for the conference in sacks. Mauk has weapons just unproven.

I don't buy Hudson Mason at QB at Georgia surviving with a patchy OL in my opinion and the buzz for South Carolina astounds me after they lose their gutsy QB and 2 monster DL. Ray and Golden as backups had more production than all of South Carolina's projected DL combined. I'm calling this Mizzou winning the east shot now.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jul 17, 2014, at 8:15 AM
  • I dont think the SEC East will be down as a whole as it was last season too (Mizzou is very lucky to be playing in the East).. IMO it will be better but the SEC Champion will come out of the SEC West as usual

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Thu, Jul 17, 2014, at 8:28 AM
  • I have no idea about this year since last year i guaranteed a 4-8 season and Pinkles head on a platter. Im a bit concerned about losing DGB as is everyone im sure. We've lost the element of surprise so we better be on our game every saturday. I predict 8-4 even though ive no clue.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jul 18, 2014, at 1:26 AM

I will ground my reasoning beyond the reloading of the DL with this question. Removing the mystery QB situations of the sure cellar dwellers this year in Vandy and UK( sorry Buck but at least you guys got the hoops) let's look at the known quantities coming back at QB in the East.

You can only pick one out of Hudson Mason( UGA), Jeff Driskell(UF), Dylan Thompson( USC), Worley( UT), and Maty Mauk( Mizzou) who are you taking based on the limited track record we have seen from most of them?

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jul 18, 2014, at 8:50 AM

It's cool haha. While I do think they are vastly improving, and making the biggest strides that they have made in decades, it is still going to take a couple years for these recruiting classes to mature and take effect. For now we will probably stay in our cellar dweller status haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jul 18, 2014, at 10:16 AM

Yeah I hate the fact that y'all win 4-5 games and recruit like crazy but Mizzou can't crack the top 25 most years. Though the winning is nice.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jul 18, 2014, at 10:33 AM
  • I don't know anything about Mason or Thompson. Driskell could be solid. The media here in Nashville hasn't been particularly high on Worley and this is Big Orange country, so, I like Mauk's chances as much as any of them. I just hope he doesn't get hurt...

-- Posted by Grussman on Fri, Jul 18, 2014, at 10:47 AM

Yeah Thompson and Hudson are 5th year seniors with a combined 4 starts between them. Both are slow and imobile and basically try to get by with prototypical style but haven't had much success. Mauk is in my opinion the best QB in the East. Some would argue for Thompson but I just have a feeling Mauk is gonna have a Chase Daniel like rise this season.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jul 18, 2014, at 10:59 AM
  • Yah Matty football is very competitive and seems to have that ability to learn somethin new every game and use it to keep gettin better as the season progresses. I like his leadership and i think the team really buys into him. That Gamecock qb who replaced the injured starter last year was very unimpressive in my opinion.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jul 18, 2014, at 11:50 AM

Yeah he has been in mop up for Shaw for like two years but he is a statue that will get eaten like QB soup by DEs as talented as Golden and Ray.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jul 18, 2014, at 11:53 AM
  • SC picked first, zou fourth in division. SC must have a stud qb in the fold cuz that second stringer from last year is very average, im assuming Shaw graduated? Shaw was very good so if he's back then i can see them in first.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Jul 19, 2014, at 12:33 PM

Shaw graduated and Thompson is starting. Media really likes Thompson and South Carolina is a real easy narrative to get behind.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Jul 19, 2014, at 2:14 PM
  • Oh yah i saw u mentioned Thompson i previous posts. He made weak inaccurate throws vs zou lasyear and as u said, very immobile.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Jul 19, 2014, at 2:42 PM

Those media rankings tell me they have no idea who is winning the east and when in doubt Spurrier out.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Jul 19, 2014, at 2:57 PM

So time to opine with some camp updates:

For all those who missed it Mizzou WR and my personal pick for breakout candidate Levi Copelin was suspended for use of illegal supplements he claimed to get at GNC.

Marcus Murphy has been practicing at WR and it looks like he will start or at least be heavily featured in the WR rotation. This explains why Russell Hansbrough was named the starting RB in spring ball. Murphy will probably take snaps at both spots

Harold Brantley after flirting with off the field inspired benching is now up to the two deep again.

Pinkel compared new RSFR LB Donovan Newsome to Sean Weatherspoon.

Incoming FR Greg Taylor and Tavon Ross have not made it to campus. Ross holds out hope to qualify while Taylor is for sure attending JUCO.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Aug 6, 2014, at 12:30 PM
  • Is Levi done for the year?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Aug 6, 2014, at 2:50 PM

Yep suspended.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Aug 6, 2014, at 3:24 PM
  • He'll end up startn down in Norman this fall most likely

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Aug 6, 2014, at 3:47 PM

Naw he is sticking around. Still with program and gets to practice all year just not attend games. The NCAA basically just redshirted him.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Aug 6, 2014, at 4:33 PM

So Mizzou had a scrimmage yesterday and reports that Mizzou's defense will take a step back this year after losing several players seems to have wildly overstated and accepted on speculation. The secondary seemed work better without White and Ponder back there and there is a lot of youth and JUCO experience to supplement the 4 starters. The big story was the DL and how much of wrecking crew it looks to be again. Particularly Sophomore Josh Augusta stood out playing with the 1st team in Hoch's absence due to minor injuries. He looks like a guy who could start by mid season and become the next Sheldon.

Of course this inversely means the offense was shoddy. The general consensus on the OL is that the tackles are fine and center is great with Boehm. The guards are dicey with McGovern moving to RT. So the coaches have already removed Mitch Hall from the starting RG spot and replaced him with Taylor Chappell a RS Soph. The WR were ok and FR RB Trevor Walters looks real good and should get plays this year. Mauk was fine for the most part but the entire offense didn't seem to gel well yet. Alas it is the first scrimmage so that should be overcome.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 10:22 AM
  • I think we'll win the East again. That might sound crazy but I look at 3 things when I'm judging a football team, O-Line, D-Line, and QB. We have the best D-Line in the East. We have a solid O-Line, and we have the best QB in the East, maybe in the entire SEC. That's a recipe for Atlanta.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 4:30 PM

It's a definite possibility and it all comes down to that week 5 game in South Carolina in all likelihood which worries me to much to declare we will win the East.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 4:44 PM
  • A lot of people just look at Mizzou's team and try to slap a record on them (hence the guy saying the MAY win 7 games lol)

Sometimes it helps to look at the schedule they play. They get pretty lucky this year with a favorable schedule.

South Dakota State - Easy W.

@Toledo- Don't like that we have to go there, but still a W.

UCF - Should definitely be a W at home.

Indiana - Trounced them at their place last year. W.

@South Carolina - VERY tough game, especially on the road. I do like our QB better than theirs. However, if I have to pick W or L, I will say L.(winnable game though)

Georgia - Same situation as South Carolina, however we get them at home. I like our QB better than theirs(don't know much about Mason). I will say W for this game. (loseable game though)

Florida - Tough to play in the swamp. Florida's offense has been atrocious the past few years, I think Mizzou should win, unless Florida's offense is better. W (another loseable game)

Vandy - At home, revenge from the home loss 2 years ago, Mizzou wins big. W

Kentucky - Kentucky is bad. W.

@Texas A&M - A&M is in the same boat as Mizzou. Having to replace a lot of guys, including former Heisman trophy winner. We have faired well in the past at Texas A&M, including the last two years in the Big XII we beat them there. I believe we win this game. W. (loseable game)

@Tennessee - I think Tennessee will be better, still believe we beat them. W.

Arkansas - lol Arkansas. Mizzou thrashes them on Black Friday, kicking the rivalry off right! W.

I think it is very possible to go 11-1 with this schedule, and if the ball bounces our way a few extra times, maybe 12-0(doubtful). This could also be an 8-4 season if we catch a few bad breaks (injuries, etc.).

Let's shoot for 11-1 and SEC East Champs hopefully!

Thoughts?

-- Posted by Flyers20 on Fri, Aug 15, 2014, at 2:36 PM

It may take 12 wins to win the East is top heavy which means you can't count on the out of nowhere upset to steal a title. It may very well come down to Mizzou V South Carolina or Mizzou V Georgia in back to games deciding the East.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Aug 15, 2014, at 3:11 PM
  • Looking at SC's schedule, I only see one game that I'd count as a loss, @Auburn. I think Mizzou will have to win in the other Columbia to go back to Atlanta. Hopefully we get the cocky bird off our backs.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Fri, Aug 15, 2014, at 9:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: