Semoball

High School Volleyball Forum: VB Coaches On The Move

Posted by drawmules on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 3:23 PM:

I have kept this information in my back pocket for four weeks. I wanted to wait until the conclusion of the state tournament to discuss coaching changes. However, I think now is the appropriate time to begin the discussion. Multiple sources from multiple programs have informed me we will see major coaching changes next season. Three legendary coaches may be on the move. Some of these coaching changes will shock volleyball fans throughout Southeast Missouri. Let the speculation begin!!!

Replies (119)

• I've heard some of the same speculation as well, drawmules. I heard from some people in Bell City where their star player Jasmine Johnson is being recruited to Notre Dame on a scholarship and that if she goes, their coach Erin Hoffman is going to leave as well. I wonder where Erin will go; maybe back to Meadow Heights? I remember back in the early 2000s she did great things for Meadow Heights and took them to sectionals three times, I do believe, when they had standout players like Jessica Bollinger, Ashley Brune and Holly Boyd. I'm curious to know who the three legendary coaches who may be on the move are. Enlighten us with the gossip, drawmules.

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 4:34 AM
  • Maybe you should get some confirmed information before you start posting things that aren't true.

-- Posted by Volley coach on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 9:18 AM
  • volleygirl5

I did not mention any names. I knew names would come out on their own when I posted, but I didn't mention any names. I will leave the name posting to others, for now.

One school has an opening already. LOL I know which school has the opening. But I'll keep it to myself for now. Other schools will have openings. I guarantee it. We will see more coaching changes this offseason than in years past.

But semocrat08, legendary coaches are on the move. You can take it to the bank my friend. The question is how many legendary coaches are on the move??? One, two, three or four???

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 11:01 AM
  • semocrat,

get your facts straight, Notre Dame does not give out scholarships. Name one person you know that is on "scholarship", when you do, ask them where they found the application, i'm sure there are other athletes looking for the same scholarship. Also, she would have to sit out her Junior year if she tranferred for athletic reasons. It doesn't matter if it is a private school or not. The only way she could go there and still play is if one of her parents worked there and they received a hardship from MSHSAA.

If they gave out scholarships, why do you not see more of it? Wouldnt they be targeting the best players in every sport? Don't say they already do, just about every star player they have on any team has gone to perochial schools their whole life.

Drawmules,

I've followed high school volleyball around here for a long time and it's hard for me to name 3 or 4 legendary coaches. Unless Ritter, Zole(spelling), or Nenninger are coming out of retirement.

Although, they have been extremely successful, i would not say Erin is "legendary" or Sandy Davis either. Again, great coaches but not legendary.

Ronnie Cookson is legendary, 13 state championships.

So unless you are talking about people coming out of retirement, then who are the legends in this area that are still coaching?

If you're not willing to name names, then why even bother, b/c everything else on here means nothing. Nobody knows who you are so why are you afraid to say who it is?

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 10:10 PM
  • vballfan1234

LOL

I was waiting for someone to ask if there are four legendary volleyball coaches in Southeast Missouri. We all define legends differently.

I do consider Hoffman a legend. Her consecutive district tournament title streak is enough to give her this title. The number of state tournament appearances she has made farther supports this claim. She is hands down the best coach in Southeast Missouri.

Some of the best coaches in this area may be on the move. One program with a great volleyball tradition has an opening. They may be looking for a big name coach. It should be interesting to see what happens when the negotiating begins. The next few months will be very exciting. Two big names coaches could be interested in the opening.

I predict multiple coaching changes this offseason. Some of these changes may shock volleyball fans. You might not see some of these changes coming until they happen.

It doesn't get any better than this!

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 11:52 PM
  • this thread means nothing without names. quit the b.s. and either talk or go away.

how can you be a legendary coach without state titles. district titles mean nothing. this year they were the only team in the district with a winning record

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 12:55 AM
  • vballfan1234

If you have followed volleyball your entire life and I have followed volleyball my entire life we must know each other. Who are you my friend? Were you a legendary volleyball player? Do you currently coach at a school?

I'm not going to put any names out there right now. It's too early.

Hint: The school with the opening had a talented freshman class this year. This is the only confirmed opening. Three sources tell me the school is considering going after a big name coach. Multiple sources tell me other schools will have openings.

vballfan1234

If I knew who you were I could be persuaded to give you some additional information off the record. What's your email address my friend?

P.S. The information you provided about Notre Dame is accurate.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 11:32 AM
  • I agree that the word legendary in this area is in retirement. I also knew the Notre Dame scholarship was unheard of. But I disagree on two things: 1. Blogs are for entertainment, so let the curiousities(sp)roll w/ or w/o names 2. no off the record hints, drawmules! PS I can't think of a freshman standout!!

-- Posted by freefaller on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 1:15 PM
  • I agree Hoffman is currently the best active coach in the area. She as a state title, another final four appearance or two, and several districts, etc. Even though she's still young, I'd say she's approaching legendary.

As for ND and the scholarships, no need in going there since it is always rumor based. The ND situation is what it is and they are what they are. And they are also a lot of fun to compete against.

-- Posted by 4dakidz on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 2:20 PM
  • I agree Hoffman is currently the best active coach in the area. She as a state title, another final four appearance or two, and several districts, etc. Even though she's still young, I'd say she's approaching legendary.

As for ND and the scholarships, no need in going there since it is always rumor based. The ND situation is what it is and they are what they are. And they are also a lot of fun to compete against.

-- Posted by 4dakidz on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 2:20 PM
  • Hoffman is indeed a legendary coach. Here is her recent history at Bell City.

2009 -- won district tournament; lost to Lesterville in Elite Eight.

2008 -- won district tournament; finished third in the state.

2007 -- won district tournament; lost to Leopold in Sweet Sixteen.

2006 -- won district tournament; finished fourth in the state.

2005 -- won district tournament; finished third in the state.

2004 -- won district tournament; lost to Gideon in Elite Eight.

2003 -- won district tournament; won state title.

Are there any other coaches in Southeast Missouri that have won their district the last seven years and been to state four times?

Maybe she is on the move maybe she is not. But she is hands down the best coach in Southeast Missouri. There is another coach or two that may soon have statistics comparable to Hoffman. The question is are these "future legends" on the move as well? Could a legend be replacing a future legend? Could a future legend be returning to her home town?

Will a school with a great volleyball tradition do what it takes to put another picture on the wall in their gymnaisum? Only time will tell. But 4dakidz I hope you do what it takes to get the big name coach. Good luck!

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 3:15 PM
  • drawmules,

Thanks for providing the specifics on Hoffman. She's first class all the way. But I'm evidently not whom you think. I'm just a curious HS sports fan and have no official afilliation with any school at this time.

-- Posted by 4dakidz on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 5:42 PM
  • Bell City,Leopold, Notre Dame and Scott City have all won several district titles since 2003. There are many area coaches that have spent a lot of time and hard work developing their programs. It is not that hard to have one strong year, but to have winning seasons on a consistent basis is difficult. These schools with winning seasons every year have great coaches...all of them.

By the way, I'm glad that someone else picked up on the ND scholarship thing being a bunch of crap. I don't think people should be able to mention particular kids and coaches by name and say things about them that are NOT true without even signing their own names. Gossip can be a dangerous thing...

-- Posted by Volley coach on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 5:55 PM
  • volleygirl5

I will guarantee that one Stoddard County school has an opening. This is not gossip.

Several coaches from this area may be interested in the opening. If a coach takes the opening it could create another opening. We could see a domino effect. I would love to learn more about which coaches are interested in voluntarily leaving their programs for a better job. If anyone has additonal information please pass it along.

I agree with freefaller "Blogs are for entertainment, so let the curiousities(sp)roll w/ or w/o names."

We all want to know what is going to happen. Are we going to hear about shocking coaching changes this offseason?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 7:25 PM
  • the only school that I know of that had an outstanding freshman class was, Advance. I thought their best hitter this year was a freshman. They dominated last year as 8th graders, even though that doesnt always transfer to the varsity level. I could see Advance doing something like, as they have done it in the past with basketball.

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 7:26 PM
  • Just to clarify the Stoddard County school with the confirmed opening is not Bell City.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 7:34 PM
  • From what I have heard, no doubt, drawmules is definately on to something big.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 7:39 PM
  • vballfan1234

Outstanding freshmen class. The school is not Advance.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 7:50 PM
  • Sorry. It's definitely.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 7:53 PM
  • LOL my friends on semoball don't take hints very well.

Hint 1: The school has an outstanding freshmen class.

Hint 2: Will a school with a great volleyball tradition do what it takes to put another picture on the wall in their gymnaisum?

Hint 3: I will guarantee that one Stoddard County school has an opening. This is not gossip.

Hint 4: Just to clarify the Stoddard County school with the confirmed opening is not Bell City.

Hint 5: The school is not Advance.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 7:55 PM
  • You mean the pictures on the wall like the ones at Bernie?

-- Posted by Volley coach on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 9:08 PM
  • volleygirl 5

The next time I play Southeast Missouri Volleyball Trivia Pursuit I want you on my team.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 9:51 PM
  • well, it's bernie. dont know why you just couldnt say that to begin with.

Also, which "legendary" will go all the way down there????

Unless Zole(spelling) comes out of retirement. Ritter won't drive that far, and i don't see him moving down there with a business in cape. I don't see hoffman going there, she lives in Leopold and her husband works in that area. One of the two would have to drive over an hour to work. Plus i don't see her leaving the Johnson girl, as i think she has the potential to be one of the best players to come out of this area in a long time.

Although i'm clearly speculating here, i hope you're not talking about jennings from Scott City. I don't know if she is from bernie or not, plus she is DEFINITELY NOT a legendary coach. Sorry but you cannot become a legendary coach in 2 years.

So, you've told us the school, give me 5-10 hints so we can all guess the coach. otherwise, why start the thread.

by the way, if it is bernie, good luck drawmules a.k.a. coach rogers.

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 9:53 PM
  • vballfan1234

I am not a coach. I am currently attending college. I don't have the name of the replacement. I was hoping to learn the name of the replacement. Spectualation about the potential replacement exists. However, I do not have anything definite. I do know other big name coaches could retire or be on the move. Some of these coaches are also from Stoddard County.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 10:03 PM
  • Has anyone heard who might take the opening at Bernie?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 10:05 PM
  • well, i don't know who will go there, especially a legendary coach. IMO there are no legendary coaches in this area that are still coaching. I really don't see Ritter getting back into coaching as he looks happy with usav and such.

I really don't see Erin leaving Bell City and i would be extremely surprised to see Jennings leave Scott City, as they still have a lot of talent on that team. Davis isn't leaving Leopold as her kids go there and she goes there, and they consistantly have good to great talent every year. I doubt ND's coach would leave to go to Bernie either.

When talking about Bernie you have to take into consideration the distance it is from a lot of the other good teams in the area. For just about any coach to go there they would have to move or have a really long commute.

Bernie's Freshman class was good, but i would not say outstanding or would i be willing to say that they look like they have an extremely dominant player in that class. I believe that Advance's Freshman class was the best in the SCAA this year. There are two or three players on that squad that could be scary good, one of them was the best hitter on the Varsity this year.

I'm sure they will get a good coach, if rogers is leaving....what about their assistant coach.

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 10:56 PM
  • vballfan1234

You are more confident about some of those coaches staying put than I am. The only thing I will say is I have not heard anything about Davis leaving Leopold. The other schools you have mentioned are rumored to have changes. There are also several Stoddard County schools that we have not discussed that are rumored to have changes. Some of the rumors I have received are from reliable sources within the vb programs.

I have followed Bernie volleyball for years. If I had my choice I would take Hoffman. She is my hero when it comes to active volleyball coaches. I would give anything to see her on the bench in Bernie next year. I really like Scott City's coach. But convincing her to leave Scott City and return to her home town would be difficult. She has a great deal of talent at Scott City. While we would all love to see the return of the legendary Bill Zoll, who won fives state titles at Bernie in the 1990's, the wish seems unrealistic. He really has nothing left to prove.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 11:22 PM
  • I would be extremely surprised to see Coach Hoffman go all the way down to Bernie b/c of a Freshman class, when she has IMO the best ALL-AROUND player in the area. That is not something that you come accross any day of the week. Having good classes is one thing, but when you have the best player on the court at every game, you always have a chance to win. The young lady also looks like she is easy to coach as well, as she always has a smile on her face whether she is playing well or not(not that i have seen her not play well often).

Was Rogers fired or did he quit????

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 10:13 AM
  • vballfan1234

The future is at Advance and Bernie in Class 1. Bernie has a great junior high program and freshmen class. Advance has a great junior varsity. The phrase "all the way down to Bernie" does not apply to every coach. Coaches like to win. It's hard to win with one outstanding player. In my opinion, Bell City will have less talent next year than this year. There will probably be openings at other schools besides Bernie. I think you are going to be surprised. There are other suprising coaching moves that have nothing to do with Hoffman going anywhere. But I think she would look good in a royal blue jacket next season.

What town are you from?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 10:55 AM
  • Why wouldn't the assistant at Bernie get the coaching job? She has already worked with the players. That would make the most sense.

-- Posted by Volley coach on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 11:53 AM
  • Are you certain that Bell City will have their best player next year?

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 11:56 AM
  • if she was gonna go somewhere, i'm sure she would have already went. but i could be wrong.

Also, unless her whole family moves or it's proved that she moved for athletic purposes she would have to sit out her Junior year.

It's about a 50/50 chance when it comes to transfers on whether they get to play or not the next year. A lot of stuff has to fall into place.

Drawmules, i'm from southeast missouri

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 12:03 PM
  • I know your from Southeast Missouri. What school. Bell City???

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 12:06 PM
  • vballfan1234

The report I received indicated Bernie will have a new slate of coaches next season. Nobody is coming back as of right now. But things change.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 12:09 PM
  • Hoffman has definitely proved herself as a decent coach,, And her first year coaching was at Advance.... And speaking of the Royal Blue jacket were you talkin Bernie or Leopold???

-- Posted by semofan72 on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 3:40 PM
  • Leopold does not have an opening. Bernie has an opening and their fans are really hungry. One thing Hoffman would get at Bernie is hungry fans and hungry players. She has won so much at Bell City the fanbase has almost lost interest in volleyball. The fanbase at Bernie is remarkable when you win!

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 3:56 PM
  • A lot of fans are good when you are winning...

-- Posted by Volley coach on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 4:29 PM
  • volleygirl 5

Yes, fans are good when you win. But some schools have larger followings than others. When a coach goes to a school and starts winning they usually see an increase in the number of supporters. After a few years, the fan support decreases even if you continue to win. The Atlanta Braves baseball team is a great example of this. They couldn't even sell out their playoff games at the end of their consecutive division title streak. Tonny LaRussa has indicated it can be counterproductive to a program for the same coach to stay in one location for more than five to seven seasons. I think sometimes it is best for the very best coaches to change programs occasionally. It is hard to remain effective in one program for more than five to seven seasons.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 4:51 PM
  • I disagree...look at Leopold. They have had very few coaching changes and have year in and year out the best area volleyball fans. They have built a strong tradition and they are proud of their teams and come out to support them every year. By the way, Tony LaRussa is an idiot.

-- Posted by Volley coach on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 6:56 PM
  • Thanks everyone! I figured it out, but only because the school

was named & I have knowledge of events in vb that occurred.

I hope I'm wrong, but I know the legendary coach that better replace the future legend or I will be upset! Drawmules-I'm right aren't I?

-- Posted by freefaller on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 7:49 PM
  • freefaller

I know the scenario you are talking about. But if you get the legendary coach and we get the future legendary coach we will both be very happy.

I don't care if we get the legend or the future legend. But I hope we get one of them.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 9:43 PM
  • freefaller

Maybe you know more than I do. Have you heard any confirmed reports about what might happen?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 9:46 PM
  • By the way the future legend is my second hero when it comes to active vb coaches. She would look good in a royal blue jacket as well. I will take the legend or the future legend. But please lord give us one of them.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Nov 16, 2009, at 10:01 PM
  • Is Coach Rodgers leaving the district or just the volleyball position?

-- Posted by officerrodfarva on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 1:34 PM
  • Since your not a coach drawmules,, have you ever been an assisstant?

-- Posted by semofan72 on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 1:41 PM
  • officerrodfarva

We have met before on the basketball discussion forums. I bet I know you. If I had the experience coaching volleyball that Rodgers has I would definitely consider my options. With the number of vb openings that will likely be available next season, and with his winning percentage at Bernie he could easily land a coaching position at another school. There aren't many free agents with eight years of coaching experience. He has my endorsement.

semofan72

I'm not an assistant yet. But you never know what might happen my friend.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 2:31 PM
  • I have my doubts about you knowing me, but maybe. We have had some discussion regarding basketball. I am just a regional high school fan with ties to many districts, but Bernie is not on that list.

-- Posted by officerrodfarva on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 2:56 PM
  • Sorry that my comment got everyone riled up on here but that was just what I heard from some people in Bell City about Jasmine. I agree, she is one of, if not THE, best players in the area and any school would be lucky to have her on the court. You should see her when she's on back row - she can hit the ball clear down in front of the 10-foot line. She's a great all-around player and has a wonderful personality as well from what I'm told. She's a perfect role model for all aspiring volleyball players and high school athletes in general.

Any school would be blessed to have Erin Hoffman as a coach. She did great things for both Meadow Heights and Bell City. Leopold is ALWAYS good in volleyball. Even on their "down" years, they are always above average and consistently one of the top teams in the region. They start these girls out young here and volleyball has become a way of life here. They will (or should) have a similarly impressive season next year. Although they are losing their star hitter Kirsten Thele and setter Lauren Seiler, they still have great hitters in juniors Abby Landewee and Mackenzie Beel.

About Scott City, I wouldn't think Haley Jennings would go back to her home town especially considering the talent she has at Scott City. It may sound selfish but I think good coaches go (or stay) where they see talent and the potential to win (not implying that they don't have talent at Bernie). Bernie did have a splendid little freshman (whose name I think is Chelsea; not sure of her last name, only remember her first name because when we played them I thought to myself, Wow that little girl is good and has the same name as my sister). As for coaches staying where they can win, take Leanne Huffman for example when she was the coach at Leopold and Zalma, her alma mater, had openings for a coach and would have loved to have her as a coach, but she knew that there was more talent at Leopold and that's where she stayed until she retired.

As for "legendary" coaches retiring, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Karen Hazel at Puxico who I KNOW for a fact is retiring soon (I know because our coach went over and asked her and she said she had a couple years left and then is going to take her retirement). That woman is an institution at Puxico and high school volleyball in general. She was the coach at Puxico when my mom played back in the early 80s! You can say what you want about the woman personally but I think that shows true dedication and a love of the sport to stay at the same school for so long and I really admire her for doing so and producing some great squads there.

Drawmules, I think I'm slowly beginning to realize who you may be...

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 3:06 PM
  • We should see each other soon officerrodfarva. If a school you have ties to is interested in Rodgers I give him my endorsement. Like I said, in today's volleyball world there aren't many free agents with eight years of coaching experience. I think he would be a great addition to several programs in Southeast Missouri. I'll see you soon my friend. Maybe at the Riverbend Classic. Maybe I'll buy you a hotdog.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 3:08 PM
  • semocrat08

I agree about Hazel. Anyone that has coached as long as Hazel is a legendary coach. We will all really miss her when she retires. The Stoddard County Tournament will not be the same without her. Her team is competitive almost every year. She has had many winning seasons at Puxico.

semocrat08

Next year I will take you to eat at Taco Bell during the SEMO Tournament if you attend it. Then we can finally meet each other!

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 3:16 PM
  • I will be at the Riverbend for at least one day. I am considering the Current River shootout for at least one of those days as well. Then the Oran Invitational that Monday and the onslaught of bball begins and my wife complains of being a bball widow.

And you will be making lots of friends if you keep offering to buy meals for everyone. LOL

-- Posted by officerrodfarva on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 3:35 PM
  • Oh, drawmules, Taco Bell and I get along very well indeed. I just may have to take you up on that offer.

Vballfan1234, when you said: "There are two or three players on that squad that could be scary good, one of them was the best hitter on the Varsity this year" (Advance), to whom were you referring? If you're talking about Liza Gray, I agree. I thought she was one of their best players this season (and I'm not just saying that because she's my cousin) and for only being a freshman, she could do great things for the squad at Advance. She has a great approach and is really good at hitting line. Advance also had a great little setter and aggressive player in senior Sara Mace whom I will really miss seeing play next season. I remember watching her play as a freshman the year my sister was a senior and she never ceased to amaze me, and I was proud when she received All-District honors (although I personally think she should have gotten First Team) because good setters often go unnoticed and are often overshadowed by powerful hitters. She had an amazing serve, too. Since this topic is about coaches, I think Dana Below has done great things for the volleyball program at Advance, which has always been a bigger basketball town, but she's done some great work with the girls there if their JV squad is any indication. Aimee Simmers and Montanna Ford are both standout players on the team (and I'm not just saying that because their parents used to be my teachers in high school). You can tell that volleyball is something that Dana cares very passionately about. I believe her daughter played on the squad this year and her parents still play on the co-ed volleyball league in Cape.

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 3:51 PM
  • Officerrodfarva

if you don't ever get married you can go to all the basketball and volleyball games your heart desires.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 5:52 PM
  • Sorry Drawmules, I was wrong thank God! I just went straight to the horses mouth cause I got SO curious. Good luck to you in the legend quest. I know a group of girls that are very blessed in the coaching dept & hopefully will capitalize on it again!

-- Posted by freefaller on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 6:17 PM
  • Rumor is that Dexter may also be looking for a new head coach, perhaps even someone with experience to take over both middle school and high school programs.

-- Posted by ballmom2009 on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 9:07 PM
  • ballmom2009

I have also heard the rumors on Dexter. Perhaps Dexter and Bernie will trade coaches. I'm sure Dexter offers a competitive salary.

Hate to hear the confirmed report by freefaller.

LOL freefaller can you go talk to the horse in Bell City tommorow?

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Nov 17, 2009, at 9:23 PM
  • Karen Hazel is not a legendary coach, she has just been coaching for a long time.

Just b/c you do something longer than everyone else, does not make you a legend, it just means you've been doing it for a long time.

How many district, sectional, quarterfinals, and especially state titles has she won there?????? What's the average amount of years she wins districts. I've been following volleyball for almost 20 years now and they have never had I honestly cannot remember them getting out of districts in that time. That's not legendary.

Let's be completely honest here, if Erin Hoffman or someone like Carl Ritter came in and took over that program would they be better in just 2 or three years. I would think so. Their teams play faster and move the ball faster.

What is her overall record for the last 20 or so years???? To be a legend you have to get deep into the playoffs every year and win more than 60% of your games over a long stretch of time.

I will admit that it's hard to win at Puxico, but it would be at any school that has the same refs for every game every year.

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 7:59 AM
  • How great would that be Coach Hoffman at Notre Dame??

-- Posted by semofan72 on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 10:55 AM
  • Hoffman at Notre Dame might be more realistic than some might think. But you have to have an opening before you hire a coach. Bernie has an opening. Does anyone know if Bernie has contacted coaches at other schools? Are there any unnamed sources out there willing to leak information to the semoball.com forums?

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 11:51 AM
  • I bet Hoffman is not going to Bernie....

-- Posted by semofan72 on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 12:05 PM
  • semofan72

Who is going to Bernie? Where is Hoffman going? Is Dexter's coach coming to Bernie?

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 12:37 PM
  • Hoffman i believe will stay at Bell City unless a big school gets in contact with her or Leopold, and she would not try to root out Davis because they are freinds and played together at semo..

-- Posted by semofan72 on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 12:52 PM
  • Stoddard county coaches usually do not move to another conf. school do they?? I bet Hoffman would get Dexter rolling though...

-- Posted by semofan72 on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 1:00 PM
  • semofan72

I don't think Davis is going anywhere. There has been discussion on this forum about Davis but I think she is one coach that is staying put at Leopold.

vballfan1234

Part of the formula for being a legend is longevity. Hazel has the longevity at Puxico. She is a true legend. Volleyball in Stoddard County won't be the same without her when she retires. Puxico would be a great school to coach at when Hazel retires. When is she retiring?

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 1:16 PM
  • so if i coach for 25 years at the same school and i dont win any district titles and end up with a .500 record (not comparing me and her just making a point), i can be considered a legend. If that makes me a legend, what monoker would you give to the coaches who won over 60% of their games, won multiple district and state appearances??????

You have to have some kind of criteria. Coach Hazel does not do anything special at Puxico, when they have talent they have good seasons, when they don't have talent they don't have good seasons. A good coach, or legend, will have good seasons every year. They develop all of their talent so that even when they don't have the best players they still have good seasons.

-- Posted by vballfan1234 on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 3:19 PM
  • vballfan1234

She is a legend because of her longevity. How many coaches do you know that have coached volleyball that long? I'm not sure that I can think of a coach anywhere in Southeast Missouri that has coached that long. Basketball coaches yes. Volleyball coaches no.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 3:37 PM
  • Anyone to coach that long and put with the gossip games and be strong is a legend and will always be remembered she just loves volleyball.

-- Posted by semofan72 on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 3:38 PM
  • semofan72

I agree. Hazel is one of the true heroes in high school sports.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Nov 18, 2009, at 4:58 PM
  • Lol Drawmules! That Bell City horse is a horse of another color. I've also been following vb for years as you know and have never heard of Hazel. Only loud or winning coaches catch my attention.

-- Posted by freefaller on Thu, Nov 19, 2009, at 5:44 PM
  • Has anyone heard anything about who might take the coaching job at Bernie? I encourage all coaches that are interested in coaching at a school that makes volleyball a top priority to apply for the job. Bernie has a great tradition. They won five state titles in the 1990s. They do not have fall softball or girls basketball. Volleyball is a top priority at Bernie.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 1:24 AM
  • I heard Dexter's vb coach resigned recently.

-- Posted by officerrodfarva on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 4:02 PM
  • semosportsweb.com is reporting Erin Hoffman is leaving Bell City. See link http://www.semosportsweb.com/highschools/2009-10miscellaneous/coachingmoves.html

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 11:26 PM
  • Hoffman has not resigned from Bell City,, this is fact...

-- Posted by semofan72 on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 5:00 PM
  • According to semosportsweb.com Bell City has a coaching change in the vb program.

Crader I know you probably don't want to debate this topic but has the Southeast Missourian received a confirmed report on a coaching change at Bell City?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 5:08 PM
  • semosportsweb.com is no longer reporting Erin Hoffman is leaving Bell City. Her name was removed from the list today. See link http://www.semosportsweb.com/highschools/2009-10miscellaneous/coachingmoves.html

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 12:18 AM
  • This is why you should stick with semoball, drawmules.

:)

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 12:42 AM
  • oh snap, that just happened

-- Posted by semoballfan1 on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 8:04 AM
  • LOL Crader this reminds me of the time CBS could not decide if Gore or Bush won Florida. First they called it for Gore. Then they called it for Bush.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 9:17 AM
  • Does anybody know if the legendary Leanne Huffman is interested in returning to the bench? Did she win state titles when she coaches at Leopold or played at Zalma? It is my understanding she is currently employed as a counselor in the Cape Girardeau area.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 11:38 AM
  • Typo on the last response but I think the question is clear enough.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 11:43 AM
  • i'm pretty sure you can rule that out, she had a pretty good gig at Leopold, so i doubt there is a comeback in store

-- Posted by semoballfan1 on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 11:44 AM
  • I've been wondering the same thing, drawmules. She's a counselor at Jackson. She won two state championships as a coach at Leopold (1996-1997 and 2002-2003 when Leopold had a dynamite player in Holly Jansen) and while she was in high school, Zalma won the state title in 1990-1991 (defeated Osceola) and took second place in 1991-1992 and 1992-1993 (lost to New Haven both of those years).

I don't think Sandy is leaving Leopold and I doubt Leanne would want to coach at Zalma (although we would gladly welcome her with open arms) especially if she lives in the Cape area, but we should have a really good team next season. Our star player is playing club volleyball with a Jackson team this year again. I'm already counting down the days until high school volleyball season starts!

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Fri, Dec 4, 2009, at 4:29 PM
  • Me too semocrat8!!

-- Posted by freefaller on Sat, Dec 5, 2009, at 8:47 AM
  • My daughter plays for Karen Hazel, and she is retiring, from her own words, after next year.

-- Posted by dancediva on Thu, Dec 17, 2009, at 10:12 AM
  • Coach Hazel is an institution at Puxico. They will sure miss her when she dose retire.

-- Posted by farminmarsh on Thu, Dec 17, 2009, at 3:13 PM
  • Hazel is a legendary coach. I cannot imagine what volleyball at Puxico will be like without her.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Dec 17, 2009, at 3:28 PM
  • It is my understanding that coach Hoffman is leaving caoching to make pickle roll-ups professionally.

-- Posted by picklerollup73 on Sun, Dec 27, 2009, at 4:49 PM
  • She can't do that are you serious? I know her pickle roll ups are good but,, I will never watch volleyball again she has been the light in my life. I'm so upset I hope that's not true.. Does she plan to sell her pickle roll ups on the Internet or will they be sold at stores??

-- Posted by semofan72 on Sun, Dec 27, 2009, at 6:13 PM
  • Ummm . . . if this is true this is would definitely make for an interesting story. But I really don't believe this is a true story. Until I read about this in a local newspaper or Crader writes a story about it on semoball.com I am going to disregard this report

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Dec 27, 2009, at 6:15 PM
  • semofan72

She really makes pickle roll ups. What in the world is a pickle roll up?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Dec 27, 2009, at 6:21 PM
  • This forum has been date for a few weeks. What's the latest? Does anyone have additional information?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Jan 11, 2010, at 4:11 PM
  • I have know idea what I meant to say in the above post. Let's try this again. Has anyone heard any addition information about volleyball coaching changes?

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Jan 11, 2010, at 5:30 PM
  • "additional" Typing posts on an iPhone is so difficult sometimes. I cannot wait until all the schools get WiFi so I can take my computer to the games and do away with this expensive phone plan.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Jan 11, 2010, at 5:34 PM
  • Haven't heard any new news yet, drawmules. I wish we knew the truth as to whether Erin is leaving Bell City or not. Have you heard if they hired anyone down at Bernie yet? I applied for the job but I knew I wouldn't get it, ha. That and the girls at Zalma didn't want me to leave :)

Drawmules, are you going to be following junior high volleyball season?

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Tue, Jan 12, 2010, at 12:22 AM
  • semocrat08

I will probably attend more high school baseball games than junior high volleyball games.

I have no comment regarding the volleyball coaching vacancy in Bernie. Here is the link to an article that discusses the volleyball coaching vacancy at Bernie http://www.dailystatesman.com/story/1595793.html Feel free to draw your own conclusions after you read the article.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Jan 12, 2010, at 1:54 AM
  • Realible source Hoffman is putting applications out for high school history teaching position, and volleyball coach!!!!!!

Take it to the bank

-- Posted by semofan72 on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 5:14 PM
  • Where Dexter? The last Time I checked Bernie didn't have a history opening? I've heard Hoffman is interested in coaching at Bernie and I have heard she is not interested. I know Hoffman was considering coaching an AAU team that has two Bernie players this spring.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 7:10 PM
  • She us coaching 1 player from Bernie in a club team,, imagine what program she would deliver at Dexter,

-- Posted by semofan72 on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 11:02 PM
  • semofan72

What school did she apply at? Yea she might deliver a good program at Dexter but it is easier to win state titles at a Class 1 school.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 11:09 PM
  • Bottom line, Bernie has needed to clean house for awhile. They really need to stop getting relatives of the girls' to be the coaches of the team, and focus more on keeping the girls busy and have some sort of conduct regulations in place. For years, the Bernie volleyball system as been corrupt. I know that every school has their own scandals, but they really have got to hold these kids up to some rules and quit sweeping everything under the rug.

Basically, Im saying that this volleyball fan is ready for a change. Shake things up down here, and get volleyball back to where it use to be.

-- Posted by tori07 on Thu, Jan 21, 2010, at 8:59 PM
  • I have literally seen her pickle rollups. I wouldn't be surprised to see a move in that direction.

-- Posted by coachcmiller on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 5:21 PM
  • So clueless about the pickle rollups . . . .

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 7:01 PM
  • Sources tell Bernie is getting closer to hiring a volleyball coach. I am unsure if Dexter has hired a coach. What's the latest volleyball fans?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Feb 14, 2010, at 12:38 AM
  • Sources tell "me" Bernie is getting closer to hiring a volleyball coach. I am unsure if Dexter has hired a coach. What's the latest volleyball fans?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Feb 14, 2010, at 12:39 AM
  • Multiple sources tell me Bernie is extremely close to hiring a volleyball coach. I know the names of several of the potential canidates. However, I'm going to keep the information off the forums. But I am confident Bernie will hire a volleyball coach sooner than later.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 10:49 AM

Draw, have you been to the volleyball section @ Mosports? Interesting thread there.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 8:45 PM
  • No Larry Doby. Does it involved Bernie volleyball. Sources tell me Bernie is fixing to hire a coach with great credentials. It is not a coach from the Stoddard County Conference.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 10:28 PM
  • Thank for the info Larry Doby. I don't want to comment on what you are talking about. It's too controversial. Not that controversy normally limits my comments but I want to stay away from this issue.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Mar 5, 2010, at 10:47 PM
  • good idea

-- Posted by Volley coach on Sun, Mar 7, 2010, at 12:13 PM
  • Multiple sources have informed me Bernie has hired a volleyball coach.

I cannot confirm the name of the coach with 100% confidence. However, an unnamed source told me the new coach may be Stephanie Hart-Reynolds. Reynolds is currently a senior at Williams Baptist College in Walnut Ridge, Ark. She attended high school at Morrilton High School, Ark. Sources tell me she is an outstanding player that is currently majoring in physical education at Williams Baptist College.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Mar 9, 2010, at 5:11 PM
  • I can now confirm my earlier post regarding the name with 100% confidence.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Mar 10, 2010, at 12:21 AM
  • So is the Bell City coach leaving or not??

-- Posted by semovolleyball on Fri, Apr 16, 2010, at 4:47 PM
  • Good question. I don't know. Bernie has already hired a coach with great credentials to take over their program.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 16, 2010, at 5:36 PM
  • So what is the deal with Bell City this year. IS the coach still there? Did Johnson go to ND????

-- Posted by semovolleyball on Tue, Jun 22, 2010, at 3:34 PM
  • rljohnson93

It is getting close enough to volleyball season someone should be able to answer your question but I have no idea.

Where are the volleyball people in the know?

-- Posted by deervalley on Wed, Jul 28, 2010, at 3:03 PM
  • Johnson is NOT going to ND. For sure. Boy, you people were "right on" with your inside information. You were wrong about Johnson and the Bell City coach. Before you start spreading this stuff that's not true...next time check with a reliable source.

-- Posted by Volley coach on Thu, Jul 29, 2010, at 10:13 AM
  • I believe Bell City is the only volleyball program in Southeast Missouri with seven consecutive district titles.

I predict there will be at least one team in districts that will present a significant challenge to Bell City.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jul 31, 2010, at 12:34 AM
  • Leopold has EIGHT consecutive district titles. They have won their district since 2002-2003 and finished in second place in 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 to Meadow Heights.

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Mon, Aug 2, 2010, at 3:54 AM
  • Kitty Purry

You are correct. Leopold has eight consecutive district titles. It will be interesting to see if Leopold can continue this streak this season. Advance and Zalma should provide great competition for Leopold in districts.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Mon, Aug 2, 2010, at 12:04 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: