30th Annual Dig for Life Challenge/SEMO Classic Tournament

Posted by The Legend on Thu, Aug 24, 2017, at 9:23 AM:

The schedule has finally been posted for the upcoming 30th Annual St. Francis Medical Center Dig for Life Challenge, also known as the SEMO Classics. It looks as though the rumors were true: the tournament format has changed and is being divided into two divisions, similar to the format of the Arkansas State University (ASU) Play Day. It looks as though with the new format has come a plethora of new teams (and some teams that have recently dropped out have now returned). The tournament has grown from 48 to 52 teams with 24 teams in the upper (Red) division and 28 teams in the lower (Black) division.

Here are the division/pool play assignments. Thoughts?

RED DIVISION

POOL A

1. New Haven

2. Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau)

3. Hillsboro

4. New Madrid County Central

POOL B

5. Farmington

6. Calvary Lutheran

7. St. Vincent

8. Gideon

POOL C

9. Bloomfield

10. Bismarck

11. Summersville

12. Sikeston

POOL D

13. Lesterville

14. Woodland

15. Jefferson (Festus)

16. DeSoto

POOL E

17. Arcadia Valley

18. Eminence

19. Seckman

20. Leopold

POOL F

21. Winona

22. Jackson

23. Saxony Lutheran

24. Grandview (Hillsboro)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BLACK DIVISION

POOL G

25. Clearwater

26. Oran

27. Caruthersville

28. Holcomb

POOL H

29. Greenville

30. Portageville

31. Cape Central

32. Southland

POOL J

33. Hazelwood West

34. South Iron

35. Bell City

36. Clarkton

POOL K

37. Meadow Heights

38. Twin Rivers

39. Charleston

40. Senath-Hornersville

POOL L

41. Malden

42. Viburnum

43. Puxico

44. Cooter

POOL M

45. Kennett

46. Zalma

47. Richland (Essex)

48. Scott City

POOL N

49. Oak Ridge

50. Campbell

51. Southern Reynolds

52. South Pemiscot

Pool play schedule can be found here: http://www.showmecenter.biz/FileStream.aspx?FileID=49

Replies (4)

• I love it. This is the best way to do it. I would like to see the tourney part also. Makes games so much more competitive for every team.

-- Posted by semovbfan on Fri, Aug 25, 2017, at 9:41 AM
  • Agreed, SEMOVBFan. Looks like they did a pretty good job of dividing the stronger teams from the weaker teams. Not sure if they went by last season's records or if they looked back over the past X-amount of years and counted the number of times each team appeared in the Gold/Silver/Bronze brackets, but it looks about balanced to me. The only teams in the Red Division that I'm surprised to see there are Calvary Lutheran, Gideon, Grandview, NMCC, Sikeston, and Summersville. I'm not sure how good any of those teams are so far this season but they usually are mediocre at best teams. Yes, I know Gideon has won its district for like the past decade, but they're a Bootheel school and the teams down there are not on the same level as most of the other teams north of there. No disrespect to Gideon, just calling it as I see it.

I'm now curious if this new format will lure some of the stronger teams that have left the tournament back into it (Advance, Bernie, Dexter, Perryville, and Poplar Bluff to a lesser extent). Aside from their conference tournament, Advance and Bernie both compete in the Notre Dame Volleyball Fest (this weekend! Hope someone is there to provide us with live updates) and the Perryville Tournament. I doubt they'll leave the Perryville Tournament, which has grown into the most competitive tournament in Southeast Missouri, in my opinion. Perryville is also in both of these tournaments with Advance and Bernie but instead of a conference tournament, the Pirates participate in the exceptionally strong Gateway City Match-Up Tournament in St. Louis. As for Poplar Bluff, it looks like they've gotten out of all SEMO-based tournaments save for the SEMO Conference Tournament. They play in the Quad State Classic in Paducah and left the SEMO Classics this year to play in a tournament at West Plains (not sure how strong volleyball is in that part of the state but I'd imagine that tournament will probably have teams from Southwest Missouri and possibly some Arkansas teams in it as well. Haven't been able to find a bracket of it yet online).

A little off-topic, but does anyone know how Dexter did this weekend in the Borgia Invitational? I don't see any results posted on MSHSAA, Maxpreps, or the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

-- Posted by The Legend on Sun, Aug 27, 2017, at 11:41 PM
    Response by Josh Mlot, Sports Editor, Southeast Missourian:
    The Southeast Missourian will be covering Thursday's pool play action, and likely Saturday's Gold Bracket championship.
  • Dexter took 2nd in pool. Beat Kirkwood both sets, Split with Parkway West and lost to St Dominic. In the semis they played 1st seed from the other pool Washington and lost 2 hard fought sets. 23-25, and 22-25 I think were the scores. Lost the 3rd place set to Mater Dei in 2. As the day went on they looked really tough.

-- Posted by semovbfan on Mon, Aug 28, 2017, at 10:00 AM
  • Semo tourney. Let me take the 1st stab at top 2 in each pool.

Pool A

New Haven

ND

Pool B

Farmington

St Vincent

Pool C

Bloomfield

Bismarck

Pool D

OMG I CAN'T- This is the pool of death. I think they all beat up on each other and comes down to tie breakers.

Pool E

AV

Eminence

Pool F (this could go to one of the others)

Winona

Saxony

-- Posted by semovbfan on Tue, Aug 29, 2017, at 4:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: