High School Volleyball Forum: Perryville tourney?

Posted by SEMOvbfan on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 4:39 PM:

When will we see this stacked tourney pools? SEMO format was much better and now on to the next great SEMO tourney.

Replies (21)

• Haven't seen it posted anywhere yet online. Perhaps Coach Mirly can let us know when it is. Can't wait to see it either!

-- Posted by The Legend on Thu, Sep 14, 2017, at 1:33 AM
  • POOL A (at Perryville High School)

1. Valle Catholic

2. Leopold

3. MICDS

4. DeSoto

POOL B (at Perryville Elementary School)

1. Saxony Lutheran

2. Perryville JV

3. Winona

4. Fredericktown

POOL C (at Altenburg Public School)

1. Perryville

2. Lesterville

3. Eagle Ridge Christian School

4. Bismarck

POOL D (at Perry Park Center, Court 1)

1. Jackson

2. Advance

3. North County

4. Clearwater

POOL E (at Perry Park Center, Court 2)

1. Scott City

2. St. Vincent

3. Arcadia Valley

4. Doniphan

POOL F (at Perryville Middle School)

1. Bloomfield

2. Cape Central

3. Central (Park Hills)

4. Bernie

POOL PLAY SCHEDULE

1 vs. 2, 8 a.m.

3 vs. 4, 8:45 a.m.

1 vs. 3, 9:30 a.m.

2 vs. 4, 10:15 a.m.

1 vs. 4, 11 a.m.

2 vs. 3, 11:45 a.m.

Top two teams in each pool go to a 12-team single elimination Gold Bracket.

Third place teams in each pool go to a six-team single elimination Silver Bracket.

Fourth place teams in each pool go to six-team single elimination Bronze Bracket.

-- Posted by The Legend on Mon, Sep 18, 2017, at 7:43 PM
  • Here is the link for the Perryville Tourn.

It should be another GREAT Tournament.

If the link does not work, go to the Jackson Schools Web Page and get to the Volleyball Page. It is under the "Information" Page

https://sites.google.com/jacksonindians.us/jacksonvolleyball/information

-- Posted by coachmirly on Tue, Sep 19, 2017, at 10:25 AM
  • Where in the H is Altenburg public school?

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Tue, Sep 19, 2017, at 1:42 PM
  • I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'll go out on a limb and say that it is located in Altenburg.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Sep 19, 2017, at 2:03 PM
  • What logic!

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Tue, Sep 19, 2017, at 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for the link with the brackets, Coach Dave!

@SEMOVBFan, Altenburg is a school district (yes, located in Altenburg, as OzzyandHarriet brilliantly points out) that contains just one elementary school. The address is 8432 Main St., Altenburg, MO 63732-0127. Per Google Maps, it looks to be anywhere from 28-33 minutes southeast of Perryville. Looks like they are just going to be using that gym for pool play during the morning hours and no post-pool/bracket tournament games will be played there. In the past I think they had some games held at St. Vincent High School and Immanuel Lutheran there in Perryville. Perhaps schedule conflicts with those two venues as to why they are having one venue in Altenburg?

It's still very early with over a week left of games to get in, but I'll take a bold guess at what two teams I think will make it to Gold in each pool (I reserve the right to come back and change my predictions closer to tournament time! Ha!):

Pool A: Valle Catholic, DeSoto?

Pool B: Winona, Saxony

Pool C: Perryville, Lesterville

Pool D: Advance, Jackson

Pool E: Arcadia Valley, St. Vincent

Pool F: Bloomfield, Park Hills Central?

-- Posted by The Legend on Wed, Sep 20, 2017, at 3:49 AM
  • I like those picks except I'm taking Leopold and not Desoto.

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Wed, Sep 20, 2017, at 8:52 AM
  • Rumor has it Winona is down to 5 players at this time. 2 or 3 players injured and the season might be over. Wonder if they are coming to Perryville still.

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Tue, Sep 26, 2017, at 2:54 PM
  • Haven't heard that about Winona but surely they can pull up some players from JV? I hope they're able to make it.

Two exciting games happened tonight that could bear some witness at the tournament.

Class 1 Valle Catholic defeated Class 2 Arcadia Valley 23-25, 25-21, 25-17. This is only the third loss for Arcadia Valley.

Class 1 Advance defeated Class 2 Bloomfield 19-25, 25-23, 25-17. This is only the third loss for Bloomfield.

The scores are almost similar! Coincidence? Oh, and one more ripple: it was Valle Catholic and Advance in the championship game last year.

The subplot thickens... =)

-- Posted by The Legend on Wed, Sep 27, 2017, at 2:38 AM
  • I heard another Winona rumor. They are out of the Perryville tourney.

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Wed, Sep 27, 2017, at 9:37 AM
  • I've heard the Perryville tourney has changed. Any schedule update?

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Thu, Sep 28, 2017, at 1:18 PM
  • Any updates?

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Sep 30, 2017, at 1:11 PM
  • Any updates on tournament? Should be a good day of volleyball!!

-- Posted by volleballfan on Sat, Sep 30, 2017, at 7:02 PM
  • Advance defeats Perryville for the championship of the Perryville Tournament.

-- Posted by coachmirly on Sat, Sep 30, 2017, at 10:04 PM
  • Advance over Perryville 25-18, 25-14 for the Gold Bracket championship.

Bernie over DeSoto 25-14, 22-25, 15-6 for the Silver Bracket championship.

Leopold over Cape Central for the Bronze Bracket championship.

-- Posted by The Legend on Sat, Sep 30, 2017, at 11:03 PM
  • My take on the tourney from what I seen Saturday.

Advance-6ft middle was unstoppable. I think a freshman and if so Advance will be a power the next 4 years. She very well could be the best to come out of that area in a very loooooong time. The other kids play the roles very well. They looked like a state bound team.

Valle-Couldn't stop Perryville. Valle looks good still this year but doesn't have the fire power to be Advance.

Perryville-has a couple big bangers and defense looked tough. Not sure they can beat Dexter and don't think they have enough to get out of sectionals if they do win districts.

Leopold-well not sure what to say. They looked solid at Dig 4 Life but this weekend didn't look so hot.

Lesterville-this is the hardest team for me to figure out. Looked pretty tough in the 2nd and 3rd sets against Perryville. Looks solid against MICDS and the 1st set against Saxony. Then the hitters stop hitting and putting the ball down. I was looking forward to the Advance/Lesterville semi battle. Fell apart in the 2nd/3rd sets against Saxony.

AV-this team took Bloomfield completely out of it's game. Down 19-24 against Bloomfield in the 2nd set and won it I think 26-24. If they can make it out of Pius district they will head to state. Not sure though beating Pius can happen.

Bloomfield-other team hard to figure out. Won SEMO tourney then laid an egg against AV. I had Bloomfield making the semis at least.

Jackson-long way to go to be a Class 4 sectional contender. Might win districts this year if they can play like they did at SEMO tourney.

Saxony-to me are a 1 man show with a couple decent players if they can pull it together.

St Vincent-another up and down team. Looked great against Perryville then kind of fell apart. Have some solid hitters but silly mistakes cost them against Perryville. I think they will battle Valle for the district title this year. Might be a new sectional rep from this district this year.

This is just my take on what I witnessed Saturday. Please don't blast me for my opinion on teams. A month still is a long time for teams to improve.

I still see Advance/Valle and Lesterville/Gideon in the SEMO sectional. I have Advance/Lesterville with Advance moving on to state.

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 10:00 AM
  • I would have to agree with you volleballfan, the SCAA tournament coming up this week will be interesting with some good teams coming out.

-- Posted by volleballfan on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 10:11 AM
  • Looks pretty accurate from what I've seen this year. Big game tonight in SG as Valle takes on the Dragons at SG.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 12:49 PM
  • SEMOVBFan, I think you're referring to Roz Schrader as the 6-foot middle from Advance. She's a sophomore but the other middle (Nyah Wilson) who IS a freshman, is one to keep an eye on as well. Yes, lots of younger talent there for Coach Erin Hoffman and the Lady Hornets. I hope they have what it takes to get Valle Catholic in sectionals but never underestimate Coach Nancy Fischer (congratulations on the 700 wins!) and the Lady Warriors. Lesterville will have a cake walk in the first round of sectionals facing Gideon/Risco or whatever sacrificial lamb comes out of that Bootheel district. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but time will tell.

I agree with your assessments of the teams in the tournament over the weekend. Valle Catholic has a very impressive little libero. I watched their game with Perryville and you could tell that the Pirates played with more intensity and seemed to want it more than the Warriors did, and in the end, that'll win you games, but they just fizzled out against Advance, who was firing on all cylinders following their impressively easy win over a solid squad in Arcadia Valley. The Lady Tigers have amazing cohesion and a court awareness that's impeccable. Bloomfield is a legitimate team as well but they beat themselves in their game with Arcadia Valley. You could see it written over their faces and I'm sure the Lady Tigers fed off of that. I haven't seen St. Pius X yet this season but without the Otec girl, that district could be up for grabs. It sucks that Arcadia Valley and St. Pius X are in the same district because they're both ten times better than any of those teams from District 1 and District 4 that'll be there at sectionals. I hate that for both teams.

Leopold has been struggling the past couple of years. Not sure if it's because of dwindling numbers or what the deal is, but it has to be disappointing because volleyball is what that town is known for.

Lesterville seems to be, as you alluded, inconsistent. I watched their game with Saxony and they dominated in the first set but as soon as Saxony started double blocking, the Lady Bearcats just shut down. I'm sure they've faced teams that have double blocked them before, so surely they should have known how to respond to that. Saxony was without one of their big hitters too, for what it's worth.

I was quite impressed with St. Vincent. The Verseman girl's serve is killer! It sucks that they are in a district with Valle Catholic because they too are much better than any of the teams down in District 1. I think Valle beat them already once this season. I still give the Lady Warriors the edge in districts but wouldn't be surprised if St. Vincent pulled it out in a squeaker.

Jackson, yeah they may win districts but none of our Class 4 teams down here are on the same level as the St. Louis privates that always seem to dominate that class. Don't get me wrong, Coach Dave is a great coach and he'll have them lay down all that they got if they go to sectionals, but they'll definitely be the underdog. If you haven't watched a Class 4 state championship game before, go and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's like watching a college volleyball game—so exciting.

SEMOVBFan, do you know what the situation is with Winona? They weren't in the tournament and I saw where you mentioned that they may be done for the rest of the season, but I saw tonight on Semoball where they played Poplar Bluff, so hopefully this means that they're going to be able to field a team for the rest of the season?

-- Posted by The Legend on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 12:38 AM
  • They pulled out to not risk more injuries. They are still playing season games but with a very short roster. They will still be a team to watch for but without the big hitter Lilly they could be in trouble.

-- Posted by SEMOvbfan on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 11:33 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: