top area volleyball teams

Posted by dexterdoesitall on Thu, Jun 8, 2017, at 12:20 PM:

Advance, Bloomfield and Dexter should be tough any other teams to watch this year?

Replies (22)

• all of them

-- Posted by BBUBET on Thu, Jun 8, 2017, at 3:55 PM
  • Can't wait to see what Jackson will be like with Coach Mirly this season!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Jun 8, 2017, at 7:48 PM
  • Jackson def. got the best. program will grow like crazy

hearing one of our bearcats was hurt this week in a camp at St. Louis, def. a game changer.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Fri, Jun 9, 2017, at 10:07 AM
  • Those three will definitely be the best teams in the area, in my opinion. I'm told that Advance has A LOT of younger talent on their team this year with a group of freshmen who did not lose a single game all throughout their junior high (7th-8th grade) season, coupled with the fact that they have one of the best coaches in the area in Erin Hoffman. This could be the Hornets' year to make some noise. Bernie lost two very good players but they'll still be naturally talented and a force to contend with in Class 1 and the SCAA Conference.

Bloomfield has a new coach, not sure who she is but I think they're returning a deep crop of younger players as well. Dexter is always tough and with the Garrison girl leading them, I don't see many teams in the area being able to compete with them. I'm not sure how far they'll go in the playoffs seeing as how they'll have to face one of the Class 3 privates from St. Louis in sectionals/quarterfinals, but they came very close last year before falling to eventual state champion Lutheran South in the quarterfinals.

One thing is for sure: the SCAA Conference is always the toughest volleyball conference in Southeast Missouri. Stoddard County always produces the area's top teams in the sport.

I agree that Coach Dave will most definitely turn the program around at Jackson. Perryville will probably be good again this year with Cissell in charge and some Mirly residue. It'll be interesting to see how Notre Dame competes with a new coach, but they'll still likely be tough.

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the Dig for Life Challenge/SEMO Spike Classic tournament at the Show-Me Center in Cape? Word on the street is that they're going to change the format and break the tournament into two divisions, similar to how the ASU Play Day is organized down in Jonesboro, in an attempt to bring back the good teams that have left the tournament due to lack of competition (Dexter, Bernie, Advance, St. Vincent, Perryville, just to name a few). I doubt those teams will come back because they're all in tougher tournaments as it is now. It is a big tournament and for a good cause, but I can't say I blame those teams for leaving. Year after year, it seemed like it was always the same 16 teams making it to the Gold Bracket, and those teams don't get much out of crushing those Bootheel teams by scores of 25-1, 25-2, 25-3, etc., that always go to Bronze.

I'm told Advance has left the Woodland Tournament and is going to be competing in the Notre Dame Volleyball Fest. Not sure who will be replacing the Hornets at the WIT, though. Jackson will also be participating in the Perryville Tournament, which has become the toughest tournament in Southeast Missouri. Their schedule shows that they've dropped out of the Southern Illinois (Carbondale) Preview Tournament and are still playing in the Dig for Life and SEMO Conference Tournaments. With Coach Dave in charge, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually dropped out of those two tournaments as well, as they are pretty weak. He'll probably try to get them into some bigger and tougher tournaments in the St. Louis area, if I had to guess.

BRING ON VOLLEYBALL SEASON!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by The Legend on Mon, Jun 26, 2017, at 12:16 AM
  • Garrison is out with a torn ACL. After losing Thurman to the same injury last year it's pretty tough to swallow. At least Thurman will be back.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Mon, Jun 26, 2017, at 7:43 AM
  • that really brings Dexter back to the pack, still will be solid but will not have the areas best go to player. They will struggle. Hope Garrison recovers and is successful in college. I would say Advance is now the top team in the area.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Mon, Jun 26, 2017, at 8:23 AM
  • Dexter still has a ton of height and a lot of athletes. They will still be a very tough out.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Jun 26, 2017, at 11:14 AM
  • not near the same team, will win the games they should win on their schedule but will struggle in tournament play and district play. Losing a senior who has lettered her previous three years is a huge blow, looking at the stats from last year in the post season she carried them. They may be able to distribute the load more but she was the main attraction in big games.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Mon, Jun 26, 2017, at 11:22 AM
  • Hate to hear that about Miss Garrison. I wish her a speedy recovery and hope that she does well at college. I've never seen her play but I hear that she's quite a spectacle. Dexter seems to always produce a good volleyball program and I'm sure Coach Carmen will work them into shape! They'll still be tough, in my opinion, but definitely keep an eye on Advance and Bloomfield.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jun 27, 2017, at 11:45 PM
  • Will Garrison be back for basketball?

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Fri, Jul 7, 2017, at 11:08 PM
  • Class 1 will have several teams in the SEMO area that will be solid. Advance, St Vincent, Bernie, Lesterville, Leopold, and Valle I think will be the top teams. Can't really think of anyone else that is returning the talent that these teams are returning. I think it will come back down to Advance, Valle and Lesterville in that sectional to make it to state. I know all three of these teams are returning a bunch of talent. I think all 3 of these teams are playing tomorrow at the Jackson shootout. I know Advance/Lesterville will get a chance to play each other tomorrow. I think Lesterville is senior dominated with a couple younger ones mixed in. I think Advance is younger dominated with a couple older kids mixed in that group. Valle is senior dominated and return the best 4 from 2nd place state team last year.

Should be a great year for volleyball.

Dexter-with Garrison they are a final four team-without her they are not. She will be missed big time by them and it's awful the kid had to suffer this her senior year. Such a wonderful kid and athlete to watch play.

-- Posted by semovbfan on Mon, Jul 10, 2017, at 9:16 AM
  • Seen Ste. Gen. Valle, Lesterville, Jackson , Bluff and Farmington at the licking camp a couple of weeks ago. Valle beat Ste. Gen. in the finals and looked good in all phases. SG will be a solid class 3 team. Lesterville looked good and Farmington and Bluff will be solid. Coach Mirly will get his girls up to speed as the season moves forward.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Tue, Jul 11, 2017, at 8:27 AM
  • Lesterville and Advance split today at Jackson summer league.

-- Posted by semovbfan on Tue, Jul 11, 2017, at 2:58 PM
  • Garrison plans to work hard to be back for the last part of basketball. Hopefully she is a fast healer!

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Jul 11, 2017, at 3:09 PM
  • Advance also beat Dexter (without Garrison) in the Jackson shootout.

I've heard that Leopold and Winona are joining the Perryville Tournament this year. If that's true, then this tournament is going to be loaded with the Class 1 bigwigs: Advance, Bernie, Bismarck, Leopold, Lesterville, St. Vincent, Valle Catholic, and Winona.

-- Posted by The Legend on Fri, Jul 14, 2017, at 12:00 AM
  • Nice and hopefully this is true. 8 top notch class 1 teams in this field. Now we just need Santa Fe, Northland Christian, and New Haven to join this year and it could be the Class 1 state championship preview. Isn't Eminence in this tourney too???

-- Posted by semovbfan on Fri, Jul 14, 2017, at 9:53 AM
  • Eminence isn't in the Perryville Tournament, SEMOVBFan. They are, however, in the Dig for Life Challenge at SEMO along with Winona and New Haven (and Lesterville). Eminence participates in two other tournaments in the Southwest Missouri area. I doubt Santa Fe and Northland Christian will be joining any tournaments in this area, as they're both located in Northwest Missouri so I'm sure there are plenty of strong tournaments in the Kansas City area that'd be closer to home for them, but yeah, that would be nice to see a possible preview of the Class 1 state championship. Valle Catholic usually plays in a tournament up in the St. Charles area and I think they've won it for the past four seasons, in addition to their MAAA Conference Tournament.

Does anyone familiar with Perryville know if the tournament is going to grow to more than 20 teams? I'm just curious if the tournament is expanding or if other teams are dropping out. I can't find a schedule anywhere so I assume they're still in the process of adding teams? Leopold and Winona are the only two new teams that I've seen that's joined the tournament, so I'm guessing that they're taking the two JV teams' places from last year's tournament.

-- Posted by The Legend on Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 12:39 AM
  • Here is the official list of teams for the Perryville tournament. It has grown to 24 teams for this fall. And when I was expanding it, I officially invited Lutheran South, Mt. View Liberty, Santa Fe, Northland Christian, Hermann, Fatima, New Haven, and a few others.

Here is the list of 24

Perryville 1

Perryville 2

St. Vincent

Valle

Bloomfield

Scott City

Arcadia Valley

Bismarck

Cape

Advance

Lesterville

Saxony

Fredericktown

North County

Clearwater

Bernie

DeSoto

Park Hills Central

MICDS

Winona

Jackson

Leopold

Eagle Ridge

Doniphan

Tournament is September 30

-- Posted by coachmirly on Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 2:40 AM
  • No one has mentioned the Woodland team. They were a little inconsistent last year but are returning most of their starters. Southeast Missouri with so many great teams it will be fun to see who rises to the top.

-- Posted by Hammy on Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 6:11 PM
  • Thanks for the list, Coach Dave, and best of luck to you at Jackson this season. Glad to see that the tournament has grown. Hey SEMOVBFan, I was wrong: maybe Northland Christian and Santa Fe WILL come down to the tournament one year! =)

I don't know much about MICDS other than that they're a private school from St. Louis, so they're probably pretty good. Doniphan and Eagle Ridge, eh, not so much. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Advance and Valle Catholic in the championship match again, but again, it's still very, very early.

Hammy, enlighten us about Woodland. I know they still have the Rhodes girl as a senior this year but don't know too much else about them. I thought maybe they would be in the Perryville Tournament this year too.

Does anyone happen to have a list of the teams that are in the Notre Dame Volleyball Fest? I know Advance is the new team in it this year but wondering if it's the same teams as last year of if there's another new team or two. I think last year it was Bernie, Dexter, Lindbergh, Notre Dame, Perryville, St. Vincent, and Ste. Genevieve. Thanks!

-- Posted by The Legend on Sun, Jul 16, 2017, at 12:14 AM
  • I think Woodland is similar to Bloomfield in that they did not graduate any starters. The Rhodes girl is one of the best in the area and they also have some strong younger players that should be able to play up.

-- Posted by Hammy on Sun, Jul 16, 2017, at 6:10 PM
  • Looks like an interesting mix of teams at Rib City this week in Cape!! Looking forward to the outcome!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Jul 16, 2017, at 7:34 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: