Semoball

High School Volleyball Forum: Notre Dame or Scott City?

Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 2:29 PM:

Two of the best high school volleyball teams in the area will play tonight. Notre Dame will travel to Scott City.

I haven't seen Scott City play this year but know they have Southeast Missourian player of the year Katie Hogan and Micah Simpson back to go along with new coach Erin Hoffman, who built an brilliant resume at Bell City.

I was impressed by Notre Dame's performance against Perryville on Saturday even though it eventually lost a two close games. And you can pretty much bank on the Bulldogs getting better as the year goes along since that's been a noticeable pattern the last couple seasons I've gotten to follow the them.

Even now, Notre Dame doesn't really seem to have any weak spots on the court at any given time. Middle Kate Edwards was especially quick on her middle attacks Saturday, so it would be great to see her and Hogan face off in the front row since Hogan is also a player that can call for the quick set often.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Which team do you think will win tonight?

Replies (42)

• Notre Dame, but not by much. It could really go either way.

-- Posted by Jacksmith9 on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 3:43 PM
  • When I typed Micah earlier, I meant Mikah. Apologies.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 6:34 PM
  • I wish I was there.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 6:47 PM
  • The teams are warming up. The SC students are well represented, but ND has brought a huge student section to the game. They fill up on of the end sections of the SC gym from top to bottom. Should be a great atmosphere.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 6:49 PM
  • SC leads Game 1 13-8. Timeout ND.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:08 PM
  • SC takes timeout leading 23-15. ND getting caught on SC's second touch a lot in Game 1.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:20 PM
  • SC wins Game 1 25-16.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:22 PM
  • Game 2 tied at 15. My cell reception had gone away, making updates tough.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:34 PM
  • ND leads Game 2 20-8. Timeout SC.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:40 PM
  • ND wins Game 25-21.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:41 PM
  • I meant 20-18 in the earlier update.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:42 PM
  • What we have here is a momentum shift.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:44 PM
  • SC leads Game 3 15-13.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 7:59 PM
  • SC leads Game 3 21-18.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 8:01 PM
  • SC wins 25-19.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 8:33 PM

Good

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 8:33 PM
  • I wonder if ND will drop SC now.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 8:44 PM
  • Witness43

Why would that happen?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 8:57 PM
  • No. Did you see the JV game? SC has nothing the next few years.

-- Posted by jack79 on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:01 PM
  • See my predictions for this weekend's volleyball tourney at this link: http://semoball.com/blogs/1541/entry/43359/

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:14 PM
  • Cuz SC beat them bad in '04 and ND dropped them the very next day, citing the rivalry was "too heated." It was when Darrin Scott was the coach. I heard Brother David still won't them them play in basketball.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:17 PM
  • Interesting thoughts Witness43.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:21 PM
  • They're facts, not thoughts.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:32 PM
  • i'm happy we don't play scott city in basketball. with the teams we had from the time we dropped them to now, it wouldn't have even been a game and all the scott city players would've just gone out to try an injure nd players, rather then play a basketball game. from what i was told (also a thought, not a fact) there was a fist fight during the game and nd did indeed drop the game the next day. good. like i said before, theres no reason to play a game where one team has no chance so they decide to go after players on the other team. thats not what a rivalry should be about. also, newsflash to scott city folk, cuz i know you gear your sports seasons to beating notre dame, but we seriously don't consider you guys rivals. at all.

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:50 PM
  • Newsflash, ND started the "fight" because SC was beating them by 35 at halftime. Nice try though.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:55 PM
  • and also congrats to sc for the win tonight. they are the best team in the area and expect them to win state. nd girls fought hard and played well at in a hard place to play against a great team. simpson and hogan are monsters and i assume they will be playing at a d1 college next year. I'm sure both of these teams will be making the long drive to the show me center in a few weeks for their respective final fours

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:55 PM
  • And yeah you're right, SC does gear their sports season around beating ND. They play them in two sports. Please, don't flatter yourself.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 9:57 PM
  • I'm sorry, but the fact that sc concentrates there entire season on beating notre dame is downright pathetic. we aren't in your district or class in anything and it would seem to me that a good coach would concentrate on winning a district championship in their sport rather than beating a team not in your class that doesn't consider you a rival. it sends the wrong message to a team when you say, "we're good enough to beat notre dame this year." they should be talking about contending for championships and winning their district, not beating "big bad notre dame."

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 10:12 PM
  • Once again, don't flatter yourself, SC doesn't think like that. They play you in 2 sports. You lost, it's ok, just take it and move on.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 10:22 PM
  • i know people who play softball for sc and their coach told them that all of nd's team last year was seniors (not true, we had one starting senior) and that this was their year. she based a preseason pep talk on beating notre dame, a non district team that doesn't consider you a rival. and I'm not saying any of this because you beat us, as i said earlier, congrats to sc because they played better tonight and had the two best players on the court. no sour apples, here, just telling you what i know. scott city focusses their year on beating ND.

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 10:26 PM
  • You're being excessively negative to someone who wasn't really being negative at all, Witness.

Can we all be friends? Or at least call a truce? Scott City and Notre Dame played a great volleyball match Wednesday night.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 10:32 PM
  • Who will win the rematch between Scott City and Notre Dame if it happens in this weekend's tournament?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 10:37 PM
  • dustin, i was about to post that this will probably happen again this weekend. honestly, i wouldn't bet either way but i would probably pick sc to win. nd played great tonight for the most part and still came up short. it would take an off game by sc for anyone in this area to beat them because nobody has anybody that can match up with hogan and simpson.

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 10:41 PM
  • V,B

What about Perryville?

Feel free to join the discussion under my blog.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 10:58 PM
  • Can Scott City beat Perryville? Feel free to start that debate as well under my blog.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Sep 7, 2011, at 11:00 PM
  • Truce.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 6:42 AM
  • where did basketball come into this.... who cares about basketball.... this is Volleyball season... Being from SC and having a daughter thats playing Volleyball now... I'm proud of the way that both teams represented themselves on the court last night... neither team gave up... it was a great volleyball game...

-- Posted by sportsguy007 on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 4:05 PM
  • Hey Dustin, How about this... Can Perryville beat Scott City?

-- Posted by sportsguy007 on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 4:08 PM
  • Yes. But the matchup could go either way if it materializes. I think it could be the game of the tournament.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 4:28 PM
  • ND did play a good game. The newspaper titled the win 'rival' last year. SC will beat them again due to the lack of height or skill at the net to shut down the all-staters.

-- Posted by freefaller on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 9:06 PM
  • ND had too many errors, seemed to lack confidence at times. Scott City played more consistently and is very talented & well coached. Very exciting match to watch. Rematch would be awesome. ND is very deep on varsity bench & JV team is strong, future looks bright!

-- Posted by badger on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 10:02 PM
  • hey Mcfall...WHERES YOUR TRUCK AT???

-- Posted by superbub on Fri, Sep 9, 2011, at 1:48 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: