Semoball

High School Softball Forum: Sikeston softball

Posted by Softball Warrior on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 4:44 PM:

I wish Sikeston would take some of the money they spend on other sports and hire a decent softball coach.This guy they have now knows nothing about the sport.I guess the girls will just have to suffer while he gets his on the job training. It sucks because I know there were more qualqualified applicants than him.So with the losing our softball program will become an even bigger joke to this community and there will be even less desire to put any money into it.

Replies (90)

• Who's to blame for their dismal seasons before this guy?

-- Posted by gostlrams on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 4:48 PM
  • I guess it would be the coaches before him.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 4:53 PM
  • Actually they went 42-24 from 2008-2010 and about .500 the last two years so not too bad. The problem is theres been no emphasis on summer travel ball until the past few years. The rec league does not develop competitive hischool players, only travel ball can do that. Kelly high school's head coach has headed up a U14 travel team of mostly all-Kelly girls for years and a parent heads up the U18 team. None of our softball coaches have EVER gotten involved in summer ball. Its been up to kids parents to attempt travel ball.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 5:41 PM
  • Sikeston as a whole does not take girls sports very seriously. The only group that goes above and beyond to be extremely competitive is cheerleading and that cuz their head coach has been living and breathing it for the past twenty years or so. What a coincidence theyve won a dozen or so state titles!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 5:45 PM
  • Well thats great for 2008-2010 that coach is gone and lets see what kind of record this dude has over the necxt three years.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 6:09 PM
  • He dont know a softball from a soft pretzel.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 6:11 PM
  • No coach will succeed without emphasis on summer travel ball i can absolutely guarantee that. Also needs to be access to year round pitching development in sikeston. Pitching is 90% of the game in softball.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 6:42 PM
  • And from '06-07 that same coach won only 6 games. Then we parents started some travel ball and the girls responded with a buncha wins. Gotta get some serious tradition started in summer ball just like Kelly and notre dame and jackson, etc, etc. We need a coach who will start that tradition.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 6:50 PM
  • No coach will succeed without knowledge of the game either.Softball is not baseball and can't be coached as such.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 10:12 PM
  • Sounds like you got ur mind made up, good luck!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 10:25 PM
  • Why don't you go talk to the coach? Sit down and have a conversation. Share your knowledge of the game. Tell him you're softball warrior and you know the game better than he does. I doubt you do.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 10:49 PM
  • Now hoops why would softball warrior want to do that when they could just bash the guy from here?

-- Posted by trainhard on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 11:22 PM
  • Yes I do know the game better no doubt about it.Its not my place to share my knowledge of the game with him.Hes the one getting paid to do the job.Now im sorry im not entitled to an opinion. But this was more about Sikeston hiring bettter coaches for the girls or at least utilizing the ones they already have.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 11:44 PM
  • If you are a brilliant softball mind why wouldn't you share your insight? Are you afraid he would find out who you are? You obviously care about the program since you're posting about it. You obviously prefer the team to succeed. Why don't you help them? What could it hurt to have a face to face chat with the coach and offer your knowledge? What's the worst he could say? I guarantee you if I knew something was wrong I would share my opinions with the coach in a private meeting. I wouldn't hide and bash anonymously. That just seems, well, a little cowardly.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 1:53 AM
  • Ok sounds good coach

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 7:25 AM
  • Wow that was so insightful baseball guy.You must be a psychic you hit the nail on the head.Could you give me tonights lottery numbers too.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 7:58 AM
  • Actually baseballguy you should be ashamed getting on here and bashing the girls.Saying they have no talent is just pathetic. What if one of those players read this.I'll be praying for you.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 8:16 AM
  • So softball warrior will be praying for baseball guy today while he continues to bash the coach behind a name. Got it. Makes perfect sense right?

-- Posted by trainhard on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 8:51 AM
  • Nobody is perect

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 8:53 AM
  • Except your softball knowledge. You've got that all figured out.

-- Posted by trainhard on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 9:07 AM
  • This is true

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 9:34 AM
  • Summer travel ball DEVELOPS talent. Most parents think the high school coach can magically develop talent in the two weeks of practice prior to the season. Aint gonna happen. The best coach on earth cant consistently win without a certain level of talent. Why is SHS hoops so successful? The boys play year round either on a summer team or in pickup games. Theyve bought in to the coaches system. When we tried to get some interest in summer travel softball only a handful of girls showed interest, but those were enough to have some winning seasons. The best suggestion to a new coach is to get involved in creating a sustainable offseason development program, but getting the girls to buy into is sometimes easier said than done. Theres just no precedent or tradition of that here in sikeston.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 9:38 AM
  • And yes, those that complain the most and coach bash tend to be the least likely to come up with productive solutions.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 10:03 AM
  • Ok I've done a little research. Sikeston's softball team was 11-10 last year. They had to replace four of the top five hitters. They have eight first year players. I'm curious where these sky high expectations are coming from? How do you know what the coach knows or doesn't know about softball? Have you met with him and discussed softball strategies? You're judging this guy after only 3 or 4 games? Wow, tough crowd.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 12:33 PM
  • Good points hoops! Here's a simple recipe for coach bashers:

Step #1-Call school AD and schedule a meeting with AD, bashed coach and yourself

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 1:48 PM
  • And then the other thing I am curious about. Softball Warrior jumps a guy for a comment about the softball team's lack of talent and says what if the girls get on here and read it. So explain to me how bashing the coach publicly is helping matters? What if the girls read that? Sounds a little hypocritical. How are the girls going to improve if all they read on the forum is some daddy (or mommy) that isn't happy with the coach and the coach doesn't know what he's doing? How is that helping? Softball Warrior, you are hurting the program and the team with each passing comment. Just so you know. If you want the team to succeed, then be supportive of the coach and his decisions. If you aren't happy with the choice the school made in choosing the coach, then that is your right. But bashing publicly is not the way to go about it.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 2:55 PM
  • Believe me I do support this team.Much more than you will ever know.The guy told his players he knows nothing about softball. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.The only thing being bashed is Sikestons lack of concern for girls sports.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 4:16 PM
  • Nobody expects the guy to teach players anything in 2 weeks.But there are stratagies and tactics that should be executed and with that can make an average team better.But only he can make those calls and the knowledge is lacking.Sorry if you dont like it but its true.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 4:23 PM
  • I can see it right now. Softball warrior is probably someone that sits in the stands and contradicts everything the coach is trying to do. Yea that's supporting the team.

-- Posted by trainhard on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 5:41 PM
  • I think the coach and unhappy fan may have already had an unofficial meeting. Sounds like softball warrior is the fan and semo hoops is the coach. No body else had had many comments on the subject. Why don't y'all just set it up and make it an official meeting?

-- Posted by basketball365 on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 6:09 PM
  • I'm game. I'm not the coach but if Softball Warrior sets up a meeting with the coach, I will gladly be there. And I don't know anything about softball, but I know that daddys and mommys getting on public forums bashing coaches is complete and total BS and absolutely cowardice. Step forward and be a man or woman meet this coach face to face. Lets get together, we can all discuss our thoughts on Sikeston softball. My guess is Softball Warrior will continue to remain anonymous. I seriously doubt he, or she, will share their expertise and thoughts in person.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Sep 7, 2013, at 10:57 PM

As a recent grad from sikeston... Nobody cares even a little bit about girls softball besides the girls that play and their parents... No offence just bein honest... It isnt a money maker regardless of if they were state champs or if they lost every game.. So there really isnt a reason to waste more government money on hiring a really good coach.. Maybe if the girls softball games brought in more money than it takes to run the lights during the game they would have a better coach

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sun, Sep 8, 2013, at 12:25 AM
  • wwell jest holds on here sobtballwakkior, just whot do you now about sofball Bucko? i haves a cusin that play sofball and she is good pal. why, coulds you evens play at all Bucko? sumohoops you talks to much Bucko, whot whot?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Sun, Sep 8, 2013, at 9:39 AM
  • Exactly...very well said Sonic

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Sun, Sep 8, 2013, at 10:58 AM
  • 1. Give new coach a chance! Every coach out there has been 'new' at one time! (uh, Duh..)

2. The freshman pitcher is awesome, she will be great backup to existing pitcher but also holds her own in a starting position!

-parent of a former player

-- Posted by causeisaidso on Wed, Sep 11, 2013, at 10:34 AM
  • Coaches coach and parents parent. Its when they get confused as to their roles that this type of banter arises.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Sep 11, 2013, at 11:48 AM
  • Some really good coaching over the past 10 days...NOT!!!

But he's trying, bless his heart.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Wed, Sep 11, 2013, at 9:24 PM
  • You know your right the girls have played hard.I just want them to enjoy some wins.Im gonna be more positive.Its as the old saying goes when the team's winning the girls are doing great.When the team is losing the coach sucks.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Wed, Sep 11, 2013, at 10:33 PM
  • Coach here's a suggestion move your 3rd baseman to second.Put your jv catcher on 3rd and put your usual 2nd baseman in the outfield.

You've got to many good hitters at the top of the order, spread them out some.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 6:30 AM
  • Well with that suggestion they prolly won't lose the rest of the season.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 7:14 AM
  • Hey im trying to be positive.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 7:34 AM
  • I got a suggestion for you Biglew SHUT UP!!!

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 7:48 AM
  • Mine for you would be grow some B@!!5 and go have a 1 on 1 with him instead of bashing him on here.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 9:15 AM
  • Ok warrior its good that ur now stating some ideas to help but let me answer ur suggestions. First of all no successful coach will spread his stronger hitters up and down the lineup. I understand ur reasoning but by doing this, it will take away at-bats from ur better hitters at the end of the game. Coaches place their better hitters at top of lineup in order to maximize their at-bats. Your suggestion isnt without merit but no coaches do it. At-bats are of supreme importance. I cant comment on ur second suggestion cuz i dont know the players well enough. I know the third baseman well enough though and she is right where she needs to be. Regardless, ur suggestions unfortunately wont solve the fact that shs is giving up ten runs a game. Softball is 90% pitching. The other 10% is pitching. If the coach could develop an offseason pitching regimen it would be helpful, softball pitchers need to work every month in the offseason with perhaps a month off. 100 pitches per day at least 4-5 days a week. A humble opinion.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 9:28 AM
  • Sorry but I disagree.Your taking away at bats now the way it is.

As far as moving the 3rd baseman to second , in my opinion is going to help reduce your issue of errors.Thats whats killing us and lack of offense.Yes pitching is a lot of it walks will kill you but were hardly giving up any walks by our starting pitcher.You have got to have players in positions that are going to make those plays.I've seen that jv catcher play third and she would do fine.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 9:54 AM
  • Biglew dont you got bicycle seats that need sniffing down at the park?

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 9:56 AM
  • Like i said ur first suggestion is certainly worthy of consideration but since no successful coaches over the past 100yrs have utilized ur strategy, ya gotta give in on this one. Im just looking at what experienced coaches do and none of them spread the better hitters, they lump them at the top of the lineup to maximize at-bats. Im not as smart as them so im just passing on what works for them.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 10:00 AM
  • What im saying is we have batters in the 1 and 2 spot that neeed to be 3, 4 hitters.With girls lower in the lineup that are good bunters.

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 10:26 AM
  • ciri...you are 100% correct. You DO NOT spread out your best hitters. They are at the top of the lineup to maximize at bats (just as you stated). To suggest "spreading out the better hitters" just shows a lack of baseball/softball knowledge.

Do you see anyone in baseball or softball put ther best hitter in the 8 hole? No. They probably bat 3rd to potentially have some runners on to drive in. Pujols hit 3rd for a reason.

Sorry Warrior. Gotta call this one like I see it. I couldn't tell you about the personnel, but I would question your reasoning strictly from your lineup comment.

Credibility...gone.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 10:38 AM
  • LOL ok rocket

-- Posted by Softball Warrior on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 10:44 AM
  • Warrior, that kinda change is definitely within reason. I thought u meant adding strong hitters to bottom of lineup to add punch. What ur suggesting is gonna boil down to coaching philosophy and the type of team u have. There's no right or wrong in this case, the coach has to evaluate and then decide what he feels will work best. But he should never put stronger hitters towards back end of lineup. I misunderstood ur original comment.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 10:48 AM
  • "If u base your coaching on listening to the parents and fans, you will soon be sitting with them."

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Sep 12, 2013, at 11:53 AM
  • Has this issue been resolved yet?

-- Posted by Hardware Warrior on Thu, Sep 19, 2013, at 12:16 PM
  • So, I hear the softball coach has plans to hang a banner up this year...yeah I laughed too.

I see so many problems with this program, so please take notes coach.

1- most of these girls play travel ball and have a lot of experience

2- they are not 8 year old beginners so please stop treating them like they are.

3- your internet research to learn how to coach softball isn't working. please retire.

4- again these girls are not 8 years old, and have way more experience than you in softball.

5- quit with the crappy calls from the corner, your impressing no one.

6- if you want trophies for your empty softball display case, ask a few of these travel girls to loan you some from their "winning" travel teams.

In all honesty, you may be a great guy. but softball is serious in these parts of the country, and I am pretty sure you relies you are in over your head. Sikeston really needs to get an experienced coach to come help these girls. As a father of a ball player from another town, I know first hand of the expense that goes into training and hiring private instructors to work with these girls to get them ready for school ball, and hopefully college ball at a later date. they have people who are trained to work with them, and do not need to be taught wrong like they are being taught on this team...

enough complaining from me. keep the same path and enjoy last place this season.

-- Posted by pitchers dad on Mon, Sep 23, 2013, at 10:23 PM
  • As i said previously up above, there has never been a sustained period of serious competitive softball in sikeston. Any coach coming in this year was gonna be in over his/her head. Until we get a coach who will stay longterm and develop off season training, it will never get to a serious level. The two best teams in the area for the past fifteen years are kelly and ND. Both programs pretty well tell the players they better play on their respective school's travel team or they wont see much playing time in the fall. And both head coaches coach travel ball. You may be right that this new coach isnt the person to do this, but its gonna take way more than softball knowledge to turn this program into whats considered serious.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Sep 23, 2013, at 11:25 PM
  • Different name, same attacking banter. Get off the soapbox and speak to the coach face to face. You will get no followers on here bashing coaches or programs from your holier than thou stance. Kids get on here unfortunately and read this stuff and it does affect them. Maybe undermining the coach/team is your ultimate goal.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Sep 24, 2013, at 7:59 AM
  • Here we go again, coach bashing is as old as the hills. Say what you want but the product i saw on the field yesterday represented sikeston as well as any team ive seen in the past nine years. They won 15 games which is one or two off the school record. Usually we dont look like we belong on the same field as ND but yesterday we competed and belonged. Coach bashing is such a joke.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 12:25 PM
  • I was thinking the same thing just think how far they could've went if softballwarrior was the coach.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 1:02 PM
  • if you consider hitting the ball, getting on base, and trying to score one-dimensional....then yes they were. Oh wait, that is a pretty good recipe for winning. Now whether your daughter in the past or present wasn't the main focus, take a step back. You can't stand the fact that they even got to the Finals. It just eats at you that they even got that far. So just swallow your pride and admit, they accomplished more than you thought and move on to another negative aspect of your life and try to figure out a way to ruin that too.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 1:48 PM
  • You looked ignorant last year. You look ignorant again this year. It is bashing. They improved significantly from last year's record if I read it right...but I'm sure that was entirely due to your kid's performance.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 1:49 PM
  • uh oh, Farm is on the case now,....lookout...lol

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 1:54 PM
  • Hide yo kids, hide yo wife.

And heck, it's an internal Sikeston argument...what am I trying to pull here anyway?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 1:58 PM
  • Actually Maggie Shepherds blast was pretty one-dimensional. It went one direction; really, really, really far.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 2:05 PM
  • Fight the good fight Farm. No dogs in the fight for me either, just can't stand when parents bash coaches for nothing more than personal reasons.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 2:10 PM
  • I think there is a simple solution here....if you don't like the program take your kid somewhere else!

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 3:03 PM
  • Good idea Fruit, she can take her kid to Kelly or ND where her kid will never cross the foul lines.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 3:20 PM
  • Ma'am? LMAO! Discuss? Like discuss bashing a coach? No thanks! I try not to interact to much with bitter parents!

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 3:55 PM
  • Or better yet, apply for the coaching position. Maybe in your mind you are a better coach!

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 3:57 PM
  • Ok obviously you are alluding to not bunting enough, not enough small-ball. Wouldnt have worked yesterday. ND's "assistant" coach (in name only) takes his starters each summer and as a unit they play up to fifty games, sometimes more. So ur strategy is to bunt against a team that is playing its eightieth game of the year whose "assistant" coach has been with them every step of the way? A nice thought i guess but ur chances of success are nil, teams that annually play together in eighty games have no problems defensively with small-ball.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 3:57 PM
  • And small-ball requires slap hitters and speed, sikeston is not a small-ball team, too many right handed hitters and not enough speed.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 4:00 PM
  • I don't think that Warrior really wants to discuss things. He just wants to be negative. I don't like people that are always negative.

-- Posted by trainhard on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 4:21 PM
  • Misery loves company! You hate the coaches, you hate the teachers, and you hate the school. Go to another district...Please!

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 5:04 PM
  • Go get you a coaching job. Sounds like you have it figured out.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 5:05 PM
  • I guess the coach must have ruined his daughters chances at a scholarship to Ucla.....if only they would have bunted more.....another dream smashed...

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 5:12 PM
  • If you cant hit a rise ball standing still ur surely not gonna hit it while ur moving forward and slapping, plus like i said we havnt but one or two lefties. We were down six runs after two innings, a good coach doesnt steal bases down six runs. Again, u hafta have team speed to play small-ball and in that area we lack. ND has a stronger program than we do, nothing done differently yesterday wouldve changed the outcome. You can lament the fact we arent as good as ND but thats not the coaches fault.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 5:14 PM
  • Oop down six after three innings

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 5:15 PM
  • Softballwarrior has been suspended. While opinions (even negative ones) and disagreements on coaching philosophies are allowed, personal and childish attacks aren't. I deleted comments that crossed the line.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 6:06 PM
  • And I am sure you served up a nice plate of cupcakes while doing so.

-- Posted by bigobe on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 6:14 PM
  • One day you will grasp the purpose of a photo shoot designed to look like a block party, bigobe. Until then, I wish you many happy troll comment opportunities.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 7:17 PM
  • On a related note, this happened: http://semoball.com/blogs/1909/entry/60003/

Thinking of baking Dante a cake to celebrate!!

#thisthreadisofficiallyofficallyuseless

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 7:19 PM
  • Just bring the leftovers Friday night to the studio! Lol

-- Posted by mandm96 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 7:36 PM
  • Sikeston made it to their first district championship game. Sounds like a great improvement this year!

Great job coach and players!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 8:48 PM
  • First of give credit to Notre Dame, they are good year in year out....Sikeston is not. Look at their youth program....it is terrible. I watched a double header when 58 runs were scored on 4 hits. The sad part was only one coach went to the mound. Nobody teaches small ball and one must be able to play all spectrums. I have never seen a successful team that can't do it. I also know you can not teach this in just a few weeks before the season starts, so you need to look at all parts of the game....lastly, didn't Kelly finish 2nd in districts

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 9:03 PM
  • There is a bigger point here. What is your definition of a "traveling" team and what is the importance of that to a high school team?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 11:03 PM
  • Kelly and ND get most or all of their varsity starters together and form summer softball teams representing each school. These teams play weekend tourneys in St loo, cape, etc. the big advantage is that the girls play together all summer, its not a conglomerate of girls from different schools. Thus by the time HS starts the two schools' teams have played 30-50 summer games as a team. Its a great way to strengthen ur school team. They have both done this for many years and it has resulted in very strong programs. Sikeston, as an example, only had rec league until a few years ago, which was very noncompetitive. In recent years several sikeston girls have become involved in summer ball and it has resulted in mild to moderate success at the HS level, several .500 or above .500 teams in past seven years. But nowhere near the success of the above schools that are able to form summer teams year in year out with their HS starters.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 11:35 PM
  • The longstanding ND and Kelly varsity coaches are the organizers of their respective summer programs, which also include players/teams at the U14 level.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 13, 2014, at 11:43 PM
  • I think Sikeston did a wonderful job this season. They turned 6 wins into 15 in one season...they did it as a team. To expect this team to have won more games or to have won their district (against a team that they have never beaten) is a bit unrealistic. I know it's hard to watch your daughter/sons play their last season and even harder to watch their last game end in a loss but the fact is, ND is just a better team. Bunting is a big part of softball and so is stealing bases. However, no amount of bunting would have kept 10 runs off the board. I hope your daughter took more positive away from this season than you did. After all, it's about the kids not thier bitter parents.

-- Posted by JonSolo on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 10:25 AM
  • Agreed agreed agreed, well said

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 10:59 AM
  • Thank you ciri and I agree. My question was more to warrior . Some think that because their kid was on a "traveling" team that they are somehow better than others who were not on such a team.

Being on such a team does not make them superstars and better players than others. Some get blinded by that label.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 12:12 PM
  • Travel teams tend to play better competition compared to local rec leagues. Kids who play competitive travel ball will definitely improve faster than those who dont so in that respect yes, the kids tend to be more advanced if they play lotsa competitive summerball. Kelly is a prime example. They dominate year in year out cuz their kids buy in to their coach's summer travel ball program, from an early age. Its not that they magically grow softball talent, its hard work and competition that breeds the success.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 14, 2014, at 12:36 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: