Semoball

High School Volleyball Forum: KFVS disses volleyball

Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 9:11 PM:

Am I the only person that does not like the way KFVS Sports shows high school volleyball scores? I mean really, showing two games to one tells you little about the contest. Was it a close, exciting match? You know, 27-25,26-24, or was it ho-hum, 25-12, 25-10? Come on, put the game scores up. It's easy with computers.

Todd and Chad don't care. Especially Todd, I feel. But we get a pantload of "Heartland Football Friday". Waaaaaay too much.

Replies (38)

• I definitely agree with you, joefrank78. I despise the way KFVS12 seems to treat volleyball and how they always glorify Heartland Football Friday. Seems a bit sexist to me. I hate the way they show the scores as 2-0 or 2-1; makes them look really lazy. Maybe it's just because Cape Central and a lot of the bigger schools around here aren't very good at volleyball like they are in football so that's why they choose to glorify football and just almost blatantly ignore every other sport, volleyball included. It's supposed to be a regional news channel, not just Cape.

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Fri, Sep 4, 2009, at 11:58 PM
  • Newsflash...Cape Central is not any good at football, and I'm pretty sure Jackson got thumped tonight. Let's just say the sports department at KFVS is awful and leave it at that.

-- Posted by dukefan on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 1:38 AM
  • Most volleyball fans that I know are diehard fans and follow games very close. But in Southeast Missouri high school football and boys basketball are the most popular. I don't think KFVS is all that bad at covering sports it's just that they cover the more popular sports more. It's the same reason ESPN will spend more time talking about the Yankees, Norte Dame, LeBron James and the Lakers. They're more popular, not necessarily better or more interesting, just more popular.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 6:40 AM
  • I agree with the volleyball fans and our school doesn't even sport a volleyball team. I like to see the scores of the games not the match score. I definitely think there should be a little more coverage of girls high school sports, especially since we are blessed to have some of the best volleyball and softball teams in the state right here in Southeast Missouri. Give the girls and coaches their due, they work extremely hard and practice even harder to not get recognition. Believe me there's more than 1 high school sport (football) being played in the fall.

-- Posted by Softballfan1215 on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 7:20 AM
  • I couldn't agree with joefrank78 more. There is slim coverage of "non-football" local high school sports this time of year. Especially girls volleyball. Count the high schools listed at the top of the semoball page, I counted 58. Of the 58 schools, only 15 have a football progarm, if I figured correctly. I realize a lot of people follow football, but most schools here in Southeast Missouri aren't big enough for a football progarm to begin with. I love all high school sports, but feel that fall sports other than football deserve better coverage. I too hate the way KFVS gives the volleyball scores. 2-0 dose not give the game a feeling. 26/24 25/16, scores like that gives an idea of what the players experienced on the court.

-- Posted by farminmarsh on Sat, Sep 5, 2009, at 9:14 PM
  • KFVS is not the only media around here that does not cover girls volleyball near like they should. The Missourian's coverage is minimal at best. I know for a fact that coaches are calling in stats and trying to get their teams a little recognition and all they will put in the paper is one sentence. The SEMO volleyball tournament is coming next weekend and there will be 48 volleyball teams from all over the area. In the last two years, all that the paper has covered were boxscores and the championship game, which most area teams are not in. When the Christmas Basketball tournament with only sixteen teams is played, there is a special section in the sports page just covering the games from each day(pictures and all). If there was a football event with that many teams....we would probably have a city wide media frenzy. It's a bunch of crap...these girls work hard and there are many female student athletes that are achieving great things that go completely unrecognized. It really is a shame.

-- Posted by Volley coach on Sun, Sep 6, 2009, at 12:08 PM
  • well put volleygirl5.

-- Posted by farminmarsh on Sun, Sep 6, 2009, at 12:19 PM
  • I agree with all the posts. A female sport once again takes the back seat. I was also looking for the volleyball team capsules on the SE MO site, but all I could find was boys swimming, softball, and football. Did I miss it or have they forgot that volleyball is a Fall sport. These young ladies deserve some recognition and converage by our local news agencies.

-- Posted by 24hrsports on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 12:43 PM
  • Volleygirl5 brings up an excellent point at calling out the blatant bias the Southeast Missourian has for boys sports over girls sports with the Christmas Basketball Tournament. I understand that they sponsor the tournament so they can probably donate more time and resources to ensuring that the boys get coverage, but the thing I don't understand is why the SEMO Classics isn't front-page news both days? It's a huge volleyball tournament (I don't know of any other tournaments in the area or even in the state that has more teams entered in it) located right up the road from the Southeast Missourian's office and you don't read anything about the tournament until Sunday's paper when they give a minimal and usually lousily written article about the championship game and then there's a section with all the scores. I would like to see a nice article written in Thursday's paper about the tournament - let the public know just how big the tournament is, how long it has been going on, and actually do some investigative journalism and find out what teams are in it, the top favorites in the team (aside from their personal "favorite" Scott City), and even go a step further and maybe have a little box that has the past champions of the tournament. That would really impress me if the Southeast Missourian wrote an article with that much detail and actually gave the tournament (and girls volleyball) the coverage it deserves. As a journalism major, I realize that space is limited in a newspaper but like I said, this is a BIG tournament and the fact that it's hosted right here in Cape Girardeau should be front-page news that a volleyball tournament is bringing 48 teams to the city. That will surely be good for business and generate lots of revenue.

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 1:49 PM
  • Everybody keeps asking why. Girls sports and boys aports other than football and basketball aren't as popular. That's not an insult just fact. I've been to a few girls basketball games and the crowd is nowhere the crowd as boys games and most the people who were there, were parents. I'm not trying to insult girls sports in anyway, but until other sports get as popular as football and boys basketball, they aren't going to get the coverage.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 2:06 PM
  • I too agree with posts here except why is everyone saying that Scott City is a favorite, like that, if it is true, would be a bad thing? Proud of those hard working lady rams and second in state will be a favorite of mine until another southeast team does better. Give credit where credit is due!

-- Posted by freefaller on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 7:01 PM

When a volleyball tournament packs the Show Me Center, let me know. Until then, it's ignorant to think that the Southeast Missourian should give as much coverage to a volleyball event as the Christmas basketball tournament. Are you serious? 99% of the area has never even heard of that volleyball tournament.

Love,

Miley

-- Posted by BetterAngels on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 7:05 PM

Don't get my wrong...I do enjoy a good volleyball game but some on people, it's a secondary sport and deserves secondary coverage.

-- Posted by bizteacher on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 8:17 PM
  • First, let me just say, joefrank78, you're an idiot. Once again, right to the blame game. KFVS12 webcasts home SEMO VOLLEYBALL GAMES, SOCCER home games, and SEMO Gymnastics games!! (And believe members of the female race play in those...) Let's try and do some research. Griping about it on "random message board" is not going to get squat done. You can go to the kfvs sports page and get said sports guys e-mail addresses and ACTUALLY do something about it. They TELEVISE what is popular. Because I guarantee if they forgoe to the football coverage for "Heartland volleyball Friday" there would be way more "wtf" posts than there are about volleyball. Also, less football means more fair coverage to each team. How many volleyball teams are there in the "heartland?" I graduated from a small northern school in the KFVS coverge area, and they NEVER cover my school's games. But I don't gripe because A) no one is going to drive to BFE to cover my school, and B) all who really give a rip about it are AT THE GAME!!!

-- Posted by sportie_gurl on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 8:28 PM
  • I know it's not a football stadium or the Show-Me center but the Woodland gym was packed pretty tight last Friday night with volleyball spectators. I realize some sports do not have the fan base other sports do. That dose not change the fact that there are high school girls in the area that play hard and put alot of effort into their teams. A little more recognition from the media would be appreciated.

-- Posted by farminmarsh on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 9:25 PM
  • If KFVS 12 is going to go to the trouble of reporting who won a volleyball game why not include the scores? They have already dedicated the air time to reporting the scores. Why not provide a detailed report of the scores? I would love to see KFVS 12 provide a detailed report of the championship game of the upcoming SEMO tournament. Send a camera man to the Show Me Center and interview the players and the coach of the team that wins the tournament. Provide a few highlights of the championship game. It would be an entertaining sports segment to feature on the Saturday night newscast.

I feel area newspapers do a great job reporting the scores. The Daily American Republic and The Southeast Missourian generally report most of the scores. I subscribe to the Daily American Republic. I retrieve volleyball scores daily from the newspaper. I have also retrieved Friday night pool scores from the edition of the Southeast Missourian that is delivered to my motel room on Saturday morning during the SEMO volleyball tournament. The scores are always listed in the paper on Saturday morning during the tournament.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Sep 7, 2009, at 9:43 PM
  • I'm not saying that everyone in the heartland loves volleyball. That's not the point. I don't think that everyone loves football either....in fact several schools around here don't even have teams. The girls do not play to see their name in the paper. They play because they love the game. They do work very hard to get to the level that they are. It would just be nice to see more than two sentences recognizing a tournament that 16 teams have played in for a whole weekend. I can get a better summary of our games from the Dexter or Farmington newspapers everytime we play them. They actually may send a reporter to a game to write an actual article....not just wait for the coach to call it in and not put the information in there anyway.That's the point.

-- Posted by Volley coach on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 6:35 AM
  • By the way, freefaller, I feel that Scott City is a great volleyball team. One of the best in the area, without a doubt. But they are not the only good team in the area. If you saw the volleyball preview in the paper it would appear that the only team in the area is Scott City. They are state-ranked, but so are a couple of other area teams...Bell City, ND and Leopold just to name a few. I don't think that Scott City shouldn't be covered...they should be. They have a great team...they're just not the only team.

-- Posted by Volley coach on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 10:01 AM
  • We use to subscribe to the Daily American Republic, the Poplar Bluff paper. I will say it did a good job of listing area scores. If I remember correctly, they had a section on the inside page of the sports section called Area Prep. Action or something like that. No game coverage just the scores. It always seemed odd to us that we could get a Leopold score out of a Poplar Bluff paper, when southern Bollinger county is not in the D.A.R. coverage area. I wonder how the D.A.R. gathered the info? They had team scores from a wide area. Like I mentioned, teams that were not in their coverage area but still in southeat Missouri. That was handy thing to have. We like to keep up with the area teams and you can't be at all the games at once. Semoball is a great place to get info but not all sports fans are on the internet.

-- Posted by farminmarsh on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 12:04 PM
  • Hey all,

I wrote a way-too-long post about volleyball coverage in this post: http://semoball.com/forums/highschoolvolleyball/thread/321.

Seems I should have posted it here. I hope you all get a chance to check it out because I'm anxious to get some more volleyball news and scores up on semoball.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 2:04 PM
  • Well said, sporty_gurl! But just so you understand A) You missed the point, and B) I'm guessing you weren't a starter on your high school volleyball team. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Sep 8, 2009, at 6:46 PM
  • volleyballgirl5, usually the best record gets the most coverage. Second, Notre Dame didnt make it to state since they lost at sectionals. Third, Leopold didnt even make it to sectionals, thus not "state ranked" unless you can be state ranked without going to state?!

-- Posted by freefaller on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 1:01 AM
  • Sorry volleyballgirl5, I now realize you were probably going on those predictions, my bad.

-- Posted by freefaller on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 1:27 AM
  • Volleygirl5 and I are on the same path, so to speak. I read the volleyball preview as well and they devoted way too much time and space to Scott City. I realize this may be because Scott City went the farthest of any team in Southeast Missouri last year (winning second in state 2A) but Bell City clinched third in 1A and I didn't read anything about them (shockingly). I agree with volleygirl 5: Scott City should have been covered, no doubt about that, but they're not the only team around here. Neither is Bell City, for that matter, but when it comes to volleyball, it appears the Southeast Missourian only chooses to recognize these two schools. I hope they choose to recognize that Bell City was defeated tonight by Zalma.

Also, freefaller, Leopold DID make it to sectionals last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. In fact, Leopold has always been at sectionals for the past like 10 years save for that one year when Meadow Heights had a really good team and beat them out of the district, and Leopold is ranked fifth in the state, I think. Leopold is ALWAYS good in volleyball (you'd think THEY would be the Southeast Missourian's favorite team) but they, too, receive little coverage.

They actually had a poll of the top 10 teams in 1A and four schools in Southeast Missouri - Bell City, Bismarck, Eminence and Leopold - I believe made the list. But I guarantee you there won't be anything in the Southeast Missourian tomorrow about how Bell City, a state-ranked team, was just defeated tonight by Zalma. That's extremely newsworthy in of itself that a relatively unknown team knocked off a state-ranked team in two sets especially after being down 12-20 in the first set to come from behind and win.

As a journalism major, I realize that reporters cannot be at every single ballgame of every sport in the area, obviously, but to say that the reason why volleyball doesn't get much coverage is because volleyball isn't as popular as football is around here, I think that is an understatement. For several of these smaller schools outside of the big-city schools, basketball and volleyball is all we have and we'd like some recognition in the REGIONAL paper. After all, the title of the newspaper is the Southeast Missourian, not the Cape Girardeaun or the Jacksonian or the Scott Citian, so depending upon your definition of Southeast Missouri, several other schools in this area have been left out, so I hope you can understand where we are coming from. We shouldn't be neglected from the local newspaper just because we are small in size and/or that we don't live in the city. Big things come in small packages, after all.

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 2:33 AM
  • Tony made a good point that I thought I would share. He said he can understand KFVS having "Football Friday" because that's when most football games are played. Volleyball is played threw out the week with most games being played on Tues. and Thurs. night. KFVS may not have room for "Volleyball Tuesday" (that would be awesome) but it would be nice if volleyball could get a little more coverage threw the week.

-- Posted by farminmarsh on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 11:43 AM
  • In the spirit of being respectful: freefaller...quit writing on here if you're going to be wrong. semocrat08, volleygirl5, and farminmarsh...keep on writing.

I do agree that the coverage of female sports on KFVS12 is very low. Oh by the way sportie_gurl...we are discussing HIGH SCHOOL sports...not college so go away. (i'll write more later!!!)

-- Posted by queenofsidelines on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 3:15 PM
  • I know this may be off the topic. However, I find it very interesting that Zalma defeated Bell City. Tell me more semocrat05. We all remember the great Zalma teams in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Sounds like volleyball could be making a comeback in Zalma.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 4:57 PM
  • Glad you asked, drawmules. It was a spectacular game. Zalma does have a pretty good team this year. We have two very strong middle hitters in Lesta Newberry (who played club volleyball earlier this year at Jackson) and Angela Dickinson who are both aggressive at the net and we really do have one of the best libero players around here in Torie VanGennip. Even Bell City's scorekeeper said that our libero player "sure can play some good defense." She was picking up almost every killer hit from Bell City's star player Jasmine Johnson. I think this really shocked Bell City because I'm sure they're not used to teams being able to pick up her hits. The first set was extraordinary. We were down 12-20 before we made a run at it after we somehow found our momentum to come back to win the game 25-23. We got off to an early 11-1 lead in the first set before Bell City stepped it up a notch. Bell City's problem is that they couldn't play defense. Torie and her younger sister Lorie VanGennip (who's only a freshman) each had about three aces a piece. You could tell just by looking at Bell City's coach Erin Hoffman that she was getting irritated. She kept subbing in her junior varsity players (I guess because her varsity players couldn't pass) and the junior varsity actually did better at passing than the varsity! But the momentum went our way the entire night, and I think we wanted it more than they did, and we pulled off a 25-20 victory in the second set.

If you want to read a short excerpt from the game, I invite you to check out my blog. Volleyball is definitely making a comeback at Zalma High School. I really do think this is one of the best squads we've had at Zalma since Carl Ritter, Jr. and Leanne Huffman's group took us to state in the early 1990s. I was also impressed at the turnout at the game. The gym was nearly packed full of Zalma parents and fans who were there to cheer on our girls. Our cheering section in no way compares to that of Leopold but it was still nice to see so many people out supporting the girls. This team has a lot of talent and potential to go very far this season. I'd definitely say watch to see how far we go in the SEMO Classics this weekend.

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 6:26 PM
  • Gee. All this conversation, and all I want is for KFVS to show the game scores. Wow!

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Wed, Sep 9, 2009, at 7:51 PM
  • Just a heads up, but KFVS is reporting the volleyball results correctly as per the Associated Press standards. The final results in vb are either 2-0 or 2-1 in high school or 3-0, 3-1 or 3-2 in college - not each set score. That's because the vb teams count the number of sets won in a best-of-3 or best-of-5 matchup as the end result. It's the same in the postseason for pro sports. The Cardinals claimed the 2006 World Series over the Detroit Tigers 4 games to 1 (or 4-1). No one remembers each and every score of the five WS games, nor do they want to. All that matters is the Cardinals won the WS in five games. Now KFVS could do both like this ...

Notre Dame 25 19 25 - 2

Cape Central 23 25 14 - 1

... and please everyone, but the 2-1 final is the actual score that matters. As a prep sports junkie, I like both ways reported.

As for the rest on this string of comments, football always (no matter where you go) will be at the forefront of media sports coverage. When you figure in the number of fans who attend each game (no matter how bad the team), the money made from concessions as well as advertisers/sponsors/boosters participation, it's only fitting it gets THE most coverage. That's just the way it is anywhere that has football. Boys basketball is a distant second in most areas (although it may be first for teams with bad football but awesome hoops). Everything else just falls into place depending on each school. Sorry vb fans.

-- Posted by mboydjr on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 11:34 AM
  • Yeah....okay mboydjr i see your point, even if i don't like it i see it. But they couldn't they also maybe go to a few games, tape a few seconds and them it on the news? Would that be so bad?

Also as a little note: I was going back through the comments and I think it's funny how joefrank78 asked about KFVS12 not reporting and then it turned into the newspapers not reporting. Hee-hee makes me chuckle. :-)

-- Posted by queenofsidelines on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 11:45 AM
  • I agree football is a more profitable sport for the media to cover. Basketball is also more profitable. However, last night KFVS 12 aired a story about the Tour of Missouri bicycle race that traveled through Farmington. The scores of the volleyball contest between Notre Dame and Scott City were never discussed. I have also seen KFVS 12 air stories on high school golf tournaments, wrestling, soccer and gymnastics. I doubt if these sports are more profitable than volleyball. Do not stop covering any sport. All of our student athletes deserve recognition for their accomplishments. Would it be possible for KFVS 12 to show video segments about volleyball on their website? Keep airing Heartland Football Friday. Do not stop providing basketball coverage. But do something to help the volleyball players feel important.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 12:17 PM
  • The Associated Press standards are for the Associated Press only. No one "has" to follow them. No law is being broken if you don't.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 7:12 PM
  • But joefrank, as someone who has worked for a newspaper before, you learn that the best way to do journalism is to follow what the Associated Press does. They are the authority when it comes to objective journalism. No law may be broken but if AP says that the 2-1 score is the way to do it, then it is probably the way to do it.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Thu, Sep 10, 2009, at 11:42 PM
  • First of all, joefranksomerandomnumber, I wasn't just replying to just you, but the "KFVS is sexist anyway and only give a rip about boys sports" guy up there somewhere.

"Am I the only...the contest." IT TELLS YOU WHO WON. At least they are reporting it....

"It's easy with computers." Yeah, cause a five game match wouldn't get confusing at all.

EXAMPLE

Leopold 25, 21, 25, 18, 20

Cape Central 20, 25, 21, 25, 25

"Todd and Chad don't care." Speaking of them personally, yeah you're probably right. But the people who probably "don't care" are a little higher up, I was suppose, because you can bet your sweet potatoes that if Mike Smythe or the advertisers during the news really liked volleyball, you'd see more of it. Most die hard sports guys really only care on a personal level about football and basketball, which you'll notice, are the only sports most ADVERTISERS care about too. (Which is why the SEMO Christmas tournament -basketball- brings in thousands.)

Oh, so, then- I guess the SEMO womens sports don't matter, then? Because what bothers me is the kicked-under-the-rug coverage the women's sports there have gotten over the years. The lady's sports are WILDLY more successful than ANY man's sport there, but where do the boosters go?

-- Posted by sportie_gurl on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 4:24 AM
  • Did you know that you could shoot your own video of the volleyball games and post them on KFVS12's website? They have that cNews thing where you can upload video and pictures.

I doubt that KFVS has that many people they can send out to cover all of the sports. They probably gear up for the Friday night football show. Also, I HAVE seen volleyball highlights on the sports segment in the news.

Realize that most tv stations across the country only show some high school football and basketball. That is it! Everything else is college and pro coverage. The tv guys also only have so much time to cover everything. What do they get? maybe 2 minutes?

-- Posted by SEMissouri70 on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 8:58 PM
  • "Did you know that you could shoot your own video of the volleyball games and post them on KFVS12's website? They have that cNews thing where you can upload video and pictures."

Hey SEMissouri70, you can send in video and pictures on semoball. Just use the "high school" drop-down menu in the red bar at the top of the page.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 9:01 PM
  • That is my point. There are ways for people to send in their own video whether it be the SE Missouri or KFVS. People can do it themselves.

-- Posted by SEMissouri70 on Fri, Sep 11, 2009, at 9:04 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: