High School Volleyball Forum: Private Schools DOMINATE in every Class!!!!

Posted by country-dude on Wed, Nov 29, 2017, at 10:24 PM:

All privates wins each class. When you can pick your players, why don't they just make a Class 5 for all of them?? What's fair about it? Teams play Club Ball and recruit the best players to their private school. When is enough, enough???? Heck just give them the state championship for next year too. Anybody stupid enough to bet me on all 4 again?

Replies (40)

so i just have to get one public win next year to win?

-- Posted by BulldogFan1 on Wed, Nov 29, 2017, at 10:59 PM
  • How about

Softball all 4 titles won by PUBLIC schools

Football where 5-6 won by PUBLIC schools

And I would be stupid enough to bet you on next year.

-- Posted by Parentsruinsports on Thu, Nov 30, 2017, at 6:28 AM
  • Sorry sir but in volleyball public Lafayette has won the title like 8 times inna row!! One year they went undefeated and didnt lose ONE set the ENTIRE YEAR!! But your point is mostly true in all sports, the multiplier is a joke, privates should move up at least two classes or put em ALL in the highest class.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Nov 30, 2017, at 9:16 AM
  • Privates need their own tournament or tournaments, however they want to break it up. I say play them in conference and regular season, but the state playoffs need to be regulated unless you think everyone should be allowed to recruit to level the playing field. That opens a whole new can of worms.

Since the state won't do anything about it school boards and superintendents need to suck it up and get something done. I doubt they have the backbone to do it in the face of current political state of vindictiveness. Privates have too many politicians in their pocket who have no interest in what is best for all students, just their particular private school.

-- Posted by SEMO747883 on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 1:50 PM
  • The most decorated programs in the state are public schools in southeast Missouri. Scott Central. Charleston. Sikeston. All public schools that dominate their respective classes.

Get this kid a tissue

-- Posted by basketballfan12 on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 4:08 PM
  • Scott Central, Charleston, and Sikeston.

Which one of these is not like the other ones?

-- Posted by BTIndians on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 5:11 PM
  • Chaminade is not like them. Oh yeah Sikeston plays Chaminade at home this year. Good test for private vs public.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 7:39 PM
  • SCC, Charleston, and Sikeston dominate in volleyball?

-- Posted by SteGen is a Suburb of Crystal City on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 8:29 PM
  • Recruiting....Saxony, Notre Dame, St. Vincents, Valle....I don't see it. In the more urban areas, maybe a little more of an issue, but public schools in the urban areas heavily recruit. Stop your cry babying. The multiplier cry babies...I don't see why they need the multiplier unless you are all girls or boys school. Otherwise, suck it up and play. Sikeston's boys team has several new faces on its varsity...which may all be legit, but hey...are they bumped up another class. Scott County Central during the Cookson era continually had big time players move in. But, here is another fact that you need to face...they have a good program in place and good players want to go there. The sad part is SCC, Charleston, Sikeston is some of the lowest educational schools in the area...academics rate low for them. Oh ya...who cares about education....lets worry about if you have to face a private school.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 8:43 PM
  • “The sad part is SCC, Charleston, Sikeston is some of the lowest educational schools in the area...”

Oh, the irony.

-- Posted by SteGen is a Suburb of Crystal City on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 9:41 PM

My thoughts exactly, Ste.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 9:49 PM
  • Yep stlcard fan. Impoverished schools have trouble academically. Only decent meal some get is at school. Remember that before criticizing those kids next time. Or maybe when you dip that silver spoon in the butter at Red Lobster. SMH.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 10:23 PM
  • Forrest Gump

There is waaaayyyy more to it than that. Like the fact that public teachers are really know more than glorified babysitters. Minimal teaching. No discipline. And massive wastes of tax dollars.

All schools should be privatized. Academic standards would increase and tuition rates would not be as insane. A win-win.

-- Posted by basketballfan12 on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 10:32 PM
  • stlcardsfan ... you don’t see evidence of Saxony recruiting athletes to play boys basketball? Yikes!

-- Posted by s32j20s12 on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 10:38 PM
  • Glorified babysitters? There are excellent teachers in public schools. There are also a few poor teachers that have tenure. Guess you went to public because it’s “no”, not “know”. Lmao

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 10:40 PM
  • Fan12. What's your plan for privatizing all the public schools in America?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 10:41 PM
  • Forrest Gump,

Indeed there are. But they are the exception. And congrats on my spelling error. Your joke about me going to public school must show that you know what I'm talking about. I have friends who have gone to public school who struggle to read basic english. That's no exaggeration.

And Indian Pride,

I have no plan. But it's clear government run schools aren't working.

-- Posted by basketballfan12 on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 10:46 PM
  • This is probably a dumb question but why don't all the public schools just stop scheduling any games with the privates. Let the privates play all privates and dido for public until state tournaments come around maybe a couple years of that and the state would separate them for good

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 11:41 PM
  • S32J what is your obsession with bashing saxony? Can you prove that this coaching staff recruited any players?

-- Posted by SEMOSportsfan1 on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 8:17 AM
  • Why is this thread posted in the volleyball forum? To the person who said that SCC, Sikeston and Charleston dominate their respective classes, I'm going to assume that you're talking about basketball and not about volleyball seeing as how SCC doesn't even have volleyball and Sikeston and Charleston are consistently terrible in volleyball. If you're referring to basketball then sure, those teams are always great, but again it gets back to my original question as to why this thread is posting in the volleyball forum?

-- Posted by The Legend on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 9:28 AM
  • SEMOSportsfan1; a comment or two about Saxony shouldn't qualify as "bashing." I never said their coaching staff has done any recruiting. A "friend" of the program gets deeply involved in bringing basketball players in. Most of their best players the last few years did not go through the Lutheran feeder schools. But most of them did play together during the summer and transferred. Checkout that coaching staff.

-- Posted by s32j20s12 on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 5:10 PM
  • All private schools recruit. If the coach doesn’t, I’d fire him. P.S.- Some of the public schools do a pretty good job, too. But if they get caught, I’d fire them.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 5:22 PM
  • s32j20s12,

1. If a friend gets involved, barring some form of illiberal compensation, tell why that’s wrong.

2. Are you assuming that only kids from the Lutheran feeder schools are the ones that go to Saxony without being “recruited”?

-- Posted by basketballfan12 on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 9:12 PM
  • *illegal

-- Posted by basketballfan12 on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 9:13 PM
  • First of all, I did not say public schools do a poor job of teaching the children. Some do a great job and other have their priorities out of order. For instance, look at the successful public schools. They put priority on academics and athletics. They can go hand in hand. Unfortunately several schools do not understand that. It is a great asset to have a great coach who promotes athletics. Also, great leaders can get kids to learn. Other schools are feel good schools that want everyone to get a good grade. I look at honor roles from schools and they are larger than the # of students who score high on their testing. Why...teachers don't want to hear parents complain. Give them an A and they are smart...right....do the same thing on a basketball court and one will find out real quick little Johnny is not that great. As far as poverty in the schools....these students can learn...you just have to be able to reach them instead of using that as an excuse. Maybe...someday schools in SE Missouri will wake up and figure this out. Springfield deals with several low economic numbers and they are thriving. Cape is improving...still not there...but improving...Sikeston, Charleston, SCC is not. Enough of my complaining...Education starts at home. Parents start being parents.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 10:40 PM
  • Stlfan. The more you ramble, the more you expose yourself as “clueless “ to the hardships the impoverished schools face. Thx for playing.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 10:47 PM
  • stlcardsfan, where is your proof that Sikeston, Charleston and SCC are the lowest educational schools in the area? Are you just inventing this opinion or do you have statistics to back it up? Cite your sources please.

-- Posted by suejam on Fri, Dec 22, 2017, at 10:55 PM
  • Easy to see a couple of private school honks in this thread with a severe agenda. Having their heads up their backsides is a sad way to go through life.

-- Posted by SEMO747883 on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 1:50 PM
  • SEMO747883

Now we now who showed up just to troll becuase they provide no intelligence to the conversation.

And yes I am pro-private school. I prefer kids that learn how to spell their name.

-- Posted by basketballfan12 on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 2:33 PM
  • Semo- You are correct. But, I don’t lump these type of idiots with all private school people and you probably don’t either. There are great people and student athletes representing public and private institutions. Basketballfan12 is not one of those people. Insecurity is evident and it’s most likely physical.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 3:19 PM
  • because, not “becuase”

Missed a comma in the last paragraph.

I doubt she can spell her name.

-- Posted by SteGen is a Suburb of Crystal City on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 4:12 PM
  • Forrest....I have seen and worked in low economic schools along with schools that are not. I have also seen schools who did not settle for low standards. For instance, take West County or Park Hills...areas that are in poor areas. They did not settle for their students underperforming. They did something about it and now they rank very high in the state with their student achievement. As far as ranking the schools, one can go on DESE and see where the schools rank in the state. Very few schools in SE Missouri rank very high. As far as private schools educating the children at high level. They do so because teachers care and normally a good home life. Very few children fall through the cracks in private schools. I have seen so many do so in the public sector....So...as I ramble...why should private schools have a multiplier? Has the multiplier changed the success of the parochial schools. I haven't seen it. Notre Dame, Saxony, St. Vincents, Valle have faired well at each level. I believe there will be more success from other private schools in the near future. I don't hold grudges against private or public. They are all kids trying to play a sport and have fun.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 4:35 PM
  • SteGen. You missed "now we now"

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 4:47 PM
  • Stl. - So teachers in public schools don’t care? Private school students are hand picked. Public gets anyone and everyone. Park Hills can’t be compared to Charleston, Sikeston, or Scott County. Just guessing but I bet the free and reduced lunch rate for those schools and others (southeast, mo) are much higher than the two you mentioned. Charleston 80-90%. Sikeston 60-70%. SCC 80-90%. Nmcc 70-80%. Portageville 45-55%. Hayti 90-95%. Caruthersville 80-90%. Malden 50-60%. Then add in the percentage of I.E. P. students. Then add single parent homes, etc,etc, etc. Only decent meals of the day for many. It’s a national problem, not just here. Unless you have the solution, don’t bash the teachers and students trying to make a difference in their lives.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 5:05 PM
  • At least Forest Gump is trying to make an actual argument for his position. Respect to him even if I disagree with it.

-- Posted by basketballfan12 on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 5:28 PM
  • Forrest...you are pulling numbers out of the air. Second, most teachers do care, but academics are not a high priority at some schools. Give you an example. A former administrator at SCC was trying to make the school more academic when 2 female basketball players was not doing their class work and he had them miss a game. The next board meeting his contract was not renewed even though he had no prior issues with the board. Sikeston hires a great football coach, but he is not in the classroom. Farmer is a great basketball coach, but not in the classroom. Another issue is the ability to get coaches in a small school. Many times the coaches they hire are not certified in the area they are teaching, but they put the sports in front of the academics. So, Forrest, look up the free and reduced numbers for Park Hills, West County and compare them to the area schools. They didn't accept poor academics and the last time I checked, they do pretty good athletically...even though I don't care for Park Hills at all. Final comment on this thread....don't cut down what the private schools are doing. It is not for everyone, but don't criticize someone that wants the best for their child.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 9:24 PM
  • Stlfan. I said I was guessing on the numbers. Guess you missed that. But I bet I’m pretty close. As far as SCC, their loss if he was good. Sikeston’s coach has been drawing retirement for years. He’s on the 550 rule I’m guessing. He’s in the weight room. A sports program in a small school is the main gathering place for the community. A successful program can rally a community together. Certification is decided by DESE, not the school. However they can obtain temporary certification for two years. I’m not looking up any stats either on Park Hills or West County (apples to oranges. As far as private school criticism, don’t act like you’re all high and mighty. You’re no better than the public schools as people and human beings. But that’s exactly how “some” of you come across. See you at confession tomorrow, and Merry Christmas.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 10:36 PM
  • “The best for their child”......

Private school enrollment has declined 17% Nationally in the last decade.

A full 19% less of private school administrators have a Masters Degree or higher.

Private school data analysis (done by a private school lobbying firm) shows that private schools make up 25% of all schools, but graduate only 10% of the total high school population. The same lobbying firm asserted that a full 22% more of private school students went on to attend college, but their own analysis showed a negligible difference when only actual graduates (instead of total student population) were used in the equation.

-- Posted by SteGen is a Suburb of Crystal City on Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 11:06 PM
  • check out the recruiting rules at mshsaa online sites

some of the schools start their searches and money in 4th grades or sooner. also the privates help pay for the states salaries that would search and help turn in the violations. Bell city bkb was nailed back in the days.

-- Posted by weslc61 on Sun, Dec 24, 2017, at 10:37 AM
  • I see where you’re coming from country-dude. All 4 classes of volleyball were won by private schools this year. Class 3 was decided between 2 private schools. As for the other sports Class 1 football has been dominated by Valle Catholic. Class 4 girls basketball had been dominated by Incarnate Word for quite a while. I’m sure there are others but these come fresh to mind. That being said those schools are recognized as mshsaa. Teams like Eagle Ridge don’t play in the mshsaa districts but they do compete against mshsaa schools in regular season. Since some private schools are recognized as mshsaa they can participate in the mshsaa playoffs. It seems the smaller schools aren’t too effected by it-other than class 1 football. Advance and Oran represented well last year. It stinks sometimes especially when a local team seems destined for a deep playoff run(I’m looking at you Dexter volleyball/girls basketball) but then a private school beats them. As for Sikeston, Charleston and SCC they seem to have very good tradition. Whether that tradition is teaching young men how to play sports at a young age or bringing in the right transfer from another school depends on who you ask. But one thing is for sure their hometown fans don’t look at their banners hanging in their gym and say we cheated. Same goes for private schools. They’re just proud of their kids.

-- Posted by semolian on Sun, Dec 24, 2017, at 5:09 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: