Frank Haith

Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 4:32 PM:

ESPN reports he verbally agreed to take Tulsa job vacated by Danny Manning

Replies (183)

• Ill be throwing a huge party tonight at my house. Everyone is welcome.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 6:42 PM
  • That is great news now go hire Kim Anderson

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 8:39 PM
  • Why would Haith leave Mizzou for Tulsa? No disrespect intended for Tulsa, but that is a step backwards as far as his career is concerned it seems to me.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 8:49 PM
  • Preach, I've heard he asked Alden for an extension. He said no, Haith saw the writing on the wall. Fan base has gone cold on him and he was looking for a way out.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 9:11 PM
  • Hey Champ.......would a we tried to tell everybody so be applicable here?? I think so! Best news I've heard in awhile!!

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 9:32 PM
  • Ok Champ thanks for the update. SportsCenter is now reporting that Haith has taken the job at Tulsa. So the search is on for the newest head coach at Mizzou. Any thoughts?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 10:46 PM

What's more attractive, Tennessee or Mizzou!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 11:12 PM
  • A lot of folks saying if Mizzou offers Greg Marshall 3 million a year, he will give it some serious thought.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 11:23 PM

That'd be huge

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 11:53 PM

That's almost as much as Pinkel makes. If Mizzou can make that money appear out of the budget than go for it. How much does the highest paid coach in college make anyway?

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 1:04 AM
  • -- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 9:23 AM
  • http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

The first one was for college basketball and the second link is for college football.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 9:24 AM

It would be a great pick up and put Mizzou in the pay grade of blue bloods. It's highly unlikely.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 9:56 AM
  • Pinkel makes 3.1 a year. If they offer 3 to Marshall and he takes it, I think they have to throw a little more to Pinkel. I think this is all unlikely though. If I'm Alden, I'm calling up the boosters with the deepest pockets and tell them I'm going after Marshall for 3 mil a year, do y'all have my back?

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 10:25 AM

Pinker makes close to 3.3 now but regardless that's a lot of money that maybe needed to shore things like the coaching staff( football), facilities, and whatever else it takes to keep the AD running. But we are about to get a huge windfall from the SEC Network so I'm with you on rolling the dice for Marshall.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 10:45 AM
  • Tubby Smith sounds about right for MIZZ!

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 1:48 PM

Heck no

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 1:50 PM
  • Pinkel makes 3.1 million a year.

It's time for Alden to hit a home run for basketball. He's 0 for 3 right now with hiring a coke head, a liar, and a coward.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 4:37 PM

Or maybe he needs to go see the Wizard of Oz

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 6:28 PM
  • Alden needs to go too!

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Fri, Apr 18, 2014, at 9:25 PM
  • Kim Anderson was a great player and person for mizzou. I know nothing about his coaching ability other than his recent D-II nat champ. Whats everyone's thoughts about him as the new coach, is this even a consideration?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Apr 19, 2014, at 9:59 AM

Anderson is not happening. Alden doesn't want him and Anderson is over Mizzou. People need to let the Norm era go and try to give whoever gets hired a fair shake

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Apr 19, 2014, at 10:44 AM
  • Are boosters and alums wanting Anderson or is he not even in the picture at all? Is it even considered a resumè booster to have success in D-II?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Apr 19, 2014, at 11:19 AM

I mean it's nice he has had success and it's a fan favorite choice to bring in Kim because he was one of Norm's guys. But Alden and the boosters aren't exactly thrilled with the idea of a D2 coach. This is possibly the hire that make or breaks Alden's tenure here and he knows it's a lot to risk on Kim.

There's also something to be said for moving on as fanbase and a program. The program has been trying to live up Norm standard with the fans. The fans want a new Norm but guess what there isn't a new Norm coming. Now there may very well be a New Greg Marshall who establishes Mizzou as a national program in a way that Norm never did but not if the fans cry and moan everytime things get bleak. Everyone always screams" THIS DIDNT HAPPEN WHEN NORM WAS HERE!" That's got to stop.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Apr 19, 2014, at 1:23 PM

Norm Stewarts first 8 seasons.. It took him 9 seasons to reach NCAA tourney where they went to elite 8. Building a program takes time. Mizzou has a history of underachieving mad fans grow frustrated far too quickly. It's no wonder mizzou has such a hard time bringing in a top notch coach. Mizzou sports fans have champaign expectations with a PBR reality.

1967-1968 Missouri 10-16 5-9 6th

1968-1969 Missouri 14-11 7-7 5th

1969-1970 Missouri 15-11 7-7 T-3rd

1970-1971 Missouri 17-9 9-5 T-2nd

1971-1972 Missouri 21-6 10-4 2nd NIT First Round

1972-1973 Missouri 21-6 9-5 T-2nd NIT First Round

1973-1974 Missouri 12-14 3-11 T-7th

1974-1975 Missouri 18-9 9-5 3rd NCIT First Round

-- Posted by secretagentman on Sat, Apr 19, 2014, at 4:14 PM

Really hearing that Kim Anderson is becoming a strong candidate for the Mizzou job.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 21, 2014, at 5:19 PM

Andy Katz reports that but a lot of everything is still tied up in Greg Marshall

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 21, 2014, at 6:12 PM

Mizzou Rivals site is reporting that Mizzou hasn't had any contact to Anderson at this point and the story is more of an appeasement of the fanbase than anything

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 21, 2014, at 6:38 PM

Tim Floyd to Mizzou maybe!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 8:38 AM

That's the scuttlebutt. Word is he is stumping for it. I guess he really wants out of UTEP

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 9:04 AM
  • Floyd is at least a proven winner/proven recruiter/as well as a proven elite level X's and O'x guy. I would still rather Mizzou go with Kim Anderson. Give it to the Missouri guy who's born and bred that won't leave until he retires.

Gregg Marshall is everybodies choice, and that would be great. But he's not coming unless they pony up the BIG BIG bucks.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 9:11 AM
  • Marshall is not going to take a step back in his career and go coach at mizzou. He has it made in Witchita right now and has talent to make another deep run in the real tournament, where mizzou will be playing for a nit berth, maybe.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 9:28 AM
  • Yah IF kim andersons a good recruiter/coach i'd like to see him get it simply to try to return some continuity to the program. He seems like he'd be a lifer and an ethical no nonsense type of coach, but it'd be nice if he could also win. That of course is the unknown with him, no D-I experience. If we cant get marshall, i dont think we will, i would like to see kim given a shot, if not to get mizzou outta the headlines for behavior issues. I think he'd clean up the program.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 9:39 AM
  • Dr. everybody has a price. The question is whether or not Mizzou will go that high? I say they won't. But NOBODY, not named Donovan, Coach K, Calipari, Williams, or Izzo(probably left out a couple more) is going to turn down 3 million a year. However, there's 2 chances Mizzou offers that much. Slim and none.

Ciri-Coaching is coaching. If Anderson gets the players(recruiting could be the question) he would win. I also agree with you in that he would help clean up the program. Being from Missouri he's going to have more pride than the other guy in the job he's doing. Representing.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 9:54 AM
  • Matta, Self, Pitino and Alford are the other coaches making 3 million plus a year.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 9:56 AM

Look I understand the fascination with Anderson but when in the history of ever has a D2 coach ever gone straight to HC in a Big 5 conference? He hasn't even proven himself at a mid major. All because he is a Missouri lifer is not the best reason to hire him. Plus there are serious recruiting questions.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 10:22 AM
  • The only part of your post that really matters is the questions about recruiting, which I agree with. they are legitimate and very important. But coaching is coaching. If you can win at the D-2 level, you can win at the D-1 level. It's soley about the players. If he can relate to and motivate/put kids in the right spots at the D-2 level, he can do it at the D-1 level. Can he recruit? We probably won't find out regardless.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 10:33 AM

Well the question is then why hasn't a Conference USA team given him a shot yet? WHY DIDNT KIM ANDERSON GO TO TULSA?!??!???! I would like to see a track record of him recruiting and coaching a higher class of athlete. Floyd interest me but he is a little old for my taste.

Fun rumor I heard was that Greg Marshall was at Kaufman Stadium last night in KC for the Mizzou Witchita State baseball game. The juicy part is that he was supposedly there to have a clandestine meeting with Alden in some unseen office. I can only hope

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 10:40 AM
  • I agree JW, he won a national champ at just the next level down, so it may be worth it to give him a shot. Its pretty much a guarantee he would at least stabilize the program.

Bunk your concerns are valid, i think im just tired of all this upheaval ever since we got Quin, this has been going on for too long now.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 10:41 AM
  • Why would a Conference USA team not hire a guy like Anderson? Well, because they, like most every other Mid Major or school that lies outside the top 20 but is better than a top 40-50 school will go after the Frank Haith type. A guy with experiences at schools in the Big 5 conference. A guy that give a school like Tulsa a name(if you can call Haith a name).

I'm not interested in names. I'm interested in guys that can coach and that will run a cleaner program. Floyd is a winner and he has coached a lot of NBA talent. His age doesn't concern me because, realistically speaking, who's coming to Mizzou for more than 6-8 years anway?

As far as Anderson coaching higher class talent, again, coaching is coaching. That's not going to be the issue. Recruiting could be.

Marshall should take the job so we'd all be happy. haha

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 10:46 AM
  • Yah im just assuming we wont get marshall, but he'd be my first pick and then anderson

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 10:53 AM

I want Marshall if not him than a younger coach like Mick Cronin, Chris Mack, or Archie Miller. If that doesn't happen than dip into the old guard with Tim Floyd or Ben Howland. Kim Anderson is at the bottom for me. I don't know if he can recruit( his and many of Norm's staff don't have a great track record) and he maybe able to coach D2 buts it different animal the better the players get. That's why High School coaches rarely jump to college and why college coaches rarely jump to the NBA.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:22 AM
  • Im still holdn out for the Celts coach, bunk! Woodnt that be awesome!! I know not now, but maybe down the road a bit!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:36 AM
  • You give Anderson this years Mizzou team and I promise you, they wouldn't have been in the toilet tourney. The best recruiting tool is winning. Being a snake oil salesman only gets you so far. It got Haith a contract at Tulsa.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:53 AM
  • And I'll add, Anderson isn't my 1st choice but I do think the program will be in great shape if he is given a contract.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 11:59 AM
  • Haha i love this from Burwell of Stl PD, in regards to courting Marshall:

"Budget: Solomon talks about how WSU has "tremendous resources. ... (Marshall) has luxuries that a lot of coaches don't have." In other words, don't take shortcuts on recruiting budgets, assistant coaches salaries, travel for games and recruiting. Get the private jets on the runway right now.

Here's how the negotiations should go. Make the call. Take the meeting. First thing out of your mouth should be yes. Last thing out of your mouth should be yes. Every word in between the first and last word ought to be yes."

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 12:29 PM

Well that's one way to do it but can Mizzou realistically pay more than 3 million a year in salary. They can't so either he takes that or you move on quickly.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 12:35 PM

I think Bo Ryan went from a D2 school, straight to Wisconsin when he was hired after winning multiple titles at that level.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 1:03 PM
  • Bo Ryan is a great example.

Mizzou can pay 3 million. But can and willing to are 2 different things. SEC network combined with other monies pad Mizzous pockets nicely.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 1:10 PM

I'm hearing now that there has been zero contact in either direction between Missouri and UTEP's Tim Floyd. Not a candidate for job.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 8:16 PM

That's what Vahe reports. The original report was from Jeff Goodman who we all should take with a grain of salt. This was a guy yelling from the mountain top LOCK TO TENNESSEE when everyone knew was a Tiger.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 8:25 PM

Yeah shoulda known when it was Goodman.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 23, 2014, at 8:27 PM

There was a rumor that Alden was going to announce KA as the coach today but those appear to be just rumors. Ben Howland's name has picked up traction since it seemed to die last weekend

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 12:14 PM

As soon as I post that and a close board of curators meeting has been called so I assuming that Alden and search committee have their man and as one message board poster put it "await the black and gold smoke to flow from the top of Jesse Hall"

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 12:38 PM
  • PD reports curators meeting is monday

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 3:47 PM

I'm sorry yeah it is Monday. A lot big timers like ESPN say it's Anderson but all the really close to Mizzou media have confirmed he hasn't be offered. Doesn't mean he won't get the offer this weekend but this in no way a done deal like some are making it out to be. Crossing my fingers for Marshall or Howland.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 4:01 PM
  • It better be Howland. Everywhere the dude goes, he wins.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 7:40 PM

Every sign says Anderson but God please let it be anyone else that has been a legitimate candidate on the hot board.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 25, 2014, at 9:12 PM
  • Alden has shown he has no clue when it comes to hiring basketball coaches I would expect another bad hire.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Sun, Apr 27, 2014, at 4:49 PM
  • I agree

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 6:27 AM

Hearing you guys will have a new coach by the end of the day.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 10:07 AM

Well seeing as there is a curator's meeting to approve the contract I would believe that we would have to. Apparently the search firm that Va Tech hired and stole Buzz Williams away in the middle of the night is the same one Alden hired so this could be a left field hire.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 12:36 PM
  • Celts coach haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 12:45 PM

If only Ciri but I hope my sake he sticks with the celtics. Fun stuff is starting to spiral out of control now. Reports of donors ponying up 3.2 mil for Marshall, Anderson receiving mail already, Howland parachuting in at the press conference. Ok I made the parachute part up but the point is THAT NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 12:52 PM
  • Haha the suspense is killing me!! Wonder what the over-under is in Vegas!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 1:02 PM

What I would give for a solid leak. The meeting is over by the way and no announcements made.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 2:40 PM

As many of you have, I'm hearing that it's Anderson.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 2:58 PM

I saw where Wessler tweeted that but if it is him you think there would be more of a flood of confirmation.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 3:03 PM
  • Kim Anderson it is

-- Posted by Swoop on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 3:10 PM

On cue there is the confirmation flood. It's officially Anderson. If I could cussing this board I would. Bad hire in my opinion when considering the situation. If Fuller stats we may salvage the recruits which will be nice but who knows. I hope he is prepared for the apathy bomb to hit.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 3:11 PM

He will need to start recruiting new guys and the guys that are already commited for next year tomorrow. Can't let those current commits get away.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 3:17 PM

Those commits are gonna roll with Fuller so he needs to start locking down Fuller as the heir apparent or something of that nature.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 3:21 PM

Bunk, the apathy bomb already hit. Did you not see the low number in attendance this past season? This hire was not as about the original Haith hire to begin with. So please.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 3:44 PM

That should have been "not as bad"*

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 3:52 PM

Well we have a rookie head coach with no D1 head coaching experience who happens to be the oldest coach in the SEC now. Also couldn't recruit as an assistant under Norm and the current recruits are ready to bail if Fuller does.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 4:30 PM
  • I agree Jolly, Anderson may not be a homerun but Haith ended up being a strikeout. Alden had nowhere to go but up! At least Kim will put a few more posteriors in the seats just cause he bleeds black n gold. Im not saying he's gonna have a great winning pct because no one really knows. But the stress of a program in turmoil is definitely lessened, the black cloud has lifted.

Poor Bunk, i know a few spanish cuss words ifya wanna borrow them, hopefully Ms Crader didnt take spanish!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 4:34 PM
  • And hey, pinkle's in his sixties now and sounds like he's gonna be around awhile! These older coaches wont bail like Mikey and Frank did!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 4:38 PM

So wait your saying the best thing about this is he isn't going to leave? That's silly you don't marry someone because they won't leave you. You don't hire someone for it either.

2nd on your point about Pinkel. He coached at a small D1 school in Toledo for several seasons and came in after horrible seasons to a down program and has basically built it for a decade. This would be like hiring Tony Samuel after his big year just because he had a connection to the previous icon coach.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 4:50 PM
  • I meant to add IF he has success he wont leave. Im not too sure younger coaches wouldnt consider zou a steppingstone, given how much our reputation has taken a hit since good ole Norm left.

Haha just kiddn about the insertion of Stormin, couldnt resist!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 4:58 PM

So did Mizzou pass on Howland!? Or is Howland now being beat out by D-II coaches!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 5:26 PM

Sorry I guess that should read did Howland pass on Mizzou!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 5:32 PM
  • Tellya what Buck, this whole process tells me zou's program isnt nearly as cushy as we envision it to be. I dont think many high level coaches mustve been beatn down Aldens door. We zou fans perhaps are lookn at our hoops program thru rose colored glasses. Or too put it more succinctly, beer goggles.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 5:33 PM
  • And bunk, would u marry someone if u knew u were just a pitstop til something more enticing came along for your bride. At least you'd have a chance for love to grow with a loyal spouse. Jus sayin......

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 5:38 PM

No Buck I would be the other way around. Basketball is very wary of Howland for some reason

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 5:54 PM

I believe I'm going to have to agree with you Bunk. While its true Mizzou might not be a super desirable basketball job, I really feel Mizzou chose Anderson over him, and programs do seem to be wary of him.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 5:58 PM
  • Bunk, you need to stop thinking so negative. KA can coach and he'll win games at Mizzou. His teams are gunna play defense, rebound, and move the ball on offense. It will be almost weird watching a Mizzou team play with so much effort, compared to the last 2 years. And when the wins start rolling in, so will the recruits.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 7:40 PM

I don't think you understand basketball recruiting

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 8:08 PM
  • I fell better with the KA hire than I ever did with the Haith hire. I can still remember watching that hitler voiceover on YouTube the night Haith was hired. Funny stuff, not real inspiring.

-- Posted by jlw82 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 8:11 PM
  • So winning games doesn't give you a better chance at pulling in recruits? Whaaaa???

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 8:27 PM

No it's about the staff you keep. Anderson has never been a good recruiter because he never took the time to A) Make connections with HS coaches in STL and other Midwest cities B) He never learned how to play the "game" in recruiting it requires to excel. Now if he can keep Fuller than that is as HUGE step in the right direction because he can pretty much do it for him.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 8:51 PM

Also let's assume he is the messiah of coaches y'all say he is. He has not had to be a head coach that deals with a talent disparity before and perhaps his schemes don't translate well with opposing talent that is faster and more accurate from every spot on the floor. There is a whole lot of gold colored glasses thinking it will be fine because he is a "True Son". Can we retire that term for 58 year old men. Let's call him True Grandpa instead

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 8:55 PM
  • I wish I was as smart as you are. Just curious, how old are you? I think I remember you saying before you were a student at Mizzou a couple years ago?

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 9:07 PM

Correct I'm in my mid twenties though that shouldn't really have any bearing on the content of what I post.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 9:16 PM
  • KA wasn't recruiting for his job as much than, maybe this time around he will take the time to establish those ties to St. Louis and the like. All I can say is I feel better right now with Coach Anderson going into next year as compared another year with Haith.

-- Posted by jlw82 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 9:32 PM
  • So Bunk, your reason for believing that Kim Anderson will not be able to bring in talent at Mizzou in 2014 and moving forward is because 20 years ago, he was an assistant on a staff that wasn't bringing in blue chips?

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 9:47 PM

That's what we in the real world would call a track record so yes I'm holding him to it. Also if he had gone to a D1 school and had success than perhaps his recruiting wouldn't be as big of a question mark but he has chosen to stay hidden in D2 mid Missouri and not test himself. Also what connections does he have. I will give you one guess as to the biggest connection that helps Fuller recruit top 75 overall kids.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 10:00 PM

I will give you a hint.... It's a four letter word and it hails from Oregon

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 10:01 PM
  • FILA

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 10:11 PM
  • DUCK?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 28, 2014, at 11:51 PM

Very close Ciri

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 12:10 AM
  • Haha!! Again bunk, i fully understand ur concerns, who knows what'll happen?

Here's Bernie's spin:

* I don't care that Anderson had to wait this long to get a D1 head-coaching shot. Because I know that there were a lot of great, passionate fans in Wisconsin citing the same type of career history when they blasted the hiring of Bo Ryan -- a longtime career assistant who didn't excite anyone when he got the call to lead Wisconsin basketball. It was a fantastic hire, even better than supporters probably expected. And plenty of D1 programs had a chance to offer Ryan a gig before Wisconsin.

* Recruiting looms as a challenge, but in terms of basketball, Anderson can coach. I have no concerns about his basketball intelligence and leadership qualities. If you can take Central Missouri University to three Division II Final Fours over the last eight seasons and win a national championship, then you can coach the game of basketball at any level. And you can lead. Moreover, Central Missouri has a notable list of prominent coaching alums that includes Phog Allen, Joe B. Hall and Gene Bartow.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 12:43 AM
  • More Bernie:

* Anderson is 58 years old, which seems to be a problem for some observers. I have no idea why. How many NCAA championships have been won by coaches in their 50s? Quite a few, I would imagine. Did you want to hire a 30something that would use Mizzou as a steppingstone to a job that he really wanted? Sorry, but I did not want that. Haven't we had enough of drive-by coaches who are passing through Boone County? I'm in favor of installing a coach who sees this job as his calling. His dream job. And that man is Kim Anderson.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 12:52 AM
  • Bernie's right about 50% of the time, not bad for a hack. I would love for him to be right about KA cuz he is truly a respectable and humble man. I'll be rootn for him!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 12:56 AM

I see this as the problem in how you view young coaches. All those 55+ year old coaches that are refered to started at those programs in their late 30s early40s. It was usually their 2nd D1 job and they built it and stayed and it is where it is because of them. Outside of UK getting Calpari which blue blood schools that we are worried about the unnamed coach jumping to found their coach in their 50s and that coach was more established than that job? None outside UK which was prime real estate.

My point is you have to get a young coach and build a power with them. You have to pay them big time once they get there and you have to be willing to pay for all the small facility, recruiting etc to allow him to be successful. This hire is an attempt to cling to the closet thing Mizzou had in that department in Norm. Anderson has hardly any time to build anything considering the growing experiences of a D1 job and his advanced age. Once he hits that prime time in program growth there is a chance he will be in his early 70s and ready to retire. That's if everything works out outside of the question marks Kim has in his lacking resume. I hope he does well but I in no way expect it.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 1:04 AM

I truly think if this hire happened instead of the Mike Anderson hire it's probably a better hire in fact it is a better hire even with the recruiting questions. But that was the search in which Alden performed a shotgun marriage between the university and Mike Anderson by leaking the deal before the curators could fire him for the Quinn debacle.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 1:10 AM
  • I cant argue with ur age concern, its quite valid. For this to work things are gonna hafta happen that we maybe wouldnt expect to happen. For example, maybe just maybe a good guy who finally gets his dream job CAN work a little magic that we cant imagine him being able to do right now. I too wish he was 38 or 48 instead of 58 but its cool to have someone hired who truly loves mizzou. He'll do everthing he possibly can to restore the hoops reputation. Is this a Pollyanna summation? Most likely but miracles happen.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 1:37 AM
  • If it takes him 14 years to get this thing going he won't be here by then Bunk. come on man. He'll either be consistently winning 20 games by year 8 or he'll be gone.

-- Posted by baller21 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 7:50 AM
  • Anderson is not happening. Alden doesn't want him and Anderson is over Mizzou. People need to let the Norm era go and try to give whoever gets hired a fair shake

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Apr 19, 2014, at 10:44 AM

Good call bunk

-- Posted by baller21 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 7:51 AM
  • This is hilarious.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 8:14 AM
  • Bunk, who did you honestly expect or want them to hire? For the type of basketball school mizzou is, they got exactly the type of coach they should have.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 8:20 AM

Bunk is usually this way lol. Baller thanks for finding that little gem. That is awesome.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 8:42 AM

That was an opinion from a few reporters a few weeks ago so whatever you can Monday-morning quarterback my commentary all you want.

Personally I don't know why ANYONE else wasn't hired. Howland was rumored and passed over for whatever is hanging over his head. Also there are some media members( Jason King is one of the top of my head) that have said Marshall was willing to listen to Mizzou and did but Alden penny pinched him and he shutdown late last week and that's when the curator meeting was called to hire Anderson. Marshall> Anderson

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:52 AM

By the way baller21 when I say build a program I don't mean 20+ wins a season because guess who had 20+ wins a season at Mizzou? That horrible tyrant Frank Haith did. When I say build I mean build into a national power that makes the tourney every year, makes final fours and wins titles. Bo Ryan is doing it in Wisconsin but he was much younger when he got the job. Coach K did it for Duke and Donovan did it for Florida. It takes literally decades for coaches like Boehiem and K to build programs from the ground up and guess at 58 Anderson may not have a decade.

I just wanted a youngish coach that we could have built around for decade upon decade. They tried with Quinn and he flamed out spectacularly and ever since Alden has been afraid of paying an up and coming coach to make Mizzou a blue blood

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:58 AM
  • Lets play nice, boys. Most of us were calling for pinkle's head before last season, i posted he would go 5-7 at best. All of the concerns about KA are valid and he wasnt the best candidate based on track record. He has no D-I track record. He will restore order in the program. The mystery is, can he win?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 11:00 AM

I hope he can but I have serious doubts. The main thing is keeping Fuller which will ensure Wright and Gant and potentially more recruits. I hope the money are saving on this contract is reinvested in the program.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 11:11 AM
  • A guy on Mosports make a good statement for KA to hire Justin Tatum as an asst. and lock up Jayson.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 11:32 AM

Bunk your hypocritical comments is what makes this funny: "People need to let the Norm era go and try to give whoever gets hired a fair shake."

And yet, here you are criticizing KA for all the muster you have. And then when you get called out on your hypocrisy you just double down. So much for your positive attitude hahaha OMG you're a comedian bro.

As far as Jason King goes we all know that Media members are always correct (see Bernie when he stated MU was getting Painter).

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 11:40 AM
  • Nobody young is coming to Mizzou for two decades. Get over it. If they were that good they'd get called by ucla, UNC, Kansas, or UK by year 10.

-- Posted by baller21 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 11:49 AM
  • And your hopes and expectations are hilarious. Makes Final Fours and wins titles. Doesn't every major conference fan base hope that. Poop in one hand and wish in the other and see which fills faster.

-- Posted by baller21 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 11:52 AM

You lack reading comprehension skills so this talk is pointless.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 11:55 AM
  • Your knowledge and expectations and arrogance are all unsurprising.

-- Posted by baller21 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 12:06 PM

Look if you don't understand sentence content than that is on you. I have not once been hypocritical in the thread. Secondly that's what it takes to build a good program and that's what we all want. If you think that 20 wins a year is what is to be expected than obviously the fanbase disagrees because that wasn't enough to keep them on Frank's side.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 12:55 PM
  • Bernie makes a good point in his above mentioned column about the mizzou mindset:

* And if Alden recognized that Anderson is capable of uniting the fan base at a time when Mizzou basketball is fractured and divided -- well, good for Alden. Because MU really needs that. Some will ridicule and mock this notion; go ahead and let them. The cynics obviously don't understand the turf. Mizzou can be a difficult place. A stubborn place. A contentious place that's not so easy to navigate. If someone can't see the benefit of having a unifying presence, then they're out of touch with Missouri.

I can see his point because zou hoops is in a similar situation as Nebraska football. The husker fanbase is STILL looking for an Osborne clone to lead them back to the promised land. Hoops is similarly tough at mizzou, we had one head coach forever and now we're going thru em like theyre temps or something!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 1:17 PM
  • Then not than

-- Posted by baller21 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 1:18 PM
  • I don't understand why some Mizzou fans are so anti Norm. Also don't get why Alden has been so anti Norm and passed on Anderson the past two coaching hires. Can someone explain?

-- Posted by Swoop on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 1:30 PM
  • Past three coaching hires. My bad

-- Posted by Swoop on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 1:44 PM
  • I liked Norm, just frustrated that we did nothing in the tourney under him. Its just that there will never be another Norm so we gotta stop comparing coaches to him.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 1:50 PM
  • Norm did many great things. Success in the tournament was not one, but he put a product on the floor that we were all proud of, only to have our hearts ripped out in the tournament. However, his last four or five years were very average to mediocre. It was time to say goodbye and I was in favor of it at the time. Alden hired Quin Snyder, who everybody in the country thought was a brilliant hire and a perfect fit. Can't fault Alden for that one. Nobody could have predicted the mess that Snyder got us into.

Although in terms of wins and losses, he was right along with Norm's final four years at MU while also taking us to an Elite 8, something Norm only accomplished twice in 32 years. Norm's winning percentage his last four years was .559. Quin's seven year percentage was .575.

Mike Anderson took over an awful mess that Quin left and he did a pretty adequate job, if not successful but I just never really liked the style (personal opinion). We were 18-12 and then 16-16 his first two years and then 31-7 and the Elite 8 in his third year. He followed that up with back to back 23-11 seasons, losing in the NCAA second round and then first round before leaving us high and dry to go "home" to Arkansas where he has not set the world on fire. Anderson posted a .661 winning percentage in his five years, while leaving his best team to come.

Haith was hired to lots of skepticism. You look at his three year winning percentage of .731, although his 30-5 season was with Anderson's players, you still have to credit Haith for a job well done with that group. I think he pieced together what he could his second year since Anderson had signed NOBODY and really think we did adequately to go 23-11 and make the tournament with a completely pieced together team. His team this year was 23-12, but performed worse in the SEC than the previously year. My personal beef with Haith's teams is the way the teams behaved and acted on the floor as well as just no team ball. Lots of talent, but just simply one on one beat your man off the dribble crap. But I think ultimately Haith was hated because he wasn't Matt Painter. Simple as that. Plus the baggage he brought with him from Miami and he immediately had an uphill climb and the fan support turned to the worst I've ever seen.

Anyway, I'm pleased to get Kim Anderson. Would Gregg Marshall have been awesome? Dang right. But how long would he have stayed before bolting for, say, UNC? MU just isn't a final destination job folks. It just isn't. But maybe with Anderson it will be. The bottom line is we have a coach that wants to be here, wants to stay here and has a strong resume. Lots of experience. The biggest question will be how well he can recruit, but I think he'll be a good one for us. Having said that, it may take a couple years. We are due for a down season next year with our three best players leaving the program.

Sorry for the history lesson and being long-winded. I just was interested to look some stuff up and found that each coach we have had has increased our winning percentage every year since Norm's final four seasons. Very interesting.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 3:25 PM

Bunk, you still failed to acknowledge or excuse your hypocrisy.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 4:11 PM

There was no hypocrisy Jolly if you can't understand what I wrote go find someone to explain it to you.

Swoop Mizzou fans aren't anti Norm. I'm critical of the ones who still hang onto him as though he was Dean Smith when he obviously wasn't. This hire feels like a step backwards to appease those who liked the program the way Norm ran it.

I think semo hoops broke down the modern Mizzou basketball program to a T. Lots quick triggers on these boards to get rid of coach whose offensive style wasn't their favorite even that winning percentage was impressive

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 5:04 PM
  • Hey Jolly, not trying to speak for Bunk but can you state the specific posts that show his hypocrisy? Seems to me he's always said he would prefer not to hire KA. Did i miss something?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 5:06 PM
  • If you couldn't watch Mizzou this year and tell little Carlton couldn't coach, you don't have a clue about the game of basketball. I don't care what the little cowards winning percentage was, he was terrible.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 5:33 PM

Little Carlton hahahaha! love it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 5:42 PM

Das Wascist

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 6:29 PM
  • I didn't mean to come off as Norm-hating. I am a big, big Norm fan. He built our program and led us to many great things, although we had many disappointments along the way, but that's because our expectations were raised because of the teams Norm had built. My main point of my "rant" earlier is that as much as I liked Norm, it was time to go. He really struggled with recruiting those last four years and it showed in the last few years. He missed out on SO many of our top in-state prospects like Larry Hughes, Tyronn Lue, Cookie Belcher, JaRon Rush, Chris Carrawell, Loren Woods, Derek Hood....I can go on and on here (but it's no different than it is now. We STILL can't get the top in-state prospects. And while Quin left us in a bad situation, people forget that Norm's team was on probation as well in '90 or '91. But Norm guided us out of it and led us to the Elite 8 in '94 (one of my favorite Mizzou teams ever).

But to say Alden failed with Quin is not accurate. He was the hottest coaching prospect in the country and this was a major coup for Alden to get Quin. But Quin is the one that failed. First off I think he was limited as a coach, but he could recruit well.

But again, I am happy with Kim Anderson. I do think it appeases many, many Mizzou fans to bring somebody in that they are familiar with. However, I think he was probably Alden's third of fourth choice and after talks with Marshall, Howland, Wright didn't prove fruitful, he probably turned his attention to Kim. But that's speculation, not public knowledge, which is why they hired the firm so the whole country didn't know every move we made like the whole Painter deal. Made us look terrible that year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 8:07 PM

Very true hoops

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 8:27 PM
  • Also, at 58 I don't think Kim's age is a problem. Howland is 59. Tim Floyd, whose name was mentioned (why?) is 60. Gregg Marshall, the guy everybody wanted, is 51. So it's not like there is a huge difference in age between these guys.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 8:48 PM

It was reported that Tim Floyd was interested in the Mizzou job at the same time KA's name came up. It's common knowledge he's not to happy with his current situation. That's why he was mentioned.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 8:57 PM

None of those guys would be rookie D1 head coaches

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 9:09 PM
  • Bo Ryan was 51 when he took over Milwaukee for his first D-I job and then 53 when he took over Wisconsin. People in Badger Land were howling when Wisconsin hired him too. These days, 58 isn't that old. I think if you can keep a coach for 10 years at any university then you're doing well. I mean how often does that happen anymore? Other than a very few exceptions with legends like Coach K, Boeheim, Izzo, etc.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 9:58 PM
  • My point on Floyd is I don't know why he would be an attractive hire. He's never stayed anywhere more than 5 years hardly with minimal success anywhere he's gone along with some controversy and baggage. Epic failure in the NBA (although tough situation in Chicago when everybody left).

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:00 PM

This is the specific post from Bunk I was referencing.

Anderson is not happening. Alden doesn't want him and Anderson is over Mizzou. People need to let the Norm era go and try to give whoever gets hired a fair shake

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Apr 19, 2014, at 10:44AM

I guess Bunk is only up to giving the new coach a fair shake if he is okay with it. This is what makes you a hypocrite Bunk. It doesn't matter you didn't the KA hiring would happen, what matters is that you stated everyone should give the new coach a fair shake and yet here you are bashing the man. I don't need anyone to help me comprehend your hypocrisy Bunk. You should at least own it and admit it instead of doubling down and treating other like we are stupid and ignorant. Although, it is usually case that when people are wrong it is difficult to put aside their pride and admit to their wrongs. Now, if you did not meant to write your original comments, maybe you should learn how to formulate your thoughts better so they don't make you sound so hypocritical.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:31 PM
  • "Let the norm era go" equals don't hire Anderson. Anderson is apart of the norm era. Looks like bunk didn't think he'd get hired which is why he said "give whoever gets hired a fair shake". Bunk would give the "fair shake" to whoever got hired instead of Anderson. Bunk can sure stand up for himself but it looked like you need some more explanation. There is no hypocricy. Chill. You can leave it alone now and talk about relevant things.

-- Posted by Swoop on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:47 PM
  • And thank you for the clarification on the norm years and mizzou coaching since then, semohoops.

-- Posted by Swoop on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:48 PM

I will explain this for you one time. The sentence indicates that I believed KA wasn't going to be hired and that we shouldn't hire a Steward assistant because I thought that would be a bad idea. I wanted the fan base to get give the non-KA hire a chance. I feel that Haith didn't get that chance. The sentence is meant to convey that non Norm related hires should be given a shot.

Obviously that didn't work out the way I thought it would but the point is maybe we should not shoot down people who aren't "True Sons"

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:50 PM

Look Swoop got it and explained it more concisely than I did

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:53 PM

Bunk and Swoop both missed this part of my comments: "I guess Bunk is only up to giving the new coach a fair shake if he is okay with it....It doesn't matter you didn't [think] the KA hiring would happen, what matters is that you stated everyone should give the new coach a fair shake..." So, I don't really need your explanations as to why you are doubling down. No body was really bashing any coaches but you sure seem like bashing KA. You haven't stopped since the announcement was made. Maybe you should take your own advice and give him a "fair shake."

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 11:58 PM

Haith had a chance until his #2 Seeded team (that was inherited) got knocked out by a #15 and then turned the program into a transfer destination. The guy could not coach and should never have gotten the coaching spot to begin with. Kim English should get the coaching record during that season.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:02 AM
  • Ok Jolly i see where ur coming from, just wasnt sure exactly what post u were referring to. I have no intention of stirring anything up but i agree with Swoop that Bunk was so sure KA wasnt gonna be hired that his "give the new coach a fair shake" comment was reserved solely for Norm-worshiping fans who refuse to give un-Normlike coaches the time of day. No hypocrisy here in my opinion, he's just stating his frustration with all things Norm.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:23 AM
  • And though i felt it was fair to give Haith another year or two before letting him go, i didnt think he would be able to recover his lost fan base unless he had a miraculous turn around, which wasnt gonna happen. Though seeming cowardly the way he left, i think he knew it would never work out for him at zou.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:35 AM

It's not really all things Norm it's " all things Norm at all cost" or "all things Norm even though wasn't the second coming of Wooden" or my favorite "all things Norm because the subtext is we want a white coach from the Midwest because he looks and sounds just like us". This obsession with fundamental basketball as though Frank told the players not to pass is ridiculous. I didvt want the hire I have clearly specified what kind of coach needs to get a fair shake at this school or we will forever be lost in the shadow of Norm.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:40 AM

To clarify I'm saying that on semoball that people are stuck in the shadow of Norm or have any geographic/racial biases but on other Mizzou sites( your Rock M, Tiger board, PM) and big newspaper forums like the post dispatch it certainly comes out.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:44 AM
  • Ur right, i should have said MOST things Norm haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:57 AM
  • I'm sure he didn't tell them not to pass it but these are the guys he wanted and he wasn't a good enough coach to control how they played. I don't know how KA will do but the quality and style of play will be better to watch then it has been in a while.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 7:26 AM
  • Looking back at Norms tenure as a coach I'm not sure why he's idolized the way he is. I guess bc he's the best we've ever had but were not a basketball power by any means. He's looked at like Schumate is at SEMO.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 10:20 AM
  • He was a character, i loved his scrums with Billy Tubbs!! People identify with him cuz he was a mizzou athlete and dedicated his life to the university. No, he was not a successfully elite coach but he bled black and gold from the time he was 18. That doesnt happen much anymore these days, so he's kinda us old folks' connection to the " good ole days" haha. (I know u dont like to hear that, bunk!)

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 11:00 AM
  • Plus he built to the program to where it was feared and respected. Lots of great years in the 70s and 80s. No, we never had much tourney success, but we were Big 8 contenders nearly every single year for a long time. Mizzou was consistently ranked and a team to be reckoned with. Unfortunately our failures in the tournament would always overshadow a great season.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 11:29 AM
  • Well said Hoops, those were some mighty fine years, culminating in that awesome '93-94 team!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:09 PM

Word is that Jakeenan Gant is staying! Woo!

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:27 PM

FULLER IS ALSO STAYING! Looks like this might turn out ok if Fuller is committed to the program in the long term.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:36 PM
  • Great news bunk!! Glad to hear that!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:50 PM

Now we need to just bait the big recruit fish and give Justin Tatum a spot on the staff.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 12:57 PM
  • Is that a possibility or a prayer?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 1:13 PM
  • 8 top 150 players is not too shabby of a roster to inherit.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 1:30 PM
  • The fact that Fuller is staying and hopefully his key recruits tells me that Coach Anderson is off to a good start. His #1 goal was to hit the ground running and getting Fuller is a great 1st step. Give him time

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 1:53 PM

That is a rumor about Tatum and is no way substantiated. We know for sure that Fuller and Brad Loos are there and there is one spot left to fill. If Tatum can actually pull it off or just fake it until his son gets there for his 1-2 of basketball I would take it in a heartbeat.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Apr 30, 2014, at 2:00 PM
  • "I'm ecstatic right now," Fuller said in a prepared statement. "I love Missouri. I appreciate everything about our student-athletes, this state, this school and our fans. This has become my home.

"After meeting with coach Anderson the last two days and seeing the way he relates to our student-athletes and coaches, I quickly accepted his offer to join his staff at Mizzou. This is going to be fun."

So far, so good!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 9:52 AM

Fun news on the recruiting/transfer front Ricky Kreklow is reportedly interested in potentially transferring from Cal to Mizzou. That name should ring a bell since Kreklow started his career at Mizzou playing in 32 games coming off the bench as a freshman in 2010-2011

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 11:20 AM

Also if there is anyone in the area who really wants to meet their hero Kim Anderson he will be in Cape for the Tiger Caravan. You have to join the Tiger Scholarship Fund at 50$ a pop but hey it's a true son we are talking about here.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 11:35 AM

Mizzou Tigers Caravan will be in Cape tonight for those interested. Kim Anderson will be there as well as JWIII and Maty Mauk.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 11:39 AM

Sorry Bunk guess my screen wasn't refreshed haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 11:40 AM

Pretty cool that he is already out doing events like these.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 11:40 AM

Bunk, please stop with your ridiculous sarcastic and snobby remarks. You wanted the rest of us to give whoever the coach was going to be a fair shake because you assumed it would not be KA. Now that the coach is KA all you have done is bash the man and bash his supporters. Take your own advice and give the man a chance. You're making a donkey's behind out of yourself.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 12:00 PM

Jolly dump y u mad

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 12:14 PM

I will as long as I feel like pouting. You don't have to read them. Plus I'm just giving KA the same shot 90% of this board gave Frank Haith.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 12:24 PM
  • Hey bunk i read in the PD that White from La Tech was a consideration, i hadnt heard of him, ya got any scoop on him?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 12:29 PM

You are always going to be a hypocrite in my book. You wanted all of us to give the non-KA a chance but since KA was given the job all you done is make snide comments, bash him, and treat the rest of the fans rudely. This is a free forum, I will express to you that your comments are ridiculous.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 12:30 PM

That's your right Jolly. Misguided none the less

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 12:58 PM

I don't think it got off the ground Ciri. White got much deeper in talks with UT for their opening but the rumor is that he thinks the Ole Miss job will be coming open next year and he is beloved down there.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 1:00 PM

At least I am not making a fool of myself by being bitter and demeaning.

With Fuller on board and Loos most likely following, KA needs to get someone who can recruit STL. I am tired of seeing in state guys like McLemore and Young dart off to other schools

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 2:12 PM
  • Loos has the STL connections.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 4:18 PM

Yeah Loos is supposed be connected to all the STL high schools because his dad coached at a lot of different places in STL right?

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 6:53 PM
  • Yea his Dad was Mehlville a while and also coached high school in Memphis and is now at Austin Peay. Loos has a lot of good connections.

With Fuller staying, even if its just for another year there is a good chance a lot of these awesome AAU connections can turn into connections for Anderson and Loos also. Getting Fuller for another year was huge.

When you have someone like Anderson, who can flat coach, recruiting is the key. There are a lot of coaches who can really coach X's and O's but they can't recruit blue chips (Norm). Some coaches can get the talent but they can't coach (Carlton). When you can do both, you go from good/great to elite.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, May 1, 2014, at 8:25 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: